How often do NBA players smoke weed?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,195

Re: How often do NBA players smoke weed? 

Post#21 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat May 20, 2023 1:48 am

bballfan1three3 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:So based on nothing im going to assume the best players in the world dont smoke before games...and the guys who do are your role players that dgaf...

So based on your logic if you smoke weed you can become a millionaire roleplaying NBA player? Sign me up! Sounds amazing!

Ummm you can smoke weed and be anything....lol
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,965

Post#22 » by One Last Shot » Sat May 20, 2023 1:48 am

You need CIA files for an accurate answer.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,876

Post#23 » by LakersLegacy » Sat May 20, 2023 1:53 am

Teenage, twenty and thirty year old millionaires + its legal
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,300

Post#24 » by Calvin Klein » Sat May 20, 2023 2:00 am

Pretty sure KD smokes daily
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,756

Post#25 » by Forbes » Sat May 20, 2023 2:05 am

Didn’t read all the comments yet but I’m here to tell y’all a lot of NBA players smoke daily and A LOT of NBA players smoke before the game to get locked in. Way more than whatever number you have in your head.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,984

Post#26 » by stillgotgame » Sat May 20, 2023 2:07 am

AleksandarN wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:You would think that recreational marijuana use is pretty common in the NBA but then again these guys are athletes who might care about damaging their lungs therefore impacting their play. I am pretty sure in the offseason more players are smoking frequently but during the season I am not sure. Does Adam Silver still test for weed?

Come on no one is smoking weed.

Why you yellin at me Lebron, I s’posed to run out the clock. :lol:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,107

Post#27 » by Shock Defeat » Sat May 20, 2023 2:19 am

bovice wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:You would think that recreational marijuana use is pretty common in the NBA but then again these guys are athletes who might care about damaging their lungs therefore impacting their play. I am pretty sure in the offseason more players are smoking frequently but during the season I am not sure. Does Adam Silver still test for weed?

why would one think that?

Because amongst 20 yr olds in America smoking is ridiculously common. It's everywhere.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,499

Post#28 » by D.Brasco » Sat May 20, 2023 2:26 am

HMFFL wrote:Roughly 18 years ago on the GB I created a topic claiming that Tracy McGrady is high while he plays. At the time people didn't like the claim. Years ago he came out and admitted he was high often while he played.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Do you think that gave him any advantage or held him back as a player? I think playing drunk would be ridiculous but I guess weed is different in that respect?
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,188

Post#29 » by twyzted » Sat May 20, 2023 3:06 am

Kd apperantly smoked alot of weed.
“He smokes even more weed than you would think,” Sullivan said, via audacy.com. “I was at his house at one o’clock in the morning. The entire place just reeks. He doesn’t have a girlfriend. He doesn’t go on crazy vacations. He doesn’t do anything other than hoop. Like nothing. He’s boring as hell. So going out to him is just blazing.”

@5:29 the guy talks about it.
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,188

Post#30 » by Bobbymcgee » Sat May 20, 2023 3:17 am

Legend has it that Stockton and Hornacek would smoke a bowl in Stockton's minivan before every home game while listening to a CD of The Grateful Dead's greatest hits.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,443

Post#31 » by CP War Hawks » Sat May 20, 2023 3:40 am

BCbudraptorfan wrote:not more then me

Quality over quantity. They have access to really exclusive primo stuff. Smoking is so 90s, difference ways to ingest cannaboids nowadays.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,136

Post#32 » by chilluminati » Sat May 20, 2023 3:52 am

I could never smoke and play. Even when I used to play pickup in my early 20's during my smoking heyday, I would wait until after because I hate sweating while I'm high plus the high would get ruined trying to defend yourself from inevitable fights that would always break out.

