No free pass for Lebron

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,940

Re: No free pass for Lebron 

Post#441 » by nikster » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 am

AmIWrongDude wrote:It’s crazy how haters use ancient 39 year old Bron’s performance (still at a ridiculously high level btw) to try to support their old arguments pretending like hes still in his prime lol.

The fact that he still gets judged by GOAT standards at 39 is a testament to his greatness. No other player has ever been expected to play at this high of a level at 39 but we expect it from Bron because he’s that good.

Its funny because when he was in his actual prime, Lebrons haters thought he'd basically be our of the league at 35.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,668

Post#442 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Onlytimewilltel wrote:
AlexanderRight wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:I think you are struggling with comprehension. And I notice you have ignored my query about the 30 points. I was always talking about Jordan's three peat but I get where you're coming from and you will never consider context unless it helps Jordan so ... enjoy your idolatry, I guess.

No, I'm just revealing how moronic your argument is to the point where you can't defend it any longer. Highlighting CBA rules and salary restrictions as if those had more to do with MJ and Kobe/Shaq running the league as opposed to them just being MJ/Shaq/Kobe is a joke of an argument. It's because those were 3 of the top 10-12 players we've ever seen, not because the league was "handicapped" in fighting back.

I'll say it again. Wilt has the stats, Russell has the rings, MJ has BOTH. What don't you understand about that? The valid point against Wilt is that he didn't have enough team success even in just the context OF HIS OWN era. Russell wasn't good enough offensively even in just the context OF HIS OWN era. You don't have to place them outside their era to make valid arguments against them, but apparently that's all you can do with MJ.

Your point about more 30PPG scorers today is garbage because despite it being easier to score now, MJ still has the highest career PPG. Even higher than Wilt. So what's your point? Is averaging 30PPG for a few seasons in "today's climate" supposed to be comparable to averaging 30PPG over an entire career in the 80s-90s? Don't make me laugh bro.

That’s a dumb argument If Wilt played on those Celtics teams I could easily see him with those rings. Your team and your opposition do matter, “what don’t you understand about that?”

Also, LeBron is a heckova lot closer to Jordan in rings than Jordan is to Russell lol. And he’s got stats also. What don’t you understand about that?

Kareem Abdul jabar also has the stats and the rings, you understand that right? What don’t you understand about that?

Disclaimer: MJ is my personal goat “in my opinion only” , but once you get to top few players ever, it’s kind of stupid to ridicule anyone for having a different opinion. Several of these guys were all amazing and have decent cases, just depends on what someone values in their criteria.
It's pointless. He doesn't understand the business aspect of the sport. I think he believes Ewing,,Barkley and Miller, for example, didn't team up because of competitive spirit rather than long free agent contracts that prevented. He believes that Pippen didn't want out of his contract but couldn't get out. And he can't see what would happen if those players had shorter length contracts for a set amount of money.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,452

Post#443 » by Jables » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:23 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Onlytimewilltel wrote:
AlexanderRight wrote:No, I'm just revealing how moronic your argument is to the point where you can't defend it any longer. Highlighting CBA rules and salary restrictions as if those had more to do with MJ and Kobe/Shaq running the league as opposed to them just being MJ/Shaq/Kobe is a joke of an argument. It's because those were 3 of the top 10-12 players we've ever seen, not because the league was "handicapped" in fighting back.

I'll say it again. Wilt has the stats, Russell has the rings, MJ has BOTH. What don't you understand about that? The valid point against Wilt is that he didn't have enough team success even in just the context OF HIS OWN era. Russell wasn't good enough offensively even in just the context OF HIS OWN era. You don't have to place them outside their era to make valid arguments against them, but apparently that's all you can do with MJ.

Your point about more 30PPG scorers today is garbage because despite it being easier to score now, MJ still has the highest career PPG. Even higher than Wilt. So what's your point? Is averaging 30PPG for a few seasons in "today's climate" supposed to be comparable to averaging 30PPG over an entire career in the 80s-90s? Don't make me laugh bro.

