Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official]

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official] 

Post#1 » by Crives » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,747

Re: Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official] 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 pm

Pretty big news. He fits well with those guys. Has had a great season. Free agent market looks pitiful.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,759

Post#3 » by Froob » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:04 pm

Hmm seems like a solid deal if he can keep up the shooting. Is he still getting cooked on defense? Jays were eating this guy up in the playoffs on the Bucks.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,332

Post#4 » by XTC » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:21 pm

Froob wrote:I like Grayson as much as the next guy, but idk is it that hard to find a Grayson Allen? Just feels like a lot. Is he still getting cooked on defense? Jays were eating this guy up in the playoffs on the Bucks.

FVV is making $40 million, Poole is making $35 million... in a league where mid starters are commanding 30-40 million, elite role players like Grayson are going to command 15-20 million. His contract falls in line with what guys like Gary Trent Jr, and Dillon Brooks got.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,759

Post#5 » by Froob » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 pm

XTC wrote:
Froob wrote:I like Grayson as much as the next guy, but idk is it that hard to find a Grayson Allen? Just feels like a lot. Is he still getting cooked on defense? Jays were eating this guy up in the playoffs on the Bucks.

FVV is making $40 million, Poole is making $35 million... in a league where mid starters are commanding 30-40 million, elite role players like Grayson are going to command 15-20 million. His contract falls in line with what guys like Gary Trent Jr, and Dillon Brooks got.

Yeah I edited the original post, it's not quite that bad.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,736

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:49 pm

Froob wrote:Hmm seems like a solid deal if he can keep up the shooting. Is he still getting cooked on defense? Jays were eating this guy up in the playoffs on the Bucks.

Well he's not the worst defender in the Suns starting lineup I'll put it that way...
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#7 » by omerome » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:00 pm

I'll say this: Donte Divincenzo's contact really looks like a huge bargain.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,022

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:07 pm

Seems like a solid deal all around. Im sure with the season he had, he couldve spent some time in free agency and maybe have gotten a better deal.

Led the league in 3pt% and 2nd in TS%. Also most nights he is asked to spend a ton of energy on defense defending the opposing team's best perimeter player. Not saying he is some stud defender, but that has been his role for the majority of the year with the starting group.

And even if you think this year he's playing well beyond his capability. Outside of his rookie year, he has been as consistent of a shooter as you can ask for. 5 seasons and his worst season from 3 is 39%, the other 4 seasons are 39.9% or higher.

I know the 70 mil number looks big, but that is about 12% of the cap next year. If you can get a super consistent elite shooter who you know will at minimum play with high energy on the defensive end, for 12% of the cap. That is a pretty damn good deal.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,967

Post#9 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:24 pm

Great, another player the Pistons can't sign. Just keeps getting better and better. If monk signs, im out on the Pistons man. They are never gonna get better at this rate.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,924

Post#10 » by Jadoogar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:45 pm

Good deal for Allen but how are the Suns affording this team? Durant, Booker and Beal on max deals. Nurkic and Allen on fairly large deals. Rest are basically minimums but it's still very expensive.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,509

Post#11 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Great, another player the Pistons can't sign. Just keeps getting better and better. If monk signs, im out on the Pistons man. They are never gonna get better at this rate.

Let me save you the trouble given how bare FA is this summer: either ditch 'em now or just commit lol.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#12 » by HotelVitale » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:59 pm

Interesting, feels like he could've bet on himself and maybe made more this summer...but he also gets the security of staying put and being on a good/relevant team.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,502

Post#13 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:12 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Good deal for Allen but how are the Suns affording this team? Durant, Booker and Beal on max deals. Nurkic and Allen on fairly large deals. Rest are basically minimums but it's still very expensive.

And they want to re-sign O'Neale as well. Basically Matt Ishbia has said "screw it, we're going above the second apron". The question is if they'll hit the 3 in 5 years above the apron threshold and then they start getting nailed with draft pick penalties. Although they've basically traded away all of their picks, so I'm not sure how that'll work.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#14 » by spanishninja » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:21 pm

HotelVitale wrote:Interesting, feels like he could've bet on himself and maybe made more this summer...but he also gets the security of staying put and being on a good/relevant team.
Maybe his wife really likes being in phx.

Sent from my SM-S926U using RealGM mobile app
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,067

Post#15 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:38 pm

He should have tested FA. He would make a lot more money.
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 422

Post#16 » by ghillphx » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:He should have tested FA. He would make a lot more money.

What is he tore his ACL during the playoffs? Your logic has failed for many men before him. Look it up.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,694

Post#17 » by AleksandarN » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:53 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Great, another player the Pistons can't sign. Just keeps getting better and better. If monk signs, im out on the Pistons man. They are never gonna get better at this rate.

Hopefully the Pistons don't do something stupid and offer kcp like 25 million per year
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#18 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:02 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:Good deal for Allen but how are the Suns affording this team? Durant, Booker and Beal on max deals. Nurkic and Allen on fairly large deals. Rest are basically minimums but it's still very expensive.

And they want to re-sign O'Neale as well. Basically Matt Ishbia has said "screw it, we're going above the second apron". The question is if they'll hit the 3 in 5 years above the apron threshold and then they start getting nailed with draft pick penalties. Although they've basically traded away all of their picks, so I'm not sure how that'll work.

My guess would be the protections get stripped away.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#19 » by Profound23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:03 pm

ghillphx wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:He should have tested FA. He would make a lot more money.

What is he tore his ACL during the playoffs? Your logic has failed for many men before him. Look it up.

Plus once PHX sees how bad Allen is in the postseason they will immediately regret this decision. He cashed in at the right time.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,791

Post#20 » by ConSarnit » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:20 pm

HotelVitale wrote:Interesting, feels like he could've bet on himself and maybe made more this summer...but he also gets the security of staying put and being on a good/relevant team.

I think it all would have depended on his playoffs. He's been targeted in the past as a defensive weak link. If that happens again he might get the Malik Beasley treatment as the guy who can't be counted on in the playoffs and thus you don't want to pay him starter money. Now, obviously Beasley is the extreme case due to him being a terrible defender in both the regular season and playoffs but I think Allen could have suffered some earnings potential if he can't hold up in the playoffs. $17-18m seems like a good compromise for Allen because one bad playoff round might have knocked him down to MLE-level guy. He was also going to have to some competition in the "3 & not-so-great at D" SG market as a UFA with Hield, Trent, Gary Harris, Melton and Beasley all being UFA. I think Allen avoided a lot of downside risk by taking this deal (at least more so than the upside, which I would have put at 4/80 max).

Return to The General Board