I changed my mind, the Gobert trade was a win-win for both teams

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who won the trade?

Jazz
29%
Timberwolves
28%
Win-win
44%

Total votes: 119

Magoose
Junior
And1: 141

Re: I changed my mind, the Gobert trade was a win-win for both teams 

Post#41 » by Magoose » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:45 pm

Klomp wrote:
Magoose wrote:I never liked the trade and still don't. Reason is that I don't think a strategy of putting all egs in one basket is a reasonable one.
Especially if you put more eggs than necessary in that Jazz basket. Definetely was an overpay by at least one FRP maybe even two.

Although the team's current success is a pleasant change of scenery for the Wolves fan base, sort of pain relief while it's great to see that Rudy is playing like his former self again so far nothing has been achieved yet.

We are probably just one major injury away from another disappointing season (maybe that's just me expecting **** is going to happen after the last 25 years of being a Wolves fan).

Risks aside, what worries me most is that I have no idea how we are going to retool once Rudy's contract has expired. We only have two quite late FRPs in 2024 and 2026 as assets to improve the team in the next 4 years. So unless TC magically pulls another Jokic in those drafts or via one of our SRPs you really have to pray everybody stays healthy and the team better makes use of that time window now/in the next 2-3 years before it's closing again.

But of course I really like how the team is playing right now and how it seems to have established some kind of new culture and identity.

Since when are all eggs in the Rudy basket? Did they trade both Ant and KAT during the night while I wasn’t looking? Naz Reid and Jaden too?

Since we would have to trade one of our core pieces to keep us competitive once Rudy's contract has expired. Or how would we magically improve the team? We definetely lost a lot of our flexibility moving forward trying to maximize Edwards window.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,710

Post#42 » by Warriorfan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:52 pm

Klomp wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Min IMO might not be in 1 slot but in better position with Kessler tradeable exp vets, cap space and picks on the future.

How does one get a better position than best record in the league?

Draft picks to compensate for max salaries
Avoid luxury tax

Plus what was their record last year.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#43 » by thinktank » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:18 pm

KAT injured 52 games?

Rudy’s fault they made playoffs. What a jerk.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#44 » by Papi_swav » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:36 pm

Na the Wolves overpaid. But the deal has looked better for them this year since they're a good team now. But I think they still should of kept 2 of those FRPs they traded away. The late 2020 picks should of never been offered
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,104

Post#45 » by life_saver » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:30 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Min IMO might not be in 1 slot but in better position with Kessler tradeable exp vets, cap space and picks on the future.

How does one get a better position than best record in the league?

Draft picks to compensate for max salaries
Avoid luxury tax

Plus what was their record last year.

Wolves have avoided luxury tax this season and last season too. They are gonna pay luxury tax for the first time in a while next season which was most likely gonna happen at some point of time if Wolves are in a contending position.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,017

Post#46 » by meekrab » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:57 pm

Minnesota still overpaid but would you rather be 19-5 today or dreaming about maybe being 19-5 in 2030?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,168

Post#47 » by shrink » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:09 am

meekrab wrote:Minnesota still overpaid but would you rather be 19-5 today or dreaming about maybe being 19-5 in 2030?

That is so well said!
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,139

Post#48 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:49 am

Well, prepare to change your mind again then.

This trade was always going to favor the Wolves early. The fact that it didn't in year #1 was a huge win for the Jazz. It is no surprise that the Wolves are winning year #2. I thought they would be this good last year.

Add in the fact that they are going to have cap difficulties. Tax difficulties. Add in the likelyhood that Ant starts thinking about being a Laker or Heat before long. And you have a situation that is likely to yield high picks in the future.

Throw in top of all that, the issue with Gobert isn't regular season play. It's playoff play. He plays like a top 20 guy in the regular season, but when teams have time to game plan against him his impact drops precipitously down to a top100 or lower player. He doens't get played off the floor like folks like to say, but his impact does diminish greatly. (a top 100 player is still quite playable, and someone needs to rebound)

So, I'm happy for the Wolves to have this time in the sun. It's what they paid for. It's just going to go the other direction sooner or later and when it's all said and done, it will be clear that this was a terrible trade for the Wolves and a terrific one for the Jazz.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,710

Post#49 » by Warriorfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:40 am

Gobert 8 yrs older then Kessler and makes 38 million more for an additional 4pts 4rb

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kesslwa01.html
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 516

Post#50 » by DrModesty » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:48 am

Warriorfan wrote:Gobert 8 yrs older then Kessler and makes 38 million more for an additional 4pts 4rb

Gobert is transformative. Let's see how this playoff run goes and if it will translate there in the post season.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#51 » by thinktank » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:56 pm

Warriorfan wrote:Gobert 8 yrs older then Kessler and makes 38 million more for an additional 4pts 4rb

Tell me how many more “nevermind—I won’t take this shot” units Gobert has over Kessler. :)

Best defense in the league and by a wide margin.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Tempe
Junior
And1: 530

Post#52 » by Tempe » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Jazz fans off the hopium pining over middle schoolers who might be drafted in 7 years. meanwhile Minnesota sits #1 in the West right now

Best case scenario is Jazz have a few good years in the later 2020s like their run with Mitchell and Gobert, before whoever they draft demands a trade or leaves in FA. Then they’re right back to square 1 again. Fact is top tier NBA talent does not and will never want to play in Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,085

Post#53 » by firedavidkahn » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:24 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Well, prepare to change your mind again then.

