Hornets lead the Western Conference....

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Bradford
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#81 » by Bradford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:37 am

JoeyH wrote:Paul averages 10.5 assists, and 2.6 TOs

Williams averages 9.3 assists, and 3.4 TOs on a faster paced team.

pretty big difference.
I agree-Deron is the better shooter and Paul is the better ball handler and distributer....
And the true measure of shooting is what's called field goal percentage...it's found by taking the number of shots made and dividing it by the number of shots attempted.....That is the facts, not some made-up formula that doesn't reflect the TRUE STATS....
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#82 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:46 am

Bradford wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree-Deron is the better shooter and Paul is the better ball handler and distributer....
And the true measure of shooting is what's called field goal percentage...it's found by taking the number of shots made and dividing it by the number of shots attempted.....That is the facts, not some made-up formula that doesn't reflect the TRUE STATS....

TS% measures FG%, 3pt% and FT%..... a far better measure than just fg%.

It's not some made up formula, don't speak on things of which you have 0 knowledge.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bradford
Banned User

Post#83 » by Bradford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:54 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:TS% measures FG%, 3pt% and FT%..... a far better measure than just fg%.

It's not some made up formula, don't speak on things of which you have 0 knowledge.
That formula does not just simply take shots made divided by shots attempted.....True shooting percentage is derived by taking the shots made divided by the shots attempted.....So give me the exact formula for your so-called "TS%" and tell me why the numbers in the formula are as they are.....
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:01 am

True Shooting Percentage; the formula is PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)).

Thus a 3 pointer would bolster it more than a 2 pointer, and FT% is also counted for. Because contrary to what you may believe, hitting a higher % of your free throws is actually a good thing.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Black Jesus 1
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#85 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:02 am

ZOMG, ziiiing
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#86 » by bleu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:06 am

I've only seen the hornets play a couple times this season.
Black Jesus 1
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#87 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 am

I've seen them play twice. Both vs the Suns. :-\
^Entire games

I've seen them for short periods of time, like a quarter (@LA, CP3 got like 20 assists - @ GS, Chandler got that sick alley and many more)
Bradford
Banned User

Post#88 » by Bradford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:11 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:True Shooting Percentage; the formula is PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)).

Thus a 3 pointer would bolster it more than a 2 pointer, and FT% is also counted for. Because contrary to what you may believe, hitting a higher % of your free throws is actually a good thing.
You failed to explain why .44 is used?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:23 am

Something with the Free throws, giving them a bonus on and 1's or something? I dunno, someone else can probably explain it better.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,822

Post#90 » by G35 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:23 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:True Shooting Percentage; the formula is PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)).

However it does penalize/reward according to your FT shooting. If you can't shoot 3's or FG's but you can get to the line then it can mask a poor shooter.

If I were scouting the two players I'm not going to use TS%. I would use the Hotzones chart and Paul has quite a few more cold zones than Deron........
I'm so tired of the typical......
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:29 am

G35 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

However it does penalize/reward according to your FT shooting. If you can't shoot 3's or FG's but you can get to the line then it can mask a poor shooter.

If I were scouting the two players I'm not going to use TS%. I would use the Hotzones chart and Paul has quite a few more cold zones than Deron........

That's the one, I'm not really arguing that Chris is the better shooter, just that the difference is negligible.
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#92 » by MKWB » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 am

Hornets are for real, folks.
pro2020
Rookie

Post#93 » by pro2020 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:47 am

MKWB wrote:Hornets are for real, folks.

yep, nobody can question their legitimacy any longer.
gold_leader64
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#94 » by gold_leader64 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 am

Having been a hornet fan for many years, I'm really glad to see how well they are playing. Err...not really "see", since I don't have LP, and the NBA must have some deal with Buss to show every Laker game possible on TNT/ESPN, so hornets get no exposure as a result, but I digress. West has been so underrated the past two years, and I'm glad to see people taking notice.

BTW, Paul for MVP!
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#95 » by Angry Jimmy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:01 am

Hornets record vs. the WC Big-3 (SA/DAL/PHO)

4-2

Hornets have not only been winning lately, they have been annihilating their opponents. 8 straight wins with an average margin of victory being 20.3 points a night.

16-2 in their last 18 games, with margin of victory being 14 points a game.

This last month it's been the Hornets world, everyone else is just along for the ride.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,865

Post#96 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:23 am

Man, how good is Chris Paul? The Hawks must be kicking themselves....right now, Chris Paul is the NBA MVP, IMO. Sure, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant have done great so far, but who expected the Hornets to be leading the West at the midway point of the season? Plus, Chris Paul has the stats to go along w/ the Wins, averaging 20 + ppg along w/ 10 apg. He's been clutch every time I've seen him play. Unbelieveable player.
cosinostra
Junior

Post#97 » by cosinostra » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:59 am

It's not just Chris Paul. Peja's ability to hit the threes at an amazing clip is helping to spread the floor. Same with David West. They're running on all cylinders right now and playing great basketball. We'll see how long it lasts.

All it takes is one little injury to West, Peja, Paul, or Chandler and things could change real fast. Example: Lakers struggling after Bynum's injury.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#98 » by Alex_De_Large » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 am

I predicted at the start of the season they would be 6th in the west, now, they will probably end 4th like the jazz last year or maybe even better (depend on mavs and spurs).
just imagine this team with better bench (scott even said it was not good enough), and a sf like gerald wallace or josh howard instead of peterson in the lineup.
paul-pedja-sf-west-chandler, it's deadly, better team the 2004 pistons.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#99 » by amcoolio » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:22 am

Its not anything related to talent. Do the Hornets have the best talent in the NBA? Certainly not.

Its chemistry and leadership. The Hornets have so much amazing leadership, it makes the Chris Paul pick look like the pick of the century.

What really confuses me and makes me hate the Bobcats organization (but not the team) is how NBA teams can continuously throw out chemistry and leadership when building an NBA team and throw all their eggs in trying to secure the best talent. I can now imagine how it is to be a fan of the Hawks and other teams whose front office is off their rocker.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Hoops Pimp
Junior

Post#100 » by Hoops Pimp » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:54 am

Let's just see how long it last.
"One of my Ho's asked me one day why I play hoops and my sneakers never get dirty? I told her I got more hang time than M.J. and my sneakers never touch the ground."

Hoops Pimp

Return to The General Board