Is Mike Malone a top 5 coach?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,856

Is Mike Malone a top 5 coach? 

Post#1 » by Heej » Mon May 15, 2023 1:08 pm

I'm of the opinion that Malone is certified top 5 right now. Afaik he's the 3rd longest tenured coach after Spo and Pop. Personally I think

Spo
Pop (arguable he's washed but he's still an all timer)
Kerr
Nurse?
Malone

Then you got guys like Tyronn Lue or I suppose CoTY Mike Brown in the mix. But there aren't 5 coaches I'm taking over Malone right now
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Twizlers
Freshman
And1: 144

Re: Is Mike Malone a top 5 coach? 

Post#2 » by Twizlers » Mon May 15, 2023 1:13 pm

This is worthy of my first post on this board.
No, he is not a top 5 coach. His refusal to continue to play Jeff Green in these playoffs is evidence of that. I wouldn't say he is a bad coach, but he certainly has questionable rotations and can't draw up plays.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#3 » by Pythagoras » Mon May 15, 2023 1:17 pm

Heej wrote:I'm of the opinion that Malone is certified top 5 right now. Afaik he's the 3rd longest tenured coach after Spo and Pop. Personally I think

Spo
Kerr
Nurse?
Malone

Then you got guys like Tyronn Lue or I suppose CoTY Mike Brown in the mix. But there aren't 5 coaches I'm taking over Malone right now

It’s not crazy to have him in the top 5, although I probably wouldn’t. I’d probably have Lue ober him. If Bud gets a job I’d take him too. I also don’t think Monty is that far off from him if he gets rehired. I also wouldn’t have Pop in the top 5 either.
Numbers rule the universe.
Heej
General Manager

Post#4 » by Heej » Mon May 15, 2023 1:18 pm

Twizlers wrote:This is worthy of my first post on this board.
No, he is not a top 5 coach. His refusal to continue to play Jeff Green in these playoffs is evidence of that. I wouldn't say he is a bad coach, but he certainly has questionable rotations and can't draw up plays.

This is the most common textbook fan response about every coach so I don't believe this is a valid disqualifier :lol:
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,107

Post#5 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon May 15, 2023 1:48 pm

Nope.

Apparently the only weak link Nuggets have is the coach.
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,107

Post#6 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon May 15, 2023 1:49 pm

Heej wrote:I'm of the opinion that Malone is certified top 5 right now. Afaik he's the 3rd longest tenured coach after Spo and Pop. Personally I think

Spo
Kerr
Nurse?
Malone

A coach can be washed within one/two seasons?
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,248

Post#7 » by Sgt Major » Mon May 15, 2023 1:54 pm

You mean "to discontinue", as he keeps playing him.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Heej
General Manager

Post#8 » by Heej » Mon May 15, 2023 1:58 pm

Ni Da Ye wrote:

Spo
Kerr
Nurse?
Malone

A coach can be washed within one/two seasons?

It's been accused ever since the DeRozan era where they were playing dinosaur offense
cam24thomas
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#9 » by cam24thomas » Mon May 15, 2023 2:03 pm

He's the grumpiest coach in the NBA, very depressing, but Jokic is also pretty grumpy so its a good fit.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,837

Post#10 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 15, 2023 2:04 pm

i don't think he's a top 5 coach but who do you think he should play instead of Jeff Green? Deandre Jordan? Thomas Bryant?
In the playoffs, coaches tend to go with guys they trust. Jeff Green for all his faults is a veteran who knows how to play and won't make simple mistakes. That's a lot more than all these young players that people tend to suggest.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,607

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Mon May 15, 2023 2:11 pm

Jadoogar wrote:

i don't think he's a top 5 coach but who do you think he should play instead of Jeff Green? Deandre Jordan? Thomas Bryant?
In the playoffs, coaches tend to go with guys they trust. Jeff Green for all his faults is a veteran who knows how to play and won't make simple mistakes. That's a lot more than all these young players that people tend to suggest.

He won’t make really obvious mistakes like a dumb turnover but he does just provide a very low level of play on both sides of the floor because his shot isn’t falling right now. Unfortunately the Nuggets are not a deep team so they don’t have many other options, young or otherwise.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,837

Post#12 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 15, 2023 2:15 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

He won’t make really obvious mistakes like a dumb turnover but he does just provide a very low level of play on both sides of the floor because his shot isn’t falling right now. Unfortunately the Nuggets are not a deep team so they don’t have many other options, young or otherwise.

