Would Bucks still go for Dame if they knew Celtics get Jrue?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Would Bucks still do the trade?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:54 am

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 217

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,635

Re: Would Bucks still go for Dame if they knew Celtics get Holiday? 

Post#41 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:56 pm

MrGoat wrote:Jrue was getting cooked in that series. What I'm saying is his defense is overrated and Milwaukee was smart to sell now on him. He's actually a little older than Lillard and defense ages worse than offense

I think folks have taken that 1st round upset in a problematic direction. Folks seem to think that the Bucks lost because Holiday failed at stopping Butler.

People need to remember that the game the Bucks won in that series, they won without Giannis.

And for good measure, the On-Off for the two guys in the series:

Giannis -6.0
Holiday +24.9

If a Bucks' star is going to be blamed for the upset, it should clearly be Giannis.

All that said, I obviously wouldn't be looking to trade Giannis, and I'd certainly have strongly considered Dame-for-Jrue. Just saying, if you're one of the many who bought into the very wrong trope of Holiday being to blame for what happened, look closer.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
ReddoverKobe
Head Coach
And1: 6,933

Re: Would Bucks still go for Dame if that means Celtics get Holiday? 

Post#42 » by ReddoverKobe » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:58 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:"If you knew that Khris Middleton would land on the Miami Heat, would the Bucks still trade Middleton for Kevin Durant?"

Yes.....yes they would.

Middleton is worse than Holiday.
Durant is better than Lillard.

Holiday is known for shutting down Lillard.
Middleton is not known for shutting down Durant.

Bucks' moves have a good chance to work out for the best, but your analogy really doesn't work.

Go check Dame's stats against Jrue. He does not shut him down. One playoff series is not a career.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#43 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:58 pm

The goal #1 for supporting Giannis is getting an end of game scorer next to him. And it has to be a ball handling perimeter one specifically.

Middleton looked washed last year and couldn't fulfill that role.

They got one of the best closers in the game in Dame.

So yeah why not?

Honestly there's not many better 1-2 punches you can think of in the NBA than those two just on a theoretical level just because there's not many better closers in the NBA of the guard-wing type than Dame.

Even Luka doesn't work as well because his game is so slow based that Giannis wouldn't work as well off ball as anything more than just a version of a lob only Center to compliment in. Whereas with a faster paced Dame opens more things up theoretically for Giannis running off ball using his vertical gravity that teams have to account for on defense.

I'd say outside of Dame the only better pairing next to Giannis would be:

Curry for obvious reasons
not KD because we've seen him choke 2 years in a row in the playoffs
Maybe Booker
Not Irving because he actually doesn't improve his team mates when he plays, not even mentioning being a ticking time bomb
Maybe Beal

Yeah so only Curry would be a better fit next to Giannis in the entire league. So don't over think it.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#44 » by GiannisAnte34 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:00 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
MrGoat wrote:Jrue was getting cooked in that series. What I'm saying is his defense is overrated and Milwaukee was smart to sell now on him. He's actually a little older than Lillard and defense ages worse than offense

I think folks have taken that 1st round upset in a problematic direction. Folks seem to think that the Bucks lost because Holiday failed at stopping Butler.

People need to remember that the game the Bucks won in that series, they won without Giannis.

Giannis -6.0
Holiday +24.9

If a Bucks' star is going to be blamed for the upset, it should clearly be Giannis.

All that said, I obviously wouldn't be looking to trade Giannis, and I'd certainly have strongly considered Dame-for-Jrue. Just saying, if you're one of the many who bought into the very wrong trope of Holiday being to blame for what happened, look closer.

Giannis was playing with a back contusion and obviously looked gingerly. What an asinine statement.
ReddoverKobe
Head Coach

Post#45 » by ReddoverKobe » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:05 pm

Yes, no question.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,108

Post#46 » by Showdown » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:14 pm

Yes because Giannis would leave them if they didn't bring star that give him legitimate chance to win the title and Curry and Lillard are on top of his wishlist because of the compatibility.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,987

Post#47 » by Prez » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:15 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

Giannis -6.0
Holiday +24.9

Jrue had a 49% TS for the series, took over 8 3PA/game hitting at below 29%, and was not only the primary defender on the man that murdered us for 38 ppg on 67% TS, but was actively waving off guys who could’ve done better in that matchup (Wes for example). Not to mention the litany of late game poor decision making.

I’m sorry but no, I’m not just going to look at the on/off numbers in a tiny 5 game sample size where that number can be wildly skewed by a single game (like game 2, which is an obvious outlier, a game that Giannis missed and thus doesn’t get the benefit of in his on/off numbers), and make broad conclusions on the series based on just that.

