Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official]

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,105

Re: Grayson Allen Extension [WOJ Official] 

Post#61 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:17 pm

Profound23 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
ghillphx wrote:
Dudes just speaking nonsense.

It’s not nonsense. Allen has had real defensive issues in the playoffs. No one is questioning his offense.

Just one game but Allen did exactly what he did for Milwaukee in the playoffs before he got hurt. So far all I see is a player who shows up in the regular season but not in the playoffs.....he has at least 3-6 games to prove me wrong.

Guys that rarely create their own shot are easier to handle in the playoffs. The worst part is, none of Phoenix’s stars are above-average passers. Such an odd team.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#62 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:21 pm

Also I hope he is ok. Injuries suck.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,610

Post#63 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:22 pm

Grayson Allen with the Bucks did exactly what they hoped he'd do in the playoffs -- he made a high percentage of his 3's but even more importantly he had to be guarded closely opening up space for Giannis and Middleton.

Today he also provided spacing before getting hurt. Just because he didn't make any shots and didn't take many, the Wolves were certainly not giving him any open looks opening up room for KD and Booker. The real issue is Booker didn't show up and KD isn't going to beat a team as good as Minnesota by himself.

Nothing about today is a referendum on Allen. Bizarre to try and make it so.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
mako
Junior
And1: 329

Post#64 » by mako » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:29 pm

Good deal for the suns, not so much for grayson. Feels like he could have gotten 20 mil per year with how much teams are overpaying.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#65 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:30 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Grayson Allen with the Bucks did exactly what they hoped he'd do in the playoffs -- he made a high percentage of his 3's but even more importantly he had to be guarded closely opening up space for Giannis and Middleton.

Today he also provided spacing before getting hurt. Just because he didn't make any shots and didn't take many, the Wolves were certainly not giving him any open looks opening up room for KD and Booker. The real issue is Booker didn't show up and KD isn't going to beat a team as good as Minnesota by himself.

Not bizarre at all. Paying above MLE (in the future) for a guy that might best be described as “someone to keep your eye on” in the playoffs isn’t great. I get that he helps spacing. You just won’t be getting your money’s worth, particularly on a team with two superstars that are clearly shoot-first, and a massive payroll problem to begin with.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,641

Post#66 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:56 pm

Profound23 wrote:Also I hope he is ok. Injuries suck.

I hope he isn't okay.

He goes onto the court with the intent to injure other players, **** him. If he never steps foot on a basketball court again, the sport would be better for it.
Texas Chuck

Post#67 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:15 pm

tmorgan wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Grayson Allen with the Bucks did exactly what they hoped he'd do in the playoffs -- he made a high percentage of his 3's but even more importantly he had to be guarded closely opening up space for Giannis and Middleton.

Not bizarre at all. Paying above MLE (in the future) for a guy that might best be described as “someone to keep your eye on” in the playoffs isn’t great. I get that he helps spacing. You just won’t be getting your money’s worth, particularly on a team with two superstars that are clearly shoot-first, and a massive payroll problem to begin with.

ITs clear the new governor wants to win more than he wants to make money (in the short-term at least). With their 2nd apron issues, keeping him was paramount because they couldn't replace him. Is he worth the salary and corresponding tax? Of course not. But if Mat decides that's a non-issue than it was absolutely the right decision to pay him this.

And Allen is a good solid player. If we ignored the tax, he's absolutely worth that contract. That's low-end starter money and he's definitely a starting caliber player.

If you want to debate the construction of the roster that's a separate debate and its the Beal deal that hurts them there.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#68 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

ITs clear the new governor wants to win more than he wants to make money (in the short-term at least). With their 2nd apron issues, keeping him was paramount because they couldn't replace him. Is he worth the salary and corresponding tax? Of course not. But if Mat decides that's a non-issue than it was absolutely the right decision to pay him this.

And Allen is a good solid player. If we ignored the tax, he's absolutely worth that contract. That's low-end starter money and he's definitely a starting caliber player.

If you want to debate the construction of the roster that's a separate debate and its the Beal deal that hurts them there.

No argument here. The Beal deal is the issue. But that blunder already happened. It is, as you say, Ishiba’s money to burn.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,788

Post#69 » by ConSarnit » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:46 am

I mean, sort of. He was attacked over and over on the defensive end and couldn’t hold up, which is the crux of the argument. You can pay him $17m and survive fine with him in the regular season. If you’re expecting that to carry over into the playoffs you’re going to be disappointed (as most Bucks fans in this thread will confirm). I get why the Suns did it but if I were a non-Suns team I wouldn’t have wanted to give him anything more than the MLE because if you’re a contender his limitations are going to show up in the playoffs.

I agree that todays game shouldn’t end the referendum but it didn’t do anything to put the questions about Allen to rest.
Texas Chuck

Post#70 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:47 pm

He's not a great defender but he's also not really a target (on most teams). Of course you are going to go at him rather than Jrue, but he's not some turnstyle out there.

