Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 663

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,270

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#801 » by tsherkin » Wed May 15, 2024 7:33 pm

Kawaii Leonard wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:My understanding is that the term “system player” dates to American football in the early 90s. It meant players who put up huge numbers but weren’t really moving the needle for their teams. That was a useful term as there are players who aren’t helping their team.

On realgm, system player now means a player who lacks flexibility in providing lift. This could mean a player who only helps his team that plays relatively slow or a player who must play on-ball. This meaning has way less utility as only a handful of players in NBA history provide high lift no matter the system. And realgm uses this lack of flexibility to indict the value they provide in a proper environment for their talents. That is nuts.

Finally something insightful. The bolded part was exactly my take from the beginning. Call it whatever you’d like, but Curry cannot do that and it’s limited to just one fashion.

But this is also demonstrably BS as well. He was providing fantastic lift in 13 and 14 as well. He was also not yet in his full prime at that point, so I'm not sure that crowing about that makes a lot of sense. Like, in 2014, he had the third-best O-EPM in the entire league, and Kerr didn't join until the year after.

So that narrative? False.
Kawaii Leonard
Junior
And1: 497

Post#802 » by Kawaii Leonard » Wed May 15, 2024 7:37 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:My understanding is that the term “system player” dates to American football in the early 90s. It meant players who put up huge numbers but weren’t really moving the needle for their teams. That was a useful term as there are players who aren’t helping their team.

On realgm, system player now means a player who lacks flexibility in providing lift. This could mean a player who only helps his team that plays relatively slow or a player who must play on-ball. This meaning has way less utility as only a handful of players in NBA history provide high lift no matter the system. And realgm uses this lack of flexibility to indict the value they provide in a proper environment for their talents. That is nuts.

Finally something insightful. The bolded part was exactly my take from the beginning. Call it whatever you’d like, but Curry cannot do that imo and it’s limited to just one fashion.

Curry and I are still in your head?

The arguments against Curry have always been theoretical but the reality of Curry has shown those theoretical arguments didn't really matter next to what Curry brings. Curry's too small? Curry's not a good defender? Curry's just a jump shooter? Didn't stop him from winning—and not just winning—dominating.

System player? Curry in Davidson? Curry with Mark Jackson? Curry with Kerr before KD? Curry with KD? Curry after KD? Greatness all the way. Was the same "system" played throughout? Nope.

It's interesting Curry is being brought up after Jokic's performance in the last game. Did it show Jokic was clearly better? It seemed like a more complete performance but in perhaps the aspect that was most impressive about it, the efficiency, it's still not clearly better than a comparable great game from Curry.

WarriorGM wrote:Steph is the greatest playmaker of all-time.
web123888
Sophomore
And1: 106

Post#803 » by web123888 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:40 pm

He’s not the best player in the world - he’s arguably the best center in the history of the sport.

His peak is arguably higher than that of Bird, Magic, Shaq and dare I say LeBron as well.

I never viewed LeBron as an unguardable offensive player - Jokic is an unguardable offensive force with zero holes on that end of the floor.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,709

Post#804 » by WarriorGM » Wed May 15, 2024 7:47 pm

Kawaii Leonard wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:
Finally something insightful. The bolded part was exactly my take from the beginning. Call it whatever you’d like, but Curry cannot do that imo and it’s limited to just one fashion.

Curry and I are still in your head?

The arguments against Curry have always been theoretical but the reality of Curry has shown those theoretical arguments didn't really matter next to what Curry brings. Curry's too small? Curry's not a good defender? Curry's just a jump shooter? Didn't stop him from winning—and not just winning—dominating.

System player? Curry in Davidson? Curry with Mark Jackson? Curry with Kerr before KD? Curry with KD? Curry after KD? Greatness all the way. Was the same "system" played throughout? Nope.

It's interesting Curry is being brought up after Jokic's performance in the last game. Did it show Jokic was clearly better? It seemed like a more complete performance but in perhaps the aspect that was most impressive about it, the efficiency, it's still not clearly better than a comparable great game from Curry.

Still in your head.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,610

Post#805 » by Hoop Hunter » Wed May 15, 2024 7:57 pm

The OP: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated. :crazy:

:lol: :rofl2: :lol:
Kawaii Leonard
Junior

Post#806 » by Kawaii Leonard » Wed May 15, 2024 8:14 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:

Finally something insightful. The bolded part was exactly my take from the beginning. Call it whatever you’d like, but Curry cannot do that and it’s limited to just one fashion.

