What Happened to Kendrick Nunn?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,052

Re: What Happened to Kendrick Nunn? 

Post#21 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:50 am

I mean, out of the league. He was a decent rotation role player, but dime a dozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,532

Post#22 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:44 am

lambchop wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:What happened to this dude? In his first two years, he averaged 15/3/3 for good Heat teams. I know he got hurt, but was his injury that bad? I thought he should've been given more of a chance.

Dude's out of the league already?

That pretty much answers the question. The Heat culture, system, training regimen and diet had him looking like a true nba player. Without that he's just a Euroleague starter. Gabe Vincent looked like a stud in the POs but has 12% from range this season.

Props to the Heat. I wonder how many all star teams Darko Milicic would have made, had they selected him in 03. Real talk.

Vincent’s played in like 2 1/2 games lol. Chuck that sample size out the window.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,155

Post#23 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:42 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:He signed with Euroleague upper middle team Panathinaikos, is coached by Ataman, and is having a good season, tho I wouldn't call him Euroleague star at least now. For a smaller guy, he doesn't have burst or athleticism to be on serious NBA radar.

I'm not sure I'd say that it's "good" so far. He's only effective if he is hitting jump shots. Otherwise, he's just taking a bunch of one on one plays and basically low percentage at that, and with basically no ability to play make or involve teammates at all.

I would say that Panathinaikos' budget right now has to be higher than upper middle. Hernangomez....he's a gigantic bust signing for them so far. Him and Kemba might be the two most overpaid players in EuroLeague right now.

lambchop wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:What happened to this dude? In his first two years, he averaged 15/3/3 for good Heat teams. I know he got hurt, but was his injury that bad? I thought he should've been given more of a chance.

Dude's out of the league already?

That pretty much answers the question. The Heat culture, system, training regimen and diet had him looking like a true nba player. Without that he's just a Euroleague starter. Gabe Vincent looked like a stud in the POs but has 12% from range this season.

Props to the Heat. I wonder how many all star teams Darko Milicic would have made, had they selected him in 03. Real talk.

EuroLeague doesn't really have "starters". Several EuroLeague MVPs were bench players. Strictly set starters and bench players has not really been a thing in EuroLeague, at least not for many years.

UcanUwill wrote:
Greek wrote:He is playing in my team Panathinaikos, he has lots of ups and downs, missing consistency, i was expecting better 3pt shooting from him or creativity. Am expecting way more than what he showed

Yes, he is very inconsistent so far, kind off like Isaiah Canaan earlier in his euro career, guy was brutal, but now often stars for stacked Olympiacos team. I think Nunn will be very good euro player, but maybe not yet for Panathinaikos. I don't really see him coming back To NBA unless he is content with two way or something like that. At least you guys dodged Edmond Sumner, that guy will be out of Euroleague soon unless serious turn around happens.

Isaiah Canaan is an absolute one trick pony. All he can do is shoot. He can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't create, he can't run pick and roll, he can't play defense......

He's like the most one dimensional rotation guard in EuroLeague. He's basically like a worse version of Andy Obst. All Canaan is good for is shooting open jumpers, and he benefits from Bartzoka's system that gets open shots for guys. Same way Vezenkov and now Peters benefit from it.

But if Canaan isn't making open 3s, he is a totally useless player.

Edit : Sorry for the long comment, geez...

I actually agree with you on most parts for once. Canaan is one trick pony, he is not a dynamic player, but he is still damn good one, similar to Beaubouis. I mentioned him as example because he used to be very inconsistent and in stretches looked like worst player in Euroleague getting minutes, him and Marshon Brooks man, those were guys that ruined many EL fantasy runs with two games. But Euroleague managers believed in him and he figured it out, now he is one of those players that defenses cant risk on at any cost and is key player on a stacked team, and that is admirable. I mean his team signed Ignas Brazdeikis who is borderline on NBA radar, at least was, and he barely cracks rotation, sometimes doesn't on that team. They have Milutinov who pretty much is NBA caliber center and schooled many NBA guys in World cup, and he is not even their best center, Fall is. So to be constant threat and contributor on such team is something, you can't tell me Isaiah Canaan is some European scrub now.

As for Nunn, well yeah, when he is not hitting shots, he is pretty much nothing at best, but you can say that about many players, even stars. He is definitely not Luka or Jasikevicius or Campazzo even, where they can score 2 points and still have major impact because of their total offensive control, but when Nunn scores, he can be good, he is microvawe type of guy.

It his first season in Europe, Many good players looked worse their first year. Exum was a big nothing his first year, his second year was better, and now he was revelation for Dallas, at least for a few weeks there.

