Where will Jokic rank among all time Center’s with another chip this year ?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,678

Re: Where will Jokic rank among all time Center’s with another chip this year ? 

Post#81 » by nate33 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:20 pm

lessthanjake wrote:To answer the question of this thread, I think there’s a distinction between Jokic’s ranking in overall greatness and his ranking in peak greatness. In terms of peak, he’s already very arguably the #1 center of all time, and another championship would just further cement that. But I think this thread is aiming at overall greatness. That’s a more difficult question, since Jokic is in the middle of his career still, and we can’t give Jokic credit for things he hasn’t yet done. It’s a huge disadvantage to be ranked in overall greatness in the middle of your career against guys whose careers are over, since players accumulate more and more greatness as their careers go on.

What I’ll say is this:

The following centers placed above Jokic in the PC Board top 100 prior to this season: Kareem, Russell, Hakeem, Wilt, Shaq, Mikan, Robinson, and Moses Malone. Let’s assume that Jokic is already above everyone else, and then talk about each of these.

- I think it will be almost impossible for Jokic to reach Kareem in overall greatness. Kareem just played at a high level for so long. I don’t see Jokic bothering to play for long enough, and he got a later start as a totally elite player, so there’s just going to be a massive longevity gap there. Another championship this year definitely wouldn’t get Jokic there. He’d need to have things go immaculately for him the rest of his career to catch Kareem, and I just don’t see it.

- Russell is a more difficult comparison, and really just depends on how much someone discounts Russell’s era. For someone that discounts Russell’s era a lot, then Jokic can finish above Russell, and actually may already be above him. But if one takes Russell’s era at face value or almost face value, it’s going to be almost impossible to catch Russell, because of just how much Russell won. So I see this as similar to Kareem, where Jokic would need things to go immaculately for the rest of his career to catch him, but with the added caveat that that’s not the case if you discount Russell for his era.

- Relatedly, Mikan is partly a question of whether you discount his era—which was an even more nascent era than Russell’s. To me, though, Jokic is already above Mikan. Mikan had very little longevity, so Jokic winning another title this year would pretty clearly be enough to have him above Mikan IMO.

- I think Jokic is already above Moses and Robinson at this point. Moses is an interesting comparison, because he too was the NBA’s best player for half a decade. But Jokic is better and with another title would have more titles than Moses. Moses had a long career, so he’d have an advantage there, but he wasn’t really in the conversation for best player except for that five-year span, and Jokic has already had 2 or 3 really-good-but-not-the-best years like that before his peak, so I don’t think that that can overcome peak Jokic just being better. Meanwhile, with two titles as his team’s undisputed best player and a multi-year span as the league’s clear best player (which Robinson never had), I think Jokic passes Robinson, who doesn’t have a huge longevity advantage to make up for it.

- Hakeem, Wilt, and Shaq are the toughest zone. To me, Jokic is on the path to end up above those guys, but he’s not quite there yet and I don’t know that a title this year would get him above them. To me, Hakeem is the smallest lift to get over, so maybe I’d have Jokic above Hakeem already if he won a title this year. But overall, these are the guys that Jokic hasn’t passed but realistically could.

Very well stated. I agree with everything.

I think if he wins a championship this year, he surely passes Hakeem. He'll have 2 titles without All-Star teammates to Hakeem's 1 title without all-star teammates plus one with Clyde. He'll have 3 MVP's to Hakeems' 1. (And Hakeem was MVP runner up for only 1 other year, so he would have only had 2 even if Michael Jordan didn't exist.) But most importantly, I think Jokic is playing in a much more competitive era - particularly this season. The league is absolutely loaded with talent this year. Hakeem's Rockets had pretty lousy competition outside of the Bulls.

I think a good case can be made that he passes Shaq too. Shaq was an incredibly dominant force, but he still required an All-Star caliber wing to win. He couldn't do it on his own like Jokic can because he can't be both a PG and a C like Jokic.

Comparing him to Wilt, just like Russell and Mikan, is a complicated endeavor which has no real resolution. It just depends on how you compare eras. My stance is that the competition is better now with the whole world feeding into the NBA, and there's more money, technology and training to develop and incentivize great players. So I tend to default to favoring post 1970's players over earlier eras. But that's just me.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,012

Post#82 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 16, 2024 9:20 pm

zero rings wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
mademan wrote:
The counterpoint here is that Jokic's teammates arent exactly great either. If they are to go b2b, it will be the worst 2-8 on a b2b team since Hakeem, and you can argue that one. He doesnt have 1 teammate who's made an all star team, all nba or all defense.