But this is also demonstrably BS as well. He was providing fantastic lift in 13 and 14 as well. He was also not yet in his full prime at that point, so I'm not sure that crowing about that makes a lot of sense. Like, in 2014, he had the third-best O-EPM in the entire league, and Kerr didn't join until the year after.

So that narrative? False.

Kawaii Leonard wrote:2) system players can still produce outside of that system and be stars (example: Deron Williams or any pg that played under Thibs)
3) if you’re as good as Curry is, he will still put up the numbers but you are not going to win without the system Kerr tailor made and implemented

Reading comprehension

2nd round exit followed by a 1st round exit.
You sure he didn’t need the system?
You sure he’d even have a single ring by continuing to play that pnr iso brand of basketball like ‘13 or ‘14?
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#807 » by zero rings » Wed May 15, 2024 8:15 pm

Kawaii Leonard wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:
It’s almost like that is called coaching and having a game plan? Thanks for clearing that up.

There’s levels to this. And you’re reaching really far to make this compare to having MJ play Steph’s game. Jordan would thrive in any system, even in Kerr’s movement one. I’m not so sure you could say the same for Steph.

Playing in a system that grossly misused his skillset, he made all NBA second team and won a playoff series before he turned 26. Grossly misused and before his prime he was a top 10 player.

I mentioned you can still be a star outside of the system, you most benefitted from. As the 1st option, Curry is not winning a ring outside a system that reassembles Kerr’s. Take MJ out of the triangle and use him like Curry for the mid-range instead (a la Rip Hamilton), you’re still winning.

Why are you derailing this glorious thread with your Curry slander?

Bottom line is if you can’t replicate the results with another player (you can’t), then Curry is not a system player. He is the system.
Kawaii Leonard
Junior

Post#808 » by Kawaii Leonard » Wed May 15, 2024 8:23 pm

zero rings wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
Playing in a system that grossly misused his skillset, he made all NBA second team and won a playoff series before he turned 26. Grossly misused and before his prime he was a top 10 player.

I mentioned you can still be a star outside of the system, you most benefitted from. As the 1st option, Curry is not winning a ring outside a system that reassembles Kerr’s. Take MJ out of the triangle and use him like Curry for the mid-range instead (a la Rip Hamilton), you’re still winning.

Why are you derailing this glorious thread with your Curry slander?

Bottom line is if you can’t replicate the results with another player (you can’t), then Curry is not a system player. He is the system.

Debatable and how is this slandering? I’m sure Kerr and his system, KD, Klay, Draymond, Iggy, and a luxury payroll has nothing to do with it not being replicated yet. I didn’t derail nothing till this tsherkin did his ‘harping’ as he puts it over one simple harmless statement that I believe Steph is a system player. The very next line I said it doesn’t matter and all his mvps/flowers are still warranted. I’ve also attempted multiple times to end this discussion but he’s as stubborn as they come and needs his last say. I was willing to call it a difference of opinion but nope he continuously has a need to get on my ‘demonstrable bs’ even when I ignore him (sp6r=underrated reply), so who is really derailing the thread?

But yeah I’m done here, carry on.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#809 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed May 15, 2024 8:25 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
The issue is that what you are proposing isn’t useful, insightful, or interesting

Players are better when used properly and worse when used improperly. Woahhh you’re soooo smart for thinking that. So brave of you!

What’s your point? That if Curry was grossly misused throughout his career then he would have been less successful? No ****. Why should we discount his career when that applies to every player in sports history. Why not use, I dunno, what actually happened as the benchmark instead of stupid hypotheticals?

There’s literally no value to your line of thinking.

So he’s a system player. Great chat. Watch some TED talks next for your need of useful, insightful and interesting discourse instead of a sports forum board, while crying about terminology and their proper usage.

Everyone is a system player

For superstars, "System Player" is the ultimate compliment. It means that you had unique skills that were so dominant that your franchise decided to build a system around you, to maximize them.

Scariest thing about Jokic is that I don't even think he has the perfect set of teammates around him. He's the ultimate floor raiser, and there could be a few more levels there if they could improve the roster construction. Replace MPJ with OG Anunoby, for example.
Or replace Murray with a more reliable secondary creator.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,454

Post#810 » by lessthanjake » Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:

But you talk about it as if it *wrongly* increases estimations of his defense. It increases estimations of his defense because it is a impactful thing defensively. Jokic is absolutely elite at defensive rebounding, and this is a massive part of defense and it is a reason impact data ends up coming out showing him being a good defender. When you get tons of contested rebounds on the defensive end, the other team gets a lot less second-chance points when you’re on the court, and when they get fewer second-chance points when you’re on the court, the data unsurprisingly will likely show that your presence on the court lowers the number of points opposing teams score. And that’s how you look good in impact stats.

