2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Thunder in 4
16%
Thunder in 5
39%
Thunder in 6
27%
Thunder in 7
6%
Pelicans in 4
2%
Pelicans in 5
1%
Pelicans in 6
4%
Pelicans in 7
5%

Total votes: 125

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,926

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1241 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:37 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:Damn I was wrong lol. I thought Pelicans defense would keep this to a sub 10 point OKC win. Denver is favored out west but OKC or Minny COULD win the west. I still think OKC has an edge compared to Minny due to SGA>Edwards for me.

The biggest edge OKC has is that one of the two best teams will be eliminated in Round 2. (HCA is the second biggest.)

I agree OKC can in theory win the West, but I think MIN is so much better than them that I think MIN is more likely to win the West, even facing Denver in Round 2.

As Round 1 got underway, I settled on the idea that there are only three good bets to win it all: DEN, BOS, and MIN.

If we played the Playoffs 1,000 times, yes, OKC would win a title, but I think there are only three teams that make up like 98% of the probability pie.

I'm not sure Dallas will be an underdog against OKC. They have versatile bigs which hurts us a lot. Luka/Kyrie is also a lot of firepower.

Naw. Dallas gets beaten in 6 vs OKC. Bank that. Dallas isn’t even playing well at all in round 1. They are being carried by young bigs and role players mostly as Luka is shooting like 38/26 splits. OKC’s defense and athleticism will overwhelm Dallas.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,772

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1242 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:38 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:Damn I was wrong lol. I thought Pelicans defense would keep this to a sub 10 point OKC win. Denver is favored out west but OKC or Minny COULD win the west. I still think OKC has an edge compared to Minny due to SGA>Edwards for me.

The biggest edge OKC has is that one of the two best teams will be eliminated in Round 2. (HCA is the second biggest.)

I agree OKC can in theory win the West, but I think MIN is so much better than them that I think MIN is more likely to win the West, even facing Denver in Round 2.

As Round 1 got underway, I settled on the idea that there are only three good bets to win it all: DEN, BOS, and MIN.

If we played the Playoffs 1,000 times, yes, OKC would win a title, but I think there are only three teams that make up like 98% of the probability pie.

I'm not sure Dallas will be an underdog against OKC. They have versatile bigs which hurts us a lot. Luka/Kyrie is also a lot of firepower.

Agree. OKC is more consistent, but I think Dallas has the higher ceiling in a series. Who I'd pick would depend on the time of the pick.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#1243 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

Naw. Dallas gets beaten in 6 vs OKC. Bank that. Dallas isn’t even playing well at all in round 1. They are being carried by young bigs and role players mostly as Luka is shooting like 38/26 splits. OKC’s defense and athleticism will overwhelm Dallas.

Otoh, they are being carried by young bigs and role players mostly as Luka is shooting like 38/26 splits.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,464

Post#1244 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
NOP has been missing that same player for every single season of his career lol

Me when i make **** up

Sorry Zion hasn’t panned out buddy.

I have no response to that
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,596

Post#1245 » by Bob8 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Patches Perry wrote:This was the game I thought Pelicans would get, but with Giddey and Dort going 8-14 from three, nobody will beat OKC.

Pelicans are scoring 80 because Giddey and Dort are hot for 3?
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,424

Post#1246 » by RunOKC » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:3 sweeps basically in the west. For all this “the west is so amazing top to bottom” it’s not showing like it. 1,2 and 3 see all 3-0. Only 4/5 seed competitive.

Suns - No bench, Old and Slow on Defense, No Facilitator. Saw this coming from miles away personally.

Pelicans - With Zion this series is completely different let's not kid ourselves. They take game 1 and who knows what happens after that.

Lakers - Had their chances the first two games and lost in demoralizing fashion. I really thought LA would throw versus the Pelicans looking at the bigger picture. 50/50 series vs OKC due to mismatches or an almost guaranteed loss against a team you lost 8 straight times? For anyone who says "they'd have to beat Denver later on anyways"- anything can happen. The Wolves get another shot at them after looking competitive the year before, and you never know about injuries.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1247 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
NOP has been missing that same player for every single season of his career lol

Me when i make **** up

Are you questioning whether Zion has been out for every potential play-in/playoff game of his career?

Not even what was said lmao

Also lame to act like its all on this guy. This roster outside of him is mid
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,119

Post#1248 » by picc » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
picc wrote:Really wish Sac won thag play in game. Feel like we’d have a much more entertaining series.

I’n sure it has a lot to do with their best player being hurt. I think if Zion was available, the games would be a lot closer.

100%

But he is hurt, so I wish Sac had won.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#1249 » by Funcrusher » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:43 pm

Reggie must seriously have a speech impediment
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,580

Post#1250 » by Dirk » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Dirk wrote:Antonio Daniels is livid with the Pelicans.

What's he saying?

Hes one of my favs on nba radio but is such a homer on broadcasts usually

When I was watching he was frustrated and complimentary of the ability of the Thunder to avoid the screens.
60/21/10
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,267

Post#1251 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 pm

TNT has bad graphics. They don't even know Jalen Williams and Chet were in the same draft.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,596

Post#1252 » by Bob8 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Otoh, they are being carried by young bigs and role players mostly as Luka is shooting like 38/26 splits.

That makes Mavs only more dangerous not less. ;)
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,328

Post#1253 » by hippesthippo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm

Feeling good about that OKC sweep!

Pelicans have nobody to get them easy shots with Zion out. CJ ain't it and Ingram doesn't draw doubles.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,328

Post#1254 » by hippesthippo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm

Willie Green is kind of an idiot though. JV has outplayed Nance. JV's minutes have been good basketball. Nance is out there running around like a chicken with his head cutoff.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,151

Post#1255 » by ItsDanger » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm

Daniels and Hawkins not in rotation is a waste of assets. If that continues, might as well trade them.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#1256 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

What makes Minny better in your opinion? Because both are top 5 on both ends. I just think the top end of OKC are far superior, especially as two way players. Gobert is elite defensively, but isn’t an offensive threat. Towns is an offensive threat but shrinks in big moments and isn’t a good defender. Edwards is still inefficient as a scorer a lot of the time and isn’t a great defender.

SGA, Chet and Williams are all 3 what I’d classify as 2 way players. Dort is gonna **** Edwards up. Probably hold him to 30% shooting in a series.

Well, for starters, I disagree that Gobert isn't an offensive threat; I disagree that Towns will shrink in big moments (I believe I've seen a change in him as a person this season); I disagree that Towns isn't a good defender (again, this 2024); and I disagree that Edwards isn't a good defender. The only point I agree with on those three players (other than Gobert being good defensively) is that Edwards is sometimes inefficient. But, to answer your question more generally, I have so much faith in MIN's defense, that every efficient game from Edwards is almost a lock as a win. If he gives you two, three, or four efficient games, that's one heck of a head start in a series. And that's only one of the ways MIN can win.

Good as OKC is, I think the physicality and/or veteran presence of MIN would separate the two teams in a series. Maybe we'll find out!
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#1257 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm

Bob8 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

My point exactly.
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,106

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 3-0) 

Post#1258 » by damanick10 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 pm

I'm all for team unity but these team interviews from OKC are getting cringe as hell.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,263

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 3-0) 

Post#1259 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 pm

LMAO even the NBA is tired of the OKC postgame cringe interviews.

They cut them off air because they took so long smh
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,926

Post#1260 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

My point exactly.

Against an old, unathletic Clippers team sure.. but against OKC which is far more athletic, can run you out of the gym and has a rim protector like Chet, I just don’t see guys like Lively getting 7 dunks in a game on putbacks.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board