To win b2b with Jamal Murray/Aaron Gordon/MPJ as your next 3 best players (no disrespect) shows a very high level of impact...which makes sense as the advanced stats he puts up year over year puts him in league with peak Lebron.

Rubbish. Jamal Murray is an all-nba quality guy who just hasn't made an all-star team due to poorly timed injuries and bad luck. MPJ got a max contract for a reason, and Gordon and KCP are well above average starters. They also all fit perfectly around Jokic.

You think 94 Hakeem, 03 Duncan, etc, had a team like this around them? The fact none of them has made an all-star team is just a technicality.

Murray put in up 21-7-4 this RS, and 20-6 this playoffs. Last playoffs he put up 26-7-6. MPJ is putting up 17-7. This playoffs Gordon is putting up 15-8-5 while playing great D. Jokic has good players around him that fit. OK, they're not the support cast KG had in 08 for example, but they're certainly above average for a title support cast.

Murray has a 47% TS, a 12.9 PER, a -1.8 BPM, and a -11.2 on/off this postseason. He has never played close to an All-Star level in the regular season, and has never received a single vote for All-NBA.

You always like to point out how today’s league is so much stronger than past eras, but you don’t seem to consider that when evaluating Jokic and his supporting cast. Murray might be an All-Star guard in 2002, but in 2024 he’s not even a top 10 guard in the league. Gordon and Porter are solid role players on big contracts. This team is nothing special by 2024 standards and their success is entirely dependent on Jokic dominating every night.

Murray has had great games these playoffs too, but he's facing some tough defensive teams here, especially the Wolves.

Murray is definitely going to make some all-star teams if he keeps playing at his ordinary level and isn't injured for a chunk of games before the all-star break every year.

Gordon actually got some all-star buzz this season. I don't see him as an all-star, but he's certainly in the ballpark of a borderline one. MPJ is much the same. Well above average guy, who on another team could be putting up 20+ppg as the 2nd best player. If he was in that situation he might make an all-star team or two. KCP is not an all-star, but he's a heck of a 3&D starter.

You know who made recent all-star and all-nba teams? Julius Randle; who is worse than Murray in both the RS and PS. The league is stronger, but a 2nd banana for a title team who puts up 21-6 on (normally) good efficiency has a great chance of making an all-star team. He just needs to be healthier in the RS and to have a little luck.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#83 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 16, 2024 9:26 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Depends who is considered a center. I have him behind Kareem, Duncan, Shaq and Hakeem for sure, with no real way to ever catch those guys. Other than that I'm not sure. D.Rob doesn't have the longevity. That's probably it to be honest, since Russell and Wilt wouldn't be as good today. They just played in a trash league.

I think he can absolutely catch Shaq. Shaq at his peak was one of the most dominant players ever but accolades wise, Jokic could catch up.
Assuming he wins this year, Jokic will have 3 MVPs and 2 FMVPs.
Shaq 4 titles, 3 FMVPs and 1 MVP. The titles probably has Shaq in front but i think it will be debatable

Have you seen how much longevity Shaq had? You could argue hid prime extended from 94 through till 05 or 06; so 12-13 years. Jokic hasn't been elite that long and is already in his late 20s. Nor do I think Jokic was better peak to peak.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,717

Post#84 » by mademan » Thu May 16, 2024 9:27 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
zero rings wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Rubbish. Jamal Murray is an all-nba quality guy who just hasn't made an all-star team due to poorly timed injuries and bad luck. MPJ got a max contract for a reason, and Gordon and KCP are well above average starters. They also all fit perfectly around Jokic.

You think 94 Hakeem, 03 Duncan, etc, had a team like this around them? The fact none of them has made an all-star team is just a technicality.

Murray put in up 21-7-4 this RS, and 20-6 this playoffs. Last playoffs he put up 26-7-6. MPJ is putting up 17-7. This playoffs Gordon is putting up 15-8-5 while playing great D. Jokic has good players around him that fit. OK, they're not the support cast KG had in 08 for example, but they're certainly above average for a title support cast.

Murray has a 47% TS, a 12.9 PER, a -1.8 BPM, and a -11.2 on/off this postseason. He has never played close to an All-Star level in the regular season, and has never received a single vote for All-NBA.

You always like to point out how today’s league is so much stronger than past eras, but you don’t seem to consider that when evaluating Jokic and his supporting cast. Murray might be an All-Star guard in 2002, but in 2024 he’s not even a top 10 guard in the league. Gordon and Porter are solid role players on big contracts. This team is nothing special by 2024 standards and their success is entirely dependent on Jokic dominating every night.

