2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,077

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#2681 » by SOUL » Sat May 4, 2024 12:43 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think Orlando can take Boston to 7 games. They've beat them 4 out of the last 6 games.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Would require us beating the Cavs, slow your roll.

1-2 against them this year, don't care our record last year without Porzingis and Jrue and a better Derrick White. Celtics most likely beat both in 4-5.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,414

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#2682 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 1:10 pm

drekwins wrote:I didnt get to see the game... but 26 FTs to 10 is wild. Orlando got 89 FGA, to Clevelands 86 FGA... and then, they got 16 more FT attempts. No team can win with the other team getting that many more attempts to score.

Overall, it appears that Cleveland outplayed them, but Orlando out hustled them on the boards (15 ORebs vs. 7) and got a very friendly whistle. Turnover battle was equal.

Are the stats deceiving or is that how it went down?
It's been the story of the entire series, tbh.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,693

Post#2683 » by Bergmaniac » Sat May 4, 2024 1:10 pm

The Cavs bench has been hilariously bad this series. Even when we have played some pretty mediocre defensive lineups (i.e. we played Cole, Fultz, Mo Wagner and Ingles together for quite a bit yesterday) they still haven't been able to score. LeVert has been really bad outside of a good stretch in the first half of Game 3, Niang can't hit anything (he is supposed to be a shooter first yet he is shooting 22% from the field and 13% from 3), Okoro is shooting 32%, etc. Hopefully they won't bounce back in Game 7.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#2684 » by tooler » Sat May 4, 2024 1:25 pm

bmurph128 wrote:I do have some grapes with the disparity when there were numerous occasions that Mitchell and Garland got fouled without a call - they miss things on both sides, but man it feels like the Magic are playing way too physical to be called for less fouls and, couple that with how much the Cavs attacked, have that many more free throws.

Regarding how the Cavs attacked, I thought most of Mitchell's damage was done by getting a switch and blowing by the Magic's front court -- Franz, Paolo, Wendell Carter Jr., etc. -- and laying up a quick finesse shot with a defender behind him.

Since he often had a bigger defender behind him, if he wanted to draw fouls he could've pulled a Trae/Brunson and stopped suddenly for a pull-up jump shot. Maybe he'll make that adjustment next game to get the Magic forwards in foul trouble.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#2685 » by Decipher » Sat May 4, 2024 1:51 pm

Ridiculous how little respect is being given to the Magic

They’re young with a couple of holes in their lineup but have some real talent and will be near the top of the pile for many years if they play their cards right
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,146

Post#2686 » by axeman23 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:57 pm

Mad Guru wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:If Garland, Mobley, and Mitchell worked better together this wouldn't be a narrative.

How does a GM figure out that those three completely different players wouldn't be great together before putting them together?

The GM wouldn't figure that out. What he would know, is that Spida is in his prime and he wouldn't have the patience to figure it out with a bunch of kids.

He traded for Mitchell when he was 25, you don't get to have an interview where you sit down and figure out these guys' mentalities about how they will view the situation. You gotta strike and hope it works out IMO as a GM.

The point is, he DIDN'T have to strike! He could've let NY make the mistake while the Cavs held onto a core that was already headed to the playoffs if not for injury, and control of their draft for the next 8 years or whatever. Altman just seems to have a hard-on for being embarrassed by Ainge, it seems...
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,146

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 3-2) 

Post#2687 » by axeman23 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:02 pm

Wingy wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:Man, who the hell is Mitchell supposed to pass too?

His team made the playoffs before he arrived. Garland made the all star team. That squad won only 4 fewer games than this year's team, and 7 fewer than last year’s team. Strus has experience starting in the Finals, so not like a star should be scared to kick it to him for an open shot.

Don’t act like Mitchell is some kind of Jordan or Lebron that saved this team from the 20 win doldrums.

You’d have people to pass to if you…you know, passed to people. Basically no one plays well when they never touch the ball.

"Come one, come all! See the FABULOUS Donovan and his sidekicks the Washinton Generals!" :lol:
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,638

Post#2688 » by shi-woo » Sat May 4, 2024 2:32 pm

drekwins wrote:I didnt get to see the game... but 26 FTs to 10 is wild. Orlando got 89 FGA, to Clevelands 86 FGA... and then, they got 16 more FT attempts. No team can win with the other team getting that many more attempts to score.

Overall, it appears that Cleveland outplayed them, but Orlando out hustled them on the boards (15 ORebs vs. 7) and got a very friendly whistle. Turnover battle was equal.

You got some very disingenuous responses, the Cavs did not have a better game and lose because of a favorable whistle. Idk how anyone could watch that game and say CLE outplayed the MAgic.

