How often do NBA players smoke weed?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

BCbudraptorfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,041

Re: How often do NBA players smoke weed? 

Post#41 » by BCbudraptorfan » Sat May 20, 2023 6:54 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
BCbudraptorfan wrote:not more then me

Quality over quantity. They have access to really exclusive primo stuff. Smoking is so 90s, difference ways to ingest cannaboids nowadays.

my name is BCbudraptorfan for a reason 8-)
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,061

Post#42 » by Sofia » Sat May 20, 2023 7:13 am

bballfan1three3 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:So based on nothing im going to assume the best players in the world dont smoke before games...and the guys who do are your role players that dgaf...

So based on your logic if you smoke weed you can become a millionaire roleplaying NBA player? Sign me up! Sounds amazing!

Your interpretation is not good.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,841

Post#43 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 20, 2023 11:39 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
monopoman wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Probably the same amount as anyone else? Maybe a bit less since smoke inhalation can be bad long-term for an athlete.

Vaping is the hottest way to get weed in the year 2023, while old school smoking is still a thing it has dropped off heavily as vaping became more popular and legalization in many states has proceeded.

I thought vaping was just as bad as smoking cigarettes?

Not really sure but just from google....

Breathing in the harmful chemicals from vaping products can cause irreversible (cannot be cured) lung damage, lung disease and, in some cases, death. Some chemicals in vaping products can also cause cardiovascular disease and biological changes that are associated with cancer development.

We're talking about weed, not cigarettes. Cigarettes are bad for you whether you smoke or vape because cigarette ingredients are literally toxic chemicals. Weed is harmless when you vape it, and mildly bad when you smoke it (since smoke is bad for you, the weed itself is harmless).
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#44 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 20, 2023 11:46 am

monopoman wrote:Vaping is the hottest way to get weed in the year 2023, while old school smoking is still a thing it has dropped off heavily as vaping became more popular and legalization in many states has proceeded.

I vape (because I've had lung surgery in the past), but I've never met a single other person who vapes weed lol.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,094

Post#45 » by hauntedcomputer » Sat May 20, 2023 1:18 pm

I smoked weed with James Worthy so it's not a new thing.
Not before games tho.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#46 » by monopoman » Sat May 20, 2023 1:35 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
monopoman wrote:Vaping is the hottest way to get weed in the year 2023, while old school smoking is still a thing it has dropped off heavily as vaping became more popular and legalization in many states has proceeded.

I vape (because I've had lung surgery in the past), but I've never met a single other person who vapes weed lol.

Are you in a place where it's legal? I see it all over the place in my city, we have a multitude of stores offering a large selection of products here.

For instance if I went to say Dallas, TX I would expect it to be super rare because in Texas they still treat it as a illegal narcotic.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#47 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:09 pm

monopoman wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Are you in a place where it's legal? I see it all over the place in my city, we have a multitude of stores offering a large selection of products here.

monopoman wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I am. I'm in Toronto. Tobacco vaping is common, but not weed, at least from my experience.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,442

Post#48 » by CP War Hawks » Sat May 20, 2023 3:17 pm

BCbudraptorfan wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:
BCbudraptorfan wrote:not more then me

Quality over quantity. They have access to really exclusive primo stuff. Smoking is so 90s, difference ways to ingest cannaboids nowadays.

Speaking of something being so 90s, British Columbia bud... Bay area bud has always been the standard, and seemingly half their inventory floats around Atlanta.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,009

Post#49 » by mastermixer » Sat May 20, 2023 5:12 pm

I would guess 20-30% regularly/ habitually smoke week.

And probably 40-50% if you include players that occasionally smoke recreationally.

