Aaron Gordon looks like Shawn Marion on the Nuggets

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,496

Aaron Gordon looks like Shawn Marion on the Nuggets 

Post#1 » by Big J » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:31 pm

He is exactly what they needed. A glue guy who does all of the little things plays hard defense, makes cuts, takes open shots. It reminds of me Shawn Marion when he was playing for the suns with Nash feeding him the ball. The difference with Gordon is he has a 7' tall Nash throwing him backdoor passes. Orlando should have invested in a playmaker to amplify his skills.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,221

Re: Aaron Gordon looks like Shawn Marion on the Nuggets 

Post#2 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:33 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Augusto61
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,862

Post#3 » by Augusto61 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:37 pm

well, if the nuggets have shawn kemp and a 7'0 ft steve nash, the nets should just blow it up
it's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#4 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:39 pm

Much better all around player. I think he may get them into the finals.

BTW, remember how Marion was amazing....until he no longer had Steve Nash? His hops were amazing...but overall overrated (see DeAndre Jordan)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 832

Post#5 » by fateis007 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:59 pm

please stop, AG couldnt lick prime Marions sack.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,229

Post#6 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:06 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Much better all around player. I think he may get them into the finals.

BTW, remember how Marion was amazing....until he no longer had Steve Nash? His hops were amazing...but overall overrated (see DeAndre Jordan)

Nash made both STAT and the Matrix. With that said, they both had amazing talent, Nash just knew how to make them shine to their max potential. for a 2x MVP, Nash is so underrated.
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 353

Post#7 » by NADALalot » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:51 pm

Marion averaged 10 rebounds per game during his 9 years in Phoenix.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,573

Post#8 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:56 pm

Marion had great impact and stats playing with Marbury too.
all i see is blinking lights
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,965

Post#9 » by Metallikid » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:54 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Much better all around player. I think he may get them into the finals.

I don't know Marion was a pretty good Maverick.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,683

Post#10 » by dc » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:58 pm

Big J wrote:Orlando should have invested in a playmaker to amplify his skills.

They invested the better part of 4 years into Elfrid Payton, thinking he was that playmaker.

They probably thought spent the entire time thinking his rooftop hair was holding him back, thinking he had some unlocked upside once he got a proper haircut.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,413

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:58 pm

Maybe Mavericks Marion...
Go Knicks!
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,890

Post#12 » by NashtyNas » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:59 pm

Aaron Gordon is not in any way shape or form a "much better all around player" than Shawn Marion - the guy that literally was dubbed the Matrix due to his versatility and all-around play. He was dubbed the Matrix by Kenny Smith for his ability to do everything on the court and guard multiple positions.

Aaron has a lot of those characteristics but to say that he is a better all around player is simply not true.

Shawn Marion was considered a prime piece in trade talks for Kobe Bryant - Aaron got traded for Gary Harris. Context.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,212

Post#13 » by Mickey8 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:03 pm

So far so good.
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,787

Post#14 » by IgorK » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:03 pm

Metallikid wrote:

Exactly. Many people forget that Marion was a key piece for that Mavs title run. We'll see what Gordon can do to impact the Nugs' title hopes.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,987

Post#15 » by Jadoogar » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:10 pm

Big J wrote:Orlando should have invested in a playmaker to amplify his skills.

How dare you?
Read on Twitter
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,237

Post#16 » by EArl » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:12 pm

IgorK wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Exactly. Many people forget that Marion was a key piece for that Mavs title run. We'll see what Gordon can do to impact the Nugs' title hopes.

He was, but he was past his Suns prime. I hated him on the Suns with a passion. The guy was a beast at his low release 3.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,140

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:12 pm

Lets remember Shawn Marion was at one point a 22/12/2 on 59 TS% guy with great defense. Those numbers also came in a much lower scoring NBA than we are seeing right now.

Aaron Gordon's 3 game sample so far with the Nuggets, 11/4/2 on 59 TS%. Now if we are talking Marion once he became a Mav and was no longer a top 2 scoring option for his team, we are getting closer. But again we are dealing with a 3 game sample size. If Im a Nuggets fan, anything beyond defense and points off cutting should just be a cherry on top. I want him to focus 100% on his defense, if he can continue the defense he has shown in these 3 games, we are talking about a freak athlete at 6'8 235 pounds playing all defense level defense. That should be his primary focus.

Gordon's role right now is pretty much the same role Marion was asked in Denver. But Gordon is in his peak when it comes to athleticism while Mavs Marion we started to see the decline in his athleticism. So hopefully Gordon can do some special things in that 4th option-top defense role he is going to be asked to do going forward.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,683

Post#18 » by dc » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Gordon's role right now is pretty much the same role Marion was asked in Denver. But Gordon is in his peak when it comes to athleticism while Mavs Marion we started to see the decline in his athleticism. So hopefully Gordon can do some special things in that 4th option-top defense role he is going to be asked to do going forward.

Yeah, Gordon's problem has always been that he was never able to turn himself into a true wing on offense, despite being a decent passer. That precludes him from being a Top 3 option (on a good team) on offense.

But defensively he can get after it and guard multiple positions. Mavs' version Marion is a good role for him to excel at.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,046

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:24 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Much better all around player. I think he may get them into the finals. BTW, remember how Marion was amazing....until he no longer had Steve Nash? His hops were amazing...but overall overrated (see DeAndre Jordan)
Nash made both STAT and the Matrix.

Uh, no? Nash turned them into a very good team but Marion had four roughly 20/10 seasons, 4 playoff series, and an AS appearance under his belt in PHX before Nash arrived. And any fantasy bball player from that period can tell you Marion definitely didn't need no Nash to be a major producer in the NBA. His overall #s actually didn't increase at all with Nash around.

(Also when he left the Nash teams he was almost 30 and just wasn't the crazy pogo-stick he was in his prime, he was already a cuople years into clear decline when he left.)
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 919

Post#20 » by mattyBoi » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:27 pm

The Magic have always known this, he is the ideal third guy on a championship team. Top tier defense, play-making, hits open shots. We were just never able to surround him with superstar talent. I have no idea why good teams weren't willing to make solid offers for him.

Return to The General Board