That’s a dumb argument If Wilt played on those Celtics teams I could easily see him with those rings. Your team and your opposition do matter, “what don’t you understand about that?”

Also, LeBron is a heckova lot closer to Jordan in rings than Jordan is to Russell lol. And he’s got stats also. What don’t you understand about that?

Kareem Abdul jabar also has the stats and the rings, you understand that right? What don’t you understand about that?

Disclaimer: MJ is my personal goat “in my opinion only” , but once you get to top few players ever, it’s kind of stupid to ridicule anyone for having a different opinion. Several of these guys were all amazing and have decent cases, just depends on what someone values in their criteria.
It's pointless. He doesn't understand the business aspect of the sport. I think he believes Ewing,,Barkley and Miller, for example, didn't team up because of competitive spirit rather than long free agent contracts that prevented. He believes that Pippen didn't want out of his contract but couldn't get out. And he can't see what would happen if those players had shorter length contracts for a set amount of money.

Arguing that players from previous generations would totally make superteams in their prime if they could, isn't much of an argument. That has nothing to do with business specifically, everyone always thinks the modern incarnation of their sport is some bland, faceless inevitability, some thought the same in the early 2000's and now we think back on that era and it's absolutely wild what teams and players were doing, and many personalities are considered larger than life now. I don't believe that Ewing wanted to team up with Jordan on the Bulls, because that was actually closer to happening on the Knicks the other way around. Ewing could've left if he wanted to. In fact, Ewing was on a one year contract when they were about to team up!
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,668

Post#444 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 pm

Jables wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Onlytimewilltel wrote:

Ewing couldn't team up with Jordan on the Bulls. There was no money there
But he repeatedly asked to be sent to Miami to team with Mourning.

Mourning also tried to team up with Howard in Miami.

Arguing that players from previous generations would totally make superteams in their prime if they could, isn't much of an argument. That has nothing to do with business specifically, everyone always thinks the modern incarnation of their sport is some bland, faceless inevitability, some thought the same in the early 2000's and now we think back on that era and it's absolutely wild what teams and players were doing, and many personalities are considered larger than life now. I don't believe that Ewing wanted to team up with Jordan on the Bulls, because that was actually closer to happening on the Knicks the other way around. Ewing could've left if he wanted to. In fact, Ewing was on a one year contract when they were about to team up!
How about the fact that Barkley, Malone, Drexler Payton did it as soon as they were able to shows that they would if they could. Miller was ready to sign with the Knicks in 96 when they signed Houston and Jordan was going to sign with the Knicks if the Bulls didn't give gin 30 million.

It wasn't against a code to do it. It wasn't financially prudent most times. Now with maxes it makes sense. Contracts being capped at 5 years means people are free so much earlier too. No seven or ten year contracts.

ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,872

Post#445 » by ThatClockWork » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:04 pm

One_and_Done wrote:Lebron is 39 lol.

Some people just look for any angle to apply more hate. This is the only take that matters. Incredible if he gets past but understandable if he fails.

His supporting cast needs to step up and they did not outside of one game (and the other game with the missed calls). Realistically this should be a 2-2 series right now. Ah well.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,928

Post#446 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 pm

ThatClockWork wrote:

Some people just look for any angle to apply more hate. This is the only take that matters. Incredible if he gets past but understandable if he fails.

His supporting cast needs to step up and they did not outside of one game (and the other game with the missed calls). Realistically this should be a 2-2 series right now. Ah well.

So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39?

That is ridiculous. He is clearly still physically able and if you asked him or his followers, they would say he is still one of the best players in the league.

So, we can analyze his play like all other top players.

If he doesn’t want his play judged, he can retire.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,768

Post#447 » by infinite11285 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:06 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:

So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39?

That is ridiculous.

Such a bad faith argument. You've been hating on LeBron since he was drafted, so age is irrelevant.

But applying the Skip Bayless ‘GOAT’ standard in year 21 where he has to be free of flaw is nonsensical when considering NO player has ever been under the same standard at a similar stage of their career.