Just purely a speculative guess tho.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#50 » by Joker » Sat May 20, 2023 6:17 pm

Being high and trying to remember an out of bounds play in crunch time in front of millions of viewers doesn’t seem like a good time. Just the pure aspect of physically playing while stoned could be a good time though. Thinking about X’s and O’s and timeouts and clock management, less so.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,779

Post#51 » by JayMKE » Sat May 20, 2023 10:43 pm

I would guess a high proportion of pro athletes do just based on their age demographic, wealth, and it being more "health conscious" than the alternatives. I don't think its frowned upon other than don't get yourself in trouble, I imagine most teams prefer their star stay home blazing playing video games than alcohol/drugs/hang out at the club/drama with women.
FREE GIANNIS
BCbudraptorfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,041

Post#52 » by BCbudraptorfan » Sun May 21, 2023 2:51 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
BCbudraptorfan wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:

Speaking of something being so 90s, British Columbia bud... Bay area bud has always been the standard, and seemingly half their inventory floats around Atlanta.

how old are you son? bc bud is the finest in the world
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,626

Post#53 » by rockmanslim » Sun May 21, 2023 8:32 am

HMFFL wrote:Roughly 18 years ago on the GB I created a topic claiming that Tracy McGrady is high while he plays. At the time people didn't like the claim. Years ago he came out and admitted he was high often while he played.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Any link where he admitted this? I never heard this, can't find anything on google.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

angeezy414
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#54 » by angeezy414 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:55 pm

Marijuana use varies among players. Some may indulge more during the offseason, while others may refrain altogether. As for me, I prefer VIHO Supercharge. They're less harmful and more pleasant.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,600

Post#55 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:15 pm

I went to a good basketball D1 school and those guys were ripped for most games. I think there’s a good number who smoke a lot. KD just felt comfortable talking about how much he smokes due to his status/being on the back 9. I think lots of others don’t feel they can share as freely.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,996

Post#56 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:18 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:So based on nothing im going to assume the best players in the world dont smoke before games...and the guys who do are your role players that dgaf...

I know athletes (or at least athletic people) who workout 6x a week, walk 20k steps a day, talk on a phone for a living...and have proudly stated that nobody has seen them sober in the last 30 years. I just don't think you can tell..
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#57 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:21 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Probably about the same as most of us, for the average player.

Things like alcohol and weed use goes up with income...to a point. Not sure where the magic line is, used to be 75k USD but that's obviously not it anymore. But yeah, odds are they consume at higher rates since it's a meaningless part of their income.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#58 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:22 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:Teenage, twenty and thirty year old millionaires + its legal

Well, it isn't legal. Some places have chosen to ignore the law...
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,366

Post#59 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon May 6, 2024 7:26 pm

The smart ones aren't smoking it, they're vaporizing it.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#60 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 6, 2024 7:26 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
monopoman wrote:
Vaping is the hottest way to get weed in the year 2023, while old school smoking is still a thing it has dropped off heavily as vaping became more popular and legalization in many states has proceeded.

I thought vaping was just as bad as smoking cigarettes?

Not really sure but just from google....

Breathing in the harmful chemicals from vaping products can cause irreversible (cannot be cured) lung damage, lung disease and, in some cases, death. Some chemicals in vaping products can also cause cardiovascular disease and biological changes that are associated with cancer development.

We're talking about weed, not cigarettes. Cigarettes are bad for you whether you smoke or vape because cigarette ingredients are literally toxic chemicals. Weed is harmless when you vape it, and mildly bad when you smoke it (since smoke is bad for you, the weed itself is harmless).

I'm in 100% agreement with your larger point that smoking cigarettes are way, way worse for you than marijuana.

1. As you said, tobacco plants have carcinogens unique to tobacco. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco-specific_nitrosamines.
2. Tobacco smokers inhale way more TAR than marijuana smokers. The average tobacco smoker smokes a pack of cigs a day which is far more than the average pot smoker smokes. And they smoke for far longer because nicotine is way more addictive than weed. Marijuana, like all plants, when burned does produce carcinogens but because pot smokers smoke far less than tobacco smokers the health risks are way lower. And of course point 1 reduces it even moreso.

That said walking around stoned all the time isn't good for your health. That's the primary health risk of pot: stupid decision making/opportunity cost. I regret spending much of my twenties drunk.

Return to The General Board