2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 3-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
16%
Cavs in 6
26%
Cavs in 7
12%
Magic in 4
3%
Magic in 5
3%
Magic in 6
27%
Magic in 7
12%

Total votes: 263

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,776

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 2-0) 

Post#941 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:04 am

durden_tyler wrote:And it's time to remind everyone that the Cavs intentionally blew a big lead to the mighty Charlotte Hornets in the last game of the regular season to get this first round pairing with the Orlando Magic. Genius indeed.

It may work, but a lot of this is self inflicted by the Magic too. We're two bad first quarters away from closer games (that I think we still lose because Cavs just have better shot making and more experienced guys).

It's more about Cavs' fans expectations. I think they would not be happy with the season beating us and getting destroyed by the Celtics.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,953

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 2-0) 

Post#942 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:07 am

SOUL wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:And it's time to remind everyone that the Cavs intentionally blew a big lead to the mighty Charlotte Hornets in the last game of the regular season to get this first round pairing with the Orlando Magic. Genius indeed.

It may work, but a lot of this is self inflicted by the Magic too. We're two bad first quarters away from closer games (that I think we still lose because Cavs just have better shot making and more experienced guys).

It's more about Cavs' fans expectations. I think they would not be happy with the season beating us and getting destroyed by the Celtics.

Every team in the East is going to be destroyed by the Celtics. And of course, everyone wanted to draw with the Magic in the first round (and the Heat) Cavs was just more prudent chasing that.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#943 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:10 am

durden_tyler wrote:Every team in the East is going to be destroyed by the Celtics. And of course, everyone wanted to draw with the Magic in the first round (and the Heat) Cavs was just more prudent chasing that.

I ain't mad at the move from their perspective, I didn't want the 2 seed when we had a chance at it late in the season so we'd avoid Philly or a healthy Heat.
KazuoOda
Rookie
And1: 1,318

Post#944 » by KazuoOda » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:17 am

SOUL wrote:

I dont get this argument.
Lose to the Celtics in the 2nd or the 3rd round, what difference does it make. You're not gonna roll over when you face them. Doesn't matter what round you play them in.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#945 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 am

thelead wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Really? Our game thread wants us to fire our coach and rebuild our rebuild.
You all can have about $60 million in cap space if ya want, while retaining your top 3 players. Sounds like the sky is the limit.

The problem is that the FA market is pretty weak. It seems like the paths towards improvement are trades and through the draft these days.

That trade for Mitchell was the exact right move for the Cavs. There was no other way to land that type of talent in Cleveland. The Magic are facing a similar reality this summer.
For your guys sake, i hope you can do it without surrendering as many assets as the Cavs did.

They gave up 3 unprotected first rounders, 2 unprotected pick swaps, the draft rights to a lottery pick, a future All-Star, and Sexton.

That is such a steep price to pay for a guy who has never been past the 2nd round.

You all could try to overpay Klay then get Jonas bc you said you want a "real" big guy. Or alternatively, go sign a lead guard like Ty Jones, sign a shooter like Monk, and then get your guy Hartenstien who can be a terror on the boards. Idk if there's a great 3rd option Hield is a shooter who will be out there, cheap bigs like Drummond/Jordan will be out there.

I think similar to the Cavs you all will probably have to pay above market value to lure guys but I think there are enough shooters and bigs in free agency to snag one of each. Finding that lead guard is gonna probably have to be the draft, internal growth, or maybe trade but that could kill draft asset flexibility.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#946 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 am

KazuoOda wrote:I dont get this argument.
Lose to the Celtics in the 2nd or the 3rd round, what difference does it make. You're not gonna roll over when you face them. Doesn't matter what round you play them in.

It may make a difference to Mitchell and the fans. I'm not a Cavs fans so I don't know, I'm just going by what I hear from in Cavs podcasts, etc. A lot of people said they would not consider this season a success if they beat us and got swept, and it may not be enough to keep Mitchell.

