2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
7%
Mavericks 4-2
43%
Mavericks 4-3
15%
Clippers SWEEP!
5%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 352

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,835

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#3601 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
Clippers were stupid, they should have (fake) shut him down after the ASG for an additional 3-4 weeks. Screw the seeding and make sure his knees are getting a huge rest a few weeks before the playoffs. Then let him play himself back into shape and rhythm in the last 13-14 season games.

They should do this for sure next year...

But if he wasn't injured at the time, why would they just shut him down for no reason? He played a lot of games and had a great year. The one thing in retrospect they could have done was more 'load management' over the course of the year (even though that drew plenty of criticism in years past.)

Because you will never get 90+ games out of Kawhi in a single season. So you shut him down to reduce the total number of games before the playoffs are even started. And hopefully with a long break his knees can recover from the first 40-50 games

Understood- that's why I was thinking more rest games over the course of the year. This year he was even playing B2B's.

I guess just arbitrarily shutting him down would be an option to to really rest up, but I think rest games during the year would be less disruptive.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,786

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#3602 » by Swish1906 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:33 pm

Well that is something he has to plan with his doctors, what they think is better to have his knees ready for april. A long rest or multiple short ones
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#3603 » by CS707 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:48 pm

I guarantee the Clippers were following medical advice, likely conservatively, with regard to Kawhi's health over the course of the season.

I think it's mental as much as physical for Kawhi.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,436

Post#3604 » by dygaction » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:08 pm

Would be interesting to record the poll results for now and open a new poll to see whether the opinions are shifted.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,436

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#3605 » by dygaction » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:Sucks we may not ever see this clippers squad with a healthy Kawhi in the post season.

Notwithstanding the fact that Kawhi is a far better player when he's healthy, I am seriously wondering which $150 million spent over the next three seasons will turn out to be the most wasteful --- Kawhi's $150 mill or Bradley Beal's $150 mill.

Both could be better than Lavine's 3 year $150 mill, or LaMelo Ball's new 5 year $204 mill who has played 58 games over the last two years.
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 594

Post#3606 » by BmanInBigD » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:54 pm

Handlez wrote:Luka taking a reputation hit big time if he doesn't return to form and win this series.

He's playing hurt, but no one cares if you're not hurt enough to not play.

Never thought I'd see him shoot like this.

The only people from whom Luka takes a reputation hit are the ones looking for a reason to hit his reputation. He hasn't shot well, for sure, but he's not the reason the lower-seeded Mavs are TIED with the Clips. He's been an absolute killer in the post-season thus far in his career and one bad series, on a gimp leg, against a better team, is not gonna tarnish his rep to anyone except the simple-minded "but ringz!" crowd.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,360

Post#3607 » by Scoundreldays » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:00 pm

It wouldn't matter if Kawhi was rested more this year. Clippers tried that last year with no b2b's + load managing and he still got hurt 1 game into the post season. It's just who he is now
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,628

Post#3608 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:38 pm

CoP wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
So fun fact. Dallas loss the 3 minutes Luka didn't play 15-0.

Luka isn't shooting great, but he's holding up defensively and he's still overall helping the offense.

Too often our analysis starts and stops with shooting percentages. We should aim higher.

Even more fun fact, Luka's on/off in playoffs is unbelievable + 63. Apparently he's far the most impactful player in playoffs. :D Shai is - 3, Jokic + 4 and Kyrie, far the best Mavs player, + 11. Luka's career on/off is now +17. LeBron + 11 and Curry + 10.

Saying all that, I hope Luka has first really good game on Wednesday.

I said this in another thread, but at least part of the reason why Luka's on/off in the playoffs is so high is because he often gets taken out of the game for defensive possessions at the end of close games. So for example, he might be on the court for two offensive possessions where Dallas scores on each possession. Then he gets subbed off for the defensive possession, say to bring on a big for rebounding if they're fouling the other team for FTs. So Dallas might score 4 points on two offensive possessions while Doncic is on the floor, and give up 4 points on two defensive possessions while he's off. So he gets a +8 on/off while the team has a +/- of 0.

He still has an incredible individual playoff performance resume, though. That's for sure.

Mavs offensive rtg with Luka on court is 113 and 68 when he's off court. Mavs offense is nonexistent without him.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,565

Post#3609 » by zshawn10 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=nTTEj4pYTl_o_im2gtZyQg
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#3610 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:59 pm

Harden most points he's ever scored in a single quarter in the paint. Entire career.

Great job Kidd, you were the hero for the Clippers. Nothing could have stopped Dallas except your decision making.

