Doc Rivers is the worst coach ever

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Doc Rivers is the worst coach ever 

Post#1 » by Gibson22 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:11 pm

Not as in actual worst, cause Im sure there must have been plenty of more incompetent coaches who lasted a couple years or so, but as far as being net positive/negative I think hes the one that has accumulated the most damage to teams as far as going below the expectation. Just as much as, to me, the worst players are not the scrubs who barely play but the stars who hurt their teams. If you are a scrub you just will not play, but if you are a star, you have the power to ruin the team, cause you will play a lot, shoot and hold the ball a lot, drive coaches or players away, all of that, so the biggest net negatives will always be some stars. In the same way, doc rivers, having coached for 25 years, and since 2008 consistently in elite teams, is the since coach that has the most cumulative damage on his teams.
He's the worst at adjustments, he has bad rotations, he seems to have bias pro or against certain players,he blows up leads, and even his fame of being a player coach is done after his compilation of throwing his players under the bus in the last 5 years.
His career is just full of blown up leads, losses against inferior teams, doing the bare minimum or going below expectations.

Lets examine his career.

-Orlando Magic (00-04) He starts with a good season, goes 41-41 and makes the playoffs in a season where they werent supposed to make the playoffs. After that, the magic get mcgrady and grant hill, and it looks like they can form a superteam with those two and tim duncan, but this doesnt happen, notoriously, also for rivers' strict policy of family members not being allowed to travel in the team's plane. They lose in the 1st round for 3 years in a row, rivers gets fired after 1-10 start in 04.
Mid to disappointing season. Depending on how much you value his importance in the missed signing of Tim duncan, arguably a catastrophic experience.

-Boston Celtics (05-13). Obviously his famous 08 rings. Most people would say that 1 ring was the bare minimum for that team. So, after some mediocre years (mediocre teams, but once again, they could have done a bit better. first year, they lose in game 7 in the 1st round) he wins the 08 ring with rondo allen pierce garnett. even this playoff run. why do you go to game 7 agains the 37-45 atlanta hawks and the cleveland cavs? In 09 kg gets injured, they lose in the 2nd round against the magic. 10 they lose in game 7 in the finals after being up 3-2. after that the heat form a super team so they are no longer the favorites in the east. they lose 4-1 in 2011. 2012, again they lose against them after being up 3-2. lose first round in 2013.

Won a ring, I won't call it a failure cause they won 1, but for sure they just did the bare minimum considered what they had. In a line that goes from failure to success, its closer to failure than success, we can put it like this. Bare minimum. Also the first 2 rounds of the championship run going to game 7 are crazy, and also 2 losses from being up 3-2.

-Los Angeles Clippers (14-20) The recap of his clippers career was that yeah, there wasnt one year where the clippers were THE favorites to make it out of the west, but they were always an elite team, and for all these years they could never to anything more than the bare minimum, they never exceeded expectations. Also, these last few years, like, did we know that the heat were going to make the finals those 2 times? that the nuggets would be these juggernauts? could we predict the 22 warriors? were the 19 raptors, 21 bucks heavy favourites? did we know that the 2014 spurs were gonna be this historically great team in the playoffs? so, its not like you need to be this chose one team to become one. and the clippers always did just the bare minimum. also, now we have players talking about the fact that the problem of that team was the enviroment, players not getting along with each other etc. Failure, disappointment, could never make it.
14 decent year, 57-25, beat a good warriors team, lose against a better thunder team, 15 they blow up 3-1 lead against rockets, 16 first round lossagainst an inferior blazers team, 17 first round loss against inferior jazz team, 18 paul goes away no playoffs, 19 a great year with no paul and blake, the teams goes way above expectations in winning 48 games and putting up a good fight against the kd warriors in 1st round. 2020 the team is arguably the one with highest expectations before the season, having acquired pg and kawhi, but in the bubble in 2nd round they blow a 3-1 lead against the nuggets

-Philadelphia 76ers (21-23) Embiid's career so far is made of playoff failures/no playoff success, and so are these 3 years of doc coaching him. underwhelming playoff results, below expectations as usual. 21 2nd round game 7 loss against an inferior hawks team. famous simmons blunder. 22 2nd round loss against inferior heat team. 23 2nd round loss agains the celtics (who were better than the 76ers) after being up 3-2. Again, the 76ers are a team that every year could have potentially been the best team in the east and made it to the finals or eventually win, there were not one year when it was a given that somebody was better. but no, 2nd round losses.

-Milwaukee Bucks (24-24) So far bad regular season, bad interviews and bad feel overall. lets see.