Personally, I still think winning a series is a success and the Cavs are a young team, but I'm not sure what sort of expectations the team/FO/fans have in terms of contending.
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#947 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

SOUL wrote:

First and foremost, I don’t really see Cavs getting “destroyed” by Celtics. Beaten? Sure. But destroyed? People continue to underestimate the Cavs and I’m not sure why.

With that said, yes, I’d be satisfied with a second round exit. We’ve had a lot work against us this year with the absurd amount of injuries and yet to still go farther than last year is fine in my book. Cavs are not ready to be title contenders just yet. They’ve shown so much internal improvement and development, and to be so young makes this all the more exciting. If we truly are a second round exit… that’s fine. I can still at least laugh at all the people who were convinced we’d be a first round exit.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,408

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 1-0) 

Post#948 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:Mitchell is the only 1st option in this series. Cavs have the best player by a wide margin and 4 of the best 7. They would need to choke in pretty epic fashion to lose this one. They threw their last game in the most embarrassing fashion to get this matchup; there is a reason for that. They’ll win but they are still cowards in most peoples eyes.

Magic did well grinding out a good regular season but they just aren’t there yet. They need to a go to guy on the offensive end. We’ve all watched enough playoffs to know you can’t do much without one.

And yet, there's only one game difference in the standings between the two teams. Even if the Cavs won and the Knicks lost and got the 2 seed that wouldn't change the fact that Orlando would only be 2 games worse (Indiana and Philly too for that matter).

The difference between the 2 through 8 teams in the East has got a lot more to do with health than talent.

Not to mention, the Cavs didn't play particularly well on offense themselves after the 1st quarter - just well enough to rebuild the lead when the Magic fought back. So, unless that changes it won't take an epic choke job ... just another banged knee or someone on the Magic getting hot.

The regular season is somewhat irrelevant in the playoffs. If all teams were healthy, Magic are probably the worst playoff team. We’ve all watched enough to know the importance of having a real number 1 guy in the playoffs.

Of course injuries can change things, but take away that equation and I’m not sure how anyone picks the Magic to win this series.

Health is the #1 factor above even talent, and not just outright losing guys, but guys playing at varying degrees under 100% We can ignore it, but we can't make it go away.

Mitchell is amazing, but he's been hurt in the playoffs 4 years in a row. Garland should be right there with him, but all we get are flashes.

Holding home court is a big step for these guys and winning one on the road would be the next. Since they've never done it, I don't take it for granted.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#949 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 am

Iwasawitness wrote:With that said, yes, I’d be satisfied with a second round exit. We’ve had a lot work against us this year with the absurd amount of injuries and yet to still go farther than last year is fine in my book. Cavs are not ready to be title contenders just yet. They’ve shown so much internal improvement and development, and to be so young makes this all the more exciting. If we truly are a second round exit… that’s fine. I can still at least laugh at all the people who were convinced we’d be a first round exit.

That's good. I feel like I'd be the same way as a Cavs fan. I think the NY series loss last year made people overly harsh on the team (in terms of your own fans). Winning a series is hard in general, so it's nothing to scoff at.

I guess the real thing is just what becomes of Mitchell. I'd like to see him stay because I'd lose respect iif he forces his way to BK or NY.
Blacksheep25
Rookie
And1: 1,314

Post#950 » by Blacksheep25 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:38 am

SOUL wrote:

It may make a difference to Mitchell and the fans. I'm not a Cavs fans so I don't know, I'm just going by what I hear from in Cavs podcasts, etc. A lot of people said they would not consider this season a success if they beat us and got swept, and it may not be enough to keep Mitchell.

Personally, I still think winning a series is a success and the Cavs are a young team, but I'm not sure what sort of expectations the team/FO/fans have in terms of contending.

I’d rather just play Boston next personally. We’ve seen the Hawks and Mavs make conference finals runs in recent history that were a total mirage as far as trajectory of the team. Runs where it wasn’t some step on their way up, and just favorable matchups.