Lowkey the Cavs played like trash most of the game, and just made 2 serious runs to not make that game a blowout. They went on a run in th first half when Paolo came out and fultz and Ingles played terrible for a few minutes, and then they had an 11-0 run in the 3rd. Orlando responded to both, and then swung back each time. Mitchel did his thing in the 4th, but it wasn't enough, MAgic just had too much going on by then.

The discord I was in was ready to murder Niang and Okoro, and they got nothing frron guys like TT and MM who actively hurt the team. That goaltend by Tristan when the ref already blew the whistle is a great example. Morris taking step back 3's in a game 6 was something you wouldn't even want 10 years ago. Compound all that with Evan playing like Luke Kornet for most of the game, and you get the idea. Cavs offense was just simple pick and roll and you knew Garland and Mitchel weren't passing it back out.

The people who said this game just came down to FT's missed a lot of the game it seems. What they really need to be saying instead of framing it this way is, Wagner is incredible at finding angles and getting to the rim and initiating contact. Same with Poalo. Size on the wings is the Cavs biggest weakness, everyone knows this, so why are people surprised they are getting handled by 2 6'10 guys driving to the paint? That's the real story, Cavs can't check either guy. Garland and Mitch are driving, but they are hitting mostly finesse shots, the kind that make you say wow, but they aren't banging like those 2 have been all series. Cavs have to foul or give up 2 every time one of thos guys beats a late defender, or decide to just go 1v1. They have no way of stopping either.

Last nights game was also determined by Jalen Suggs, from the start to the finish he was the difference maker, hitting timely shots. A few of those were off of the offensiv rebounds you were talking about.

Cavs are a tiny team, and Magic are gigantic. That size differential is showing itself in every facet of the game right now, and has been the real reason the Cavs are losing. They just physically can't compete, and yes the MAgic are playing with more hustle. The whistle is going to seem more friendly in that situation, but as a nuetral fan, I just see a JV team complaining they can't guard the 18 year old seniors out there for most of the game.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,849

Post#2689 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 4:07 pm

Knicks & Mavs took all the smoke and advanced. Milwaukee ducked and got bounced. Come on Basketball gods, you know what to do.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,414

Post#2690 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 4:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Mitchell's knee seemed fine tonight.

How can you post this with a straight face?

How many times did he go back to the locker room? Also what were they giving him?

How many times did he go to the bench and have the staff use the Theragun on him?

How many times did he fall to the floor or bend over and grimace in pain?

Seriously, count em up and tell me Mitchell's knee was fine, it was furthest thing from fine in this contest. The guy hobbled around most of the night.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,565

Post#2691 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:32 pm

shi-woo wrote:

You got some very disingenuous responses, the Cavs did not have a better game and lose because of a favorable whistle. Idk how anyone could watch that game and say CLE outplayed the MAgic.

Lowkey the Cavs played like trash most of the game, and just made 2 serious runs to not make that game a blowout. They went on a run in th first half when Paolo came out and fultz and Ingles played terrible for a few minutes, and then they had an 11-0 run in the 3rd. Orlando responded to both, and then swung back each time. Mitchel did his thing in the 4th, but it wasn't enough, MAgic just had too much going on by then.

The discord I was in was ready to murder Niang and Okoro, and they got nothing frron guys like TT and MM who actively hurt the team. That goaltend by Tristan when the ref already blew the whistle is a great example. Morris taking step back 3's in a game 6 was something you wouldn't even want 10 years ago. Compound all that with Evan playing like Luke Kornet for most of the game, and you get the idea. Cavs offense was just simple pick and roll and you knew Garland and Mitchel weren't passing it back out.

The people who said this game just came down to FT's missed a lot of the game it seems. What they really need to be saying instead of framing it this way is, Wagner is incredible at finding angles and getting to the rim and initiating contact. Same with Poalo. Size on the wings is the Cavs biggest weakness, everyone knows this, so why are people surprised they are getting handled by 2 6'10 guys driving to the paint? That's the real story, Cavs can't check either guy. Garland and Mitch are driving, but they are hitting mostly finesse shots, the kind that make you say wow, but they aren't banging like those 2 have been all series. Cavs have to foul or give up 2 every time one of thos guys beats a late defender, or decide to just go 1v1. They have no way of stopping either.

Last nights game was also determined by Jalen Suggs, from the start to the finish he was the difference maker, hitting timely shots. A few of those were off of the offensiv rebounds you were talking about.

Cavs are a tiny team, and Magic are gigantic. That size differential is showing itself in every facet of the game right now, and has been the real reason the Cavs are losing. They just physically can't compete, and yes the MAgic are playing with more hustle. The whistle is going to seem more friendly in that situation, but as a nuetral fan, I just see a JV team complaining they can't guard the 18 year old seniors out there for most of the game.