Kind of sort of, because again, when I say defense, I mean a players ability to defend his man and help on defense. If rebounds are such a huge part of increase the estimation of a players defense why doesn't Dwight Howard rank higher?

Kind of sort of, because again, when I say defense, I mean a players ability to defend his man and help on defense. Kind of sort of, because again, when I say defense, I mean a players ability to defend his man and help on defense. If rebounds are such a huge part of increase the estimation of a players defensive impact, according to this metric, why doesn't Dwight Howard rank higher? Why does it have Camby and Jokic neck and neck when he could do everything Jokic could do defensively plus being an elite shot blocker? Why does Lamar Odom outflank Tyson Chandler? How does Caruso outflank Ben Wallace, Gobert, Wallace? And if it's weighted so heavely, than maybe we're having a symantic arguement about "impact on defense" vs "how good of a defender a player is". Jokic rebounding may make him a high impact player defensively, but certianly not more than guys that he's ranked near. But maybe that number will trail off as he advanced in his career and he drops below the likes of the Marions, Khawi's and Camby's and at the conlcusion of his career that number will be more inlign with his overall impact on defense...just as Dwights number.

The bolded is really the bottom line of what your argument comes down to. You are trying to say Jokic is not a good defensive player despite the fact that he is a demonstrably impactful player on defense. My response is that being an impactful player on defense inherently means someone is a good defensive player. There’s no logical argument for saying that someone who you concede has a positive effect on his team’s defense is somehow not a good defensive player. And if you’ve come to that conclusion, it is just because your assessment of how good a defensive player someone is either ignores important aspects of defense (I’ve listed many such things for Jokic that you seem to not include in your assessment of his defense) or you are not accurately assessing how good or bad the player is at various aspects of defense, or both. Either way, it’s not a logical argument.

We’ve already been over this. They did similarly well in 2006 because their regular season offense was better in 2006 than it was in 2007. And, as I’ve said, a good deal of the credit for that goes to LeBron. But we aren’t talking about whether LeBron “carried” the 2006 Cavaliers to a pretty good regular season offense. If that were the question, maybe the answer would actually be yes (though he certainly didn’t carry them to a pretty good offense in the 2006 playoffs—where they had a below average offense)! What we are actually talking about is whether LeBron “carried” the 2007 Cavaliers to the Finals. And, the answer to that is clearly no, since the team was clearly carried by their elite defense, in which LeBron was just another cog. I don’t see how you think this point about 2006 does anything for you here at all. Your claim was about 2007 specifically, and your claim was wrong about 2007 specifically. 2006 is irrelevant here. LeBron didn’t go to the Finals in 2006.

No. Maybe that's what you're talking about. I said Lebron "carried" scrubs to the NBA finals. This same scrubs played for that 2006 team and they were a game away from the conference finals

What in the world is your point? Regardless of whether you think those guys were “scrubs” in 2006 (a year they didn’t go far in the playoffs), they certainly weren’t “scrubs” in 2007 when they had a historically good team defense. And since they made the Finals in 2007, that is very obviously the relevant year for assessing whether the supporting cast were “scrubs.”
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#811 » by lessthanjake » Wed May 15, 2024 9:22 pm

Kawaii Leonard wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
Kawaii Leonard wrote:
Why are you so black and white? Please link me to where you’re getting spoon fed this definition.

1) you can be a system player and a star (other examples: John Stockton and Karl Malone, Kawhi, Klay)
2) system players can still produce outside of that system and be stars (example: Deron Williams or any pg that played under Thibs)
3) if you’re as good as Curry is, he will still put up the numbers but you are not going to win without the system Kerr tailor made and implemented
4) You really believe Jordan wasn’t going to win without Phil or the triangle?

I don’t understand what your point is.

If, by your way of thinking, you can be a “system player” and “still produce outside of that system and be stars” then what even is a “system player” to you? At that point, you’re just defining “system player” to be a player who is optimally used in a certain specific system. But that’s a totally meaningless point, because every single player in the history of basketball has specific relative strengths and weaknesses that make it so that they are optimally used in a specific system. So you’re essentially defining “system player” to be every player who has ever picked up a basketball. Furthermore, the best players in history are very likely to be put in a system that is optimal for them, because they are obviously the players that teams build around and try to optimize. Steph Curry is one of the best players in history and, unsurprisingly, was eventually put in a system that was pretty optimal for his game. That’s really no different than essentially any top-tier all-time great ever. And actually, Steph was arguably *unlucky* in this, since he was not played in a system that optimized his strengths in his early years, while some players have gotten that from the beginning of their career. In essence, everyone is a “system player” by your definition, and Steph was simply unlucky to not always have been played in the right system.