Some nuggets' fans really want Zeke Nnaji or whatever, that's just not realistic at this point in the playoffs.
Maybe some more minutes for Reggie Jackson?
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,848

Post#13 » by Karate Diop » Mon May 15, 2023 2:25 pm

He's not a Top 5 coach but I think he's good enough to get you a championship.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,377

Post#14 » by nate33 » Mon May 15, 2023 3:03 pm

Heej wrote:

This is the most common textbook fan response about every coach so I don't believe this is a valid disqualifier :lol:

Yes, every time a coach lacks perfect 20/20 foresight to predict when a player will play good or bad, he is criticized for his "bad rotations".
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#15 » by moss_is_1 » Mon May 15, 2023 3:11 pm

Spo
Kerr
Nurse?
Malone

I'd say Spo, Lue, Kerr, Pop, Carlisle. There's quite a few very good coaches. It's so subjective though because so much goes into it and not something you would consistently see what a coach does.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,998

Post#16 » by Teen Girl Squad » Mon May 15, 2023 3:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Heej wrote:

Yes, every time a coach lacks perfect 20/20 foresight to predict when a player will play good or bad, he is criticized for his "bad rotations".

Ryen Russilo had a great rant about this once. "Bad rotations" and "no adjustments" are code for "X didn't work, not X would have obviously worked 100% of the time." Basically it means you have no idea whats going on except you didn't like the outcome. Doesn't mean that there aren't times where its true, but you can actually single those out over a series (aka Bud refusing to change his defense on Butler).

As far as Malone goes, I put him in the 'Vogel' bucket of mid coaches who are good enough to win a championship but won't do anything special. He's good enough to play the obvious players/lineups and make the obvious adjustments so that the coaching advantage from someone like Spo won't be too big a factor nor will he put his team in obviously bad spots that set them up to struggle.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,377

Post#17 » by nate33 » Mon May 15, 2023 3:30 pm

Teen Girl Squad wrote:As far as Malone goes, I put him in the 'Vogel' bucket of mid coaches who are good enough to win a championship but won't do anything special. He's good enough to play the obvious players/lineups and make the obvious adjustments so that the coaching advantage from someone like Spo won't be too big a factor nor will he put his team in obviously bad spots that set them up to struggle.

Agreed. Malone is solid. He is not consistently elite like Spo, but few are.

Mostly, I just love how that Denver team is put together. The coach and the personnel are ideal matches for Jokic. Calvin Booth did a real nice job in the offseason trading for KCP, signing Bruce Brown, and drafting Christian Braun.

If you look at that roster, everyone fits well and is paid appropriately except for MPJ.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,178

Post#18 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon May 15, 2023 3:31 pm

solid guy. top 10 for sure. could make an argument for top 5 if he wins a championship.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,549

Post#19 » by cupcakesnake » Mon May 15, 2023 3:34 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

Yeah I agree and wanted to ad to this.
There's a type of NBA rotation player who gets minutes not because he's incredibly productive or good, but because he makes a lineup work. The Nuggets run fairly complicated defensive rotations and they need mobility and size. Green doesn't bring much to the table, but he doesn't take things off of it either (to borrow the old Bill Simmons turn of phrase). He's a good cutter and finisher. Pair that with his size and mobility on defense and he's a useful Denver frontcourt player.

I also bang the Zeke Nnaji/Vltako Cancar drums and don't get why they aren't playing. But Jeff Green checks some bare minimum boxes that makes things work so I'm glad he's getting minutes over Bryant or Deandre, at least.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,549

Post#20 » by cupcakesnake » Mon May 15, 2023 3:39 pm

Coaching rankings are always a bit silly because we don't see much of the coaching so we over index on the things we can see. We really value wins (and ignore roster talent often when accounting for those wins). We value highly visible adjustments. We value overachieving expectations.

Malone has never ranked in the top 5 of ElectricMayhem's Coaching Value Index.. He finished 8th this year and that feels fine by me. I'd argue for him as high as 6. There are 4 coaches I would rather have in a playoff run (Spo, Pop, Nurse, Carlisle) and I also have Jenkins ahead of him. He's clearly weathered some storms in Denver over the years and kept the ship afloat. Denver is always proactive and cohesive. He managed the regular season well and hasn't had any hiccups in the playoffs. Denver might just be so much better than the opponents they've faced, but Malone definitely doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast

Return to The General Board