2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,202

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#2601 » by Wolfgang630 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:08 am

The good guys won. Yeah Boston will stomp both teams, but the more fun matchup will be against Orlando.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#2602 » by Mad Guru » Sat May 4, 2024 2:08 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Vampirate wrote:Cavs fans may not want to hear this but for Mobley's own personal development, it might be best if Donovan Mitchel leaves.

If Cav fans are against that idea then you must not think his ceiling is really high.

CLE rushed their rebuild for no reason. They were a playoff team before Spida, why did trade for him? He doesn't fit their timeline at all. Mobley, Garland and Allen don't look ready for playoff basketball

If Garland, Mobley, and Mitchell worked better together this wouldn't be a narrative.

How does a GM figure out that those three completely different players wouldn't be great together before putting them together?
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#2603 » by bmurph128 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:08 am

Vampirate wrote:Cavs fans may not want to hear this but for Mobley's own personal development, it might be best if Donovan Mitchel leaves.

If Cav fans are against that idea then you must not think his ceiling is really high.

His ceiling isnt that high. Garland is the perfect PG for Mobley and we've seen little evolution from him offensively the last few years relative to his potential.

He's not built for consistent playoff basketball. He couldn't screen Jalen Suggs and got knocked down him. Needs to add a ton of muscle and develop a better offensive game

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,960

Post#2604 » by thelead » Sat May 4, 2024 2:09 am

I get the whole 'ball hog' and 'little vision' digs at Mitchell but to disparage a 50pt performance on 61% shooting (64.7 TS%) is crazy to me.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#2605 » by Mad Guru » Sat May 4, 2024 2:11 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:

Mitchell has stunted both Garland and Mobley.

The good thing is, once Mitchell doesn't extend this summer (again) just trade him.

Garland just turned 24 and Mobley will be 23 next month. They have several years before their primes and will both be on long term deals.

Is Garland really the guy though, he has made huge mistakes in crucial situations over and over again this series.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#2606 » by Mad Guru » Sat May 4, 2024 2:11 am

thelead wrote:I get the whole 'ball hog' and 'little vision' digs at Mitchell but to disparage a 50pt performance on 61% shooting (64.7 TS%) is crazy to me.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills, Mitchell was amazing this game, and people are acting like he was the problem.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#2607 » by bmurph128 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:12 am

thelead wrote:I get the whole 'ball hog' and 'little vision' digs at Mitchell but to disparage a 50pt performance on 61% shooting (64.7 TS%) is crazy to me.

And against THAT defense. Let's also not forget that his third quarter took the Cavs from trailing most of the game to up by 5.

He was making difficult shot after difficult shot and nobody else on the Cavs was doing much offensively at that point. We lose by 30 again without him

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#2608 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 2:12 am

Mad Guru wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

CLE rushed their rebuild for no reason. They were a playoff team before Spida, why did trade for him? He doesn't fit their timeline at all. Mobley, Garland and Allen don't look ready for playoff basketball

If Garland, Mobley, and Mitchell worked better together this wouldn't be a narrative.

How does a GM figure out that those three completely different players wouldn't be great together before putting them together?
Because he had Sexton who is just an extremely poor mans version of Mitchell.

Garland and Sexton didn't work.

If the Cavs were trading 6 first rounders and a future All-Star, it needed to be for a SF who has actually made it past the 2nd round in his career.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#2609 » by bmurph128 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:12 am

Mad Guru wrote:

I feel like I am taking crazy pills, Mitchell was amazing this game, and people are acting like he was the problem.

It's a bizarre thing that some Cavs fans do

Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#2610 » by Mad Guru » Sat May 4, 2024 2:13 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

If the Cavs were trading 6 first rounders and a future All-Star, it needed to be for a SF who has actually made it past the 2nd round in his career.

Who?? What player is that guy?
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#2611 » by Marvin Martian » Sat May 4, 2024 2:14 am

Mad Guru wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

The GM wouldn't figure that out. What he would know, is that Spida is in his prime and he wouldn't have the patience to figure it out with a bunch of kids.
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 795

Post#2612 » by 90sAllDecade » Sat May 4, 2024 2:14 am

Fun series seeing Orlando and Cleveland take it to game 7.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#2613 » by Mad Guru » Sat May 4, 2024 2:19 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

The GM wouldn't figure that out. What he would know, is that Spida is in his prime and he wouldn't have the patience to figure it out with a bunch of kids.

He traded for Mitchell when he was 25, you don't get to have an interview where you sit down and figure out these guys' mentalities about how they will view the situation. You gotta strike and hope it works out IMO as a GM.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#2614 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 2:21 am

Mad Guru wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Mitchell has stunted both Garland and Mobley.

The good thing is, once Mitchell doesn't extend this summer (again) just trade him.

Garland just turned 24 and Mobley will be 23 next month. They have several years before their primes and will both be on long term deals.

Is Garland really the guy though, he has made huge mistakes in crucial situations over and over again this series.
It doesn't really matter, tbh.

That is what players are supposed to when they're young.

Winning a title at 24 like Wade is unheard of. Or even just making the finals at 22 like LeBron is rare. Even more recently Trae going to a conference final at 22 is pretty wild.

Mobley and Garland should be making mistakes and getting expierence. Koby fast forwarded the timeline for no real reason.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,712

Post#2615 » by Vampirate » Sat May 4, 2024 2:21 am

bmurph128 wrote:

His ceiling isnt that high. Garland is the perfect PG for Mobley and we've seen little evolution from him offensively the last few years relative to his potential.

He's not built for consistent playoff basketball. He couldn't screen Jalen Suggs and got knocked down him. Needs to add a ton of muscle and develop a better offensive game

You're better off just selling off everyone sans Garland then.

Mitchell as your best player isn't enough.

Mobley is limited right now. (his value is probably lower atm)

Allen will turn 29-30 before anything bares fruit, and he's a borderline all star, not a surefire one (bench fringe type all star), best off selling him while his value is high.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#2616 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 2:23 am

Mad Guru wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:If Garland, Mobley, and Mitchell worked better together this wouldn't be a narrative.

Who?? What player is that guy?
What do you mean?

2 tiny guards in Sexton and Garland didn't work, so obviously 2 tiny guards in Mitchell and Garland wasn't gonna work. I called it on this very message board from day 1 that i hated the trade.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,834

Post#2617 » by Rainwater » Sat May 4, 2024 2:24 am

Mad Guru wrote:

The Magic would take him lol
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#2618 » by Rainwater » Sat May 4, 2024 2:26 am

RookieStar wrote:Wow!!! 2 more wins than i expectes from.my team.

We defended home. So i expect us to get steamroleld and blown out in game 7. Lol

I did too lol
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#2619 » by Rainwater » Sat May 4, 2024 2:30 am

Just an outside observer but Mobley is going to be a good he just needs time.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 504

Post#2620 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Sat May 4, 2024 2:35 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

It's some variation of the Warriors two timelines thing. Just a horrible match made by that drunken GM. If you were to make a move like this, you have to assess how likely you would to trade anyone on the team to make it work with Mitchell. I don't think that was ever done, there was no plan B if the core 4 just didn't work and it still hasn't. If you aren't willing to trade Allen, Mobley or Garland then don't bring a dude with 3 years left on a deal who wants to at least see an ECF.

Return to The General Board