No free pass for Lebron

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,461

Re: No free pass for Lebron 

Post#321 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:03 am

dygaction wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:He should free agent sign in Philly.

Embiid > Davis
Maxey > Reaves
76ers assets > Lakers assets (for GM James purposes)
East EASIER than West

Philly big 4: Embiid | James | Maxey | All-In trade player X

CP3/Harden/Klay are all going to be on the market, maybe for cheap

CP3 and Klay are cooked.

LAC will likely re-sign Harden.
AlexanderRight
Senior
And1: 767

Post#322 » by AlexanderRight » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:11 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:Most of that can be covered by being a big star in a weaker league. Like the Wilt argument. The accolades are media voted and Jordan was pushed as the guy to take the NBA to the next level.

You can pick whatever you want to support your guy. These arguments are dumb because they presume there is a right answer

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app

So your entire argument is basically MJ having superior stats, more individual and team accomplishments in less time with less help doesn’t matter cause you claim the league is tougher now and because the media glazed MJ for his awards. That's not very convincing. Who exactly deserves MJ’s All D 1st teams and MVPs over him? Name a better defensive SG than him in the 90s. Name an MVP award he didn't deserve. That sounds like a fool's errand to me.

And besides, an argument for why you think the league is tougher now isn’t an argument for why an individual player is better than another individual player. A player isn’t automatically greater than another just because he played in a different era that you claim is weaker. Wilt never had the team success. Russell never and the individual stats (at least offensively) and again, the man won with 12 HOFers in an 8 team league. MJ had everything, and then some.

You should compare the players, not the eras. MJ stood taller in his era than Lebron stood in his both individually and team wise. Even if I conceded that this era was "better", you're still relying on the hypothetical that MJ wouldn't have adapted to today's game as well as Lebron did or dare I say even better. You're assuming that MJ wouldn't flourish in today's league but a GOAT argument cannot be based off assumptions and excuses.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 575

Post#323 » by Gregoire » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 am

Interesting to see LeBron clutch shots (go ahead to tie in last 25 sec) stats after todays missed 3pt 15 sec left.
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,519

Post#324 » by elchengue20 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 am

Being by far the best 39 year old/year 21 player to have ever played in the league is good for his GOAT legacy long term.

Also hes still acumulating stats and accolades while hes at it. Beating the champs would just be the cherry on top, but it doesnt do any damage if he loses. Hes just playing with house money at this point.

You really dont have a clue if you think otherwise.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 575

Post#325 » by Gregoire » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 am

elchengue20 wrote:Being by far the best 39 year old/year 21 player to have ever played in the league is good for his GOAT legacy long term.

Also hes still acumulating stats and accolades while hes at it. Beating the champs would just be the cherry on top, but it doesnt do any damage if he loses. Hes just playing with house money at this point.

:banghead: :banghead: It does damage. A lot. Being loser and not winner in his 17 from 21 seasons... Its a lot.
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,860

Post#326 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 am

It’s all gravy for LeBron

Unfortunately he’s well short on the meat. But he’s got a lot of gravy
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,519

Post#327 » by Wolveswin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 pm

TheGOATRises007 wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:He should free agent sign in Philly.

Embiid > Davis
Maxey > Reaves
76ers assets > Lakers assets (for GM James purposes)
East EASIER than West

Philly big 4: Embiid | James | Maxey | All-In trade player X

CP3/Harden/Klay are all going to be on the market, maybe for cheap

CP3 and Klay are cooked.

LAC will likely re-sign Harden.

James could recruit Harden or George to leave LA and join him in Philly. Split all the cap space Philly has 50/50 (or maybe James has made enough money and will take less after one of them takes max).

CP3 takes exception level contract to play with James in Philly.

Embiid
James
George?
Maxey
Paul

OR

After Russell declines option, Lakers can S&T James, to Philly for Reed + #16 + TPE plus future 1sts as needed (James not leaving Lakers dry). James does some split of 76ers 60M in cap space with George or Harden.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,661

Post#328 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm

AlexanderRight wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Most of that can be covered by being a big star in a weaker league. Like the Wilt argument. The accolades are media voted and Jordan was pushed as the guy to take the NBA to the next level.