Nunn overall is just not the guy really worth talking about on NBA forum, he will probably be good Euroleaguer for years, He doesn't really have handle or athleticism of Mike James, or Speed and IQ of Facu Campazzo, or quick accurate release of Marcus Howard, or even size and strentgh of Thomas Walkup to be elite Euroleague guard, but he is good at that level, he will be fine. But NBA... younger, better alternatives come around all the time and thats just it, he washed out, happens all the time every year.

Recent idiotic conspiracy comment I saw that Lin was pushed out the league because of his race. And man, players just wash out, many NBA players just wash out of the league every year. Lin was just not good anymore, Nunn is just not good anymore, someone recently made a thread about ben McLemore. I mean some guys are just not good anymore or were never good, people just need to accept the fact competition exist and there are no racist black balling conspiracies towards certain players. Was Jordan Farmer pushed out the league cause he is Jew or something, I mean come on, every year we have dozens Jeremy Lins of all races who just leave the league.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,394

Post#24 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:01 am

Injuries killed his career, small guards don't get a lot of injury wiggle room unless they are elite scorers.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#25 » by lambchop » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:13 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:He signed with Euroleague upper middle team Panathinaikos, is coached by Ataman, and is having a good season, tho I wouldn't call him Euroleague star at least now. For a smaller guy, he doesn't have burst or athleticism to be on serious NBA radar.

I'm not sure I'd say that it's "good" so far. He's only effective if he is hitting jump shots. Otherwise, he's just taking a bunch of one on one plays and basically low percentage at that, and with basically no ability to play make or involve teammates at all.

I would say that Panathinaikos' budget right now has to be higher than upper middle. Hernangomez....he's a gigantic bust signing for them so far. Him and Kemba might be the two most overpaid players in EuroLeague right now.

lambchop wrote:

EuroLeague doesn't really have "starters". Several EuroLeague MVPs were bench players. Strictly set starters and bench players has not really been a thing in EuroLeague, at least not for many years.

UcanUwill wrote:Yes, he is very inconsistent so far, kind off like Isaiah Canaan earlier in his euro career, guy was brutal, but now often stars for stacked Olympiacos team. I think Nunn will be very good euro player, but maybe not yet for Panathinaikos. I don't really see him coming back To NBA unless he is content with two way or something like that. At least you guys dodged Edmond Sumner, that guy will be out of Euroleague soon unless serious turn around happens.

Isaiah Canaan is an absolute one trick pony. All he can do is shoot. He can't pass, he can't dribble, he can't create, he can't run pick and roll, he can't play defense......

He's like the most one dimensional rotation guard in EuroLeague. He's basically like a worse version of Andy Obst. All Canaan is good for is shooting open jumpers, and he benefits from Bartzoka's system that gets open shots for guys. Same way Vezenkov and now Peters benefit from it.

I actually agree with you on most parts for once. Canaan is one trick pony, he is not a dynamic player, but he is still damn good one, similar to Beaubouis. I mentioned him as example because he used to be very inconsistent and in stretches looked like worst player in Euroleague getting minutes, him and Marshon Brooks man, those were guys that ruined many EL fantasy runs with two games. But Euroleague managers believed in him and he figured it out, now he is one of those players that defenses cant risk on at any cost and is key player on a stacked team, and that is admirable. I mean his team signed Ignas Brazdeikis who is borderline on NBA radar, at least was, and he barely cracks rotation, sometimes doesn't on that team. They have Milutinov who pretty much is NBA caliber center and schooled many NBA guys in World cup, and he is not even their best center, Fall is. So to be constant threat and contributor on such team is something, you can't tell me Isaiah Canaan is some European scrub now.

As for Nunn, well yeah, when he is not hitting shots, he is pretty much nothing at best, but you can say that about many players, even stars. He is definitely not Luka or Jasikevicius or Campazzo even, where they can score 2 points and still have major impact because of their total offensive control, but when Nunn scores, he can be good, he is microvawe type of guy.

It his first season in Europe, Many good players looked worse their first year. Exum was a big nothing his first year, his second year was better, and now he was revelation for Dallas, at least for a few weeks there.

Nunn overall is just not the guy really worth talking about on NBA forum, he will probably be good Euroleaguer for years, He doesn't really have handle or athleticism of Mike James, or Speed and IQ of Facu Campazzo, or quick accurate release of Marcus Howard, or even size and strentgh of Thomas Walkup to be elite Euroleague guard, but he is good at that level, he will be fine. But NBA... younger, better alternatives come around all the time and thats just it, he washed out, happens all the time every year.

Recent idiotic conspiracy comment I saw that Lin was pushed out the league because of his race. And man, players just wash out, many NBA players just wash out of the league every year. Lin was just not good anymore, Nunn is just not good anymore, someone recently made a thread about ben McLemore. I mean some guys are just not good anymore or were never good, people just need to accept the fact competition exist and there are no racist black balling conspiracies towards certain players. Was Jordan Farmer pushed out the league cause he is Jew or something, I mean come on, every year we have dozens Jeremy Lins of all races who just leave the league.