As for NBA players, we've heard from plenty of them that have before games, and quite often too. But as others have said I'm sure it's only a certain percent. The complacency is real, and I'm sure that's detrimental in a league where everyone is trying to find the competitive advantage.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,508

Post#33 » by boomershadow » Sat May 20, 2023 3:53 am

Obviously some, but i bet its less than you might think. I know a few alpha male type, successful, driven individuals who don't like weed at all.
Pistol_Pete
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#34 » by Pistol_Pete » Sat May 20, 2023 3:57 am

I blazed before a game because of a dumbass teammate. I was the best player on the team, and I was subbed out midway through the first quarter and the coach kept asking me “where’s your head at today”. I couldn’t keep up, focus was totally off, felt like i was in f* space. Never did it again before a game.

Some guys handle it differently, but for me it was an absolute detriment to my game.
:(
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,208

Post#35 » by moderndarwin » Sat May 20, 2023 6:29 am

Very few would smoke before a game. They play a lot of road games. Meaning they have to fly and can’t take it with them. It’s not a sustainable habit. And most NBA level
players need a routine to stick to. No hooper is gonna smoke only on home games and then not smoke in road games. It’ll mess with your vibe and the way you play. Anyone that smokes knows this. It’s also way different smoking and playing with friends in an open gym. Playing in front of fans etc that’s not really conducive to a locked in smoke sort of situation.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#36 » by monopoman » Sat May 20, 2023 6:33 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Probably the same amount as anyone else? Maybe a bit less since smoke inhalation can be bad long-term for an athlete.

Vaping is the hottest way to get weed in the year 2023, while old school smoking is still a thing it has dropped off heavily as vaping became more popular and legalization in many states has proceeded.

moderndarwin wrote:Very few would smoke before a game. They play a lot of road games. Meaning they have to fly and can’t take it with them. It’s not a sustainable habit. And most NBA level
players need a routine to stick to. No hooper is gonna smoke only on home games and then not smoke in road games. It’ll mess with your vibe and the way you play. Anyone that smokes knows this. It’s also way different smoking and playing with friends in an open gym. Playing in front of fans etc that’s not really conducive to a locked in smoke sort of situation.

Unless you are bringing massive quantities these days it's pretty rare to get caught with it at most airports. Now sure some still won't risk it, but the TSA is not really trying to find drugs they care far more about weapons and having too much shave gel.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,195

Post#37 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 am

monopoman wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Probably the same amount as anyone else? Maybe a bit less since smoke inhalation can be bad long-term for an athlete.

Vaping is the hottest way to get weed in the year 2023, while old school smoking is still a thing it has dropped off heavily as vaping became more popular and legalization in many states has proceeded.

I thought vaping was just as bad as smoking cigarettes?

Not really sure but just from google....

Breathing in the harmful chemicals from vaping products can cause irreversible (cannot be cured) lung damage, lung disease and, in some cases, death. Some chemicals in vaping products can also cause cardiovascular disease and biological changes that are associated with cancer development.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#38 » by monopoman » Sat May 20, 2023 6:37 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
monopoman wrote:

I thought vaping was just as bad as smoking cigarettes?

Not really sure but just from google....

Breathing in the harmful chemicals from vaping products can cause irreversible (cannot be cured) lung damage, lung disease and, in some cases, death. Some chemicals in vaping products can also cause cardiovascular disease and biological changes that are associated with cancer development.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/the-health-hazards-of-vaping-are-overblown/article33703363/

There is a lot of anti-vaping stuff out there mostly to try to get teens not to do it, there also have been some vaping companies that were using less safe materials earlier on.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 277

Post#39 » by HurricaneDij25 » Sat May 20, 2023 6:39 am

No Josh Howard references yet?
SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#40 » by SashaTheMachine » Sat May 20, 2023 6:49 am

Probably hit a quick Stiiizy or something like that before they sleep or chill. Athletes say there’s always a lot of downtime.

In college, roommates and i would always go to the rec center to play basketball. It’s fun when you’re just messing around and having a good time, especially with people who don’t usually play. Happened a lot that year as one of the roommates was the campus dealer. :lol:

Return to The General Board