Jrue was abysmal that series by the standards of someone who made the ASG last season, and was a massive part of that series imploding for the Bucks. Nobody is saying Jrue was the ONLY problem that series (there were a bunch) but his performance undeniably was one. He was horrifically inefficient offensively and got utterly ruined defensively by a matchup that he was calling for and waving others off of.

Also, Giannis literally missed half the series with a back injury and was clearly still playing through pain when he returned for games 4-5, that’s probably why many Bucks fans aren’t ripping him too hard for that series.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,083

Post#48 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:20 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:"If you knew that Khris Middleton would land on the Miami Heat, would the Bucks still trade Middleton for Kevin Durant?"

Yes.....yes they would.

Bucks' moves have a good chance to work out for the best, but your analogy really doesn't work.

It 100% works in that it's an absolute no-brainer move/talent upgrade and perfect fit between a Top-2 and Top-15 player in the league that every team in their situation does every single time if your goal is to win championships.

Well....
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#49 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:23 pm

ReddoverKobe wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Yes.....yes they would.

Go check Dame's stats against Jrue. He does not shut him down. One playoff series is not a career.

I'll amend:

Holiday is known for shutting down Lillard in the playoffs, as well as really f-ing with other star guards.

No one has such a reputation for the regular season, so as long as that's where they play, Dame should be fine. :wink:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#50 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:25 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Giannis -6.0
Holiday +24.9

Giannis was playing with a back contusion and obviously looked gingerly. What an asinine statement.

I think you start off by recognizing that what you see as obvious is obvious to me too, and then re-read while keeping in mind that I didn't say "Trade Giannis".

ReddoverKobe
Head Coach

Post#51 » by ReddoverKobe » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:27 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
ReddoverKobe wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I'll amend:

Holiday is known for shutting down Lillard in the playoffs, as well as really f-ing with other star guards.

No one has such a reputation for the regular season, so as long as that's where they play, Dame should be fine. :wink:

Love Jrue but he also had prime AD with him when that happened and he's played with Giannis and Lopez since then. Lot of crazy things being said about Jrue the last few days.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#52 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:29 pm

Prez wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Giannis -6.0
Holiday +24.9

Jrue had a 49% TS for the series, took over 8 3PA/game hitting at below 29%, and was not only the primary defender on the man that murdered us for 38 ppg on 67% TS, but was actively waving off guys who could’ve done better in that matchup (Wes for example). Not to mention the litany of late game poor decision making.

I’m sorry but no, I’m not just going to look at the on/off numbers in a tiny 5 game sample size where that number can be wildly skewed by a single game (like game 2, which is an obvious outlier, a game that Giannis missed and thus doesn’t get the benefit of in his on/off numbers), and make broad conclusions on the series based on just that.

Jrue was abysmal that series by the standards of someone who made the ASG last season, and was a massive part of that series imploding for the Bucks. Nobody is saying Jrue was the ONLY problem that series (there were a bunch) but his performance undeniably was one. He was horrifically inefficient offensively and got utterly ruined defensively by a matchup that he was calling for and waving others off of.

Also, Giannis literally missed half the series with a back injury and was clearly still playing through pain when he returned for games 4-5, that’s probably why many Bucks fans aren’t ripping him too hard for that series.

Re: not just going to look at on/off. Didn't say you should. Only that if you think "We'd have won that series if only Jrue hadn't been terrible", you should consider that the on/off doesn't just say there's an absence of evidence there, but actually says that Jrue had more impact than the other Bucks.

Realistically I don't think anyone wants to have to rely on Holiday as a volume scorer, and Dame is a big upgrade there, but the idea that we should zoom in and blame Holiday for the upset when we know full well that Giannis was hurt, missed time, and wasn't there for the only game the team won is pretty odd.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#53 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:32 pm

ReddoverKobe wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
ReddoverKobe wrote:

I'll amend:

Love Jrue but he also had prime AD with him when that happened and he's played with Giannis and Lopez since then. Lot of crazy things being said about Jrue the last few days.

Can Jrue anchor a defense without interior helpers? No. But there's just no disputing his ability to be a top flight perimeter man defender based on track record.

I think Butler going nuts really messed with people. The reality is that a) Butler's just a streaky guy who gets hot sometimes, b) Butler isn't a guard-sized guy, and was playing the 4 for the Heat last year.

Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,987

Post#54 » by Prez » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:52 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Prez wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Giannis -6.0
Holiday +24.9

Re: not just going to look at on/off. Didn't say you should. Only that if you think "We'd have won that series if only Jrue hadn't been terrible", you should consider that the on/off doesn't just say there's an absence of evidence there, but actually says that Jrue had more impact than the other Bucks.

