Better Accomplishment: Wilt Chamberlain's 2 or Larry Bird's 3?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who Ranks Higher?

Wilt Chamberlain
12%
Larry Bird
88%

Total votes: 43

SilentA
Sophomore
And1: 183

Re: Better Accomplishment: Wilt Chamberlain's 2 or Larry Bird's 3? 

Post#41 » by SilentA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 pm

I voted Bird. Both excellent players, but I'll take the more competitive league in the 80s and Bird's more diverse skillset.

One_and_Done wrote:Someone who was a pioneer should still get credit for something. That's what we have things like the HoF for. It doesn't mean we should blindly ignore the context they achieved something in. Sometimes the ability they had translates to a superior era, sometimes it doesn't. We all make this adjust already, unless you have George Mikan as the basketball GOAT; I just do it consistently. If Mikan played today he would not be anything like as dominant as in his own time, no matter how generous you are in your assumptions (personally I am not sure he'd even make the league).

A genius like Newton or Einstein can come and learn modern physics and apply their genius to new facts. They remain a genius. A caveman can't. Modern physics is too outside his abilities. You'd have to imagine him growing up in the modern era and learning things as a child like reading and math; and at that point it's too speculative because you're not talking about a caveman anymore, you're inventing a person who never existed.

I mean yes and no. Once again you're ignoring important external variables. It doesn't mean we should blindly ignore the context they achieved something in is absolutely correct but you're interpreting it backwards.

Firstly, I would agree actual caveman vs modern PhD physicist is an absurd comparison, and it would be the equivalent of random people playing the first ever games of basketball in a field in the 1890s vs today. Nobody is saying James Naismith would be the GOAT point guard at 5'10 with infinite basketball IQ because he invented the game. You agree to what I alluded to on people like Newton and Einstein (which are more applicable examples to a lot of great players who are constantly brought up, such as Wilt and Bird).

The grey area period is 50s-70s to me (though much of it is still transferrable, such as Bill Russell's athleticism, hustle, work ethic and defensive IQ), but once you get to the 80s with the 3-point line and more competition post-merger, the transferrable skillsets become a lot clearer even if the game is still vastly different. The 80s are already very comfortably into the Einstein era, per your analogy.

And finally, you also seem to fail to consider things like information advantage (which manifests in everything including coaching, video access, fitness/conditioning, skills training and more), so you only apply your logic one way.

You suggest the league today is better than the past, which it is for the most part in absolute terms, but that is only possible because of building upon knowledge from the past (one-way information advantage). Take players today and put them in the past, with all that knowledge and information erased, then where is the advantage? How can you know they will do well? You cannot. You can only look at their fundamental skills, coordination, athleticism, competitiveness, make inferences from how they approach the game and rise above the competition with technique or IQ, etc. and adjust it for coaching/league norms at the time because that's all the information they would have.

You do not seem to understand that you are inherently baking in modern information advantage into your era comparisons, which means you are just stacking the deck in the modern player's favor from the start. It's up to you how to look at things, it's all entertainment at the end of the day, but you should realize that not properly accounting for information advantage makes your analysis pretty pointless. Looking at everything from an era-relative perspective is imperfect, but it's better than the approach you seem to advocate for.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,651

Post#42 » by One_and_Done » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 pm

70sFan wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Championships are never easy. I'll add this people will often cite Lebron's win over 73 win GS as his biggest accomplishment.

Wilt IMO taking championships away from the most dominant NBA franchise in history adds great weight.

Chamberlain led a very old Lakers team over the Knicks who had 6 HOF in 72

And if those Knicks played today probably none of them are HoFers.

I have very little doubts that Walt Frazier would have been a star today, but how could you know if you've never seen him play even for a minute?

I have seen Frazier play. Between his injuries and the tougher league I doubt he'd make the HoF unless he lucked onto a multi-year champ and played a key role with them.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,878

Post#43 » by OhayoKD » Yesterday 9:22 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Championships are never easy. I'll add this people will often cite Lebron's win over 73 win GS as his biggest accomplishment.

Wilt IMO taking championships away from the most dominant NBA franchise in history adds great weight.

Chamberlain led a very old Lakers team over the Knicks who had 6 HOF in 72

And if those Knicks played today probably none of them are HoFers.

You have your opinion which you can never prove right. Don't seem to know what makes someone eligible for the HOF. Plus it's fact that they are worthy of the HOF which you can never disprove

Championships? He took one from Russell, in his first year as a player-coach, with the best supporting cast and coach in the league. Then he lost the next two with most of those same advantages(and all of them in 68).
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,878

Post#44 » by OhayoKD » Yesterday 9:23 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
70sFan wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:And if those Knicks played today probably none of them are HoFers.

I have very little doubts that Walt Frazier would have been a star today, but how could you know if you've never seen him play even for a minute?

I have seen Frazier play. Between his injuries and the tougher league I doubt he'd make the HoF unless he lucked onto a multi-year champ and played a key role with them.

Playing the milkman game while defending Larry Bird of all people remains nonsensical.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,651

Post#45 » by One_and_Done » Yesterday 9:46 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
70sFan wrote:I have very little doubts that Walt Frazier would have been a star today, but how could you know if you've never seen him play even for a minute?

Playing the milkman game while defending Larry Bird of all people remains nonsensical.

Frazier was no milkman, but the league is alot tougher today. Between that and his injuries I doubt he'd make the HoF if he played in the modern era.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.

Return to The General Board