2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Thunder in 4
16%
Thunder in 5
39%
Thunder in 6
27%
Thunder in 7
6%
Pelicans in 4
2%
Pelicans in 5
1%
Pelicans in 6
4%
Pelicans in 7
5%

Total votes: 125

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,213

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1121 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:28 pm

Ingram don't even want the ball anymore.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,978

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1122 » by azcatz11 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

Giddey is basically the same player as Kyle Anderson
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,464

Post#1123 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

durden_tyler wrote:Oops. Thought Pels will at least fight hard this game. i guess not.

Ingram about to cry again, Dort destroying him on BOTH ends too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much you wanna bet he doesnt go up to the podium today?
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,448

Post#1125 » by Airmiess » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

With CJ's defense the only way he can be an impact player is to be red hot, otherwise its a wash.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,768

Post#1126 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

Airmiess wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:Its such a shame, because if he even shot 3s at the rate of a say, Kevin Durant, who doesnt even model his game on 3s and is like the one non rim-dependant wing who is (or was) an offensive hub, he would be so much better. But he's clear
rly become stubborn and frankly arrogant wrt his shot selection...

He's got a bit of the Carmelo syndrome where he only wants to do the glamorous cool stuff (iso shot creation). Ingram is extra frustrating because he shows serious flashes of all-around play as a point forward and long armed defender.

Instead he plays basketball like he's a youtuber showing off his "bag" and giving the minimum effort to the other parts of the game.

Doesn't Tatum have some of the same traits ? the only difference is talent between those 3.

A little bit but Tatum is an excellent defender and has put a lot of effort into expanding his driving game. I don't think Tatum has ever flashed the same playmaking potential. Ingram for brief stretches (going all the way to LA before he could shoot) really looked like he could play point guard, but he's just let this part of his game stagnate to focus on getting them tough buckets.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#1127 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm

Airmiess wrote:Dort looking like prime Raja Bell out there

I was telling cupcakesnake in the defense POY of the year thread that Lu Dort was on the same tier as Jalen McDaniels and Alex Caruso. He's gonna make Luka's life a living hell. And his ability to not be screened is Tony Allen-esque.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,061

Post#1128 » by Potential » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm

3 west series about to be 3-0 and Mavs are most likely to go up 3-1. Looks like the east is where the excitement is
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 411

Post#1129 » by Bloodbather » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Sometimes I feel like Herb and Trey Murphy are the Pelicans best players moving forward.

It's not hard to picture a scenario where the Pelicans move off Ingram, Zion can't get over his health issues, and obviously CJ isn't a long term thing. Dyson Daniels with Herb and Murphy feels more like the core in that sense.

Also, those guys can fit in with any kind of player. Where right now the Pelicans prioritize guys who are so difficult to fit with. CJ needs the ball and can't play defense, Ingram needs the ball and doesn't always do enough non-scoring stuff, Zion needs the ball and has serious limitations as a shooter and defender, Valanciunas needs the ball and is a mediocre rim protector who needs to play the 5.

The team is currently built around 4 guys with serious fit issues but they don't have to be.

So much talent on the team, but the roster is in dire need of reshaping. They need to get rid of CJ and Val and get pieces that fit better. I'd actually consider giving Zion a shot at PG with a lineup of Zion, Murphy, Ingram, Herb, and a center that can protect the rim and is respectable from three.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1130 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Giddey is basically the same player as Kyle Anderson

SloMo isn't quite the same level of passer as Giddey and is an even worse shooter. On the flipside SloMo has a 7'3" wingspan so he brings a lot more on defense.

Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1131 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 pm

Bloodbather wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Sometimes I feel like Herb and Trey Murphy are the Pelicans best players moving forward.

It's not hard to picture a scenario where the Pelicans move off Ingram, Zion can't get over his health issues, and obviously CJ isn't a long term thing. Dyson Daniels with Herb and Murphy feels more like the core in that sense.

Also, those guys can fit in with any kind of player. Where right now the Pelicans prioritize guys who are so difficult to fit with. CJ needs the ball and can't play defense, Ingram needs the ball and doesn't always do enough non-scoring stuff, Zion needs the ball and has serious limitations as a shooter and defender, Valanciunas needs the ball and is a mediocre rim protector who needs to play the 5.

The team is currently built around 4 guys with serious fit issues but they don't have to be.

So much talent on the team, but the roster is in dire need of reshaping. They need to get rid of CJ and Val and get pieces that fit better. I'd actually consider giving Zion a shot at PG with a lineup of Zion, Murphy, Ingram, Herb, and a center that can protect the rim and is respectable from three.

Point blank, after this series, BI can not be on this team anymore
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#1132 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:

I was telling cupcakesnake in the defense POY of the year thread that Lu Dort was on the same tier as Jalen McDaniels and Alex Caruso. He's gonna make Luka's life a living hell. And his ability to not be screened is Tony Allen-esque.

I think in terms of pure man-to-man defense, Dort is as good as it gets. McDaniels is a lot taller so gives you a little bit more rim protection, and Caruso does a little more and a helping maniac who disrupts all over the floor.

I have JMD and Caruso above Dort in terms of overall defensive impact, but Dort is still amongst the best defenders in the league, no question.

Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1133 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 pm

Noooooooooo!!! AT&T Shai/Chet commercial on my screen again :banghead:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,104

Post#1134 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Ingram don't even want the ball anymore.

Overcooked noodle body language and energy.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,772

Post#1135 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:My son is also named Dort

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh! A joke! I get jokes!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,104

Post#1136 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm

Funcrusher wrote:Noooooooooo!!! AT&T Shai/Chet commercial on my screen again :banghead:

SOOOOOO soooo so supremely lame.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#1137 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

I think in terms of pure man-to-man defense, Dort is as good as it gets. McDaniels is a lot taller so gives you a little bit more rim protection, and Caruso does a little more and a helping maniac who disrupts all over the floor.

I have JMD and Caruso above Dort in terms of overall defensive impact, but Dort is still amongst the best defenders in the league, no question.

I watched Dort have Jamal Murray in jail twice this year. What he's doing to Ingram doesn't surprise me.
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,549

Post#1138 » by cjx » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm

Salutations my valorous RealGM fam,

Your Official RealGM Fam All-NBA Team for April 27th ...

> Lu Dort
> Franz Wagner
> Nikola Jokic :king:
> Anthony Edwards
> SGA
HM: Luka Doncic

It is what it is ...
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,772

Post#1139 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Giddey is basically the same player as Kyle Anderson

Wow, that's eerie. Ten minutes ago I was trying to envision his ideal role, and the two names I came up with as reference points were current James Harden and Kyle Anderson.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 411

Post#1140 » by Bloodbather » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:

Point blank, after this series, BI can not be on this team anymore

Wouldn't give up on BI, that sort of triple threat wing play isn't easy to find. They need pieces that complement him and Zion better. Murphy, Herb, and Daniels fit the mold, but they need a different profile at C and to move on from CJ.

Return to The General Board