Derrick White, most underrated player in the NBA?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,546

Re: Derrick White, most underrated player in the NBA? 

Post#41 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:40 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:
To an extend I agree. But there have been other All Stars who also served well on very good teams, but weren't or wouldn't have been as good to generate offense as a so called first option. There are numerous. Obviously many big men, but to keep the discussion honest we should only regard guards.

Rajon Rondo, Jeff Teague, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Mike Conley, Jrue Holiday, Klay Thompson, Fred VanVleet, D'Angelo Russell and Dejounte Murray have been All Star guards the last 10 years. They all needed or need a bigger star to carry the load to be very successful.

Prime Lowry, Jrue, and Klay were all legitimate all stars IMO, but I have all of them as better two-way players than White. White's offensive limitations are more pronounced. The Spurs ran their offense through Murray for a reason when they both shared a backcourt.

The rest of your list were basically one and done with all star appearances and got in as a result of better players being injured. As a Cavs fan, it would be great if White got in. There'd be no way the Celtics could afford to retain him.

I don't really care at all about the all star game or put much credence in all star selections precisely because a good deal of the selection process is arbitrary. It's worse with agents now running social media campaigns in order to get their clients payed. Having said all of that, I don't think really good role players, as critical as they can be to a team's success, should be making all star teams.

I love White as a player but I dont see a path to him being an All-Star, its a counting stats game and I cant see him beating out Haliburton, Trae, Maxey, Lillard, Mitchell, and Brunson (Nor do I think he should). I think that makes the guard spots pretty set, I assume Lamelo doesnt play enough but if he does you can toss him in there too. I agree ASG's are very arbitrary and a lot is about what conference/position/team success/injuries etc. But in general role players shouldnt make ASGs over guys that have to do more heavy lifting on offense. The league is just so different now too, 10 years ago 15 PPG could get you on a team (Kyle Korver) , but now? Even guys like Rozier, Garland, Coby White and Cade are averaging at or near 20 PPG and thats in the next tier of guards that probably wont be all stars.

Garland has already made an all star team and in addition to points, he always manages to post a ton of assists.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,044

Post#42 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:04 am

I think White is the best role player in the NBA. He's not a starting caliber guard at either position but he's the perfect combo guard that can play either role at a high level in spurts when the need arises. Granted, I haven't watched a ton of the Celtics except when they're televised but he seems to just go about his business and he always seems wide open, likely as a result of so much firepower on that team. I think he could put the Kings over the hump. He's exactly what I think we've needed for years.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,706

Post#43 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:58 am

High impact player
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,878

Post#44 » by JJ_PR » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:13 pm

White's story is pretty impressive. He wasn't really on the NBA radar until a late growth spurt.

Celtics got him for absolute peanuts. Rare Spurs L.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,387

Post#45 » by fallguy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:07 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I think White is the best role player in the NBA. He's not a starting caliber guard at either position but he's the perfect combo guard that can play either role at a high level in spurts when the need arises. Granted, I haven't watched a ton of the Celtics except when they're televised but he seems to just go about his business and he always seems wide open, likely as a result of so much firepower on that team. I think he could put the Kings over the hump. He's exactly what I think we've needed for years.

Every number says you're wrong.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 365

Post#46 » by RodyTur10 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:49 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:The Celtics currently have the best record, but not enough is talked about their second most important player: Derrick White.

Derrick White is 14th in EPM, 19th in EW, 17th in BPM, 16th in WS, 20th in VORP and 4th in +/- in the league!
By all accounts White should be an All Star based on his performances.

White is an amazingly allround basketball player. He's good with on-ball and off-ball defense. He's a good passer, good driver and a good shooter. And all of this combined with a high BBIQ. There's no weakness in his game. Rare.

sources: https://dunksandthrees.com/epm and https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_advanced.html

A short week later, my guy is climbing up after some glorious performances, Derrick White is now 9th in EPM(+5), 15th in EW(+4), 13th in BPM(+4), 12th in WS(+4), 14th in VORP(+6) and 4th in +/- in the league. Some stats have weird outliers, but the top 30 lists for EW and VORP show White in some good company. Again, sources: https://dunksandthrees.com/epm and https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_advanced.html

EW top 30 in order

1. Embiid
  2. Jokic
  3. Gilgeous-Alexander
  4. Antetokounmpo
  5. Doncic
  6. James
  7. Davis
  8. Leonard
  9. Maxey
  10. Young
  11. Barnes
  12. Lillard
  13. Curry
  14. Durant
  15. White
  16. Haliburton
  17. Mitchell
  18. Holmgren
  19. George
  20. Tatum
  21. Brunson
  22. Bane
  23. Brown
  24. Booker
  25. Edwards
  26. Towns
  27. VanVleet
  28. Randle
  29. Fox
  30. Bridges

