2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,092

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 2-1) 

Post#1601 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
mademan wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
I still have Cleveland winning in six, their offense will come alive eventually and they still have home court, but even if they do make it to the second round, they need to make changes regardless.

Mobley/Allen just doesnt work in the playoffs. You cant have that lack of spacing and Mobley just isnt a full time C yet. Cavs need a stretch 5, but losing Allen would hurt their defense too much.

Tough decisions to make. Mobley becoming a great shooter would solve all these problems, but thats living too much on hope.

Allen is clearly the better player.

No matter what we have to move Mobley.

I'll give JB another chance if we win the series.

If we lose, he's gone and I trade Mobley and then likely Mitchell too as I can't imagine he would want to stay.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

Trading Mobley would be stupid. Keep him and hope he continues to develop his three point shot.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,429

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 2-1) 

Post#1602 » by JonFromVA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Funny thing is, Cleveland wanted Orlando vs. Indiana. I didn't understand it at the time. The matchups were much better against the Pacers. If Orlando was playing Milwaukee, I feel like the same thing was going to happen (especially without Giannis).

Cavs can't beat the Pacers if they can't score 100pts.
Pacers have the 24th ranked defense, scoring against them wasn't gonna be the issue. jb was gonna get outcoahced by Carlisle but it is moot bc he's being outcoahced by Mosley.

It's an issue when Mitchell and Garland stink and our shooters can't shoot. Jbbs inability to adjust in game sure sucks too.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,796

Post#1603 » by DowJones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
mademan wrote:
Mobley/Allen just doesnt work in the playoffs. You cant have that lack of spacing and Mobley just isnt a full time C yet. Cavs need a stretch 5, but losing Allen would hurt their defense too much.

Tough decisions to make. Mobley becoming a great shooter would solve all these problems, but thats living too much on hope.

Allen is clearly the better player.

No matter what we have to move Mobley.

I'll give JB another chance if we win the series.

If we lose, he's gone and I trade Mobley and then likely Mitchell too as I can't imagine he would want to stay.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

Trading Mobley would be stupid. Keep him and hope he continues to develop his three point shot.

I agree that we need to keep Mobley but I disagree with the idea of keeping Allen. I think you have to split this pairing up. It is just way too difficult to have a successful offense when you play 2 bigs. The only way I keep Allen is if the offers just aren't enticing.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,093

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1604 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,629

Post#1605 » by ForeverTFC » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Pacers have the 24th ranked defense, scoring against them wasn't gonna be the issue. jb was gonna get outcoahced by Carlisle but it is moot bc he's being outcoahced by Mosley.

It's an issue when Mitchell and Garland stink and our shooters can't shoot. Jbbs inability to adjust in game sure sucks too.

I think Bickersatff is a bit handcuffed tbh. The best 2 man lineup is clearly Mitchell/Allen. But the future - especially if they’re not confident on Mitchell coming back - is Garland/Mobley. They’re essentially the same duo, one is just 5 years younger. Yet he has to play them all big minutes. There’s so much you can do with schemes if 4 of your highest minute players are pretty much written in in pen and the pairs pretty much bring the same skill set to the table.

I still really think a Garland for Siakam or OG trade would have been a great outcome for Cleveland but they just can’t make that move if there is a risk Mitchell is out.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#1606 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

DowJones wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
DowJones wrote:
I would consider starting Thompson over Strus and just going all-in on the big lineup to really muck the game up. I think the Cavs have a better chance of winning an 88-84 type of game than a 115-111 type of game. Thompson at the 5 would really help the rebounding and Mobley floating around the perimeter playing defense would be a nightmare for Orlando. The offense will be terrible, but I think it will be terrible regardless of who we play. Maybe Thompson gobbles some offensive rebounds.
I would start Morris for Strus.

I think Thompson is the better call. Thompson is an outstanding offensive rebounder and I trust him to bang in the post more than Morris. I would play Morris, just give him all of Niang's minutes.
We don't need 3 guys out there who can't shoot. Scoring is our issue.
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#1607 » by meatwad4343 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
SamBridges wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:And people think Barnes is better than Franz… foh

Barnes is for sure better, dude does everything and plays both sides of the ball

Strange that advance stats say Franz is the better defender. Thats just Black vs White euro cliche thing. Franz is a 2 way play

Yeah saying Barnes only plays both sides of the ball just proves people saying this have never watched franz play. He's an excellent defender. Not sure why this is even being discussed. Barnes is sitting on his couch and franz almost dropped 40 in a must win playoff game. Has nothing to do with this series lol.
NotaHypeJob
Sixth Man
And1: 2,267

