Who will be the next American MVP?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,779

Re: Who will be the next American MVP? 

Post#61 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Sep 5, 2023 5:43 am

SGA
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 703

Post#62 » by kds92 » Tue Sep 5, 2023 2:10 pm

Think it could be a while. Jokic, Giannis, and Embiid have finished top 3 in voting the last two years. Luka is lurking too.

Tatum & Booker are the logical choices, but Booker's chances may be hurt by playing with KD. I think KD and Curry are likely done winning MVPs - even if one of them has an amazing regular season, they'd get rest towards the end to gear up for the playoffs.

Ant may be a good choice, especially if Jokic & Giannis have peaked in a few years and voter fatigue sets in. Shai is lurking though.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,785

Post#63 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Sep 5, 2023 2:22 pm

Of the established top players in the league Tatum is the only one with a shot. I think it’s most likely going to be someone who isn’t MVP caliber yet improving a lot from current state.

Ant, Mobley, Haliburton, Garland, Morant, Zion, etc

Booker is amazing obviously but we know what he is and he isn’t MVP caliber.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,634

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 5, 2024 2:54 pm

I wager Ant Man now has the media adoration and team success necessary to start stealing MVP votes from Luka, Jokic and SGA.

His biggest hurdles will be an historically inept front office and ownership group.

Read on Twitter
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,906

Post#65 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 5, 2024 3:23 pm

Brunson will be in this conversation next season when the Knicks win 57+ games.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#66 » by jpatrick » Sun May 5, 2024 3:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I wager Ant Man now has the media adoration and team success necessary to start stealing MVP votes from Luka, Jokic and SGA.

His biggest hurdles will be an historically inept front office and ownership group.

Read on Twitter

Ownership is a disaster in that no one knows who the owner is. But management, as long as they can keep Connelly, they have a top 3 GM. Building both Denver and Minnesota, he’s fantastic.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,656

Post#67 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:33 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:SGA

Canadian
Sign here
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#68 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 3:33 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Brunson will be in this conversation next season when the Knicks win 57+ games.

He's so small, and a tier or two below mvp level
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#69 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:42 pm

I think it will be difficult for Tatum to win it as there is too much offensive talent on the team, most signed for the next few years. The "stats" will get spread out too much. If there was ever a season you could say he deserved it, it would have been this past one. Best player on the top team end to end in the regular season and the title favorites all year as well and very good stat line. The prior year he was in the running for MVP for the first 3 or 4 months. But that year he was averaging over 30 and before KP and Holiday arrived. This year his shots and scoring went back down.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,058

Post#70 » by bledredwine » Sun May 5, 2024 4:09 pm

Gorilla in the room is that ANT embodies that Kobe/Jordan competitive mindset that the majority of us have been craving for years.

But we need that excitement. It’s the essence of sport. Hopefully he goes on to become the face of the league.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,938

Post#71 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 4:21 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Brunson will be in this conversation next season when the Knicks win 57+ games.

How can you still be spewing this crap when he just knocked off the reigning MVP without his #2? People are talking about what a blow losing Klieber is, and it is, but it ain't Randle and Bogdanovic substantial. Watch him play.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,155

Post#72 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 5, 2024 5:36 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:

He is small, but two tiers below MVP? I doubt he wins MVP, since the bar is very high at the moment, but statistically, he is basically Curry in his MVP days.
UglyBugBall
Senior

Post#73 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 5:37 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

He is small, but two tiers below MVP? I doubt he wins MVP, since the bar is very high at the moment, but statistically, he is basically Curry in his MVP days.

He's not even better than kyrie right now. Nowhere near peak curry.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,155

Post#74 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 5, 2024 5:52 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

Kyrie is a star and is playing his best basketball he has ever played. But even then I am not sure he is better than Brunson at all. I am not saying he is Curry, but at least statistically, he is basically Curry. I think you greatly underrate Brunson. Second tier MVP candidate, but he is up there.

We probably experiencing glitch in a Matrix, where somehow, a legit NBA Superstar plays for the Knicks, and is somehow the most underrated star in a league.
UglyBugBall
Senior

Post#75 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 7:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Kyrie is a star and is playing his best basketball he has ever played. But even then I am not sure he is better than Brunson at all. I am not saying he is Curry, but at least statistically, he is basically Curry. I think you greatly underrate Brunson. Second tier MVP candidate, but he is up there.

We probably experiencing glitch in a Matrix, where somehow, a legit NBA Superstar plays for the Knicks, and is somehow the most underrated star in a league.

Yeah I wouldnt say kyrie is better, but I'd say they're about equal right now as individuals. I don't feel like you can win a title with Brunson (or kyrie) as the first option though, and I don't think he's nearly as good of a second option as kyrie is. So ultimately I think Kyrie is more conducive to winning at the highest level because he's probably the best #2 in the nba. We're about to find out though, and Brunson could prove me wrong.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,584

Post#76 » by DaPessimist » Sun May 5, 2024 7:20 pm

The Tatum predictions were pretty good. Looks like nobody saw SGA coming though.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,337

Post#77 » by pilkoids » Sun May 5, 2024 7:26 pm

DaPessimist wrote:The Tatum predictions were pretty good. Looks like nobody saw SGA coming though.

What? Do so few Americans know that SGA is Canadian?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#78 » by CobraCommander » Sun May 5, 2024 7:28 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:SGA

Canadian

Sga is American -
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#79 » by CobraCommander » Sun May 5, 2024 7:28 pm

pilkoids wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:The Tatum predictions were pretty good. Looks like nobody saw SGA coming though.

Sga is drakes cousin - he is American
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,656

Post#80 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:48 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
pilkoids wrote:

Sga is drakes cousin - he is American

Canadian Born. American Born was stipulated in the OP.
Sign here

Return to The General Board