Murray has had great games these playoffs too, but he's facing some tough defensive teams here, especially the Wolves.

Murray is definitely going to make some all-star teams if he keeps playing at his ordinary level and isn't injured for a chunk of games before the all-star break every year.

Gordon actually got some all-star buzz this season. I don't see him as an all-star, but he's certainly in the ballpark of a borderline one. MPJ is much the same. Well above average guy, who on another team could be putting up 20+ppg as the 2nd best player. If he was in that situation he might make an all-star team or two. KCP is not an all-star, but he's a heck of a 3&D starter.

You know who made recent all-star and all-nba teams? Julius Randle; who is worse than Murray in both the RS and PS. The league is stronger, but a 2nd banana for a title team who puts up 21-6 on (normally) good efficiency has a great chance of making an all-star team. He just needs to be healthier in the RS and to have a little luck.

Murray may make an all-star team at one point in a weak year with injuries and he gets the "too good of a team not to have multiple all-stars" bump. But 21/6 on ok efficiency is relatively pedestrian in the modern league. There are 7 guards in the west clearly better than him, imo (Luka,Shai,Kyrie,Steph,Ja,Book,Edwards) and there are a few others you can make real statistical arguments for.

Overall, in the league, he's clearly not a top 10 guard, they dont have a top 10 forward, not a top 10 bench...no matter what you think of them, this is very much one of the worst supporting casts to win multiple titles (if they end up winning a 2nd). It's a well built team that compliments Jokic well, but its not very talented historically speaking.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,454

Post#85 » by lessthanjake » Thu May 16, 2024 9:30 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
zero rings wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Rubbish. Jamal Murray is an all-nba quality guy who just hasn't made an all-star team due to poorly timed injuries and bad luck. MPJ got a max contract for a reason, and Gordon and KCP are well above average starters. They also all fit perfectly around Jokic.

If the Nuggets win more titles, then you’re right that Jamal Murray will likely end up being an all star. Not because he’s actually one of the top 24 players in the NBA (as I’ve shown in this thread, the data generally says he’s more like top 50), but because the 2nd best player on a multi-title-winning team pretty much automatically gets massive all-star consideration. If that occurred, it’d be Jokic carrying him to the accolade, not an indication that Jokic’s running mate is as good as the running mate on virtually any other title team in history.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 16, 2024 9:37 pm

shi-woo wrote:
Spoiler:
One_and_Done wrote:
mademan wrote:
The counterpoint here is that Jokic's teammates arent exactly great either. If they are to go b2b, it will be the worst 2-8 on a b2b team since Hakeem, and you can argue that one. He doesnt have 1 teammate who's made an all star team, all nba or all defense.

To win b2b with Jamal Murray/Aaron Gordon/MPJ as your next 3 best players (no disrespect) shows a very high level of impact...which makes sense as the advanced stats he puts up year over year puts him in league with peak Lebron.

Rubbish. Jamal Murray is an all-nba quality guy who just hasn't made an all-star team due to poorly timed injuries and bad luck. MPJ got a max contract for a reason, and Gordon and KCP are well above average starters. They also all fit perfectly around Jokic.

You're kind of proving the point though with that line, they all fit perfectly AROUND Jokic. He is the reason all of these dudes are maximizing their talents, and that's not even debatable. Watching the games and you see how easy offense is for all of these guys because of him. Aaron Gordon is an a;;y opp machine and baseline highlight waiting to happen because of his passes. MPJ is able to just be the elite shooter he is because he never has to create work out of dbls, and just catch and shoot. Same with KCP. Jamal get's to run the easiest pick and roll in the history of the game. Just watching the games you see all of this in action on a daily basis.

All of these guys are good starters, no one is going to argue that. The core 4 around Jokic are all extremely high character guys and I doubt you will find anyone on this board who doesn't like them, and doesn't think they are good players. You are misguided in thinking any of these guys would be AS without him, they are all in their primes, we've seen Gordon and KCP on another team, and it was no where close to AS levels. Murray and MPJ would be solid players, but the barometer to make the ASG is ridiculously high in the modern NBA, especially out West. The worst AS was Scottie Barnes this year who averaged 20/8/6. Out West? It was Paul George...Niether of those guys are on Georges level.

Again, you arent going to get much push back about early Duncan or Hakeems first title except from "No Jordan" people, and those are the only titles you can compare Jokic's to. Outside of that, you seem to be severely underestimating the supporting casts of other title teams.

