"If Westbrook don't be careful, he will find himself out of the league come next year"

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Re: "If Westbrook don't be careful, he will find himself out of the league come next year" 

Post#121 » by HotRocks34 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:11 am

Excellent bounce-back game for Russ.

19/8/3 on 8-13 with 2 TO as the Clips rout the Spurs.

This is the second time in three games Russ has led the team with a +30 plus-minus.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,018

Re: "If Westbrook don't be careful, he will find himself out of the league come next year" 

Post#122 » by meekrab » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:15 am

Kendrick Perkins is a substantially less well informed version of SAS, that's all.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,698

Post#123 » by tsherkin » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:09 am

meekrab wrote:Kendrick Perkins is a substantially less well informed version of SAS, that's all.

He is also less-proficient at being the agitator villain. He seems like a dumb bag of rocks (whether he is or is not), instead of a smirking agent provocateur. He's unlikeable in a far less entertaining fashion than SAS, who is much more fun to hate when he very clearly says ridiculous things to provoke.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#124 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:17 am

tsherkin wrote:
meekrab wrote:Kendrick Perkins is a substantially less well informed version of SAS, that's all.

He is also less-proficient at being the agitator villain. He seems like a dumb bag of rocks (whether he is or is not), instead of a smirking agent provocateur. He's unlikeable in a far less entertaining fashion than SAS, who is much more fun to hate when he very clearly says ridiculous things to provoke.

in short, you mean perk talks like a dumb@$$ :D :D :D

sas talks like a smart@$$
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,698

Post#125 » by tsherkin » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:21 am

Lalouie wrote:in short, you mean perk talks like a dumb@$$ :D :D :D

Kind of? It's a little more than that. I think SAS is just better at his chosen role. Perk just says stupid things without any flair or panache. SAS, he's a cheeky little bastard who is exactly what you expect out of a little ****-disturber. I guess it's a style thing.
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#126 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 am

tsherkin wrote:
Lalouie wrote:in short, you mean perk talks like a dumb@$$ :D :D :D

Kind of? It's a little more than that. I think SAS is just better at his chosen role. Perk just says stupid things without any flair or panache. SAS, he's a cheeky little bastard who is exactly what you expect out of a little ****-disturber. I guess it's a style thing.

you're right of course.

sas started imitating himself after his hilarious rant on the knicks draft a few years ago. it was when they had a lock on the #1 and they ended up #3. it went viral and now he's just imitating himself
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#127 » by xinxin » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:23 am

ejftw wrote:He ended up being careful, joined a group that respected him instead of scapegoating him

Really now?

Respected?

PG13 who jumped at the chance to leave him in OKc to join the clips in 2020..

Or Kawhi who snubbed Russ’ own offer to team up in LA.. & called PG13 instead..

How quickly people forget ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lalouie
RealGM

Re: 

Post#128 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:40 am

xinxin wrote:
ejftw wrote:He ended up being careful, joined a group that respected him instead of scapegoating him

Really now?

Respected?

clever manipulation of words. you make it sound like pg couldn't wait to leave RUSS and that's bs
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 904

Post#129 » by Roy T » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:03 am

Westbrook looks good out there mane. Happy, he found a place where he is appreciated.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,063

Post#130 » by Drakeem » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:10 am

Yeah, I don't get this pressure to change our stances just because he improved/got to a better situation for himself.

There are full on compilations of him throwing up airballs or hitting the side of the backboard on some of the wildest angles you've seen. Cool, he earns A LOT less money which lets the team load up on better players, and he's surrounded by strong shooters while also putting it on himself to improve. I mean, I'm happy for him and the Clippers, but good play doesn't erase the fact that you still played poorly for a long period of time.

I know it's the internet, but sometimes multiple things can be right at the same time. Him playing well for the Clippers doesn't negate the fact that the Lakers were a WCF team the moment they offloaded him for some spare role players.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
xinxin
Sixth Man

Post#131 » by xinxin » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:20 pm

Lalouie wrote:
xinxin wrote:

Really now?

Respected?

clever manipulation of words. you make it sound like pg couldn't wait to leave RUSS and that's bs

And what exactly did PG13 do?

Didn’t he leave at the first chance?

So what the version now? What manipulation are you talking about ?

Lalouie
RealGM

Re: 

Post#132 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:31 pm

xinxin wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
xinxin wrote:Really now?