VORP top 30 in order

1. Jokic
  2. Embiid
  3. Gilgeous-Alexander
  4. Doncic
  5. James
  6. Antetokounmpo
  7. Barnes
  8. Haliburton
  9. Leonard
  10. Curry
  11. Durant
  12. Maxey
  13. Davis
  14. White
  15. Brunson
  16. Harden
  17. Mitchell
  18. Sabonis
  19. Sengün
  20. Tatum
  21. Young
  22. Lillard
  23. VanVleet
  24. Holmgren
  25. Towns
  26. Bane
  27. Fox
  28. George
  29. Edwards
  30. Porzingis
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,522

Post#47 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:51 pm

So glad I got him in Fantasy
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,506

Post#48 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:59 pm

He's legit.

I think there is a legit argument he is the Celtics 3rd best player.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 906

Post#49 » by Special_Puppy » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:01 pm

Derrick White not being considered a top 100 player by ESPN was laughable
Wargreymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,548

Post#50 » by Wargreymon » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:22 pm

Alex Caruso is right there with him.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,467

Post#51 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:29 pm

Love him and love seeing him ball out for a contender.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 365

Post#52 » by RodyTur10 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:00 pm

Wargreymon wrote:Alex Caruso is right there with him.

Defensively yes. But offensively Caruso is quite limited.
Nonetheless I agree that Caruso has been underrated in the past.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,387

Post#53 » by fallguy » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:36 pm

White out there smoking the fools who doubt him.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,633

Post#54 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:41 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:The Celtics currently have the best record, but not enough is talked about their second most important player: Derrick White.

Derrick White is 14th in EPM, 19th in EW, 17th in BPM, 16th in WS, 20th in VORP and 4th in +/- in the league!
By all accounts White should be an All Star based on his performances.

White is an amazingly allround basketball player. He's good with on-ball and off-ball defense. He's a good passer, good driver and a good shooter. And all of this combined with a high BBIQ. There's no weakness in his game. Rare.

sources: https://dunksandthrees.com/epm and https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_advanced.html

I think people should consider what you say seriously and also consider:

We expect that the Celtics will have at least 2 all-stars, right? So why is it White shouldn't be one of them?

If the answer is "Because Brown is already that by default", well okay, but I think most would agree Brown's gotten overrated.

Porzingis & Holiday are also guys with serious cases of course and they're not all going to get it, but the idea that the team has 4 superior players ahead of White - which I think many assume to be the case - is far from clear cut.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#55 » by BleedGreen1989 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:44 pm

fallguy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I think White is the best role player in the NBA. He's not a starting caliber guard at either position but he's the perfect combo guard that can play either role at a high level in spurts when the need arises. Granted, I haven't watched a ton of the Celtics except when they're televised but he seems to just go about his business and he always seems wide open, likely as a result of so much firepower on that team. I think he could put the Kings over the hump. He's exactly what I think we've needed for years.

Every number says you're wrong.

Yeah, very odd take. He’s already a plus starter on the best team in the league.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,633

Post#56 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:44 pm

I think at this point people largely appreciate what Caruso is giving his team, it's just that there's only so much you can say accolade-wise about a guy spending more time on the bench than on the court for a team that really hasn't played well enough to expect any all-stars at all.

Now I'm perpetually wonder whether Caruso should be getting starter level minutes, but until he does, I think Caruso is getting adequate love from the broader basketball world.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#57 » by BleedGreen1989 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:45 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:

Defensively yes. But offensively Caruso is quite limited.
Nonetheless I agree that Caruso has been underrated in the past.

Offensively it’s not particularly close.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,563

Post#58 » by CoP » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:34 pm

My favorite Celtic. He's arguably been the team's best overall player this season. JB and KP right there with him.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,707

Post#59 » by Dirk » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:36 pm

CoP wrote:My favorite Celtic. He's arguably been the team's best overall player this season. JB and KP right there with him.

For a mid team, the Cs have a lot of quality players.
60/21/10
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,411

Post#60 » by itrsteve » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:49 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:He's legit.

I think there is a legit argument he is the Celtics 3rd best player.

The interesting part is that he’s normally their second best player on any given night. Who is at #1 just varies.

Return to The General Board