Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official]

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,737

Re: Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official] 

Post#41 » by Revived » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 pm

ConSarnit wrote:Do I think Allen deserved a raise? For sure. I just can't see anyone wanting to give him 4/80m+ given that he's a pretty finished product. To me 4/70 was closer to his high end than his low end and that's why I think he probably did pretty well.

Read on Twitter
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#42 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:25 pm

man... my number 1 FA target for us...
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,793

Post#43 » by Pointgod » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:36 pm

MLE is 12.5 million. This is about 5 million more per year. The way Allen played has been more than MLE but this is probably an overpay.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,067

Post#44 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:41 pm

Revived wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:Do I think Allen deserved a raise? For sure. I just can't see anyone wanting to give him 4/80m+ given that he's a pretty finished product. To me 4/70 was closer to his high end than his low end and that's why I think he probably did pretty well.

Read on Twitter

Very interesting, but I guess he didn't want to be in a Dennis Schroeder situation where he screwed himself completely. he must have really liked living in Phoenix.
Revived
RealGM

Post#45 » by Revived » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:43 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Revived wrote:

Read on Twitter

Very interesting, but I guess he didn't want to be in a Dennis Schroeder situation where he screwed himself completely. he must have really liked living in Phoenix.

After being in cold winters of Wisconsin for a couple years, can’t blame him for enjoying the warmth of Arizona.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#46 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 pm

About on par for what I thought he would get as it's comparative to Joe Harris' 4 yr $75 mil deal. Suns couldn't afford to lose him for nothing and to Ishbia's credit it seems he's willing to pay an extraordinary amount of luxury tax.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,406

Post#47 » by magee » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 pm

The Flat State Income Tax in Arizona plays a part into that contract, as well. The only other team that could've given him a better deal, as least tax wise for the value of his contract, would've been the Orlando Magic, since Florida is the only state in the NBA with no Income Tax.

That being said, $300+ Milli in penalties to have a first round exit is gonna be a rough pill to swallow in a couple years. He's gonna have to look at trading Devin Booker at some point, since he's the only player who can get the most value back between him, Durant and Beal.

Back to Allen. Well deserved contract. Happy for him.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,203

Post#48 » by MrBigShot » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:57 pm

This is an amazing deal. His shooting splits are 50/46/87. Guys like that don't grow on trees.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,903

Post#49 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

That's one more guard off the Magic's list. They'll be looking for another guard to replace Fultz and his $17m deal.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,338

Post#50 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am

These are good/great extensions (Holiday) especially the timing. You'd want them playing inspired for the postseason, yeah?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,401

Post#51 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 am

Charlesareed wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Great, another player the Pistons can't sign. Just keeps getting better and better. If monk signs, im out on the Pistons man. They are never gonna get better at this rate.

Hopefully the Pistons don't do something stupid and offer kcp like 25 million per year

lol I doubt kcp meet with the pistons no way he goes back to Detroit other then a visiting player

He would if they front up with a bag (not that I want them to).

The front office is entirely different so don't think there would be any hard feelings.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,767

Post#52 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 am

Shock Defeat wrote:He should have tested FA. He would make a lot more money.

From who though? Detroit for sure, maybe Orlando? Though you’d have to think Orlando goes after Monk if they open up their cap room and go after a shooter. Am I missing any other team with room that would go after him?
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,022

Post#53 » by Richard4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 am

kenwood3333 wrote:If you replace Allen with Austin Reeves, who signed a 53m/4 year deal last year, I expect the team remain where they are record wise. So this is an overpaid.

Reeves new contract doesn't count.

His salary was limited by the rookie scale in Year 1 and 2.

His 4th year is PO and he should opt out.

Besides, any higher offer should be matched by the Lakers. It would be a waste of time for the few teams that had cap space last offseason.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 422

Post#54 » by ghillphx » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 am

Revived wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
ghillphx wrote:What is he tore his ACL during the playoffs? Your logic has failed for many men before him. Look it up.

Plus once PHX sees how bad Allen is in the postseason they will immediately regret this decision. He cashed in at the right time.

What makes you think he’ll be bad in the playoffs? The gravity Booker/Durant/Beal create is lot different than what Middleton/Giannis/Holliday creates.

Dudes just speaking nonsense.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,877

Post#55 » by JJ_PR » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:14 pm

I'm surprised the Suns gave him that extension, considering how their payroll looks like. It's not a huge overpay though.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,787

Post#56 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

ghillphx wrote:
Revived wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Plus once PHX sees how bad Allen is in the postseason they will immediately regret this decision. He cashed in at the right time.

What makes you think he’ll be bad in the playoffs? The gravity Booker/Durant/Beal create is lot different than what Middleton/Giannis/Holliday creates.

It’s not nonsense. Allen has had real defensive issues in the playoffs. No one is questioning his offense.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,465

Post#57 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:24 pm

magee wrote:The Flat State Income Tax in Arizona plays a part into that contract, as well. The only other team that could've given him a better deal, as least tax wise for the value of his contract, would've been the Orlando Magic, since Florida is the only state in the NBA with no Income Tax.

That being said, $300+ Milli in penalties to have a first round exit is gonna be a rough pill to swallow in a couple years. He's gonna have to look at trading Devin Booker at some point, since he's the only player who can get the most value back between him, Durant and Beal.

Back to Allen. Well deserved contract. Happy for him.

The notion that they will trade Booker is insane.

If anything they will trade KD he's near the end of his career and can still get back good value. They are building around Booker.
Revived
RealGM

Post#58 » by Revived » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

magee wrote:The Flat State Income Tax in Arizona plays a part into that contract, as well. The only other team that could've given him a better deal, as least tax wise for the value of his contract, would've been the Orlando Magic, since Florida is the only state in the NBA with no Income Tax.

This isn’t true. Texas doesn’t have state income tax either. And same for Tennessee I believe (Memphis).
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#59 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
ghillphx wrote:
Revived wrote:What makes you think he’ll be bad in the playoffs? The gravity Booker/Durant/Beal create is lot different than what Middleton/Giannis/Holliday creates.

It’s not nonsense. Allen has had real defensive issues in the playoffs. No one is questioning his offense.

Just one game but Allen did exactly what he did for Milwaukee in the playoffs before he got hurt. So far all I see is a player who shows up in the regular season but not in the playoffs.....he has at least 3-6 games to prove me wrong.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,217

Post#60 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:17 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Just one game but Allen did exactly what he did for Milwaukee in the playoffs before he got hurt. So far all I see is a player who shows up in the regular season but not in the playoffs.....he has at least 3-6 games to prove me wrong.

It wasn't even a game, it was barely over one *half*.

C'mon.

Return to The General Board