He's a good solid player. Not great. But plays his role fine. Would you rather have pre-injury West Matthews or 28 year old Danny Green or Doug Christie? Of course. But the Suns couldn't replace him, don't have better options to play in front of him, and Mat is willing to pay the bill.

Just bizarre to think this is any way a bad decision for the Suns. It would be amazing to have a top 6 of two way players like Boston. Also nearly impossible to do in today's cap environment. You have to make do. Grayson Allen is far from the Suns biggest issue and he absolutely wasn't the Bucks issue.

Funny to me how some of you want to blame the 5th most important player whenever a team loses when that's so rarely the case. The exception for the Bucks specifically was Eric Bledsoe who was the reason they weren't having playoff success. They realized that and upgraded to Jrue. But Allen? He was fine.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#71 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 am

ConSarnit wrote:
ghillphx wrote:
Revived wrote:What makes you think he’ll be bad in the playoffs? The gravity Booker/Durant/Beal create is lot different than what Middleton/Giannis/Holliday creates.

It’s not nonsense. Allen has had real defensive issues in the playoffs. No one is questioning his offense.

DonaldSanders wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Just one game but Allen did exactly what he did for Milwaukee in the playoffs before he got hurt. So far all I see is a player who shows up in the regular season but not in the playoffs.....he has at least 3-6 games to prove me wrong.

It wasn't even a game, it was barely over one *half*.

C'mon.

Just two games....but still exactly what I've always seen from Grayson in the playoffs. No different than last year or the year before that.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 714

Post#72 » by madskillz8 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:45 am

Profound23 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
ghillphx wrote:

DonaldSanders wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

C'mon.

Just two games....but still exactly what I've always seen from Grayson in the playoffs. No different than last year or the year before that.

It seems like you are happy to see your former player is struggling in another jersey as well, but at least for this game, he has +11 plus/minus than the next best Suns starter, and +24 than the very next. Not sure why he played just 18 minutes though, got benched for some reason?
Profound23
RealGM

Post#73 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 am

madskillz8 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

DonaldSanders wrote:

C'mon.

It seems like you are happy to see your former player is struggling in another jersey as well, but at least for this game, he has +11 plus/minus than the next best Suns starter, and +24 than the very next. Not sure why he played just 18 minutes though, got benched for some reason?

3 points and 3 rebounds in game 2 after 4 points and 5 rebounds in game one. I was told he would be shooting lights out and everything would be different since he is with the Suns but it's exactly the same. They said I was speaking nonsense and I don't know what I'm talking about....yet here we are.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,540

Post#74 » by My Main Man » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 am

madskillz8 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

DonaldSanders wrote:

C'mon.

He twisted his ankle real bad right before the half and never returned.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#75 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:50 am

ghillphx wrote:
Revived wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Plus once PHX sees how bad Allen is in the postseason they will immediately regret this decision. He cashed in at the right time.

What makes you think he’ll be bad in the playoffs? The gravity Booker/Durant/Beal create is lot different than what Middleton/Giannis/Holliday creates.

Just curious what your thoughts are?
Profound23
RealGM

Post#76 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:51 am

My Main Man wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

And he still had 4 pts and 5 rebounds then came back today and 3 pts and 3 rebounds in the playoffs....this is what he does.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,273

Post#77 » by GSP » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 am

Joe Harris
Kevin Huerter
Grayson Allen
Luke Kennard
Duncan Robinson

this prototype of one dimensional shooter keeps tricking teams into overpaying. They always become playoff droppers. Butts clench and cant hit shots as well w/o a free flowing stress free Rs. Cant defend which gets exposed in playoffs.

Sac Town is lucky they got Keon Ellis he will be much better for them going forward. Joe and Luke will be out of the Nba very soon. Duncan full time podcaster.

Only Nba skill being able to shoot catcn and shoot 3s is not valuable anymore. Have to at least be able to dribble, score off bounce, pass, rebound, defend......something else.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,148

Post#78 » by Dan33185 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:05 am

My Main Man wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

That was a bad injury almost looked like his ankle was bent at 90 degrees at one point.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,732

Post#79 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:06 am

GSP wrote:Joe Harris
Kevin Huerter
Grayson Allen
Luke Kennard
Duncan Robinson

this prototype of one dimensional shooter keeps tricking teams into overpaying. They always become playoff droppers. Butts clench and cant hit shots as well w/o a free flowing stress free Rs. Cant defend which gets exposed in playoffs.

Sac Town is lucky they got Keon Ellis he will be much better for them going forward. Joe and Luke will be out of the Nba very soon. Duncan full time podcaster.

Only Nba skill being able to shoot 3s is not valuable anymore. Have to at least be able to dribble, pass, rebound, defend......something else.

Kind of hard to disagree.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Profound23
RealGM

Post#80 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
GSP wrote:Joe Harris
Kevin Huerter
Grayson Allen
Luke Kennard
Duncan Robinson

Only Nba skill being able to shoot 3s is not valuable anymore. Have to at least be able to dribble, pass, rebound, defend......something else.

Kind of hard to disagree.

Add Malik Beasley to that list

Return to The General Board