You can pick whatever you want to support your guy. These arguments are dumb because they presume there is a right answer

So your entire argument is basically MJ having superior stats, more individual and team accomplishments in less time with less help doesn’t matter cause you claim the league is tougher now and because the media glazed MJ for his awards. That's not very convincing. Who exactly deserves MJ’s All D 1st teams and MVPs over him? Name a better defensive SG than him in the 90s. Name an MVP award he didn't deserve. That sounds like a fool's errand to me.

And besides, an argument for why you think the league is tougher now isn’t an argument for why an individual player is better than another individual player. A player isn’t automatically greater than another just because he played in a different era that you claim is weaker. Wilt never had the team success. Russell never and the individual stats (at least offensively) and again, the man won with 12 HOFers in an 8 team league. MJ had everything, and then some.

You should compare the players, not the eras. MJ stood taller in his era than Lebron stood in his both individually and team wise. Even if I conceded that this era was "better", you're still relying on the hypothetical that MJ wouldn't have adapted to today's game as well as Lebron did or dare I say even better. You're assuming that MJ wouldn't flourish in today's league but a GOAT argument cannot be based off assumptions and excuses.
My argument is you can do whatever you want to reach whatever conclusion you want because you're arguing a fictitious title for whatever personal reasons.

Did Jordan dominate his era more than Lebron dominated his. Yes. But can you review why? Russell dominated his league more than Jordan dominated his. But you're quick to do thebhalf-assed analysis to dismiss that. Why can't that same analysis be done for Jordan's era?

Because you don't want to do the work. You want Jordan to be the GOAt for whatever reason. So just call him the GOAT. You don't have to attack folks who think it's Lebron, Kareem or anybody else. And don't pretend it's debate because you automatically dismiss any arguments that don't align with your thesis.

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,504

Post#329 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 pm

AlexanderRight wrote:

Don't quite understand that take. The media has been Lebron's story teller for 20 years. He has an entire agency of sports agents in his corner.

The media crowned Jordan for what he did. The media crowns LeBron to tell a story.
VicG
Head Coach
And1: 2,023

Post#330 » by VicG » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

Is Lebron the only NBA player to have lost in every round in the playoffs?
AlexanderRight
Senior
And1: 767

Post#331 » by AlexanderRight » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:53 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
AlexanderRight wrote:

My argument is you can do whatever you want to reach whatever conclusion you want because you're arguing a fictitious title for whatever personal reasons.

Did Jordan dominate his era more than Lebron dominated his. Yes. But can you review why? Russell dominated his league more than Jordan dominated his. But you're quick to do thebhalf-assed analysis to dismiss that. Why can't that same analysis be done for Jordan's era?

Because you don't want to do the work. You want Jordan to be the GOAt for whatever reason. So just call him the GOAT. You don't have to attack folks who think it's Lebron, Kareem or anybody else. And don't pretend it's debate because you automatically dismiss any arguments that don't align with your thesis.

I'm not even attacking you. But yes, your argument is very easy to dismiss if it is essentially "Lebron played in a tougher league/ MJ wouldn't be as good today"

I just explained to you that Russell never dominated the league from an individual performance standpoint offensively. Russell dominated from a team success standpoint but also had the luxury of playing with 12 HOFers in an 8 team league while not having to run his own offense. He was the 3rd leading scorer and sometimes 4th leading scorer on all his championship teams.

Wilt dominated individually but never had the team success.

MJ dominated indvidually AND had the team success while playing with less All Stars than both of them, including Lebron. Do you see the diffrence?
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,840

Post#332 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:58 pm

VicG wrote:Is Lebron the only NBA player to have lost in every round in the playoffs?

I dunno, i think Magic may have. Tatum?

Yea, i also get that for some remedial azz reason, some folks see that as being worse than only having lost in the first round or in conference. :crazy:
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,752

Post#333 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 pm

VicG wrote:Is Lebron the only NBA player to have lost in every round in the playoffs?