I’ve made 4 very easily understandable points right there.

What exactly is yours with stating the obvious fact when you break the game down to the x’s and o’s, every player has played under a system. Some need it that custom made to fit their skillsets. In this case, Curry’s need to find specific ways to get open for his shots. The reliance and necessity is right there being the player he is. I don’t see him winning a ring outside the one Kerr implemented. I do see other all time greats winning in multiple others. Hence, a system player.

This is not consistent with what you previously said. If Curry “can still produce outside of that system and be [a] star,” as you concede, then he plainly does not have any “reliance” or “necessity” to play under a specific system.

To the extent you have an argument, it appears to be that Steph could be a star under other systems but wouldn’t win titles without an optimal system. For one thing, that’s wholly speculative, since he had that system for all but maybe the first year of his prime (a year he led his team to a 5+ SRS season and a +9.2 net rating with him on the court, I’d add). We have no idea if you’re right. Indeed, the fact that his teams in his peak years were so cartoonishly good is actually strongly suggestive of the idea that they could’ve still won titles even if they were not used as optimally as they were. They had room to play less well and still win! Second of all, the point you’re making is an extremely narrow one, because winning a title is really hard and it’s virtually never the case that a team wins a title while using their best player in a sub-optimal way. What player is winning titles playing in a system that isn’t suited to them? Jordan only won with the triangle. LeBron only won with heliocentrism. Magic only won with his brand of fast break and post offense. I could go on. If not having won a title while being played in a sub-optimal system makes someone a “system player” then pretty much everyone in history is a system player. You say you “see other all time greats winning in multiple other[] [systems],” and I’d ask you to elaborate on that because it’s hard to really think of any. I’d also point out that, practically speaking, being able to win in multiple systems isn’t really even much of a benefit, because if you’re a high-level all-time great like Steph, you’re basically virtually guaranteed to get a system that’s designed around you, because teams essentially always design their system around an all-time great if they have one. So, an all-time great’s ability to win in a different, less optimal system is almost always nothing more than a hypothetical.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 11,005

Post#812 » by Ice Trae » Wed May 15, 2024 9:31 pm

Imagining looking up Jokic career playoff numbers and the first thing that comes to mind is “yeah, this guy is overrated”

Come on man
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#813 » by dautjazz » Wed May 15, 2024 9:53 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Actually is, Embiid was on his way to a unanimous MVP, before he got hurt.

Embiid will never win another MVP again after the robbery last year.

How are you going to argue Jokic over Embiid last year?
Seriously? 24.5ppg 9.8apg 11.8rpg .701 TS%, and not to mention led his team to a title.

Sent from my SM-S921U using RealGM Forums mobile app
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#814 » by xchange55 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:01 pm

LOL - this post aged well huh?
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,661

Post#815 » by DimesandKnicks » Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 pm

lessthanjake wrote:The bolded is really the bottom line of what your argument comes down to. You are trying to say Jokic is not a good defensive player despite the fact that he is a demonstrably impactful player on defense. My response is that being an impactful player on defense inherently means someone is a good defensive player. There’s no logical argument for saying that someone who you concede has a positive effect on his team’s defense is somehow not a good defensive player. And if you’ve come to that conclusion, it is just because your assessment of how good a defensive player someone is either ignores important aspects of defense (I’ve listed many such things for Jokic that you seem to not include in your assessment of his defense) or you are not accurately assessing how good or bad the player is at various aspects of defense, or both. Either way, it’s not a logical argument.

This is all semantics my friend. One I don’t think I ever said Jokic wasn’t a “good” defender…even though I think good is a stretch; solid I wouldn’t argue. Being “impactful on defense” doesn’t make you a “great” or “good” defender. Kevin Love or Julius Randle aren’t “good” defenders because they’re great defensive rebounders or elite at drawing charges in Love’s case. Demarcus Cousin’s isn’t a good defender because he’s a great defensive rebounder, gets deflections and can reject a shot or two. Mitchell Robinson isn’t a great offensive player because he’s one of, if not the best offensive rebounder in the game and a rim running threat. You can be elite, even, at certain aspects of offensive, multiple even, without being a great offensive players

What in the world is your point? Regardless of whether you think those guys were “scrubs” in 2006 (a year they didn’t go far in the playoffs), they certainly weren’t “scrubs” in 2007 when they had a historically good team defense. And since they made the Finals in 2007, that is very obviously the relevant year for assessing whether the supporting cast were “scrubs.”