And I'm not trying to overlook Luka, but I'm just a Mavs fan first and it should be 3-1 right now. I'm concerned about Luka, sure.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,549

Post#3611 » by CoP » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:07 am

Bob8 wrote:
CoP wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Even more fun fact, Luka's on/off in playoffs is unbelievable + 63. Apparently he's far the most impactful player in playoffs. :D Shai is - 3, Jokic + 4 and Kyrie, far the best Mavs player, + 11. Luka's career on/off is now +17. LeBron + 11 and Curry + 10.

Saying all that, I hope Luka has first really good game on Wednesday.

I said this in another thread, but at least part of the reason why Luka's on/off in the playoffs is so high is because he often gets taken out of the game for defensive possessions at the end of close games. So for example, he might be on the court for two offensive possessions where Dallas scores on each possession. Then he gets subbed off for the defensive possession, say to bring on a big for rebounding if they're fouling the other team for FTs. So Dallas might score 4 points on two offensive possessions while Doncic is on the floor, and give up 4 points on two defensive possessions while he's off. So he gets a +8 on/off while the team has a +/- of 0.

He still has an incredible individual playoff performance resume, though. That's for sure.

Mavs offensive rtg with Luka on court is 113 and 68 when he's off court. Mavs offense is nonexistent without him.

More specifically, the Mavs offense is nonexistent without Luka and Irving on the court.

Not sure where you got your on/off numbers. BBREF shows 115.4 on court and 83.3 off court for Luka. Irving's is similar: 116.5 and 89.7.

Either way, these numbers kind of prove my point, which is that looking at on/off numbers in small sample sizes is not a good idea.

I'm not saying Luka isn't amazing on offense - even in a series when he's not shooting well, the attention he draws boosts an offense. No doubt about it. I'm just saying his on/off numbers in small sample sizes absolutely can get boosted by him getting subbed off for defensive possessions late in close games.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3612 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 am

CoP wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
CoP wrote:I said this in another thread, but at least part of the reason why Luka's on/off in the playoffs is so high is because he often gets taken out of the game for defensive possessions at the end of close games. So for example, he might be on the court for two offensive possessions where Dallas scores on each possession. Then he gets subbed off for the defensive possession, say to bring on a big for rebounding if they're fouling the other team for FTs. So Dallas might score 4 points on two offensive possessions while Doncic is on the floor, and give up 4 points on two defensive possessions while he's off. So he gets a +8 on/off while the team has a +/- of 0.

More specifically, the Mavs offense is nonexistent without Luka and Irving on the court.

Not sure where you got your on/off numbers. BBREF shows 115.4 on court and 83.3 off court for Luka. Irving's is similar: 116.5 and 89.7.

Either way, these numbers kind of prove my point, which is that looking at on/off numbers in small sample sizes is not a good idea.

I'm not saying Luka isn't amazing on offense - even in a series when he's not shooting well, the attention he draws boosts an offense. No doubt about it. I'm just saying his on/off numbers in small sample sizes absolutely can get boosted by him getting subbed off for defensive possessions late in close games.

On Nba.com.

Kyrie is playing a lot better, but he's having a lot worse +/-, on/off numbers, because Mavs without Kyrie still somehow survive, but when Luka goes out everything stops. That shows +/-, on/off on BBREF too.

Kyrie, +1; +8 on/off.
Luka with unbelievable + 7.9; +74.6 on/off.

Kyrie is unbelievable while playing with Luka, much better than Luka, but he's not Pg and when Luka goes out, Mavs offense just stops. Exum is unfortunately unplayable as Pg in this series. That's why Luka has absurd on/off. Luka didn't play especially well but had positive +/- in all 4 games. In both, first and last, they were -15 without him on the court. He didn't play only 9 minutes in those 2 games they have lost. So Mavs were - 30 in just 9 minutes without him. :o

I have looked at your thesis, there wasn't sub like you're talking about in game 1 and there really were 3 FTS made by Clippers without Luka late in 4Th Q in game 4, but that still leaves -27 in just 9 minutes Luka didn't play in 2 lost games.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 586

Post#3613 » by MMyhre » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:47 am

BmanInBigD wrote:
Handlez wrote:Luka taking a reputation hit big time if he doesn't return to form and win this series.

The only people from whom Luka takes a reputation hit are the ones looking for a reason to hit his reputation. He hasn't shot well, for sure, but he's not the reason the lower-seeded Mavs are TIED with the Clips. He's been an absolute killer in the post-season thus far in his career and one bad series, on a gimp leg, against a better team, is not gonna tarnish his rep to anyone except the simple-minded "but ringz!" crowd.