In fact, such a high standard at damn near 40 only fuels the GOAT argument.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#448 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:Some people just look for any angle to apply more hate. This is the only take that matters. Incredible if he gets past but understandable if he fails.

That is ridiculous.

Such a bad faith argument. You've been hating on LeBron since he was drafted, so age is irrelevant.

But applying the Skip Bayless ‘GOAT’ standard in year 21 where he has to be free of flaw is nonsensical when considering NO player has ever been under the same standard at a similar stage of their career.

Why do you only quote part of my post?

you are putting words into my mouth.

Where did I say he should be held to a GOAT standard?

I’m only saying he shouldn’t be exempt from criticism and that if he is considered a top player he should be judged like all other top players.

Maybe learn to read?
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,302

Post#449 » by KembaWalker » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:17 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:

That is ridiculous. He is clearly still physically able and if you asked him or his followers, they would say he is still one of the best players in the league.

If he doesn’t want his play judged, he can retire.

The people giving him a free pass now for age were the same ones giving him a free pass in his prime with “LeBron needs more help”

Some people are just sad they didn’t get to see a GOAT play and cope by tearing down everyone else
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#450 » by infinite11285 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

That is ridiculous.

I’m only saying he shouldn’t be exempt from criticism and that if he is considered a top player he should be judged like all other top players.

Maybe learn to read?

Lol learn to read? The irony—I never said LeBron is free of criticism, but that coming from YOU is rich, given your criticism is often meritless and/or is devoid of context and nuance. Especially when considering you, nor anyone, considers him a premiere (top 5) player at this stage in his career.

He's one of two players that have kept your franchise afloat since Kobe retired, but again, he's been the subject of your ire since he was drafted.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#451 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

Maybe learn to read?

Lol learn to read? The irony—I never said LeBron is free of criticism, but that coming from YOU is rich, given your criticism is often meritless and/or is devoid of context and nuance. Especially when considering you, nor anyone, considers him a premiere (top 5) player at this stage in his career.

He's one of two players that have kept your franchise afloat since Kobe retired, but again, he's been the subject of your ire since he was drafted.

I never said that you said LeBron should be free from criticism, did I? I was simply re-stating my position.

You obviously have some kind of personal issue with me.

I personally believe LeBron is still a top player in this league. He is probably top 10 or at worst top 15.

So, it is fair to judge him the same way we judge ALL top 15 players.

That position makes me a hater and really upsets you?

Edit: I apologize for saying "maybe learn how to read?" -- but you came at me really strongly just for stating my opinion that LeBron should be judged like all other top players. Can't we post our opinions without attacking each other?

There was no reason to compare me to Skip Bayless lol. And you obviously have some historical Beef with me .. . this is why I don't even post on the board anymore. Can't say anything without a hot take coming back at you.

But I wish you all the best. Sorry if i offended you with my LeBron comments over the years.
AlexanderRight
Senior
And1: 780

Post#452 » by AlexanderRight » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:39 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Jables wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:It's pointless. He doesn't understand the business aspect of the sport. I think he believes Ewing,,Barkley and Miller, for example, didn't team up because of competitive spirit rather than long free agent contracts that prevented. He believes that Pippen didn't want out of his contract but couldn't get out. And he can't see what would happen if those players had shorter length contracts for a set amount of money.

Ewing couldn't team up with Jordan on the Bulls. There was no money there
But he repeatedly asked to be sent to Miami to team with Mourning.

Mourning also tried to team up with Howard in Miami.

How about the fact that Barkley, Malone, Drexler Payton did it as soon as they were able to shows that they would if they could. Miller was ready to sign with the Knicks in 96 when they signed Houston and Jordan was going to sign with the Knicks if the Bulls didn't give gin 30 million.

It wasn't against a code to do it. It wasn't financially prudent most times. Now with maxes it makes sense. Contracts being capped at 5 years means people are free so much earlier too. No seven or ten year contracts.

