Is Nick Nurse Overrated?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,477

Re: Is Nick Nurse Overrated? 

Post#61 » by BigShot Bojan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:26 am

Good coach but not nearly good enough for the sound bites and how vocal he is…

Work so quiet they think youre slipping
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,969

Post#62 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 am

cgf wrote:He’s just up against a better team with a better coach.

Thibs is missing a 25 ppg / 10 rpg / 5 apg all-star, while Nurse has his full squad including the reigning MVP and a rising all-star.

I have never in my life seen a coach that gets more excuses made for underperforming than Nick Nurse. Literally Teflon.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,738

Post#63 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:

Thibs is missing a 25 ppg / 10 rpg / 5 app all-star, while Nurse has his full squad including the reigning MVP and a rising all-star.

I have never in my life seen a coach that gets more excuses made for underperforming than Nick Nurse. Literally Teflon.

You think he's underperforming with Philly?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#64 » by M2J » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

Thibs is missing a 25 ppg / 10 rpg / 5 app all-star, while Nurse has his full squad including the reigning MVP and a rising all-star.

Totally overrated. He deserved to get fired from Toronto
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#65 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:04 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

If he gets bounced in round 1, then he’s done worse than both Doc Rivers and Brett Brown, who were eviscerated in Philly. If that happens…. you tell me.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,738

Post#66 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:14 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

If he gets bounced in round 1, then he’s done worse than both Doc Rivers and Brett Brown, who were eviscerated in Philly. If that happens…. you tell me.

Have you watched the series at all or no? I mean, this roster is objectively worse than what Doc coached or when Brett Brown had Jimmy Butler. I mean Morey traded away players in hopes of revamping the roster in the offseason.

Do you think a lot of other coaches would be winning this series with a gimpy Embiid?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,829

Post#67 » by cgf » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:16 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:

*All-NBA, not just Allstar.

We’re also missing our starting center and Bogdanovic, but we’re still the better team. Morey punted on this season for cap space.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#68 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Have you watched the series at all or no? I mean, this roster is objectively worse than what Doc coached or when Brett Brown had Jimmy Butler. I mean Morey traded away players in hopes of revamping the roster in the offseason.

Do you think a lot of other coaches would be winning this series with a gimpy Embiid?

People were calling Nurse a clear top 2 or 3 coach in the league. It’s literally never his fault for anything bad, but he gets all the praise for anything good. It’s wild. Never seen an NBA coach so staunchly defended by so many supporters, without any real reason, as Nurse.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,730

Post#69 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:29 am

Yes of course he's overrated. The NBA is a players' league. Nurse's team wins when Embiid is healthy and does not win when Embiid is not. What Nick Nurse does or does not do is largely immaterial.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,813

Post#70 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:31 am

honestly, this Knicks team reminds me a lot of the Lawry, Fred Van Vleet, OG raptor teams while Nurse was coaching... say whatever you want, Nick Nurse is a great coach... might not be as great as some people think about ...but he is a great coach
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#71 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:honestly, this Knicks team reminds me a lot of the Lawry, Fred Van Vleet, OG raptor teams while Nurse was coaching... say whatever you want, Nick Nurse is a great coach... might not be as great as some people think about ...but he is a great coach

How great is Nurse, though? I keep hearing that Nurse is irrefutably top 2, only behind Spo. Nurse's main claim to fame is coaching Kawhi, Lowry and inheriting an all-time great defensive team, with Lebron out of the east, and KD & Klay getting injured.

There's no real evidence that Nurse is a great coach. Bur rather it's now looking like there's more evidence that he was gifted with great players (and injury luck, + Kawhi's 4 bounce luck) to start his coaching career.

For example - rank these NBA championship-winning head coaches:

Tier 1)
Spo
Pop
Kerr

Tier 2)
Carlisle
Bud

Tier 3)
Vogel
Rivers

Tier 4)
Nurse
Ty Lue
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,453

Post#72 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:37 pm

hes getting outcoached by thibs, if that means anything.

we made tremendous adjustments to our offense and defense in this series. i dont rly see that for the sixers.

and i know i might get flag for this again, but the raptors chip is most likely one of the luckiest chips in history.
That bounce from kawhi in game 7 of the ECF and injured players on the GSW team, made it possible. Yes the team played great but what if kawhi doesnt get that bounce, do we talk about nurse like we do now?

i havent really watched any of the nurse coached teams a lot. so i cannot judge based on his x and o's and stuff. im just making an observation on how he got his reputation
im bout dat action boss
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,088

Post#73 » by DaGawd » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:honestly, this Knicks team reminds me a lot of the Lawry, Fred Van Vleet, OG raptor teams while Nurse was coaching... say whatever you want, Nick Nurse is a great coach... might not be as great as some people think about ...but he is a great coach

How great is Nurse, though? I keep hearing that Nurse is irrefutably top 2, only behind Spo. Nurse's main claim to fame is coaching Kawhi, Lowry and inheriting an all-time great defensive team, with Lebron out of the east, and KD & Klay getting injured.

There's no real evidence that Nurse is a great coach. Bur rather it's now looking like there's more evidence that he was gifted with great players (and injury luck, + Kawhi's 4 bounce luck) to start his coaching career.