Realistically I don't think anyone wants to have to rely on Holiday as a volume scorer, and Dame is a big upgrade there, but the idea that we should zoom in and blame Holiday for the upset when we know full well that Giannis was hurt, missed time, and wasn't there for the only game the team won is pretty odd.

There’s plenty of evidence if we don’t take the on/off numbers of a tiny 5 game sample size as gospel.

Again, it is such a tiny sample size that a single game like a blowout in game 2 can completely skew the numbers for the whole series to make it look favorable on the whole, not to mention the number says nothing about the strength of lineups these guys are playing in.

How about the other 4 games where Jrue was at 45% TS, on 36/25/69 shooting splits? And not just horrific efficiency, but numerous terrible shots in possessions that could’ve generated better looks?

Or what about games 4 & 5, absolute must win games, where Jrue gave us 33% FG/24% 3PT shooting splits while his defensive matchup averaged 49 ppg on obscene efficiency across those 2 games?

Those were two critical games lost by a combined 7 points in which Jrue was abominably inefficient and let his direct matchup go off like peak Jordan. Jrue being just marginally less awful in those games absolutely could’ve swung things in that series. Not that it definitely would have, but it’s certainly possible. And again, nobody is blaming the entire series on Jrue, just pointing out that his performance was a big factor.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#55 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:56 pm

Bucks were just eliminated in Round 1/2 the last 2 years. Making sure you have enough talent to weather an injury is priority #1. If you are consistently making the ECF you can be brazen enough to worry about potential match-ups over getting better.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,553

Post#56 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:01 pm

It's not like the Celtics got Jrue for free. They created a sizeable hole at center to upgrade Smart. I think the Bucks had to do it either way. Their offense needed more firepower to go toe-to-toe with the Nuggets. They don't give you the trophy for getting out of the East.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,556

Post#57 » by Scarletfire81 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:34 pm

jbk1234 wrote:It's not like the Celtics got Jrue for free. They created a sizeable hole at center to upgrade Smart. I think the Bucks had to do it either way. Their offense needed more firepower to go toe-to-toe with the Nuggets. They don't give you the trophy for getting out of the East.

I loved RWIII when he played well. But it wasn’t that often & it wasn’t enough. He’s a role player.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,553

Post#58 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:36 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:It's not like the Celtics got Jrue for free. They created a sizeable hole at center to upgrade Smart. I think the Bucks had to do it either way. Their offense needed more firepower to go toe-to-toe with the Nuggets. They don't give you the trophy for getting out of the East.

I loved RWIII when he played well. But it wasn’t that often & it wasn’t enough. He’s a role player.

I agree with your assessment regarding Timelord, but *playoff Kornet* is not a phrase that would excite me as a Celtics fan.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,724

Post#59 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:44 pm

Yes, it's a competitive league. Teams make their moves, roll the ball out there. Let's Go.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#60 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:45 pm

Prez wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Prez wrote:Jrue had a 49% TS for the series, took over 8 3PA/game hitting at below 29%, and was not only the primary defender on the man that murdered us for 38 ppg on 67% TS, but was actively waving off guys who could’ve done better in that matchup (Wes for example). Not to mention the litany of late game poor decision making.

There’s plenty of evidence if we don’t take the on/off numbers of a tiny 5 game sample size as gospel.

Again, it is such a tiny sample size that a single game like a blowout in game 2 can completely skew the numbers for the whole series to make it look favorable on the whole, not to mention the number says nothing about the strength of lineups these guys are playing in.

How about the other 4 games where Jrue was at 45% TS, on 36/25/69 shooting splits? And not just horrific efficiency, but numerous terrible shots in possessions that could’ve generated better looks?

Or what about games 4 & 5, absolute must win games, where Jrue gave us 33% FG/24% 3PT shooting splits while his defensive matchup averaged 49 ppg on obscene efficiency across those 2 games?

Those were two critical games lost by a combined 7 points in which Jrue was abominably inefficient and let his direct matchup go off like peak Jordan. Jrue being just marginally less awful in those games absolutely could’ve swung things in that series. Not that it definitely would have, but it’s certainly possible. And again, nobody is blaming the entire series on Jrue, just pointing out that his performance was a big factor.

Once again, I didn't say to treat it as gospel.

Of course as I say that and can acknowledge +/- noise in small samples, it probably should be said that Holiday pretty much always looks excellent by such measures no matter the sample.

Return to The General Board