Is Nick Nurse Overrated?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,461

Re: Is Nick Nurse Overrated? 

Post#21 » by KrazyP » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:51 pm

Nurse is a fantastic coach for a contending team with players that are already developed and in their prime.

He's a poor coach if you're trying to rebuild or re-tool around younger players that need development time.

Guys like Spo and Pop are good in basically all situations.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,553

Post#22 » by CoP » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 pm

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,771

Post#23 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:57 pm

ratul wrote:Doc rivers burner account

No doubt
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,171

Post#24 » by druggas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:59 pm

This OP is overrated:
Signed, everyone.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,797

Post#25 » by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:01 pm

Philly has the 3rd best scoring differential in the league.

/thread
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,447

Post#26 » by og15 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:10 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Yes, when you remove the MVP the team is built around they don't play as well. No coach can make up for losing an MVP.

Doc Rivers went 7-3 without his MVP AND Harden (all-star). Why can't Nurse at least have a .500 record?

What's the sample for the games last season? This stuff isn't all made equal, if the games last season were primarily against weaker opponents and more home games, then, okay, makes more sense.

We've seen that so far this season without Embiid they have played 8 road games and 7 games against teams .500 or over. That's not even the type of sample that teams play over the regular season.

So what was the sample of last seasons games without those two guys in terms of opponent quality and road games?
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#27 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:12 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:What? They are crushing people even after trading away Harden. Without Embiid you wouldn't expect that team to be great. The only semi star you have is Maxey and then what, Tobias Harris? Even with Embiid missing 10 games, they have the 3rd best pt differential in the league.

Just looking at the record from last year. When Embiid and Harden were out of the lineup, a Maxey led team went 7-3, vs. 3-7 this year under Nurse.

How can Doc Rivers have a better record coaching last season without his MVP AND an all-star calibre player, than Nurse has this year, only losing Embiid.

It does kind of makes sense that a Doc would be more valuable than a Nurse.

Games missed last year opponents:

Magic 2x , Wizards 2x, Nets 2x, Raptors, Knicks, Hornets, Pacers, Bulls, Pistons, Kings, Heat, Denver, Hawks

There’s your flippn answer.

What 3 were above .500 teams?

Doc is one of the worst coaches I’ve had to witness.

Heck Brown made better adjustments in the Playoffs most notably on Kawhi on the infamous Raptors series. Moving Ben off ball onto Leonard etc. After Game 1. Fun fact our starters were in the positive they just had fukn Serge Ibaka to tag team with Gasol.

Doc Game 1 vs the Hawks Trae cooked Green for 7 mins straight, puts him on the bench then as soon as he came back on put him on again then cooked him… again.

He also straight lost us another game later on when he put a midget on a really tall Ranga and he want as hot as his hair colour.

Did he miss the memo it was the playoffs? F that he was a coach that straight lost games from his dumb decisions.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#28 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:12 pm

It's funny, people to defend Nurse will say that the team outside Embiid is not that good, but then when discussing Embiid they will say his team is stacked to blame him for his failures lol
Schedule without Embiid has been tough, and it's NN's 1st year here, not even half a season, he needs some time.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#29 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:15 pm

Besides, Sixers issues have never been in Regular Season, if he can get a team lead by Embiid past the 2nd round it will be one of the best achievements in NBA history.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#30 » by Meeksology » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:37 pm

Serge28 wrote:I still badly wish we hired Nurse instead of Griffin.

I still badly wish we kept him instead of letting him go.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,829

Post#31 » by cgf » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:18 pm

Depends on how big of an impact you think NBA coaches make. If you think that outside of the really rare exceptions towards either end, that most NBA coaches are similarly competent and just work better with certain personalities / playing style than others, then nah. But if you think most NBA coaches have the kind of impact on their teams that top level soccer coaches do, then yes.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,193

Post#32 » by Reeko » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm

He's a really good coach, specifically with veteran and talent laden rosters. He is not however, in the same tier as Spo who I believe is head and shoulders above the rest. The jury is still out but I believe that Will Hardy of the Jazz may also be better, but that remains to be seen. But he is right there with the Udoka's, Budenholzer's of the NBA world.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,526