Respected?

you are implying he wanted to GET AWAY from westbrook...that's your version. what he wanted to do is return to socal. there's a big big diff. ie you're adding westbrook to an equation that doesn't involve westbrook AT ALL

pg and westbrook celebrated pg's birthday iirc at which he affirmed he wanted to play in okc, but he got a chance to GO HOME and when he left he said he wanted to go back to socal and westbrook was NOT the reason for leaving.

pg has been in westbrook's corner and was the guy who suggested and BACKED westbrook when the clips FO wasn't sure about picking westbrook up.

so what version of the national enquirer have you been reading anyway?
xinxin
Sixth Man

Post#133 » by xinxin » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:02 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/report-russell-westbrook-asked-kawhi-leonard-in-2019-about-clippers-team-up-which-leonard-used-to-lure-paul-george

I guess Russ calling Kawhi first but Kawhi calling PG13 instead of taking Russ on his offer makes all the difference to you. I get it. That’s probably karma for Russ too.

The point is, PG13 left Russ at the first chance he got. Even if it meant destroying OKc’s & Russ’s chances of contending that year. & to think he did sign a multi year deal with OKc. That’s pretty douche level there. No sugarcoating that.

ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,114

Re: 

Post#134 » by ejftw » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:47 pm

xinxin wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
xinxin wrote:Really now?

Respected?

Weird, didn't realize that Clippers signed PG as a free agent, as that would have been the first chance.

Cookie for your efforts
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,743

Post#135 » by Harry Garris » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:50 pm

I do think he would be out of the league if he was playing for any other franchise. The Clippers are a near perfect fit for him. He gets to be a third option on a team that has two stars that can both space the floor for him, and it's a franchise that really struggles with leadership and really simple stuff like just playing with effort and intensity, both of which Russ helps give them a boost in.

His shooting is probably going to wind up suffering this year just like it has the last few years of his career. But when PG and Kawhi are healthy it doesn't matter, they can withstand Russ's bad shot selection and inability to make open 3s. They need his playmaking and his leadership so badly it's worth it to the Clips.
Lalouie
RealGM

Re: 

Post#136 » by Lalouie » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:58 am

xinxin wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/report-russell-westbrook-asked-kawhi-leonard-in-2019-about-clippers-team-up-which-leonard-used-to-lure-paul-george

I guess Russ calling Kawhi first but Kawhi calling PG13 instead of taking Russ on his offer makes all the difference to you. I get it. That’s probably karma for Russ too.

The point is, PG13 left Russ at the first chance he got. Even if it meant destroying OKc’s & Russ’s chances of contending that year. & to think he did sign a multi year deal with OKc. That’s pretty douche level there. No sugarcoating that.

no man. that's not the narrative you're implying. - "PG13 who jumped at the chance to leave him in OKc to join the clips in 2020."

boss, you did NOT HAVE TO put westbrook's name in pg's decision, but you DID and by doing so you changed the narrative and shifted the focus on westbrook

"details matter" - jack reacher
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Post#137 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:14 am

Harry Garris wrote:I do think he would be out of the league if he was playing for any other franchise.

No, that was never a serious possibility.

As soon as Russ got away from the Lakers, people seemed to realize that the Lakers end of things looked to be as much of an issue as the Russ end of things. Just a bad fit. Russ isn't what he used to be, but he still has plenty left in the tank and can help a team.

As the 2022-23 season wore on and the Clippers got hurt and faded from the playoffs as usual, things started to take shape for Russ' future.

1. As free agency approached, NBA reporter Mark Medina put this out:

https://thesportingtribune.com/will-russell-westbrook-return-to-the-clippers

Other NBA executives around the league believe Westbrook could still attract offers worth $10-$15 million per season. The Clippers may not have offered that money even if they had the space.

Teams aren't making offers of that size to players on their way out of the league. Russ had just averaged 23/7/7 against the Suns in the first round of the 2023 playoffs and teams, predictably, knew there was still tread left on the tire.

2. So how can LAC keep Russ if other teams want him and can pay him more?

Eric Pincus explained the Clipper plan here:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077538-complete-2023-offseason-guides-for-every-nba-team

Sources say the team hopes to bring back Russell Westbrook at a hometown discount ($3.8 million) for a year, to be paid next summer with Early Bird Rights (like Nicolas Batum and, formerly with the team, Reggie Jackson).

What the Clippers hoped to do -- and what it seemed like they did -- was snag Russ for cheap with the intention of giving him a significant pay raise next summer (summer of 2024), when he'll have a player option.

3. Which other teams may have had interest in Russ?

Because Russ re-signed with the Clips shortly after free agency began, there was never much public discussion (on the record) about who may have had interest in him.

That said, one team kept coming up around his name.

https://nbaanalysis.net/2023/06/13/nba-rumors-miami-heat-russell-westbrook-los-angeles-clippers-free-agency-news/

Recently, a former NBA executive told Evan Massey of NBA Analysis Network that Russell Westbrook is a name that could be on the Heat’s radar come free agency. “There are going to be a few teams out there with interest in Russ. I think Miami will be very intrigued by adding a guard who can create and score. For Westbrook, I think the Heat are the perfect fit.”