Barkley CHOSE to sign a 5-year with 76ers in 88' and then CHOSE to sign a 5-year with Phoenix in 92'. That's not 7-10 years and no one forced him to do that.

Miller CHOSE a 5-year extension in 1990 and then CHOSE a 4-year in 96' and then a 3-year in 2000. That's not 7-10 years and no one forced him to do that.

Drexler CHOSE to sign a 2-year extension in 85', then extended again in 88', then extended AGAIN in 1990. No one forced him to do that.

Karl Malone CHOSE A 2-year deal in 88', a 5-year in 90', a 3-year in 95', and then 4-year in 98. Do 4-5 year deals not exist today? :lol:

The only stars who had deals higher than 5 years were Patrick Ewing and Gary Payton who were both free to leave right after their Finals appearances and chose not to. Nobody forced them to stay. None of these stars were "trapped in their prime". They all could have played their best years somewhere else or with someone else if they chose to.

The reason some of these guys teamed up later is obvious. Because they couldn't demand max deals anymore and knew playing for a ring at the end of their careers was better than playing for some low deal, just like what we see today.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#453 » by infinite11285 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:39 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Maybe learn to read?

I never said that you said LeBron should be free from criticism, did I?

You said it right here:

lakerz12 wrote:So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39?

That is ridiculous.

lakerz12 wrote:I personally believe LeBron is still a top player in this league. He is probably top 10 or at worst top 15.

In all fairness, name a single top 10-15 player under similar scrutiny at 39 years old and/or in season 21.

lakerz12 wrote:Edit: I apologize for saying "maybe learn how to read?"

I appreciate your apology, but know that my stance only opposes your posts, and not you as a person. I don't know you as a person, so I couldn't care less. Obviously implying someone can't read isn't the best approach for any level of discourse.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#454 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

You said it right here:

lakerz12 wrote:So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39?

That is ridiculous.

lakerz12 wrote:I personally believe LeBron is still a top player in this league. He is probably top 10 or at worst top 15.

In all fairness, name a single top 10-15 player under similar scrutiny at 39 years old and/or in season 21.

I appreciate your apology, but know that my stance only opposes your posts, and not you as a person. I don't know you as a person, so I couldn't care less. Obviously implying someone can't read isn't the best approach.

My post of "So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39? That is ridiculous." - - was clearly in response to ThatClockWork...

Are you the same poster with 2 usernames?

How can you expect me to keep track and have a reasonable discussion when you are taking my posts directed to another poster as directed personally to you?? Or is it well known that you have 2 usernames?

"name a single top 10-15 player under similar scrutiny at 39 years old and/or in season 21." - - name a single player who has posters using his age or something else as a reason to exempt him from criticism or lower criticism.

For saying you only oppose my posts, you sure do seem to keep a detailed record of me in your mind . . . saying that I've been hating on leBron since he was drafted lol. You do seem to think you know me.

You came at me personally before I made the reading comprehension comment. You accused me of being a lifelong LeBron hater and have some historical record of me. So for you to say you only oppose my posts here is a lie. You obviously have a problem with me.

Again, the only thing I said here was that LeBron should be held to the same standard as other top players.

For some reason that really triggered you.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,872

Post#455 » by ThatClockWork » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

You said it right here:

That is ridiculous.

I appreciate your apology, but know that my stance only opposes your posts, and not you as a person. I don't know you as a person, so I couldn't care less. Obviously implying someone can't read isn't the best approach.

My post of "So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39? That is ridiculous." - - was clearly in response to ThatClockWork...

How can you expect me to keep track and have a reasonable discussion when you are taking my posts directed to another poster as directed personally to you?? Or is it well known that you have 2 usernames?

"name a single top 10-15 player under similar scrutiny at 39 years old and/or in season 21." - - name a single player who has posters using his age or something else as a reason to exempt him from criticism or lower criticism.

For saying you only oppose my posts, you sure do seem to keep a detailed record of me in your mind . . . saying that I've been hating on leBron since he was drafted lol. You do seem to think you know me.