Lol. If only there was a way to lose all that fat and some muscle so you wouldn`t be so easily injured with all that mass... if only. And he wanted to statpad for that MVP in the regular season, the Embiid way instead of the Jokic way. This is what you get with the wrong priorities and mindset.
MMyhre
Suspended

Post#3614 » by MMyhre » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:52 am

zshawn10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow, fake humble Luka learning from Shaq. I think you should take at least ten more shots than Kyrie in the next game to "help" him, even more! And you`re doing this with an injury as well, that`s how humble you are to be graced by his presence, allowing him to be within 25 shot attempts of his majesty on a bad knee.

Imagine if he just let Kyrie get the most shots, and did his best to facilitate and set him up, but no he chucks up shots, because it has to be Luka Magic. Winning or you and your stats? Even with an injury you need to be the man, take the shots. Selfish. Exposed?

Losing to Harden in the playoffs, give it to me James, just finish the job.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3615 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:05 am

MMyhre wrote:
BmanInBigD wrote:

Lol. If only there was a way to lose all that fat and some muscle so you wouldn`t be so easily injured with all that mass... if only. And he wanted to statpad for that MVP in the regular season, the Embiid way instead of the Jokic way. This is what you get with the wrong priorities and mindset.

His priorities and mindset made him top5 player in the World and will bring him 1 billion dollars in his career. ;) I hope your priorities and mindset are as good as his.
MMyhre
Suspended

Post#3616 » by MMyhre » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:07 am

Bob8 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:
BmanInBigD wrote:The only people from whom Luka takes a reputation hit are the ones looking for a reason to hit his reputation. He hasn't shot well, for sure, but he's not the reason the lower-seeded Mavs are TIED with the Clips. He's been an absolute killer in the post-season thus far in his career and one bad series, on a gimp leg, against a better team, is not gonna tarnish his rep to anyone except the simple-minded "but ringz!" crowd.

His priorities and mindset made him top5 player in the World and will bring him 1 billion dollars in his career. ;) I'm hope your priorities and mindset is as good as his.

His talent and hard work as a child and teen did that, not the adult version with his head up his ass. He can have 1 billion dollars and still not be happy, so that`s just materialistic bull.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3617 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:07 am

MMyhre wrote:
zshawn10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow, fake humble Luka learning from Shaq. I think you should take at least ten more shots than Kyrie in the next game to "help" him, even more! And you`re doing this with an injury as well, that`s how humble you are to be graced by his presence, allowing him to be within 25 shot attempts of his majesty on a bad knee.

Imagine if he just let Kyrie get the most shots, and did his best to facilitate and set him up, but no he chucks up shots, because it has to be Luka Magic. Winning or you and your stats? Even with an injury you need to be the man, take the shots. Selfish. Exposed?

Mavs are losing games, when Kyrie is playing without Luka. ;)
MMyhre
Suspended

Post#3618 » by MMyhre » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am

Bob8 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:
zshawn10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Seems like we have one of Luka`s yes men here, keep taking those shots and lose, Luka ;)
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3619 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:10 am

MMyhre wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:Lol. If only there was a way to lose all that fat and some muscle so you wouldn`t be so easily injured with all that mass... if only. And he wanted to statpad for that MVP in the regular season, the Embiid way instead of the Jokic way. This is what you get with the wrong priorities and mindset.

His priorities and mindset made him top5 player in the World and will bring him 1 billion dollars in his career. ;) I'm hope your priorities and mindset is as good as his.

His talent and hard work as a child and teen did that, not the adult version with his head up his ass. He can have 1 billion dollars and still not be happy, so that`s just materialistic bull.

Materialistic bull? :lol: Tell that to people, who are fighting every day just to survive or to have a decent life.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3620 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:16 am

MMyhre wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:Wow, fake humble Luka learning from Shaq. I think you should take at least ten more shots than Kyrie in the next game to "help" him, even more! And you`re doing this with an injury as well, that`s how humble you are to be graced by his presence, allowing him to be within 25 shot attempts of his majesty on a bad knee.

Seems like we have one of Luka`s yes men here, keep taking those shots and lose, Luka ;)

In 9 minutes in which he didn't take a single shot, because he was out, Mavs were - 30 in both games they have lost. It looks to me that he shooting too much isn't Mavs' biggest problem, on the other hand Mavs offensive rtg being 68 without him is the big problem. ;)

Return to The General Board