Not sure anyone can beat Denver

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Denver back to back?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 204

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,494

Not sure anyone can beat Denver 

Post#1 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:15 am

When Denver cranks it up they just tend to leave other teams in the dust. We saw it against the Warriors recently and it happened again tonight vs the Lakers.

I'm not sure Boston matches up well with Denver.

I thought Denver losing quality depth (Brown) as well as other teams improving may squash a Nuggets repeat, but Denver is looking better all the time.

They also have championship swag. Belief.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,558

Re: Not sure anyone can beat Denver 

Post#2 » by BigGargamel » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:18 am

The improvement of Watson and a whole year of Jackson has mostly canceled out the loss of Brown.

The way this season has progressed is basically a carbon copy of how last season went as far as Denver. Other teams have just been a bit better.

I feel pretty confident that Denver is still the best team in the West. People quickly forgot how truly fantastic they were during their playoff run. They were hardly tested. This is the same group with the same coaching. Other teams may have improved but Denver wasn't suddenly going to get worse.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,494

Post#3 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:21 am

BigGargamel wrote:The improvement of Watson and a whole year of Jackson has mostly canceled out the loss of Brown.

The way this season has progressed is basically a carbon copy of how last season went as far as Denver. Other teams have just been a bit better.

I feel pretty confident that Denver is still the best team in the West. People quickly forgot how truly fantastic they were during their playoff run. They were hardly tested. This is the same group with the same coaching.

Yes. And things are improving. Porter is hitting a whole new level. I also think Malone is coaching better.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,558

Post#4 » by BigGargamel » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:27 am

HotRocks34 wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:The improvement of Watson and a whole year of Jackson has mostly canceled out the loss of Brown.

I feel pretty confident that Denver is still the best team in the West. People quickly forgot how truly fantastic they were during their playoff run. They were hardly tested. This is the same group with the same coaching.

Yes. And things are improving. Porter is hitting a whole new level. I also think Malone is coaching better.

MPJ will never live up to his contract and he will always have tunnel vision on offense, but the effort he puts into defense and rebounding compared to the past has been night and day. And he's only missed 1 or 2 games.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,105

Post#5 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:32 am

BigGargamel wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

MPJ will never live up to his contract and he will always have tunnel vision on offense, but the effort he puts into defense and rebounding compared to the past has been night and day. And he's only missed 1 or 2 games.

But unfortunately his athleticism he won’t get back after three back surgeries. You see him he is pretty stiff out there. It is a shame. The dude has to wear a foot brace now because of drop foot. What could have been. At the time of that max contract he was on his way to be an offensive force then he injuries his back again. Too bad
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#6 » by zero rings » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:32 am

Boston can definitely beat them. And any of Minn, OKC, or LAC if they have homecourt advantage.

Nuggets have a decent chance at repeating, but it's going to be a tougher road this time around. The West is stacked this year.
Goomba3666
Veteran
And1: 3,315

Post#7 » by Goomba3666 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:35 am

I think Twolves got a chance for sure. Also think Fox would make life miserable for Murray.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,595

Post#8 » by sol537 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:38 am

Denver vs Boston should be epic if both teams stay relatively healthy and make it… wow
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#9 » by DCasey91 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:43 am

I do think Clippers is the best threat in West but their biggest weakness is their size inside and Hardenism late in games.

OKC - Too Young
Wolves - Too Dumb
GSW, Lakers - Too Old
Suns - One way

Unless it’s comes from the East but the Bucks have a Doc lol

I won’t be surprised if MPJ has some big shooting games in the playoffs
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#10 » by ChipotleWest » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:47 am

It'll be Boston/Denver, and Denver will win.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,967

Post#11 » by Karate Diop » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:57 am

zero rings wrote:Boston can definitely beat them. And any of Minn, OKC, or LAC if they have homecourt advantage.

Nuggets have a decent chance at repeating, but it's going to be a tougher road this time around. The West is stacked this year.

Eh... I wouldn't give Boston much of a chance. When things get more physical in the playoffs it's unlikely they rise to the occasion. They're the perfect regular season team, but they want absolutely nothing to do with Denver.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,560

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:57 am

In a series it's very tough.

I think any team could but it's unlikely.

Health is the only concern for me
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,012

Post#13 » by Joshyjess » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:59 am

Nah, if Boston plays well, not only will they win, but they can easily sweep Denver. Boston's top 6 are the best in the league (and one of the best to 6 in many, many years), and when they are on, nobody has a chance. This year is Boston's year, and the only team that can beat them are themselves. Denver is really good, but just not good enough.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,304

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:03 am

HotRocks34 wrote:

i'm not a believer in porter but he only has to show up once or twice in a series
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#15 » by zero rings » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:03 am

Karate Diop wrote:
zero rings wrote:Boston can definitely beat them. And any of Minn, OKC, or LAC if they have homecourt advantage.

Eh... I wouldn't give Boston much of a chance. When things get more physical in the playoffs it's unlikely they rose to the occasion. They're the perfect regular season team, but they want absolutely nothing to do with Denver.

They're 47-12 with a +10.8 point differential. I'd say they have more than a good chance.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,756

Post#16 » by Forbes » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:13 am

Don’t think anyone can beat them either without being hot.

My problem with Boston is Tatum is always good for 2-3 lower scoring games in these important series AND his PPG drop during the playoffs the last 2 years. They need 30 out of him Every game to win. Last year against the Heat he had 3 games way lower than his avg. Previous year in the finals against the warrior 2 low scoring games. Cant do that against the Nuggets.
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,934

Post#17 » by ryan in Maine » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:17 am

Joshyjess wrote:Nah, if Boston plays well, not only will they win, but they can easily sweep Denver. Boston's top 6 are the best in the league (and one of the best to 6 in many, many years), and when they are on, nobody has a chance. This year is Boston's year, and the only team that can beat them are themselves. Denver is really good, but just not good enough.

No way do we sweep Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray lol c'mon.
And1: 27,658

Post#18 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:22 am

zero rings wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

Eh... I wouldn't give Boston much of a chance. When things get more physical in the playoffs it's unlikely they rose to the occasion. They're the perfect regular season team, but they want absolutely nothing to do with Denver.

They're 47-12 with a +10.8 point differential. I'd say they have more than a good chance.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,810

Post#19 » by iLLmatic860 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:26 am

Nuggets will have the best player on the floor in any series that they play so I would not be surprised at all if they went back to back
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 22,100

Post#20 » by AussieCeltic » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:33 am

Homer talk here but I think Boston has a chance.

Slowing Jokic is damn near impossible, but Celtics have Horford/Tillman, who are strong, low centre of gravity guys who can allow Celtics to play him without doubling.

We’ve also got the wing defenders for Murray/MPJ and 5 guys who can attack them at all times.

I hope both teams remain healthy and we get to see the matchup as I think it will go the distance. Time will tell.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.

Return to The General Board