My point is they had nearly identical success with the same roster. He played with scrubs in 2006 and scrubs in 2007 and carried both teams. Just as he did throughout his Cav’s career.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#816 » by lessthanjake » Wed May 15, 2024 10:26 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:The bolded is really the bottom line of what your argument comes down to. You are trying to say Jokic is not a good defensive player despite the fact that he is a demonstrably impactful player on defense. My response is that being an impactful player on defense inherently means someone is a good defensive player. There’s no logical argument for saying that someone who you concede has a positive effect on his team’s defense is somehow not a good defensive player. And if you’ve come to that conclusion, it is just because your assessment of how good a defensive player someone is either ignores important aspects of defense (I’ve listed many such things for Jokic that you seem to not include in your assessment of his defense) or you are not accurately assessing how good or bad the player is at various aspects of defense, or both. Either way, it’s not a logical argument.

This is all semantics my friend. One I don’t think I ever said Jokic wasn’t a “good” defender…even though I think good is a stretch; solid I wouldn’t argue. Being “impactful on defense” doesn’t make you a “great” or “good” defender. Kevin Love or Julius Randle aren’t “good” defenders because they’re great defensive rebounders or elite at drawing charges in Love’s case. Demarcus Cousin’s isn’t a good defender because he’s a great defensive rebounder, gets deflections and can reject a shot or two. Mitchell Robinson isn’t a great offensive player because he’s one of, if not the best offensive rebounder in the game and a rim running threat. You can be elite, even, at certain aspects of offensive, multiple even, without being a great offensive players

Whether those guys are good defenders is dependent on whether those things they do well ultimately result in them having significant positive impact overall defensively. In the case of Jokic, his many defensive strengths demonstrably result in him having significant positive impact overall defensively, so he is a good defender.

My point is they had nearly identical success with the same roster. He played with scrubs in 2006 and scrubs in 2007 and carried both teams. Just as he did throughout his Cav’s career.

Losing in the second round is not “nearly identical success” as making the Finals. Which is why people talk about LeBron’s team success in 2007 and not in 2006. If you want to say that LeBron “carried” the 2006 Cavs to being a second-round-exit team or to 50 wins, then I’d be more inclined to agree with you, but also you wouldn’t make that point because it wouldn’t be particularly persuasive about anything. What you *are* trying to make a point about is the Cavs making the Finals in 2007, and your point was wrong, so now you’re talking about 2006.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#817 » by monopoman » Wed May 15, 2024 11:07 pm

Man I have rarely seen a hot take look so bad so quick, this isn't like next year where Jokic wins the whole thing or something and makes this look ridiculous they literally won 3 games in a row since going down 2 games to the Wolves.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,003

Post#818 » by Los_29 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:12 am

UglyBugBall wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Actually is, Embiid was on his way to a unanimous MVP, before he got hurt.

Embiid will never win another MVP again after the robbery last year.

How are you going to argue Jokic over Embiid last year?

Numbers and importance to one’s team. It also helps that Jokic is clearly the best player in the world.

UglyBugBall wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I'm OP and I can't deny Jokic looking like the best player right now. If he wins the ring this year I'll admit hes an ATG and the best player in the world. Still a series and a half left though

You said Luka and Embiid were better than him. Luka missed the play in tournament last year, Embiid still hasn’t made the conference finals, and Jokic won it all last year, becoming the first player to lead the playoffs in points, rebounds, and assists.

You were proven wrong before you ever created this thread.

Healthy Luka and Embiid are at least equal to Joker. If he wins this title then he will have earned an edge

Jokic won a title last year.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,472

Post#819 » by CobraCommander » Thu May 16, 2024 12:31 am

https://youtu.be/Glc7sMZF_gs?si=UkGCdSFTto9wIH6E

Eyeatoma and Perk calling Jokic best ever - ok so no one else left to question jokic -

Stop talking about Luka, sga, kd,Tatum, Embiid or even Giannis-

Best of the best of the best
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Jokic is not not the best in the world, and has been heavily rated properly 

Post#820 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 12:36 am

Runteldat

Return to The General Board