The thing, if i was to make a post to say that actually his results was amazing, what can i see? what can i see to make his magic tenure look great? is there a way to say that winning that 1 ring with the celtics was actually amazing? is there a way to say that actually he could not have done better with the 76ers or with the clippers? Like how do you make the opposite bias post.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,735

Re: Doc Rivers is the worst coach ever 

Post#2 » by Swish1906 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:13 pm

Not the worst but by far the most overrated
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 2,967

Post#3 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:15 pm

I can actually understand them needing seven games to beat that Cavs team. Cleveland matched up pretty well with Boston and no one really had LeBron James figured out yet.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 313

Post#4 » by Handlez » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:16 pm

We'll revisit this thread if Mavs lose to Clippers without Kawhi.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,509

Post#5 » by Froob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:16 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Not the worst but by fair the most overrated

Somebody would have to think he's good for him to be overrated

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,903

Post#6 » by UcanUwill » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:38 pm

Froob wrote:

They put him on that greatest 15 nba coaches ever list. If I take that as face value, I would also call him overrated, I do not think he is top 15 greatest nba coach. But again, best and greatest is not quite the same, and I am far from expert on coaching, but I would not have him on that list, I am not really sure why he is there.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,619

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:43 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Froob wrote:

They put him on that greatest 15 nba coaches ever list. If I take that as face value, I would also call him overrated, I do not think he is top 15 greatest nba coach. But again, best and greatest is not quite the same, and I am far from expert on coaching, but I would not have him on that list, I am not really sure why he is there.

He just got the job for the Bucks...a team that has to consider themselves a contender. That alone shows someone thinks awfully high of him. They paid him a lot of money and put him in charge of a Giannis and Lillard team. Anyone can put down a list. But to put / shell out millions and put your job (as GM) on the line is a lot of faith.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,509

Post#8 » by Froob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:55 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Froob wrote:Somebody would have to think he's good for him to be overrated

He just got the job for the Bucks...a team that has to consider themselves a contender. That alone shows someone thinks awfully high of him. They paid him a lot of money and put him in charge of a Giannis and Lillard. Anyone can put down a list. But to put shell out millions and put your job (as GM) on the line is a lot of faith.

Two very good points. I was mostly thinking that fans and media mostly think he sucks.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
badpotato
Sophomore
And1: 398

Post#9 » by badpotato » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:03 pm

One point to add for his Clipper stint- this team was desperate for starting wing with some size and defensive prowess, but they were never able to upgrade SF spot above minimum vet type of guy, as they were over the cap. This is largely because Daddy Doc opted to give his son Austin generous contract.

While Austin was not that bad overall, undersized ballhandling guard with serious consistency issues was not what team needed at all- team that had CP3, JJ and Crawford already.
At that point he got paid just after dissapointing rookie campaign and some could argue he could be on the way out of NBA, if not for Daddy's intervention.

For me, these Clipper teams were killed by Doc's nepotism more than anything else.
When the individual feels, the community reels.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#10 » by naabzor » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:08 pm

I dunno. I think maybe he should have won twice with the celts but that's pretty much about it. I remember some bad calls on those finals and a little bit of more luck and he should have get away with two rings. In the end the team was very good but the Heatles were very good too and younger. The clippers were an abomination: that team was heavily carried by hall of famer CP3, but the rest of the team come on, DJ and Griffin? I think they did what they could carried by CP3 that was injured every offseason. Philadelphia I am not even going to talk about it, Embiid and Simmons, Embiid and (discontent) Harden? He had no business going for a ring. Let's see what he can do with the Bucks...
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,375

Post#11 » by Tottery » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm

The big 3 he coached in Boston was the only true title contender he's ever had. They were expected to repeat in '09. They started the season off 27-2 with a 19 game win streak. Went on to be 44-11. Then, KG was injured and missed the post season. Wasn't the same after that.

This is the 2nd best team he's ever coached. I don't expect much this post season since he came in mid way, but if he can't get it done next year, then one can argue the Celtics talent carried.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,317

Post#12 » by boomershadow » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 pm

Strange thread the day after a playoff win
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,852

Post#13 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Nevermind his coaching.

Can we talk about his hairline. The man has a hairline but no hair on his head.
Gus Fring
Pro Prospect
And1: 875

Post#14 » by Gus Fring » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:00 pm

Docs not even overrated at this point given the amount of people criticizing him constantly.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,410

Post#15 » by DOT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:04 pm

That 2008 championship has to be the most milked title in history.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 260

Post#16 » by Mallie » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:33 pm

DOT wrote:That 2008 championship has to be the most milked title in history.

Equally by him, KG, Pierce, Rondo, Bill Simmons, LeBron haters and the media.

If I didn't live through it, I'd be almost led to believe it was some kind of a once-in-a-lifetime cindirella story.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Post#17 » by Pattycakes » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:41 pm

Gus Fring wrote:Docs not even overrated at this point given the amount of people criticizing him constantly.

That part. It passed the point of rational hatred long ago. I’m sure he’ll have some medical issue at some point and people will stop being aholes
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,477

Post#18 » by Rendei » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm

I don't mean to defend Doc or anything, but they're 1-0 in the playoffs right now without Giannis. The hating can wait until he screws it up.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,172

Post#19 » by Edrees » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:56 pm

KG should get a bump in the all time list (Or thibs in the coaches list) for winning that celtics title

boomershadow wrote:Strange thread the day after a playoff win

If giannis stayed injured, this might be another 3-1 collapse type of series. It has all the makings
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,832

Post#20 » by Mk0 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:31 pm

DOT wrote:That 2008 championship has to be the most milked title in history.

I refer to it as the 08 Dynasty because of the way those mfkers gas themselves up about it.

Like don't get me wrong if the Bulls won a chip after 30yrs of being ass I would be super hyped but I am sure as hell gonna cringe if the players/coach act like these guys have.

We get it, had KG not been injured you could have had another, but you don't and injuries are a part of every post-season.

* Just imagine there is a world where Kendrick Perkins remains irrelevant
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel

Return to The General Board