You came at me personally before I made the reading comprehension comment. You accused me of being a lifelong LeBron hater and have some historical record of me. So for you to say you only oppose my posts here is a lie. You obviously have a problem with me.

Again, the only thing I said here was that LeBron should be held to the same standard as other top players.

Given your posts in this thread, its safe for me to say that I don't deal with the hysterics. You badly misinterpreted my post to fuel your own narrative (lol) so I won't be engaging you at all. All the best
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#456 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 pm

ThatClockWork wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
You said it right here:

Given your posts in this thread, its safe for me to say that I don't deal with the hysterics. You badly misinterpreted my post to fuel your own narrative (lol) so I won't be engaging you at all. All the best

So for the record this was my post to you:

"So you’re basically saying that LeBron is exempt from criticism because he’s 39?

If he doesn’t want his play judged, he can retire."

I could have left out of the word ridiculous, but how is this hysterics?

Infinite11285 came along and derailed the convo by accusing me of being a life long Lebron hater, etc.

If we just stuck to the substance of the argument itself, it's not that big of a deal.

You said "this is the only take that matters" in response to the post of "Lebron is 39 lol." - - so how am I misinterpreting you?

I didn't attack you personally. I simply said it's ridiculous to imply someone is exempt from criticism in the NBA.

They are being paid tens of millions of dollars. As long as they are on the court, they are open to their play being critiqued. Even they would admit that.
OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 404

Post#457 » by OhMyGodBecky » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 pm

Stomping and yelling at his coaches/teammates during a game. Either composure is a term not in his vocabulary or he's turning into a Get Off My Lawn guy.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 20,023

Post#458 » by thebigbird » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

You said it right here:

That is ridiculous.

LeBron’s averaging 27/8/6 on 64% TS. He’s been one of the best players in the playoffs. If you were actually interested in good faith evaluation, I.e., holding him “to the same standard as other top players,” the only thing you could say is that he’s been great in the playoffs.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=LoczziaTWuqlhvyvHGT92A

But you want to hold a guy in his 21st season to prime MJ standards while simultaneously arguing he’s nowhere near Jordan as a player. It’s completely asinine.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#459 » by lakerz12 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 pm

thebigbird wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
You said it right here:

LeBron’s averaging 27/8/6 on 64% TS. He’s been one of the best players in the playoffs. If you were actually interested in good faith evaluation, I.e., holding him “to the same standard as other top players,” the only thing you could say is that he’s been great in the playoffs.

Read on Twitter

But you want to hold a guy in his 21st season to prime MJ standards while simultaneously arguing he’s nowhere near Jordan as a player. It’s completely asinine.

You're totally moving the goal posts man.

Not once did I say he should be held to prime MJ standards. Can you not put words in my mouth?

I only said he should not be exempt from criticism and he should be judged like all other top players.

I was only responding to people who every time someone points out something LeBron does wrong, they said "he's 39". And then they credit him for everything he does well.

So please try to stick to things I actually said if you're going to quote me. And if you're arguing for fairness, you should be attacking those people, not me.

I believe LeBron has been great. I just also believe that when he does something bad, he is not beyond critique just because of his age.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,400

Post#460 » by zimpy27 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Read on Twitter

You're totally moving the goal posts man.

Not once did I say he should be held to prime MJ standards. Can you not put words in my mouth?

I only said he should not be exempt from criticism and he should be judged like all other top players.

I was only responding to people who every time someone points out something LeBron does wrong, they said "he's 39". And then they credit him for everything he does well.

So please try to stick to things I actually said if you're going to quote me. And if you're arguing for fairness, you should be attacking those people, not me.

I believe LeBron has been great. I just also believe that when he does something bad, he is not beyond critique just because of his age.

LeBron so far:
27.3ppg on 64.3% TS
8.3apg, 6.3rpg, 2spg, 1.3bpg

His defense has been 2nd to Davis on Lakers too. You can't ask much more than that.

I can't even fault Lakers role players, they are doing fine besides Rui. Denver just have an amazing team that have snatched victory from defeat twice so far.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board