They didn't just have multiple AS, they had multiple ANBA guys, and in many regards multiple MVP's/MVP candidates. As in other Top 10 players in the league. No matter how good you think Murray is, and you seem to think he is better than most people on this board, you can't deny he would be a 3rd option at best on 90% of title winning teams.

The worst 3rd option on a title team that didn't have 2 MVP/Top 5 candidates in my lifetime are Jrue Holiday (AS, ADEF), Tyson Chandler (ANBA, DpoY), and Rasheed Wallace (All Star). You'd be hard pressed to find people a title team that is worse than this Nuggets team outside of the two years you mentioned, and even then that's being dubious.

the 94 Rockets team was better 1-7 with Ottis, Maxwell, Horry, Jet, Ellie and Cassel. That team had a future AS and guy that got 6moty and DPoY votes coming off the bench. Ottis was an established 20-10 player. Horry we are all aware of.

That Tim Duncan team still had Robinson on it who made the AS game the year prior, and ANBA the two seasons after. Sean Elliot was still a former AS, and the rest of the roster chuck full of established vets who had already won rings or were part of fantastic teams (Ellie, Kerr, Purdue, Jerome, Avery) This team was just Dirks MAas but in 1999.

I wouldn't say these teams were better, but they had established veterans up and down the roster, and had multiple guys that could play. It won't seem exciting now because the nba has more talent, but those teams were not bad in the least in the non-MJ years of the 90's. You really can't say the same for this Nuggets team in the era of superteams and ring chasing.

Who cares about a teams depth "1 to 8" when they are top heavy? Who was Shaq and Kobe's 8th man? Nobody remembers or cares because they have Shaq and Kobe, so it hardly matters. The Nuggets are a team with 5 great starters who don't need much depth outside that. Season previews for a team don't begin with 'well the 02 Mavs and Kings have a better 8th man than the 02 Lakers, so they'll win'.

Murray played like an all-star last year when they won, and he'll likely need to for them to go all the way this year. This retrospective belief that the Wolves were the Nuggets Kryptonite all along is getting silly. They are a very good defensive team though and it's no surprise a banged up Murray is struggling at times.

Your analysis of the Spurs and Rockets is wildly inaccurate, e.g D.Rob was not an all-star in 02, and it doesn't matter if he had been because we're judging him in 03. If he falls off a cliff in 03, which he did btw, he doesn't get bonus points for how good he was in past years. Not only did the 03 Spurs not have anyone as good as Murray, they didn't even have anyone as good as Gordon or MPJ that year.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,591

Post#87 » by DaPessimist » Thu May 16, 2024 9:44 pm

On the left or right side of Hakeem.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,677

Post#88 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:09 am

One_and_Done wrote:
shi-woo wrote:
Spoiler:

You're kind of proving the point though with that line, they all fit perfectly AROUND Jokic. He is the reason all of these dudes are maximizing their talents, and that's not even debatable. Watching the games and you see how easy offense is for all of these guys because of him. Aaron Gordon is an a;;y opp machine and baseline highlight waiting to happen because of his passes. MPJ is able to just be the elite shooter he is because he never has to create work out of dbls, and just catch and shoot. Same with KCP. Jamal get's to run the easiest pick and roll in the history of the game. Just watching the games you see all of this in action on a daily basis.

All of these guys are good starters, no one is going to argue that. The core 4 around Jokic are all extremely high character guys and I doubt you will find anyone on this board who doesn't like them, and doesn't think they are good players. You are misguided in thinking any of these guys would be AS without him, they are all in their primes, we've seen Gordon and KCP on another team, and it was no where close to AS levels. Murray and MPJ would be solid players, but the barometer to make the ASG is ridiculously high in the modern NBA, especially out West. The worst AS was Scottie Barnes this year who averaged 20/8/6. Out West? It was Paul George...Niether of those guys are on Georges level.

Again, you arent going to get much push back about early Duncan or Hakeems first title except from "No Jordan" people, and those are the only titles you can compare Jokic's to. Outside of that, you seem to be severely underestimating the supporting casts of other title teams.

They didn't just have multiple AS, they had multiple ANBA guys, and in many regards multiple MVP's/MVP candidates. As in other Top 10 players in the league. No matter how good you think Murray is, and you seem to think he is better than most people on this board, you can't deny he would be a 3rd option at best on 90% of title winning teams.

The worst 3rd option on a title team that didn't have 2 MVP/Top 5 candidates in my lifetime are Jrue Holiday (AS, ADEF), Tyson Chandler (ANBA, DpoY), and Rasheed Wallace (All Star). You'd be hard pressed to find people a title team that is worse than this Nuggets team outside of the two years you mentioned, and even then that's being dubious.

the 94 Rockets team was better 1-7 with Ottis, Maxwell, Horry, Jet, Ellie and Cassel. That team had a future AS and guy that got 6moty and DPoY votes coming off the bench. Ottis was an established 20-10 player. Horry we are all aware of.

