MPJ or Braun?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Better starter?

MPJ
78%
Braun
22%

Total votes: 68

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

MPJ or Braun? 

Post#1 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:17 am

Hypothetical: If Denver could pay MPJ and Braun the same amount, meaning contract doesn't factor into the equation, who would be the better starting SF for Denver going forward?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Re: MPJ or Braun? 

Post#2 » by Big J » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:21 am

MPJ is trash.
Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Post#3 » by Medbrat » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:21 am

You gotta roll with Braun for obvious reasons, but mpj will be hard to trade.
Twizlers
Freshman
And1: 170

Post#4 » by Twizlers » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:26 am

I'd take MPJ. You could argue that the Nuggets would not be in the Finals if it wasn't for MPJ and his playoffs (up until now).
That said, given MPJ's injury issues and Braun's potential, I could see some taking him but it's a gamble on whether Braun can develop his shot.
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,702

Post#5 » by Synciere » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:30 am

Uhm… are people choosing Braun because of a tiny sample size right now? Because Porter has been a 17 ppg scorer on 49% shooting this past season. The OP asked if money didn’t matter, and Braun is a marginal bench player who averaged less than 5 ppg during the regular season. How tf does Brain become the better player for the Nuggets moving forward?
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,789

MPJ or Braun? 

Post#6 » by sikma42 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:34 am

Braun would make them much easier to guard

He isn’t very talented.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#7 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:38 am

Synciere wrote:Uhm… are people choosing Braun because of a tiny sample size right now? Because Porter has been a 17 ppg scorer on 49% shooting this past season. The OP asked if money didn’t matter, and Braun is a marginal bench player who averaged less than 5 ppg during the regular season. How tf does Brain become the better player for the Nuggets moving forward?

You make a good point.

MPJ has a big advantage when it comes to physical talent but I love how often Braun makes the right play. The right rotation, the right cut, the right pass, etc. Making great decisions happens few and far between with MPJ. So many of his contributions are predicated on physical talent.

So I could see people taking Braun if they think his game will improve while thinking MPJ's decision-making will not improve.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Synciere
General Manager

Post#8 » by Synciere » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:41 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Synciere wrote:Uhm… are people choosing Braun because of a tiny sample size right now? Because Porter has been a 17 ppg scorer on 49% shooting this past season. The OP asked if money didn’t matter, and Braun is a marginal bench player who averaged less than 5 ppg during the regular season. How tf does Brain become the better player for the Nuggets moving forward?

You make a good point.

MPJ has a big advantage when it comes to physical talent but I love how often Braun makes the right play. The right rotation, the right cut, the right pass, etc. Making great decisions happens few and far between with MPJ. So many of his contributions are predicated on physical talent.

So I could see people taking Braun if they think his game will improve while thinking MPJ's decision-making will not improve.

He’s also a better defender than Porter but that plus making the right play isn’t making him the more valuable player. This is a very weird question.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#9 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 am

Synciere wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

You make a good point.

He’s also a better defender than Porter but that plus making the right play isn’t making him the more valuable player. This is a very weird question.

Let me ask you this: which of the two would Pop, Spo or Kerr prefer to coach?
The hottest of takes...
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by sikma42 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:51 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Synciere wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
You make a good point.

For the same salary, it’s obviously MPJ. Braun wouldn’t play on most of their teams

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#11 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:55 am

sikma42 wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Synciere wrote:

For the same salary, it’s obviously MPJ. Braun wouldn’t play on most of their teams

Wow. I disagree. Braun's a guy in this league. What he's shown as a rookie in these playoffs is crazy valuable. He should be in the game for MPJ right now, Malone is making a mistake.
The hottest of takes...
Synciere
General Manager

Post#12 » by Synciere » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:03 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Synciere wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
You make a good point.

1. Anyone on this board who would assume to know the answer to that is lying to themselves and everyone here.

2. Great coaches have always been accompanied by great players. Pop ain’t Pop without Timmy. everyone loves a good role player who plays for cheap and brings value greater than their 3 million dollar salary, but it’s the guys with the most talent who drive the bus to championships, so to that end, based on the 10 or so games I’ve watched this year of the Nuggets, plus the playoffs, plus the stats… if you put a fun to my head, I’m saying everyone one of those coaches is taking MPJ! Again, wtf?!?! Y’all are going to pull a groin trying to make Christian Braun more valuable than MPJ lol..

Again, why the need to elevate him? What’s driving this?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,568

Post#13 » by Domejandro » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:06 am

Despite being unable to dribble, Michael Porter Jr.'s gravity as a catch-and-shoot player is incredibly valuable for Denver's offense.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:09 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Hypothetical: If Denver could pay MPJ and Braun the same amount, meaning contract doesn't factor into the equation, who would be the better starting SF for Denver going forward?

lebron stops the ball. he's totally unfit for gsw's system

they're both good for for den, so i'll take mj's "win at all costs" desire
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:10 am

Synciere wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Synciere wrote:

1. Anyone on this board who would assume to know the answer to that is lying to themselves and everyone here.

2. Great coaches have always been accompanied by great players. Pop ain’t Pop without Timmy. everyone loves a good role player who plays for cheap and brings value greater than their 3 million dollar salary, but it’s the guys with the most talent who drive the bus to championships, so to that end, based on the 10 or so games I’ve watched this year of the Nuggets, plus the playoffs, plus the stats… if you put a fun to my head, I’m saying everyone one of those coaches is taking MPJ! Again, wtf?!?! Y’all are going to pull a groin trying to make Christian Braun more valuable than MPJ lol..

Again, why the need to elevate him? What’s driving this?

Keep your composure dog!

I honestly value and would take Braun over MPJ at this point. MPJ has been around long enough that I don't think he's going to become a better decision-maker. He's added rebounding to his game, which is great for him. But he's still a marginal on ball defender and he still gets lost off ball.

Meanwhile, Braun is a smarter player and a solid athlete in his own right. I would bet on his shot improving over MPJ's BBIQ.
The hottest of takes...
Chokic
Senior
And1: 645

Post#16 » by Chokic » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:17 am

Mpj is much more talented but low iq player give me Braun. Rock chalk.
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by sikma42 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:32 am

Chokic wrote:Mpj is much more talented but low iq player give me Braun. Rock chalk.

Would you want Braun as the long term starter on your team?

payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,265

Post#18 » by payton2kemp » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:28 am

Everyone likes to rag on MPJ, but the dude has been through it. He stated on the JJ podcast, he hasn't had a single off season to actually work on his game. Dudes pretty much spent all his time just recovering from major injuries.

He said this will be the first off season where he can actually work on his game full time.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#19 » by jkvonny » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:57 pm

They are both valuable.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,041

Post#20 » by TheFire » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:00 pm

MPJ. Gordon and Braun together isn’t the best for shooting and spacing.

Return to The General Board