This trade was always going to favor the Wolves early. The fact that it didn't in year #1 was a huge win for the Jazz. It is no surprise that the Wolves are winning year #2. I thought they would be this good last year.

Add in the fact that they are going to have cap difficulties. Tax difficulties. Add in the likelyhood that Ant starts thinking about being a Laker or Heat before long. And you have a situation that is likely to yield high picks in the future.

Throw in top of all that, the issue with Gobert isn't regular season play. It's playoff play. He plays like a top 20 guy in the regular season, but when teams have time to game plan against him his impact drops precipitously down to a top100 or lower player. He doens't get played off the floor like folks like to say, but his impact does diminish greatly. (a top 100 player is still quite playable, and someone needs to rebound)

So, I'm happy for the Wolves to have this time in the sun. It's what they paid for. It's just going to go the other direction sooner or later and when it's all said and done, it will be clear that this was a terrible trade for the Wolves and a terrific one for the Jazz.

The trade paid off for the Wolves in year one. With no Gobert last year we don't even make the play offs. KAT was hurt for the majority of last year and Rudy was also dealing with lingering back issues all last year.

Despite all that, without Rudy we don't make the play offs and aren't even as close to as good as we are this year.

Kessler is starting to look like the rare players who come into the league pretty good but never really will be able to improve that much.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,085

Post#54 » by firedavidkahn » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:26 pm

You cannot be taken seriously by comparing box scores when it comes to Gobert :lol:

Teams will actively avoid going anywhere near him which, obviously, cuts down on his box score stats.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,933

Post#55 » by nikster » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:37 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:

You cannot be taken seriously by comparing box scores when it comes to Gobert :lol:

Teams will actively avoid going anywhere near him which, obviously, cuts down on his box score stats.

I'm sure that warrior fan would accept that Lebron is far superior to Curry based on thr massive gap in box score stats :lol:
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#56 » by King4Day » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:41 pm

They still overpaid even if they are seeing positive results.
Difference is, the Wolves team is now gelling, and the pieces are fitting. I have to think they could have still gotten him for a bit less but we'll never know now.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#57 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:42 pm

If the goal of the Gobert trade was for the Wolves to make the playoffs then congratulations, the Wolves achieved their goal. If the goal was to make them a contender or win a ring then I doubt this goal would be achieved. Yes, the Wolves are #1 in the West after 24 games but take it from Jazz fans, just because you have the best record in the league (like the Jazz had for one season under Snyder in 2020-2021) doesn't necessarily equate to playoff success, as we've all seen. The Wolves will find themselves very soon in the same position the Jazz were--with a bloated payroll, a clear and limited ceiling, no avenue to improve the roster, and depleted of tradable assets in a way that makes the team better.

And no, I wouldn't consider the Gobert trade to have paid off in year 1 simply because they somehow made the playoffs through the play-in tournament and got bounced in the first round. That's not why you give away so many assets, and your future.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Kineto
Sophomore
And1: 194

Post#58 » by Kineto » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:09 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:And no, I wouldn't consider the Gobert trade to have paid off in year 1 simply because they somehow made the playoffs through the play-in tournament and got bounced in the first round. That's not why you give away so many assets, and your future.

It was only the second time in 34 years that the Wolves had made the playoffs in 2 consecutive seasons.

In 34 years, the Wolves had only led the Western Conference for a cumulative 10 days!

Even if the Wolves were just as successful as the Jazz of recent years, and not really contend for a championship, it would still be the best team of the last 20 years for this franchise.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#59 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:16 pm

Kineto wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:And no, I wouldn't consider the Gobert trade to have paid off in year 1 simply because they somehow made the playoffs through the play-in tournament and got bounced in the first round. That's not why you give away so many assets, and your future.

It was only the second time in 34 years that the Wolves had made the playoffs in 2 consecutive seasons.

In 34 years, the Wolves had only led the Western Conference for a cumulative 10 days!

Even if the Wolves were just as successful as the Jazz of recent years, and not really contend for a championship, it would still be the best team of the last 20 years for this franchise.

The question is if such a team is worth sacrificing so much for, and if it should cost so much even at the cost of future success. Ironically, you'd probably have been better off without the trade. You'd have a promising rookie in Kessler, depth, trade assets, all your picks, cap flexibility, and you'd probably still be in contention to make the playoffs even last season. I'd consider the current state of affairs for the Wolves as a Pyrrhic victory, if that.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,108

Post#60 » by Showdown » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:15 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Showdown wrote:Minnesota team is the copy of the Utah team had before they started rebuild and only reason why people think that they have any chance of winning the NBA title is Edwards that is better than Mitchel and because there is a hope that KAT can get better and enter the next tier and become superstar in the NBA. If neither of those two become superstar then they have no chance of winning it all and even if they do they still have to beat a lot of great teams to become champions.

Care to tell me the Towns equivalent on Utah?

Utah also had two bigs with Gobert and Favors,then had Bojan,Ingles,Korver and Clarkson as scoring options next to Mitchel,Gobert and Conley in next iterations.

Return to The General Board