That Tim Duncan team still had Robinson on it who made the AS game the year prior, and ANBA the two seasons after. Sean Elliot was still a former AS, and the rest of the roster chuck full of established vets who had already won rings or were part of fantastic teams (Ellie, Kerr, Purdue, Jerome, Avery) This team was just Dirks MAas but in 1999.

I wouldn't say these teams were better, but they had established veterans up and down the roster, and had multiple guys that could play. It won't seem exciting now because the nba has more talent, but those teams were not bad in the least in the non-MJ years of the 90's. You really can't say the same for this Nuggets team in the era of superteams and ring chasing.

Who cares about a teams depth "1 to 8" when they are top heavy? Who was Shaq and Kobe's 8th man? Nobody remembers or cares because they have Shaq and Kobe, so it hardly matters. The Nuggets are a team with 5 great starters who don't need much depth outside that. Season previews for a team don't begin with 'well the 02 Mavs and Kings have a better 8th man than the 02 Lakers, so they'll win'.

Murray played like an all-star last year when they won, and he'll likely need to for them to go all the way this year. This retrospective belief that the Wolves were the Nuggets Kryptonite all along is getting silly. They are a very good defensive team though and it's no surprise a banged up Murray is struggling at times.

Your analysis of the Spurs and Rockets is wildly inaccurate, e.g D.Rob was not an all-star in 02, and it doesn't matter if he had been because we're judging him in 03. If he falls off a cliff in 03, which he did btw, he doesn't get bonus points for how good he was in past years. Not only did the 03 Spurs not have anyone as good as Murray, they didn't even have anyone as good as Gordon or MPJ that year.

That 2003 Spurs team was elite defensively and they had more depth than the Nuggets. Jokic is carrying this Nuggets team like Duncan carried the 2003 Spurs. But you over estimate Porter and Gordon regardless. Porter is one dimensional and Gordon is hot and cold offensively.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 17, 2024 12:26 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
shi-woo wrote:
Spoiler:

That 2003 Spurs team was elite defensively and they had more depth than the Nuggets. Jokic is carrying this Nuggets team like Duncan carried the 2003 Spurs. But you over estimate Porter and Gordon regardless. Porter is one dimensional and Gordon is hot and cold offensively.

This statement is so ridiculous it is self-rebutting. Go take a look at how the market valued those Spurs players. Contracts aren't always correct obviously, but the league must have literally been blind every off-season when the 'elite' Spurs were coming up for new contracts. Porter is 'one dimensional' in the same way you might describe KD as 'one dimensional'.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,106

Post#90 » by SkyHookFTW » Fri May 17, 2024 12:44 am

Roger Murdock wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:My rough rankings...

1A/1B: Kareem, Russell
3: Shaq
4. Hakeem
5. Chamberlain
6. Moses
7. Mikan
8. Jokic
9. Robinson
10. Ewing
11. McAdoo
12. Reed
13. Howard
14. Cowens
15. Embiid

I think hes knocking at door for #3 in a few years. I'll probably leap from hm to #6 after this playoff run.

Mikan :lol:

This is why you can't compare era's.

Wilt/Russell...I mean, how do you compare modern centers to those guys? They had outrageous advantages that contributed to legendary careers that no player will ever get to have again. It's like knowing you can't rank Ken Griffey Jr. over Babe Ruth, but...we all know who's really better. :lol:

I think if Jokic wins a second championship without any kind of All Star teammate, he's at least on par with Shaq, Hakeem and Duncan. I think he's already surpassed Robinson. And his story is far from written. Who knows in five years.

How many players in NBA history were CLEARLY the best player in the league? Its like Mikan, Jordan, LeBron, and Jokic basically?

Of course 75 years of development players are more skilled and talented today. Doesnt mean we should look down pioneers of the sport. Babe Ruth wouldnt make an MLB roster today.

If you don't think Babe Ruth wouldn't make a MLB roster today, you are foolish. His eye/hand coordination was measured by medical professionals at the university level and is still among the best ever measured from a MLB player.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,081

Post#91 » by jfs1000d » Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 am

Bornstellar wrote:Still behind Kareem/Russell/Wilt/Shaq/Duncan (if you consider him a C) but ahead of Moses and Hakeem

Admittedly it's hard to rank Russell/Wilt but I feel their legacies speak for themselves

Let’s out wilt and Russell ins different tier. We can’t argue about them. It is like Babe Ruth, you win every baseball discussion.