Tier 1)
Spo
Pop
Kerr

Tier 2)
Carlisle
Bud

Tier 3)
Vogel
Rivers

Tier 4)
Nurse
Ty Lue

thibs is in tier 2 at worst
BaF
Washington Wizards
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,618

Post#74 » by shi-woo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 pm

I mean yes and no. I think he's over rated in that I don't think he's the type of coach you want on a rebuilding team, or a team like the Bulls that need the coach to be creative and make things fit even when they don't. He's not Brad Stevens in that regard. Or Spo and Malone if you want guys still coaching

But I think if you get him a good roster, with high level of talent, and the guys he needs to play his game than he's an awesome coach. So he's in the same tier as guys like Bud and Thibs

Meaning he's a coach that can, and has, the ability to win a ring. He would have been PERFECT in MIL, and you would have seen his impact way more than this years mess of a 76er teams.

Next year he has a shot to show how good he really is if Joel can stay healthy, because he's going to be able to mold that roster into whatever he wants given the entire 76er roster is heading to Free Agency

He reminds me of Mike D a lot in his ability to implement a system around his stars, and then get his role players to fit in around that. He couldn't make it work in TOR after Kawhi left with that hodgepodge roster, and he couldn't do it this year with the Island of Miisfit Toys. Give this man a decent roster please and he'll give you 55 wins
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,406

Post#75 » by brutalitops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm

He's fine.

Just a car wreck of a bench. Somehow the buddy Hield trade has hurt both Indiana and Philly. Nurse has done great things to open up the game for Maxey to become a legitimate star,

Issues include Losing Melton hurt a lot more for bench production more then people realize

Harris literally ass and while the Bones of Batum isn't much better, Batum can kinda defend still and at least moves the ball around and is a bit of a connector.

Embiid has literally can't shut his left eye. What else do you want Nurse to do? He can't wave his wand and Make Harris score more then 10PPG.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,903

Post#76 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
KrazyP wrote:Nurse is a fantastic coach for a contending team with players that are already developed and in their prime.

He's a poor coach if you're trying to rebuild or re-tool around younger players that need development time.

Guys like Spo and Pop are good in basically all situations.

The Raptors became relevant when Nick Nurse developed the most potent bench with Paskal siakam and FVV, the rest is history

lol. This is compete rubbish. You have absolutely no idea how much credit to attribute to Nurse vs everybody else. Like Dwane Casey who gave those guys minutes and other assistant coaches? What about the players themselves and their off-season trainers? Even Casey gave Siakam all the credit for development…. and he had a front row seat.

In this instance we do actually know where the credit is due. Nick Nurse was assigned to working in the offseason to create a bench lineup based around the teams young guys (Siakam, FVV, Poeltl, and Delon Wright). Like you can credit Casey for assigning Nurse to that task, but the principles on offense and defense were installed by Nurse. That bench unit literally outplayed the starting lineup in 2018. It seems even more obvious to credit Nurse because in 2019, the "bench mob" strategic principles got moved to the starting lineup with Nurse taking over the head coaching position. Siakam became a starter, and Lowry completely changed from his pick & roll attack to his quick passing and movement based game.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#77 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm

Sixers and Joel Embiid, that's a death sentence for any coach really.

Also, Kelly Oubre is our 3rd best player, you've heard this right, an outcast we got for the minimum, what do you expect?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#78 » by slick_watts » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:58 pm

i think he's great.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#79 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
The Raptors became relevant when Nick Nurse developed the most potent bench with Paskal siakam and FVV, the rest is history

lol. This is compete rubbish. You have absolutely no idea how much credit to attribute to Nurse vs everybody else. Like Dwane Casey who gave those guys minutes and other assistant coaches? What about the players themselves and their off-season trainers? Even Casey gave Siakam all the credit for development…. and he had a front row seat.

In this instance we do actually know where the credit is due. Nick Nurse was assigned to working in the offseason to create a bench lineup based around the teams young guys (Siakam, FVV, Poeltl, and Delon Wright). Like you can credit Casey for assigning Nurse to that task, but the principles on offense and defense were installed by Nurse. That bench unit literally outplayed the starting lineup in 2018. It seems even more obvious to credit Nurse because in 2019, the "bench mob" strategic principles got moved to the starting lineup with Nurse taking over the head coaching position. Siakam became a starter, and Lowry completely changed from his pick & roll attack to his quick passing and movement based game.

If Nurse is so great at developing bench units, then why does he only trust like 6, maybe 7 players? That's always been his M.O. He runs veterans and a small handful of guys he trusts, into the ground. Nurse sucks at developing a deep bench. That's undeniable.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#80 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

Tier 1)
Spo
Pop
Kerr

Tier 2)
Carlisle
Bud

Tier 3)
Vogel
Rivers

Tier 4)
Nurse
Ty Lue

thibs is in tier 2 at worst

Absolutely. I only listed the most recent championship winning coaches. People always rank Nurse in the Pop/Spo tier, for some weird reason. They say that Nurse is a "great coach", like it should just be taken as gospel and not even questioned.

There's no real evidence to back up the statement that Nurse is a great coach, yet alone a good one. Thibs is running circles around him. Doc Rivers knocked Nurse out of the playoffs 2 seasons ago. Brad Stevens did the same in the bubble... who is another coach that's better than Nurse.

Return to The General Board