Tatum All Time Playoff Scoring

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Re: Tatum All Time Playoff Scoring 

Post#61 » by xchange55 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:25 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
TheNG wrote:Total playoff stats means nothing. It benefits players who win 4-3 almost twice over players who win 4-0.

I feel this is kind of short sighted. Over a players career, you're going to have seasons where you have both. You're going to have seasons where you lose in the first round, times you win a ring and play a lot of games, hard series, short series...

This is just a simple math problem - it's not short sighted.

Giannis has played 79 playoff games and averages 26.6 ppg. Tatum only averages 23.7 ppg, but because he played in 99 games, his total exceeds Giannis'. G averages abount 12% more points per game. So the only way Tatum can tie or pass the total points is to play in 12% or more games which is the case.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,630

Post#62 » by bisme37 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:44 pm

djw wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Great player but where does Statmuse have its stats from. The thread opens with Tatum has over 2,200 po points and according to Bball Reference he now stands at 2,345.

Yeah sorry, someone corrected me/Statmuse on this yesterday. It's supposed to say 2300 points not 3000. Which still puts Tatum in the same company, but obviously the tweet is not quite right. I didn't think I had to factcheck Statmuse but I guess even bots get it wrong sometimes haha.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#63 » by bisme37 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,246

Post#64 » by KyRo23 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:04 pm

xchange55 wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
TheNG wrote:Total playoff stats means nothing. It benefits players who win 4-3 almost twice over players who win 4-0.

I feel this is kind of short sighted. Over a players career, you're going to have seasons where you have both. You're going to have seasons where you lose in the first round, times you win a ring and play a lot of games, hard series, short series...

Giannis has played 79 playoff games and averages 26.6 ppg. Tatum only averages 23.7 ppg, but because he played in 99 games, his total exceeds Giannis'. G averages abount 12% more points per game. So the only way Tatum can tie or pass the total points is to play in 12% or more games which is the case.

Well yeah… part of why playoff scoring is impressive is actually playing more games and not getting eliminated :lol:
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#65 » by bisme37 » Yesterday 5:08 pm

Hey I just remembered there's a positive Tatum thread. Pretty cool thanks again OP.

Anyway... this is good I think.

Read on Twitter
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#66 » by LordCovington33 » Yesterday 5:14 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

A big difference between Lebron’s Cavs squads (first stint) and Tatum’s though. Not often a high draft pick goes to an established team.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,405

Post#67 » by ChipotleWest » Yesterday 5:14 pm

Wasn't he making the ECF in his rookie year? Obviously the more games you play the more points you're going to score. If you do ppg he's only like 23 ppg not even anywhere close to best all time.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#68 » by bisme37 » Yesterday 5:21 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Wasn't he making the ECF in his rookie year? Obviously the more games you play the more points you're going to score. If you do ppg he's only like 23 ppg not even anywhere close to best all time.

Welp it WAS a positive Tatum thread womp womp lol.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by ChipotleWest » Yesterday 5:22 pm

bisme37 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Wasn't he making the ECF in his rookie year? Obviously the more games you play the more points you're going to score. If you do ppg he's only like 23 ppg not even anywhere close to best all time.

Hated to kill it with logic, but acting like he's the greatest playoff scorer in 6 seasons is totally misleading. Sorry to bring you back to reality.

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by ChipotleWest » Yesterday 5:36 pm

xchange55 wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:

I'm not even the first in this thread this is a Celtics fan bringing this thread back to reality.

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by ChipotleWest » Yesterday 5:38 pm

bisme37 wrote:Hey I just remembered there's a positive Tatum thread. Pretty cool thanks again OP.

Anyway... this is good I think.

See that's a real stat that Tatum and fans can hang his hat on, not just playing more games = more scoring = he's the greatest scorer. It's like Lebron being the greatest scorer because he's played 21 seasons.

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#72 » by bisme37 » Yesterday 6:01 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
bisme37 wrote:

Hated to kill it with logic, but acting like he's the greatest playoff scorer in 6 seasons is totally misleading. Sorry to bring you back to reality.

I mean yes Tatum led his team to Game 7 of the ECFs as a rookie. Sick burn, man.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by ChipotleWest » Yesterday 6:03 pm

bisme37 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
bisme37 wrote:

I mean yes Tatum led his team to Game 7 of the ECFs as a rookie. Sick burn, man.

Yeah cool and that isn't misleading, this thread is though.

If someone plays say 30 more playoff games than everyone else in the same amount of time and no one ever scores 0 points in a game what do you think is going to happen? PPG should always be the standard to go by, not just who plays the most.

TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,260

Post#74 » by TheSheriff » Yesterday 6:39 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

If someone plays say 30 more playoff games than everyone else in the same amount of time and no one ever scores 0 points in a game what do you think is going to happen? PPG should always be the standard to go by, not just who plays the most.

Tatum playing more games adds to his legacy, it is not an asterisk. He plays more games in the playoffs because he has won more playoff series than the others. He should be lauded for that.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by ChipotleWest » Yesterday 6:44 pm

TheSheriff wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
bisme37 wrote:

Tatum playing more games adds to his legacy, it is not an asterisk. He plays more games in the playoffs because he has won more playoff series than the others. He should be lauded for that.

We're not talking about winning more playoff games in this thread, the discussion is how much he scored in 6 seasons in the playoffs, not how many playoff series he won. Of course it's not an asterisk to win a lot of playoff games no one said that. Total strawman argument.

CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,567

Post#76 » by CoP » Yesterday 6:46 pm

bisme37 wrote:I mean yes Tatum led his team to Game 7 of the ECFs as a rookie. Sick burn, man.

Yep, as a rookie he was the leading scorer on a team that went 7 games with the Cavs in the ECF, whose other playoff starters were
- Terry Rozier
- Jaylen Brown in his 2nd season
- Horford
- Aron Baynes

Only one of those teammates, Horford, was top 20 in VORP (he was 19th) or top 30 in RAPM (27th). Stacked team.

Return to The General Board