Magic fans are in for a very rude awakening as to how *good* their players are going to be at drawing those *initiating contact* fouls in Boston should they get past the Cavs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,961

Post#2692 » by thelead » Sat May 4, 2024 5:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:

Magic fans are in for a very rude awakening as to how *good* their players are going to be at drawing those *initiating contact* fouls in Boston should they get past the Cavs.

lol... there is literally one fan in here talking crazy and we're being generalized. I have the Celts in 5 if we happen to get by the Cavs. I fully expect to get beaten badly in most of the games too.... Kristaps being out is huge though.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,923

Post#2693 » by basketballRob » Sat May 4, 2024 5:06 pm

I've got the Celtics in 7, but anything can happen.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#2694 » by Residual-Heat » Sat May 4, 2024 5:06 pm

Magic were 1st in the league in FTrate in the regular season this season and top 5 last season (with a rookie and second year player leading them)... They are good at drawing fouls.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,270

2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 3-3) 

Post#2695 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat May 4, 2024 5:56 pm

DowJones wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Magic got a nice whistle tonight, but I don't think it was offensively bad. 6 of those BTW are from intentional fouling, so it's more like 20 to 10 FTs. I think people always forget this part when trying to quote free throw disparity. Could the Cavs have had like 2-3 more trips to the line? Sure.

But I also don't get the more paint points = team should get more fouls drawn.. especially with how poor our defense was inside today, a lot of layups and floaters from the Cavs, versus our drives kind of barreling inside with our bigs.

I think if there are bigger gripes for Cavs fans it can be physicality allowed on defense at times, versus specific fouls on plays at the basket giving them more free throws.

No, the whistle was offensively bad for Orlando. Orlando has been +40 from the free-throw line for the entire series. Orlando has been allowed to bump and shove every time a Cavalier has driven to the hoop.

aka: prorl
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,565

Post#2696 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:31 pm

SOUL wrote:

Magic got a nice whistle tonight, but I don't think it was offensively bad. 6 of those BTW are from intentional fouling, so it's more like 20 to 10 FTs. I think people always forget this part when trying to quote free throw disparity. Could the Cavs have had like 2-3 more trips to the line? Sure.

But I also don't get the more paint points = team should get more fouls drawn.. especially with how poor our defense was inside today, a lot of layups and floaters from the Cavs, versus our drives kind of barreling inside with our bigs.

I think if there are bigger gripes for Cavs fans it can be physicality allowed on defense at times, versus specific fouls on plays at the basket giving them more free throws.

Frantz seems to be the beneficiary of at least one that's-not-a-playoff-foul call per game. Outside of that, my biggest gripe, and it's not specific to this series is how much the NBA is permitting defenders to push or shove the ball handler. That's new, and when it results in a turnover, it really has be called a foul.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,834

Post#2697 » by Rainwater » Sat May 4, 2024 6:32 pm

thelead wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:

lol... there is literally one fan in here talking crazy and we're being generalized. I have the Celts in 5 if we happen to get by the Cavs. I fully expect to get beaten badly in most of the games too.... Kristaps being out is huge though.

Most logical Magic fans thought the Magic had no shot against the Cavs more less the Celtics lol
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#2698 » by Rainwater » Sat May 4, 2024 6:35 pm

cgf wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Chokic wrote:Mitchell is a dwade caliber you don't trade that kind of player to prioritize mobleys development lol. I'm high on Garland but his game doesn't mesh well w/ mitchell as he needs the ball in his hand alot to really be effective.

Did you just call Mitchell Dwade Caliber? Dwade is arguably top 3 SG of all time. If Mitchell was Dwade caliber he would have won a title in Utah. You are either overrating Mitchell or have never seen Dwade play.

When did Mitchell play with anyone as good as LeBron or Shaq in Utah?

True but Utah had some pretty talented squads. A DWade level player would have done so much more with such a team.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,878

Post#2699 » by mcfly1204 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:40 pm

Rainwater wrote:
cgf wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Did you just call Mitchell Dwade Caliber? Dwade is arguably top 3 SG of all time. If Mitchell was Dwade caliber he would have won a title in Utah. You are either overrating Mitchell or have never seen Dwade play.

True but Utah had some pretty talented squads. A DWade level player would have done so much more with such a team.

Yeah, Utah would have had a dynasty with DWade, Gobert, and Clarkson.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#2700 » by Rainwater » Sat May 4, 2024 7:04 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
cgf wrote:

Yeah, Utah would have had a dynasty with DWade, Gobert, and Clarkson.

Don’t know about dynasty but Prime Clarkson, prime Gobert, prime Conley, prime Ingles, Bojan Bogdanović with Wade should do much more. Hell, Edwards might do much more with Conley and Gobert than Mitchell.

Return to The General Board