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1608 » by NotaHypeJob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 pm

How come Evan Mobley isn't developing into that guy?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#1609 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 pm

meatwad4343 wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:
SamBridges wrote:Barnes is for sure better, dude does everything and plays both sides of the ball

Strange that advance stats say Franz is the better defender. Thats just Black vs White euro cliche thing. Franz is a 2 way play

Yeah saying Barnes only plays both sides of the ball just proves people saying this have never watched franz play. He's an excellent defender. Not sure why this is even being discussed. Barnes is sitting on his couch and franz almost dropped 40 in a must win playoff game. Has nothing to do with this series lol.
Debating about Barnes is killing the good vibes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,429

Post#1610 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:14 pm

DowJones wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
DowJones wrote:
I would consider starting Thompson over Strus and just going all-in on the big lineup to really muck the game up. I think the Cavs have a better chance of winning an 88-84 type of game than a 115-111 type of game. Thompson at the 5 would really help the rebounding and Mobley floating around the perimeter playing defense would be a nightmare for Orlando. The offense will be terrible, but I think it will be terrible regardless of who we play. Maybe Thompson gobbles some offensive rebounds.
I would start Morris for Strus.

I think Thompson is the better call. Thompson is an outstanding offensive rebounder and I trust him to bang in the post more than Morris. I would play Morris, just give him all of Niang's minutes.

You guys have taken leave of your senses. We're not starting Allen, Mobley, and TT for obvious reasons. We're not starting M. Morris because he's completely washed. Now, I think you consider playing TT and Mobley together when Allen rests and cut Niang's time in half.

Even with Strus shooting poorly (and he hit back-to-back threes regardless of the second one being waved off), our starting unit isn't the problem. The problem is we've been badly outmatched 6-10. JBB has to stop staggering Allen/Mobley and Mitchell/Garland for long periods. Until a bench unit demonstrates they can actually hold serve against the Magic on the road, the long rests have to end. Give guys 2 two-minute rests a quarter and that's it.

But Allen and Mobley in particular shouldn't be off the floor for more than two minutes of actual play time because that's when the Magic have been just killing us.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1611 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 pm

NotaHypeJob wrote:How come Evan Mobley isn't developing into that guy?

I mean he's 22 years old and missed half the season with injuries, but the Magic having WCJ, Mo Wagner, Issac is tough. Tougher still that they've been allowed to be physical with Mobley in Orlando in a way that the Cavs have not been allowed to be physical with either Banchero or Frantz.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,243

Post#1612 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 pm

NotaHypeJob wrote:How come Evan Mobley isn't developing into that guy?

Maybe Mitchell has gotten into the way of his development
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,170

Post#1613 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

To be fair..

Most teams back courts don’t look good against Orlando's defense.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,093

Post#1614 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 pm

Point Differential in the play offs

Minnesota 3-0, +54
Orl 2-2, +37
OKC 2-0, +34

:lol:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1615 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I say Magic close this out in 6.

I wouldn't let jb get on the plane back to CLE.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1616 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Pacers have the 24th ranked defense, scoring against them wasn't gonna be the issue. jb was gonna get outcoahced by Carlisle but it is moot bc he's being outcoahced by Mosley.

Can you leave Mitchell in Orlando, too?

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1617 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Pacers have the 24th ranked defense, scoring against them wasn't gonna be the issue. jb was gonna get outcoahced by Carlisle but it is moot bc he's being outcoahced by Mosley.

I think Bickersatff is a bit handcuffed tbh. The best 2 man lineup is clearly Mitchell/Allen. But the future - especially if they’re not confident on Mitchell coming back - is Garland/Mobley. They’re essentially the same duo, one is just 5 years younger. Yet he has to play them all big minutes. There’s so much you can do with schemes if 4 of your highest minute players are pretty much written in in pen and the pairs pretty much bring the same skill set to the table.

I still really think a Garland for Siakam or OG trade would have been a great outcome for Cleveland but they just can’t make that move if there is a risk Mitchell is out.
Especially bc both those players are on expiring deals.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1618 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Especially bc both those players are on expiring deals.
Neither of those teams needs a PG.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1619 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I mean we've played the Pacers, the Friday before the playoffs started in a game they wanted badly, and we had no problem scoring. We played the Pacers in March without Mitchell, and had no problem scoring. It's not hard to score against teams who don't have impressive defenses.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1620 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Can you leave Mitchell in Orlando, too?

No, we need to get some return assets fot him. He just need to stay healthy these next 2 losses so we can trade him when he declines to extend for the second summer in a row.

Return to The General Board