2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,732

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3) 

Post#3481 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:07 am

Mobley can be the most dominant defensive player in the league and it’s not gonna matter if he can’t score outside of 10ft

If he’s not going to shoot the ball he needs to play the 5
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,462

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3) 

Post#3482 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 6, 2024 2:40 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:Mobley can be the most dominant defensive player in the league and it’s not gonna matter if he can’t score outside of 10ft

If he’s not going to shoot the ball he needs to play the 5

He'll do it better when he's not playing on a bad wheel, but one of the problems with all the Cavs injuries the past few years is the lack of evidence to support claims like yours.

Not to mention the ability to actually make shots when it matters is more important than the theoretical threat or else the Magic would have fared better with their length and shooting from all 5 positions. The list of Magic players who took as many or more 3pt attempts than Evan, but shot a worse % than his 27% is pretty long.

Finally, for those who don't see the Cavs often, their defensive style is to contest shots without fouling and sometimes shooters are just going to make shots over a contest regardless of how closely defended or contested. Mobley's game winning block against Franz didn't happen because of his raw ability or instincts but because he'd seen enough of Wagner to guess how he would try to finish. Part of Franz's journey to the next step is to add more finishes to his game and become less predictable.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,029

Post#3483 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:59 pm

Celtics in 5. Knicks/Celtics Game 1 on Sunday May 19.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,879

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#3484 » by JJ_PR » Mon May 6, 2024 3:24 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Cavs are really an embarrassing franchise.

Explain, Mr. Bobcats.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#3486 » by bmurph128 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:11 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Image

Blocks are just a stat on defense like points are a stat on offense, so its kind of weird to just point that out. I think he was solid in this series, but elite on defense is pushing it for me. He was crucial as a rim protector....his one on one defense was hit and miss though, and he committed the most fouls in the series.

On offense, he mishandled the ball and got stripped way too often. He was severely outclassed by Allen in this series
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,146

Post#3487 » by axeman23 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:29 pm

bmurph128 wrote:

Blocks are just a stat on defense like points are a stat on offense, so its kind of weird to just point that out. I think he was solid in this series, but elite on defense is pushing it for me. He was crucial as a rim protector....his one on one defense was hit and miss though, and he committed the most fouls in the series.

On offense, he mishandled the ball and got stripped way too often. He was severely outclassed by Allen in this series

Lol! "Blocks are just a stat", yet most of the board (yourself probably included) were creaming their pants over DM's 50-bag the game before. :roll: I hate how badly defense has been devalued in the average fans eyes in todays game...
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#3488 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 6, 2024 9:41 pm

bmurph128 wrote:

Have you seen Paolo's FG% when guarded by Mobley?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#3489 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:52 am

cupcakesnake wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I applaud JBB's innovative approach of just don't play any of your sucky bench bigs, but I'm not sure how sustainable it is over a 7 game series.

Boston pretty small right now with Porzingis out. Horford and Luke Kornet aren't exactly forcing you to play big.

Yeah, but we're surrendering a pretty big advantage by playing small.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,021

Post#3490 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 7, 2024 2:15 am

jbk1234 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I applaud JBB's innovative approach of just don't play any of your sucky bench bigs, but I'm not sure how sustainable it is over a 7 game series.

Boston pretty small right now with Porzingis out. Horford and Luke Kornet aren't exactly forcing you to play big.

Yeah, but we're surrendering a pretty big advantage by playing small.

Definitely not saying you should do it if you have the choice!
The hope has to be healthy Allen and Mobley just blitz the crap out of the paint and gain a serious advantage.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#3491 » by bmurph128 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:52 pm

axeman23 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

Lol! "Blocks are just a stat", yet most of the board (yourself probably included) were creaming their pants over DM's 50-bag the game before. :roll: I hate how badly defense has been devalued in the average fans eyes in todays game...

I literally said blocks are a stat like points, and then you said that lol.

I do think 50 points is more conducive to winning than 5 blocks, but ultimately both are just stats and you need context.

I think Mitchell had a better overall game than Mobley did though.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#3492 » by bmurph128 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:53 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

I said his one on one defense was "hit and miss" - what you said is definitely a "hit".
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#3493 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 7, 2024 6:02 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

I said his one on one defense was "hit and miss" - what you said is definitely a "hit".

"Hit and miss" conveys a level of mediocrity that is certainly not then case with a defender that most NBA players learned not to test back in his rookie season.

Return to The General Board