Ok, I think it's safe to say this forum has officially jumped the shark on LeBron hate. Can't make this stuff up lol.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,396

Post#334 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Not a lebron fan but it's hilarious trying to push a negative agenda when his career legacy is already set in stone.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,130

Post#335 » by EmpireFalls » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 pm

lol what a ridiculous question. Absolutely not.

Off the top of my head:

Durant
Duncan
Shaq
Drexler
Kareem

And many more
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,752

Post#336 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:

lol what a ridiculous question. Absolutely not.

Off the top of my head:

Durant
Duncan
Drexler

And many more

You missed a lot of even better players but please don't entertain questions like that.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,519

Post#337 » by elchengue20 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm

Gregoire wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Being by far the best 39 year old/year 21 player to have ever played in the league is good for his GOAT legacy long term.

:banghead: :banghead: It does damage. A lot. Being loser and not winner in his 17 from 21 seasons... Its a lot.

Yeahh you're right, he should just quit or retire like Jordan because he's too afraid of losing. That's better, don't play at all.

Also if you comeback, do it in March, so if you lose we don't count it or we give you a "free pass".
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,039

Post#338 » by KyRo23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 pm

Is LeBron the only player who has lost on every day of the week?!
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,661

Post#339 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm

And you see the fatal glow in your approach. The fact that Lebron plays in a tougher league doesn't mean that MJ wouldn't be the same player in the league. It means that team success is likely to be worse the tougher the league you are in.

You can pretend the Bulls weren't the 2017 Warriors but they were for their era. The 80s trams had broken up and the salary cap rules meant every team had two stars and a bunch of role players. Thanks to MJ and Pippen signing bad deals they were able to add at various times Rodman, Grant, Kukoc and Harper.

The Bulls won 55 games with Pippen and Grant. Two All-Stars. You couldn't keep a team like that together today.

Will you admit that much?

Showtime 80
Junior
And1: 591

Post#340 » by Showtime 80 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:And you see the fatal glow in your approach. The fact that Lebron plays in a tougher league doesn't mean that MJ wouldn't be the same player in the league. It means that team success is likely to be worse the tougher the league you are in.

You can pretend the Bulls weren't the 2017 Warriors but they were for their era. The 80s trams had broken up and the salary cap rules meant every team had two stars and a bunch of role players. Thanks to MJ and Pippen signing bad deals they were able to add at various times Rodman, Grant, Kukoc and Harper.

The Bulls won 55 games with Pippen and Grant. Two All-Stars. You couldn't keep a team like that together today.

Will you admit that much?

People “conveniently” forget that 1994 was a down year for the NBA with no clear cut dominant teams establishing themselves making it the most wide open season from 1980 to 1998.

Heck the 94’ Hawks led by the post Achilles ruptured Dominique Wilkins along with Blaylock and Augmon tied the Knicks for the best record in the East with 57 wins :P The Bulls would’ve beaten them in the playoffs easily specially with the addition of Tony Kukoc who without his late game heroics Chicago would’ve only won 52 games in the regular season and most likely gotten swept by the Knicks in the second round!

Let’s also “conveniently” forget the LeBald played virtually his whole career in a historically bad Eastern Conference matched only by the 80’s West and was only able to get over older versions of already overrated teams like the Pistons and Celtics when they got really old not to mention a 36 y/o Tim Duncan in 2013!

MJ had to deal with prime Bird’s Celtics and Bad Boy Pistons for the first 7 years of his career with a much worse squad but always managed to give Detroit a tough matchup even in defeat. However, unlike LJ he didn’t quit and go join other superstars like a coward, he stuck it out and got better every year until finally he got to the top. That’s why he’s the greatest among a ton of other things.

Shaq, Kobe, Duncan and LeBald had to wait for the great 90’s teams and players to get old or retire for them to have a chance not to mention quite a few offensive friendly rules to make life a heck of a lot easier for offensive players thus creating the “Chuck and Duck” soccer mom friendly soft NBA you see now before your eyes which nobody that has seen what real basketball looks like really respects 8-)

Return to The General Board