In no particular order- Kareem, Shaq, Jokic, Hakeem top tier.

Everyone else after. Moses/Ewing/Robinson/ parish etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,081

Post#92 » by jfs1000d » Fri May 17, 2024 1:08 am

One_and_Done wrote:Russell and Wilt wouldn't even be top 10 players today probably. Nor would Moses.

What do you mean? Russell is Bam on steroids. Wilt would be the biggest and strongest player in the nba.

One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 17, 2024 1:12 am

jfs1000d wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Russell and Wilt wouldn't even be top 10 players today probably. Nor would Moses.

What do you mean? Russell is Bam on steroids. Wilt would be the biggest and strongest player in the nba.

Bam if he had no offensive game you mean?

Wilt and Russell played in a bygone era that would be garbage today. Even if you think they'd be able to play today, their impact would be far less.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#94 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:17 am

One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Who cares about a teams depth "1 to 8" when they are top heavy? Who was Shaq and Kobe's 8th man? Nobody remembers or cares because they have Shaq and Kobe, so it hardly matters. The Nuggets are a team with 5 great starters who don't need much depth outside that. Season previews for a team don't begin with 'well the 02 Mavs and Kings have a better 8th man than the 02 Lakers, so they'll win'.

This statement is so ridiculous it is self-rebutting. Go take a look at how the market valued those Spurs players. Contracts aren't always correct obviously, but the league must have literally been blind every off-season when the 'elite' Spurs were coming up for new contracts. Porter is 'one dimensional' in the same way you might describe KD as 'one dimensional'.

Lol you have no idea what you are talking about and your statement just proved it. You are judging players based on their contract lol? Seriously? What player on this Nuggets team’s bench unit is comparable to Ginobli and Malik Rose coming off San Antonio’s bench during the 02/03 season? See, this is what happens when young guys talk about players they never watched play. Malik Rose and Ginobli were very good bench players for that Spurs team, and much better than Reggie Jackson, Holiday, and Braun.

Comparing Porter and Durant offensively? Lol Durant is a better passer, more versatile offensively as far as creating his own shot, higher basketball iq. Durant is better defensively too.

And yes, that Spurs team was very good defensively.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#95 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:19 am

One_and_Done wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

Bam if he had no offensive game you mean?

Wilt and Russell played in a bygone era that would be garbage today. Even if you think they'd be able to play today, their impact would be far less.

Based on what facts? Prove what you are saying….ill wait
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 17, 2024 1:49 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

Lol you have no idea what you are talking about and your statement just proved it. You are judging players based on their contract lol? Seriously? What player on this Nuggets team’s bench unit is comparable to Ginobli and Malik Rose coming off San Antonio’s bench during the 02/03 season? See, this is what happens when young guys talk about players they never watched play. Malik Rose and Ginobli were very good bench players for that Spurs team, and much better than Reggie Jackson, Holiday, and Braun.

Comparing Porter and Durant offensively? Lol Durant is a better passer, more versatile offensively as far as creating his own shot, higher basketball iq. Durant is better defensively too.

No, I’m not basing players solely off their contracts. That would be absurd. But contracts can give us a good indication of how the market values a player, and that is useful. It’s especially useful when someone (i.e. you) claims that these players with bad stats and no serious award recognition in 03, were actually awesome because of their “elite D”.

Claiming a player who sucks is actually super valuable because of their “elite D” is actually a very common tactic. It gets used to try and prop up guys who were bad, by saying they were “all-stars on D”. Here’s the thing though, guys who were actually all-stars on D? They make the all-star team, e.g. Mutombo, Ben Wallace, Gobert, Rodman, Artest, etc. Being an “all-star on D” means you were so good on D you had an all-star like impact.

What the Spurs had were some guys who were either good or solid on D, but not so much so that it had a cumulative impact that was especially valuable. So, what did the market think of the 2003 Spurs?

Stephen Jackson left that offseason. The Spurs had offered him a contract around $3 mill a year. He was insulted, and refused. Finally the Spurs told him they had to commit their cap space, and he had to accept it or not. Stephen Jackson said not, confident the market would value him based on his 2003 performance. He was wrong. Teams did not want him, and he was finally forced to accept a minimum contract from Atlanta and go work on his game. Humbled, Stephen Jackson improved considerably and was later able to get a better contract, but in 2003 he was basically a replacement level player on the whole. Good some nights, bad others.