Post#33 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:40 am

I think he's overrated, but for reasons that have nothing to do with the Sixers record without Embiid.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#34 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:48 am

jbk1234 wrote:I think he's overrated, but for reasons that have nothing to do with the Sixers record without Embiid.
He's better than the last 3 HC for the Sixers and has a championship with the Raps to prove it.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,035

Post#35 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:16 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:It's funny, people to defend Nurse will say that the team outside Embiid is not that good, but then when discussing Embiid they will say his team is stacked to blame him for his failures lol
Schedule without Embiid has been tough, and it's NN's 1st year here, not even half a season, he needs some time.

Guy went from championship in his first deal ever in the NBA as a coach when nobody else would have given it to him, to bad records, losing the room and showing no loyatly and virtually quitting publicly. I think you're better to catch him early.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,968

Post#36 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:16 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think he's overrated, but for reasons that have nothing to do with the Sixers record without Embiid.
He's better than the last 3 HC for the Sixers and has a championship with the Raps to prove it.

How many playoff series did Nurse win after Kawhi left Toronto?

Answer: Grand total of 1 vs a seriously depleted Nets team in the bubble. Heck, Nurse missed the playoffs altogether, 2 out of 4 years.

You give Nurse MVP caliber players and he can win games. Stop the press. Frank Vogel, Mike Malone, Doc Rivers, Ty Lue, Bud, Carlisle and Kerr have all done the same. Nurse is nothing special.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 642

Post#37 » by Chokic » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:24 am

NO no he is not.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#38 » by elchengue20 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:12 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:Nick Nurse is 3-7 without Joel Embiid this year. Honestly, I was expecting a lot more from a coach a lot of people hail as a "genius". Last year, I believe Doc Rivers had a winning record without Embiid and Harden... something like 8-2 or 7-3, IIRC.

Kind of like when Spo is routinely handed a roster of scrubs, undrafted, re-treads and malcontents that would make a G-League coach blush, but somehow manages to keep the Heat competitive and steal a few games. I thought Nurse was in the same coaching tier as Spo, but I guess not.

Do you even watch the games?

Sixers lost an All-Star calibeer player in Harden and added a minimum contract player in Kelly Oubre, still they are playing waaay better as a team this year. It's been day and night compared to Doc old ISO game.

It's no coincidence Embiid is having the best season of his life and also averaging a carreer high 6 APG with Nurse. Sixers are top 5 in offense and defense, 3rd in net rating.

Team is only lacking a legit 2nd/3rd guy to be a very serious championship contender. Tobias isn't that guy.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,055

Post#39 » by Drakeem » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:25 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

How many playoff series did Nurse win after Kawhi left Toronto?

Answer: Grand total of 1 vs a seriously depleted Nets team in the bubble. Heck, Nurse missed the playoffs altogether, 2 out of 4 years.

You give Nurse MVP caliber players and he can win games. Stop the press. Frank Vogel, Mike Malone, Doc Rivers, Ty Lue, Bud, Carlisle and Kerr have all done the same. Nurse is nothing special.
People really need to stop talking about things that they don't see or know themselves. I can tell you don't watch the Raptors, which is fine, but don't speak on them like you do.

Nurse has overachieved almost ever season in Toronto with the roster constructions he's had. Lost Kawhi and he was a game away from the ECF even with Siakam looking like the monstars took his abilities. Got the Raptors to play .500 ball last year while Darko had a very similar team this year and has had the team fall off the rails.

Nurse has a Philly team that lost Harden with no real replacement for his talent level and has the team playing better than the year before.

But sure, he's a bad coach. :crazy:
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,034

Post#40 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:43 am

of course. All NBA coaches are vastly overrated. You either have the players or you don't. There's numerous examples of supposedly great coaches who won while having great players suddenly sucked once they didn't or vice versa, a supposedly crappy retread sucks when he had bad players then wins COTY with a better team.

Return to The General Board