We make ECF, which I don’t think we would regardless of opponent, they’d probably do something idiotic like extend JBB and think we are way closer than we are.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#951 » by 3ddman23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:38 am

Magic just can't hit wide open shoots consistently. It's really that simple. Magic hit wide open shots they win both of these games in Cleveland.
GO MAGIC
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,408

Post#952 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 am

SOUL wrote:

Winning a first round series would be a degree of progress. Mitchell might listen to the rest of the pitch before deciding what to do with his extension.

A lot depends how the playoffs end for the Cavs.

As for the Magic's cap space, there are ways to leverage that in a trade. You can go sign your Larry Hughes, but might do better with some patience.
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#953 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:49 am

SOUL wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:With that said, yes, I’d be satisfied with a second round exit. We’ve had a lot work against us this year with the absurd amount of injuries and yet to still go farther than last year is fine in my book. Cavs are not ready to be title contenders just yet. They’ve shown so much internal improvement and development, and to be so young makes this all the more exciting. If we truly are a second round exit… that’s fine. I can still at least laugh at all the people who were convinced we’d be a first round exit.

That's good. I feel like I'd be the same way as a Cavs fan. I think the NY series loss last year made people overly harsh on the team (in terms of your own fans). Winning a series is hard in general, so it's nothing to scoff at.

I guess the real thing is just what becomes of Mitchell. I'd like to see him stay because I'd lose respect iif he forces his way to BK or NY.

From my understanding, Mitchell is very happy in Cleveland. We really won’t know what he’ll do until after the season is over, but he’s got to be very encouraged by what he’s been seeing from his teammates here. Allen dominating, Mobley being a defensive menace, hell Garland showed major signs of life at one point before he started screwing everything up again. I’m just glad Mitchell doesn’t need to have 40+ point games just to win. It’s a sign of how much more variance this Cavaliers team has compared to those Jazz squads.

Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#954 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:55 am

3ddman23 wrote:Magic just can't hit wide open shoots consistently. It's really that simple. Magic hit wide open shots they win both of these games in Cleveland.

You’re acting like Orlando had nothing but open looks. Cleveland’s defense played a part in a lot of their misses.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#955 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 am

I don't think we win but we certainly get better chances at putting ourselves in position to steal one. The Cavs are absolutely in their head with the rebounding and interior defense.

At the very least, there are opportunities to hit shots, but I think the biggest thing is getting off to a good start and feeling confident that we can at least build a lead against them.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#956 » by 3ddman23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:12 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
3ddman23 wrote:Magic just can't hit wide open shoots consistently. It's really that simple. Magic hit wide open shots they win both of these games in Cleveland.

You’re acting like Orlando had nothing but open looks. Cleveland’s defense played a part in a lot of their misses.

They had plenty to make these closer games. They obviously just missed them.
GO MAGIC
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,239

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 1-0) 

Post#957 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:09 am

Revived wrote:Is Orlando the worst playoff team in NBA history?

Not even close. There have been a lot of 8th seeds who didn't want to be there and it showed on the court.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,632

Post#958 » by Revived » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:13 am

jbk1234 wrote:

Not even close. There have been a lot of 8th seeds who didn't want to be there and it showed on the court.

Maybe. But Magic are definitely the worst team in the playoffs this year despite being a 5th seed.

They’d lose to any of the other 15 teams from either conference in a 7 game series imo.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,239

Post#959 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 am

Revived wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Maybe. But Magic are definitely the worst team in the playoffs this year despite being a 5th seed.

They’d lose to any of the other 15 teams from either conference in a 7 game series imo.

The Pacers got run off the court by a Bucks team without Giannis. The Heat without Butler and Rozier aren't a playoff team period.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,632

Post#960 » by Revived » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:31 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revived wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The Pacers got run off the court by a Bucks team without Giannis. The Heat without Butler and Rozier aren't a playoff team period.

If the Heat without Butler and Rozier can beat Chicago then they can beat Orlando too. And Pacers played one game lol.

Return to The General Board