Bruce Bowen was a famed defensive guard, right? Well, that’s true. But on the whole, Bowen’s impact was limited. He had zero offensive game, except hitting a wide open corner 3. So without a guy like Duncan to get you an open corner 3, he was pretty limited. Over his whole career he never got a salary above the MLE, and in fact I’m not even sure it was the full MLE on checking it now.

After helping the Spurs in the 2003 finals by subbing in for the faltering young Tony Parker what did the market think of Speedy Claxton? He had to also go to basketball hell in Atlanta, along with S.Jax, at a measley $3 mill a year (more than Jackson got btw).

D.Rob was on the last year of his contract before retiring, so we can’t test his market value, but we can note that he received no awards or honours, played minimal minutes, had weak conventional stats, and that the Spurs were 15-3 in the games he missed. The next year? The Spurs D got better without him, after he was replaced with Rasho Nesterovic (a bad defensive player). Then the year after that, the Spurs D was still better than it had been in 03 with D.Rob.

But then there’s Manu, who surely was some kind of secret all-star, right? Not really. Manu was a rookie who tended to play out of control and hadn’t learned the pace of the game. The Spurs went 10-3 in games he missed. But the cherry on top is that even after Manu had improved over the course of 2 years, when he went to the free agency market the best offer for him (which the Spurs had to match) was 6 years for $52 million. Even after a second year, in which he’d improved, Manu still was only valued at a little over $8 mill a year. The reason, if you’re wondering, is that Manu really took off in his 3rd year, at which point he was most definitely an all-star quality player (and played like it in the playoffs).

How about Malik? Well, the contract the Spurs gave him for being Tim’s friend was the last one he ever got. He retired at age 29. He was traded after the 03 season by the Spurs, and the Spurs were better defensively without the undersized back-up power forward, who was horrific in New York, including on D.

The Spurs didn’t have guys who the market valued at the max like Jamal Murray or MPJ, or who were getting big money like Gordon. The Spurs did have a good 3&D shooting guard like KCP, but that’s where the comparisons end. To compare the 2 teams, and act like they were remotely comparable, is a joke. The Nuggets 4th best player was substantially better than the Spurs 2nd best player.

DUNCAN was elite on D, and made the Spurs elite on D. The evidence noted above suggests the other Spurs had little to do with it, especially as their D got better after they turned over the roster the following year and lost most of the supposed defensive specialists (D.Rob, S.Jax, Malik, etc).
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,119

Post#97 » by NZB2323 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:04 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Depends who is considered a center. I have him behind Kareem, Duncan, Shaq and Hakeem for sure, with no real way to ever catch those guys. Other than that I'm not sure. D.Rob doesn't have the longevity. That's probably it to be honest, since Russell and Wilt wouldn't be as good today. They just played in a trash league.

"No real way to ever catch those guys"

He's 29, with 3 MVPs, 2 rings [in this hypothetical we're assuming he already wins this]...

You think he's retiring as well right after the ring? Or is his game going to fall off a cliff next year?

What I mean is those 4 guys were better at their best than Jokic has ever been. So unless Jokic becomes a better player then no, I don't see how he catches them.

Shaq couldn’t make free throws, wasn’t the best pick and roll defender, showed up to training camp out of shape, fueded with teammates, and needed Kobe or Wade to win a championship.

Jokic won a title without an all-star teammate, is the penultimate teammate, has good conditioning, positions himself well in pick and rolls, and makes his free throws.

There’s certainly an argument that peak Jokic is above peak Shaq, and a lot of advanced stats support that.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,718

Post#98 » by dygaction » Fri May 17, 2024 2:05 am

One_and_Done wrote:
zero rings wrote:

Just stop there, it is not like Murray is not taking a max slot. Of course he has a few great games, but so is PJ Washington, DiVincenzo, and AG. But they don't have negative BPM or On/Off, or 5 out of the past 10 playoff games under 40% shooting. 3/18 in game 2 loss, and now 1/10 in game 6. He can single handedly shoot you out of a game. You don't have to trade him for Wade, one of Tony Parker or Manu would do.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#99 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:12 am

One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:This statement is so ridiculous it is self-rebutting. Go take a look at how the market valued those Spurs players. Contracts aren't always correct obviously, but the league must have literally been blind every off-season when the 'elite' Spurs were coming up for new contracts. Porter is 'one dimensional' in the same way you might describe KD as 'one dimensional'.

No, I’m not basing players solely off their contracts. That would be absurd. But contracts can give us a good indication of how the market values a player, and that is useful. It’s especially useful when someone (i.e. you) claims that these players with bad stats and no serious award recognition in 03, were actually awesome because of their “elite D”.