Lin was actually a nice player in the nba, but that patellar tendon rupture simply derailed his career. It was that simple. When he came back he was still a somewhat efficient 3rd string point guard, but didn't have Delly, Juwan Howard level playoff experience to where he could offer value just by being in the locker room. But people chose the racial narrative instead. Pre-injury he was an 8th man at worst on pretty much every nba team.

As for Canaan, imo he's not much of a defender, so simply being a shooter in the nba with no defensive value and limited size is definitely an issue. He's like an undersized duncan robinson with worse shooting (35% as opposed to robinsons 40%). That profile usually doesnt last in the nba, but Canaan still managed to stick around quite a bit.

And nunn is like a poor mans rozier, pretty much worse at everything and significantly less athletic.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#26 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:21 am

lambchop wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

Lin was actually a nice player in the nba, but that patellar tendon rupture simply derailed his career. It was that simple. When he came back he was still a somewhat efficient 3rd string point guard, but didn't have Delly, Juwan Howard level playoff experience to where he could offer value just by being in the locker room. But people chose the racial narrative instead. Pre-injury he was an 8th man at worst on pretty much every nba team.

As for Canaan, imo he's not much of a defender, so simply being a shooter in the nba with no defensive value and limited size is definitely an issue. He's like an undersized duncan robinson with worse shooting (35% as opposed to robinsons 40%). That profile usually doesnt last in the nba, but Canaan still managed to stick around quite a bit.

And nunn is like a poor mans rozier, pretty much worse at everything and significantly less athletic.

Lin was a good NBA player, I am not saying he wasn't, but after those injuries he wasn't good anymore so he was just one of many others who washed out. That's what I am saying, there are many Jeremy Lins every year, but there will always be clowns who will see conspiracies. Would it have been shocking if Lin stayed longer, no, would it be shocking if Nunn was on NBA team right now, also no, but there were nothing shocking they weren't anymore, as other guy said, dime a dozen, these players just come and go. Lin had many chances and good NBA career overall
maverick_41
Junior
And1: 423

Post#27 » by maverick_41 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:54 am

I remember in his rookie season before he catches covid he shined brighter than his teammate Herro
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,425

Post#28 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 am

Why is he listed around 6'5 though? IIRC the Heat updated his height after everyone was supposed to have their height without shoes to 6'2. Did he suddenly grow around 2 inches (+1 inch with shoes as the Americans do in Europe) in his mid twenties?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:18 am

maverick_41 wrote:I remember in his rookie season before he catches covid he shined brighter than his teammate Herro

Yeap, he had a moment.

Rambling at this point, but, Speaking about random moments like that, I always remember Darren Collisions rookie year on New Orleans Hornets. Darren was decent for years, but man his rookie year was strange and gooD reminder how we tend to overrate new toys sometimes. Collision starts hot, I mean not even that hot, he was Darren Collison but a rookie, everyone on the internet, on that new thing called podcast, I mean literally everyone were like - oh man, you need to trade Chris Paul now, build around Collison, CP3 leaving anyway ec etc. And then after his rookie year NO Hornets do trade Collison first I believe, and everyone on the internet - not sure they traded the right one, should have traded CP3 instead...
Does anyone remember that one? I know I went off topic, but funny how these moments happen sometimes. At the end of the day, anyone who reaches NBA level, can ball to a degree and have a moment when lucky.

And Nunn is definitely not 6'5, he is kind off small even for a point guard.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 3,024

Post#30 » by SweetTouch » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am

dockingsched wrote:He goes by the name Gabe Vincent nowadays.

This post deserves more likes
Stop being so disrespectful.
mosby
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#31 » by mosby » Wed May 8, 2024 10:21 am

I really don't know what is Nunn doing in Europe....

He deserves a solid NBA contract
f*****g dreammachine
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#32 » by lambchop » Wed May 8, 2024 10:34 am

mosby wrote:I really don't know what is Nunn doing in Europe....

He had a bone bruise in his ankle that took away all of his bounce and quickness. He has rounded back into form this season and is getting his occasional dunks and blocks again, while also looking solid in the midrange and from deep. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the league next season.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 8, 2024 10:39 am

Absolutely phenomenal game yesterday, tho he is small, lacks strength and explosiveness, and as we have seen, excells as number one option. Some guys can play 5 minute stretches and be great, some can't do that as well. Even beggining of the year, Nunn was adapting and learning, but we have seen he struggles when is limited in scheme and in minutes, he needs freedom. Ataman trully is a master of unlocking the confidence and ability of these type players, he could be his next Larkin.

