2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Thunder in 4
16%
Thunder in 5
39%
Thunder in 6
27%
Thunder in 7
6%
Pelicans in 4
2%
Pelicans in 5
1%
Pelicans in 6
4%
Pelicans in 7
5%

Total votes: 125

Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,455

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1081 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:50 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Damn, CJ is 0-5. He is in a hell of a slump.

Thats not even the issue. Hes completely checked out defensively

He's 0-7 to start the game. I can tell the game plan was to try and get him going, but this is not the way to do it.

Again, hes worse defensively, shots will come at whatever rate they come. But hes just given up on the other end
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,755

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1082 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:52 pm

Sometimes I feel like Herb and Trey Murphy are the Pelicans best players moving forward.

It's not hard to picture a scenario where the Pelicans move off Ingram, Zion can't get over his health issues, and obviously CJ isn't a long term thing. Dyson Daniels with Herb and Murphy feels more like the core in that sense.

Also, those guys can fit in with any kind of player. Where right now the Pelicans prioritize guys who are so difficult to fit with. CJ needs the ball and can't play defense, Ingram needs the ball and doesn't always do enough non-scoring stuff, Zion needs the ball and has serious limitations as a shooter and defender, Valanciunas needs the ball and is a mediocre rim protector who needs to play the 5.

The team is currently built around 4 guys with serious fit issues but they don't have to be.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1083 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:52 pm

Ingram you **** ****, SHOOT THE **** 3 WHEN THEY GO UNDER ON THE HIGH SCREEN YOU IDIOT
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
BCbudraptorfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,040

Post#1084 » by BCbudraptorfan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

its nice hearing jamal crawford on the broadcast
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,921

Post#1086 » by azcatz11 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:Thats not even the issue. Hes completely checked out defensively

He's 0-7 to start the game. I can tell the game plan was to try and get him going, but this is not the way to do it.

Again, hes worse defensively, shots will come at whatever rate they come. But hes just given up on the other end

I’m curious your thoughts on Willie green? The floor is yours
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1087 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 pm

OKC has an underrated deep rotation. Guys like Jaylin Williams, Kenrich Williams, Isaiah Joe, Aaron Wiggins, and Cason Wallace can all expand their minutes if need be, or if matchups dictate a bigger need for one of them. Then there's Hayward if he can prove he has something left.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1088 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:56 pm

Funcrusher wrote:Ingram you **** ****, SHOOT THE **** 3 WHEN THEY GO UNDER ON THE HIGH SCREEN YOU IDIOT

Such a stubborn player. He wants to play a certain way and refuses to take what the defense gives him.

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,531

Post#1089 » by Dirk » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:57 pm

SGA gets some ridiculous calls.
60/21/10
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1090 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Sometimes I feel like Herb and Trey Murphy are the Pelicans best players moving forward.

It's not hard to picture a scenario where the Pelicans move off Ingram, Zion can't get over his health issues, and obviously CJ isn't a long term thing. Dyson Daniels with Herb and Murphy feels more like the core in that sense.

Also, those guys can fit in with any kind of player. Where right now the Pelicans prioritize guys who are so difficult to fit with. CJ needs the ball and can't play defense, Ingram needs the ball and doesn't always do enough non-scoring stuff, Zion needs the ball and has serious limitations as a shooter and defender, Valanciunas needs the ball and is a mediocre rim protector who needs to play the 5.

The team is currently built around 4 guys with serious fit issues but they don't have to be.

What limitations does Zion have as a defender? Since his sophomore year hes been at least a net neutral defender, im so **** tired of this narrative. He also isnt even a ball dominant player like you make him out to be :roll:
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,300

Post#1091 » by ciueli » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
ciueli wrote:Why are there so many empty seats, this is a playoff game. What is going on with New Orleans fans?

Were in franchise purgatory, Ingram and CJ sucks, Zions injured, our gm is terrible, our owner is terrible. Now ask that question again

There are lots of other fans of other teams that would love for their team to be in the playoffs right now, even if it means a guaranteed first round exit. Saying you have no chance to win is a poor excuse, I don’t see other teams that are guaranteed to lose in the first round having this problem.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,698

Post#1092 » by Patches Perry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 pm

Alvarado great flop to get SGAs 2nd foul. Hopefully Jdub can get going in these minutes without SGA.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1093 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

I’m curious your thoughts on Willie green? The floor is yours

Meh, hes probably not the right coach for us at the moment x's and o's wise and hes overly defensive minded when our roster has more offensive talent than the former, but hes learning i guess? I dunno, he's just meh atm, maybe that changes soon idk :dontknow:
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1094 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Sometimes I feel like Herb and Trey Murphy are the Pelicans best players moving forward.

What limitations does Zion have as a defender? Since his sophomore year hes been at least a net neutral defender, im so **** tired of this narrative. He also isnt even a ball dominant player like you make him out to be :roll:

I didn't call him bad but he does have limitations as a 6'6" power forward with limited lateral mobility and mediocre rim defense.

I don't think Zion needs to be ball dominant. He's a monster source of rim pressure no matter what. But you want to make sure he gets his touches, and obviously he's not going to space the floor for other people. He should be at the center of what you do on offense. That's not a bad thing, I'm just mentioning it more as an awkward mesh with Ingram, CJ, and Val.

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,119

Post#1096 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 pm

Okay Herb. I like the aggression. Thunder weathering the storm.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1097 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:

I didn't call him bad but he does have limitations as a 6'6" power forward with limited lateral mobility and mediocre rim defense.

I don't think Zion needs to be ball dominant. He's a monster source of rim pressure no matter what. But you want to make sure he gets his touches, and obviously he's not going to space the floor for other people. He should be at the center of what you do on offense. That's not a bad thing, I'm just mentioning it more as an awkward mesh with Ingram, CJ, and Val.

Ok, nevermind, i apologize if i was rude in any case. Im in a bad mood watching Ingram be a homeless DeMar DeRozan :lol:

I will say, i think Zion has been a net neutral defensively overall since his 2nd year, BUT, his defense does seriously fluctuate based on his weight, which obviously has been an issue at times. I actually think at peak shape his lateral agility is great, he'll always have some trouble consistenly flipping his hips and changing direction suddenly, but purely when it comes to moving his feet on an island when lean and with energy to expend he can do it, ive seen it, at Duke and in the NBA
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1098 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

Not on Chet, Herb.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1099 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:What limitations does Zion have as a defender? Since his sophomore year hes been at least a net neutral defender, im so **** tired of this narrative. He also isnt even a ball dominant player like you make him out to be :roll:

Ok, nevermind, i apologize if i was rude in any case. Im in a bad mood watching Ingram be a homeless DeMar DeRozan :lol:

I will say, i think Zion has been a net neutral defensively overall since his 2nd year, BUT, his defense does seriously fluctuate based on his weight, which obviously has been an issue at times. I actually think at peak shape his lateral agility is great, he'll always have some trouble consistenly flipping his hips and changing direction suddenly, but purely when it comes to moving his feet on an island when lean and with energy to expend he can do it, ive seen it, at Duke and in the NBA

Very Tall and Long Homeless Derozan.
I had big hopes for Zion's defense because of how he looked at Duke, but it's like you say, sometimes he's stuck with limited mobility.

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#1100 » by ForeverTFC » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 pm

Funcrusher wrote:Ok, nevermind, i apologize if i was rude in any case. Im in a bad mood watching Ingram be a homeless DeMar DeRozan :lol:

Homeless DeRozan is extremely disrespectful yet so on point :lol:

Well done

Return to The General Board