Claiming a player who sucks is actually super valuable because of their “elite D” is actually a very common tactic. It gets used to try and prop up guys who were bad, by saying they were “all-stars on D”. Here’s the thing though, guys who were actually all-stars on D? They make the all-star team, e.g. Mutombo, Ben Wallace, Gobert, Rodman, Artest, etc. Being an “all-star on D” means you were so good on D you had an all-star like impact.

What the Spurs had were some guys who were either good or solid on D, but not so much so that it had a cumulative impact that was especially valuable. So, what did the market think of the 2003 Spurs?

Stephen Jackson left that offseason. The Spurs had offered him a contract around $3 mill a year. He was insulted, and refused. Finally the Spurs told him they had to commit their cap space, and he had to accept it or not. Stephen Jackson said not, confident the market would value him based on his 2003 performance. He was wrong. Teams did not want him, and he was finally forced to accept a minimum contract from Atlanta and go work on his game. Humbled, Stephen Jackson improved considerably and was later able to get a better contract, but in 2003 he was basically a replacement level player on the whole. Good some nights, bad others.

Bruce Bowen was a famed defensive guard, right? Well, that’s true. But on the whole, Bowen’s impact was limited. He had zero offensive game, except hitting a wide open corner 3. So without a guy like Duncan to get you an open corner 3, he was pretty limited. Over his whole career he never got a salary above the MLE, and in fact I’m not even sure it was the full MLE on checking it now.

After helping the Spurs in the 2003 finals by subbing in for the faltering young Tony Parker what did the market think of Speedy Claxton? He had to also go to basketball hell in Atlanta, along with S.Jax, at a measley $3 mill a year (more than Jackson got btw).

D.Rob was on the last year of his contract before retiring, so we can’t test his market value, but we can note that he received no awards or honours, played minimal minutes, had weak conventional stats, and that the Spurs were 15-3 in the games he missed. The next year? The Spurs D got better without him, after he was replaced with Rasho Nesterovic (a bad defensive player). Then the year after that, the Spurs D was still better than it had been in 03 with D.Rob.

But then there’s Manu, who surely was some kind of secret all-star, right? Not really. Manu was a rookie who tended to play out of control and hadn’t learned the pace of the game. The Spurs went 10-3 in games he missed. But the cherry on top is that even after Manu had improved over the course of 2 years, when he went to the free agency market the best offer for him (which the Spurs had to match) was 6 years for $52 million. Even after a second year, in which he’d improved, Manu still was only valued at a little over $8 mill a year. The reason, if you’re wondering, is that Manu really took off in his 3rd year, at which point he was most definitely an all-star quality player (and played like it in the playoffs).

How about Malik? Well, the contract the Spurs gave him for being Tim’s friend was the last one he ever got. He retired at age 29. He was traded after the 03 season by the Spurs, and the Spurs were better defensively without the undersized back-up power forward, who was horrific in New York, including on D.

The Spurs didn’t have guys who the market valued at the max like Jamal Murray or MPJ, or who were getting big money like Gordon. The Spurs did have a good 3&D shooting guard like KCP, but that’s where the comparisons end. To compare the 2 teams, and act like they were remotely comparable, is a joke. The Nuggets 4th best player was substantially better than the Spurs 2nd best player.

DUNCAN was elite on D, and made the Spurs elite on D. The evidence noted above suggests the other Spurs had little to do with it, especially as their D got better after they turned over the roster the following year and lost most of the supposed defensive specialists (D.Rob, S.Jax, Malik, etc).

When did i say i was comparing both teams starting 5? I specifically said:
- San Antonio was very good defensively in 02/03 and better than Denver’s team defense
- San Antonio’s bench was much better than Denvers bench this year

Lets look at the 03 finals shall we just as an example:

- game 1 Ginobli and Rose provided 19/13/5 off the bench

- game 3 Ginobli and Rose provided 16/4/4 off the bench

- game 4 Ginobli and Rose provided 20/5/3 off the bench

- game 5 Ginobli and Rose provided 26/6 off the bench

- game 6 Ginobli and Speedy provided 24/8/5 off the bench

Please explain how Denver’s bench production is comparable to what San Antonio got from their bench….
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 17, 2024 2:18 am

The Spurs role players provided the offense Duncan gave them thanks to drawing a double virtually every play. Who has the best 8th man is not super relevant (not that the Spurs had a good 8th man), not when your 2nd best guy is much worse than the other teams 4th best guy.

On D the 2003 Spurs were elite because of Duncan. They'd have won about 20 games without Duncan, and I can't say anything like that about the Nuggets team.

Return to The General Board