Going back to that role thing and finding rythm, we have seen with his teamate Grigonis. Grigonis is not a creator for them in any way, but he usually plays for long stretches. Yesterday, in elimination game he only got spot minutes and he struggled, prime example of player who needs time and knowledge he will stay on the court, to get his heater going, and he just couldn't do it in different way.

Nunn has great handle and phenomenal shot making ability off the dribble, and that was enough to be number one option in these Series, but in the NBA, nearly all guards have that, and most of them will also have size and athletic advantages over Nunn. So Nunn would be casted in a different role, and he is lead man, not a character actor.

I have mentioned it in Sabonis vs Jokic thread, but Kalaitzakis bamboozelled me a bit. Great example of a guy who can be subbed and will play his game no matter it is 10 minute or 1 minute stretch. I am not even sure if Kalaitzakis scored a single point yesterday, where Nunn had 6 threes, but from NBA perspective, Kalaizakis intrigued me, maybe the most.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,479

Post#34 » by Foye » Wed May 8, 2024 10:52 am

Worse locations to play in.
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#35 » by har13 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:33 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Absolutely phenomenal game yesterday, tho he is small, lacks strength and explosiveness, and as we have seen, excells as number one option. Some guys can play 5 minute stretches and be great, some can't do that as well. Even beggining of the year, Nunn was adapting and learning, but we have seen he struggles when is limited in scheme and in minutes, he needs freedom. Ataman trully is a master of unlocking the confidence and ability of these type players, he could be his next Larkin.

Going back to that role thing and finding rythm, we have seen with his teamate Grigonis. Grigonis is not a creator for them in any way, but he usually plays for long stretches. Yesterday, in elimination game he only got spot minutes and he struggled, prime example of player who needs time and knowledge he will stay on the court, to get his heater going, and he just couldn't do it in different way.

Nunn has great handle and phenomenal shot making ability off the dribble, and that was enough to be number one option in these Series, but in the NBA, nearly all guards have that, and most of them will also have size and athletic advantages over Nunn. So Nunn would be casted in a different role, and he is lead man, not a character actor.

I have mentioned it in Sabonis vs Jokic thread, but Kalaitzakis bamboozelled me a bit. Great example of a guy who can be subbed and will play his game no matter it is 10 minute or 1 minute stretch. I am not even sure if Kalaitzakis scored a single point yesterday, where Nunn had 6 threes, but from NBA perspective, Kalaizakis intrigued me, maybe the most.

Good enough or not for the Nba he wil be playing in Euroleague for 2 more years ...

The Greens are back my friend.. :D

Next one Luka... :lol: :lol:
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,577

Post#36 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:36 pm

Dead.....

Honestly he was a chucker in college and his first few years then he got multiple injuries so no surprised he's out...
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#37 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 8, 2024 12:41 pm

har13 wrote:
Good enough or not for the Nba he wil be playing in Euroleague for 2 more years ...

That was the best atmosphere yet this season, going back to NBA stream was such a massive downgrade. I say this as non joke, but out of 18 k people at OAKA yesterday, the least physically exhausted ones had to be the players.
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#38 » by har13 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:52 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
har13 wrote:

That was the best atmosphere yet this season, going back to NBA stream was such a massive downgrade. I say this as non joke, but out of 18 k people at OAKA yesterday, the least physically exhausted ones had to be the players.

After game 4 82k people were waiting for a ticket ... :lol:
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#39 » by SA37 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:05 pm

jfs1000d wrote:I mean, out of the league. He was a decent rotation role player, but dime a dozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is somewhat accurate.

Nunn showed a lot of promise in Miami and then he kind of tailed off. He got a great offer from the Lakers that Miami wouldn't and couldn't match. Riley has a pretty long history of letting role players walk. Duncan Robinson is one of the few exceptions to that.

That said, the talent level in the NBA is absolutely insane. Nunn can put the ball in the bucket, but that's about where his NBA skills end. The thing is, you have guys like Kevin Porter Jr or Michael Beasley who are even better scorers and are out of the league. Nunn doesn't defend, shoot, or run a team at a level that would let him stay on a roster getting consistent minutes.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#40 » by KGtabake » Wed May 8, 2024 1:39 pm

The best American scorer playing in Europe today along with Mike James.
Just today morning signed a new 2 year contract with Panathinaikos (with an NBA release clause).
The way he settled so quickly to euro basketball is phenomenal. I don't think I've seen many Americans being able to adjust so quickly.
He's been a lethal scorer and an integral part of Panathinaikos great return to the upper achelon of european teams.
We're extremely happy he's here but at the same time we know that his actual place is in the NBA.
He's healthy but above anything he's happy to ball.
Very motivated and grateful that his choice back in October turns out to be the greatest he ever made(his comments).

Nunn better.
If you leave at summer or after 2 years we only wish you the best. Because you deserve it. The doors will always be open for you.
If you stay you'll be a part of our new dynasty. It's coming.

Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.

Return to The General Board