In summary, then:

* Russ was never going to be out of the league, whether he stayed with the Clippers or not
* It seems the Clippers got him on a discount for this year and realize they'll have to pay him more next year
* Miami may have well been one of the other teams interested in Russ

I made this thread to point out the ridiculousness of the "Russ may be out of the league in a year!" predictions that started about one year ago.

The claims never had any legit merit and, at this time, seem even more laughable when looking back. Particularly given how well Russ has played for the Clips both in the regular season and the postseason.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Goomba3666
Veteran
And1: 3,315

Post#138 » by Goomba3666 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:44 am

HotRocks34 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:I do think he would be out of the league if he was playing for any other franchise.

As soon as Russ got away from the Lakers, people seemed to realize that the Lakers end of things looked to be as much of an issue as the Russ end of things. Just a bad fit. Russ isn't what he used to be, but he still has plenty left in the tank and can help a team.

As the 2022-23 season wore on and the Clippers got hurt and faded from the playoffs as usual, things started to take shape for Russ' future.

Other NBA executives around the league believe Westbrook could still attract offers worth $10-$15 million per season. The Clippers may not have offered that money even if they had the space.

Teams aren't making offers of that size to players on their way out of the league. Russ had just averaged 23/7/7 against the Suns in the first round of the 2023 playoffs and teams, predictably, knew there was still tread left on the tire.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077538-complete-2023-offseason-guides-for-every-nba-team

Sources say the team hopes to bring back Russell Westbrook at a hometown discount ($3.8 million) for a year, to be paid next summer with Early Bird Rights (like Nicolas Batum and, formerly with the team, Reggie Jackson).

What the Clippers hoped to do -- and what it seemed like they did -- was snag Russ for cheap with the intention of giving him a significant pay raise next summer (summer of 2024), when he'll have a player option.

Because Russ re-signed with the Clips shortly after free agency began, there was never much public discussion (on the record) about who may have had interest in him.

https://nbaanalysis.net/2023/06/13/nba-rumors-miami-heat-russell-westbrook-los-angeles-clippers-free-agency-news/

Recently, a former NBA executive told Evan Massey of NBA Analysis Network that Russell Westbrook is a name that could be on the Heat’s radar come free agency. “There are going to be a few teams out there with interest in Russ. I think Miami will be very intrigued by adding a guard who can create and score. For Westbrook, I think the Heat are the perfect fit.”

In summary, then:

* Russ was never going to be out of the league, whether he stayed with the Clippers or not
* It seems the Clippers got him on a discount for this year and realize they'll have to pay him more next year

I made this thread to point out the ridiculousness of the "Russ may be out of the league in a year!" predictions that started about one year ago.

The claims never had any legit merit and, at this time, seem even more laughable when looking back. Particularly given how well Russ has played for the Clips both in the regular season and the postseason.

His play in the post season was a nail in the coffin for the people that hate him. Not to mention all the players that love him as a teammate.

Bron stans have mostly moved on; Lakers got the snot beat out of them and they blamed DLO. Lol. I'm not sure DLOs career would be able to survive the slew of Bron worshippers crapping on him for a full season. Glad Russ got out when he could.
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#139 » by PedroFlu » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:55 am

Goomba3666 wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

In summary, then:

His play in the post season was a nail in the coffin for the people that hate him. Not to mention all the players that love him as a teammate.

Bron stans have mostly moved on; Lakers got the snot beat out of them and they blamed DLO. Lol. I'm not sure DLOs career would be able to survive the slew of Bron worshippers crapping on him for a full season. Glad Russ got out when he could.

It must really suck to be a Russell Westbrook stan. Lol.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,475

Post#140 » by og15 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:28 pm

Harry Garris wrote:I do think he would be out of the league if he was playing for any other franchise. The Clippers are a near perfect fit for him. He gets to be a third option on a team that has two stars that can both space the floor for him, and it's a franchise that really struggles with leadership and really simple stuff like just playing with effort and intensity, both of which Russ helps give them a boost in.

His shooting is probably going to wind up suffering this year just like it has the last few years of his career. But when PG and Kawhi are healthy it doesn't matter, they can withstand Russ's bad shot selection and inability to make open 3s. They need his playmaking and his leadership so badly it's worth it to the Clips.
Westbrook doesn't have the personality to be out of the league while still being in shape and healthy, because he's actually a nice human being.

Obviously one has to adjust, so if he's saying he needs to be a starter and star, that would limit him.

Players like him as a teammate, he would easily find a team to play for, doesn't mean he would be a star or starter. His biggest issue with the Lakers was that he was being paid like a superstar. There would have been far less complaining if he made less. On a different team this season, he wouldn't be paid superstar money.

Being realistic, a team like the Suns could use him as a PG, he's played with both Beal and Durant before. A team like the Wolves could use him at PG. Even a team like the Pelicans who are trying to make McCollum a PG for example.

Return to The General Board