Doc Rivers is the worst coach ever

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 944

Re: Doc Rivers is the worst coach ever 

Post#21 » by FreeBird23 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:36 pm

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,102

Post#22 » by Lalouie » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:52 pm

overrated more like, but he's the goat as most beloved coach and that is his ace in the hole
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,953

Post#23 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:54 pm

boomershadow wrote:Strange thread the day after a playoff win

If you ask me, the Pacers don't shoot that bad again. But don't expect the Bucks to do anything different.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,919

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:21 pm

You lost me at "couldn't win with Harden".
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,760

Post#25 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:16 pm

Doc is never lack of job offers
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,933

Post#26 » by picc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 pm

And-1'd without even reading. It was automatic.
web123888
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#27 » by web123888 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:35 pm

Riding the coattails of his fluke 2008 ring for far too long. Fluke not that the Celtics won as they were a loaded powerhouse team but that he was their coach while they won. Anyone could’ve coached that team to a title.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,048

Post#28 » by CobraCommander » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 pm

Handlez wrote:We'll revisit this thread if Mavs lose to Clippers without Kawhi.

It’s Kidd regardless
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,050

Post#29 » by jkvonny » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:09 pm

Gibson22 wrote:
-Los Angeles Clippers (14-20) The recap of his clippers career was that yeah, there wasnt one year where the clippers were THE favorites to make it out of the west, but they were always an elite team, and for all these years they could never to anything more than the bare minimum, they never exceeded expectations. Also, these last few years, like, did we know that the heat were going to make the finals those 2 times? that the nuggets would be these juggernauts? could we predict the 22 warriors? were the 19 raptors, 21 bucks heavy favourites? did we know that the 2014 spurs were gonna be this historically great team in the playoffs? so, its not like you need to be this chose one team to become one. and the clippers always did just the bare minimum. also, now we have players talking about the fact that the problem of that team was the enviroment, players not getting along with each other etc. Failure, disappointment, could never make it.

How could you forget the 2015 Warriors? Nobody (but a select few) predicted that! Young team that just became good in 2013
Cavs, Spurs, Thunder, Clips, Bulls were heavy favorites that 2015 season (preseason).

2011 Mavs? Same thing with that 2015 GSW. Except, the Mavs were an old again team, that always choked, their window was closing. Hardly anybody (but a select few) saw that coming!
Heat, Lakers, Bulls, Thunder were favorites that 2011 season (preseason).

But, I do get what you are saying. The Clips had a few seasons were they up there in championship odds/contenders, but luck, injuries, choke jobs derailed them in the post season.
Doc is a good coach. Worse ever? No. A tad bit overrated? Ya, but he does have that 1 NBA championship. Plus Mr Glenn Rivers is a charming , charismatic, intense fella with a strong raspy voice, a players coach, too. Been around the game a long time (player, coach, media/TV broadcasting, etc).

Who hates a guy name Glenn?? :dontknow:
Everybody loves Glenn!
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 538

Post#30 » by FrodoFraggins » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:09 pm

Froob wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:Not the worst but by fair the most overrated

Somebody would have to think he's good for him to be overrated

Overemployed
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,762

Post#31 » by AussieBuck » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:22 am

He's not a bottom 2 coach of the Bucks in the Giannis era. Probably not bottom 3.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#32 » by meekrab » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 am

The fact that he was allowed to pay his own son 30 million dollars and isn't in jail for embezzlement is a crime against decency and justice.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,022

Post#33 » by GSP » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:55 am

Swish1906 wrote:Not the worst but by far the most overrated

Maybe a decade ago Doc isnt close to most overrated coach in 2024. Everyone craps on him now...........if anything hes become underrated
OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 374

Post#34 » by OhMyGodBecky » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:16 am

There's been worse regular season coaches, but if you combine reg. season success then postseason futility, George Karl is right there.
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 617

Post#35 » by Chessboxer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 am

Swish1906 wrote:Not the worst but by far the most overrated

Is he overrated at this point? It seems everybody calls him terrible, its almost like beating a dead horse at this point.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 617

Post#36 » by Chessboxer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:06 am

web123888 wrote:Riding the coattails of his fluke 2008 ring for far too long. Fluke not that the Celtics won as they were a loaded powerhouse team but that he was their coach while they won. Anyone could’ve coached that team to a title.

That's the only thing I dislike, him getting no credit at all for his successes. If he loses he sucks, if he wins it's because he got lucky/team loaded etc. Someone like that will never get credit for anything, which is unfair.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 253

Post#37 » by WentzerWuver » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

Gibson22 wrote:Not as in actual worst, cause Im sure there must have been plenty of more incompetent coaches who lasted a couple years or so, but as far as being net positive/negative I think hes the one that has accumulated the most damage to teams as far as going below the expectation. Just as much as, to me, the worst players are not the scrubs who barely play but the stars who hurt their teams. If you are a scrub you just will not play, but if you are a star, you have the power to ruin the team, cause you will play a lot, shoot and hold the ball a lot, drive coaches or players away, all of that, so the biggest net negatives will always be some stars. In the same way, doc rivers, having coached for 25 years, and since 2008 consistently in elite teams, is the since coach that has the most cumulative damage on his teams.
He's the worst at adjustments, he has bad rotations, he seems to have bias pro or against certain players,he blows up leads, and even his fame of being a player coach is done after his compilation of throwing his players under the bus in the last 5 years.
His career is just full of blown up leads, losses against inferior teams, doing the bare minimum or going below expectations.

Lets examine his career.

-Orlando Magic (00-04) He starts with a good season, goes 41-41 and makes the playoffs in a season where they werent supposed to make the playoffs. After that, the magic get mcgrady and grant hill, and it looks like they can form a superteam with those two and tim duncan, but this doesnt happen, notoriously, also for rivers' strict policy of family members not being allowed to travel in the team's plane. They lose in the 1st round for 3 years in a row, rivers gets fired after 1-10 start in 04.
Mid to disappointing season. Depending on how much you value his importance in the missed signing of Tim duncan, arguably a catastrophic experience.

-Boston Celtics (05-13). Obviously his famous 08 rings. Most people would say that 1 ring was the bare minimum for that team. So, after some mediocre years (mediocre teams, but once again, they could have done a bit better. first year, they lose in game 7 in the 1st round) he wins the 08 ring with rondo allen pierce garnett. even this playoff run. why do you go to game 7 agains the 37-45 atlanta hawks and the cleveland cavs? In 09 kg gets injured, they lose in the 2nd round against the magic. 10 they lose in game 7 in the finals after being up 3-2. after that the heat form a super team so they are no longer the favorites in the east. they lose 4-1 in 2011. 2012, again they lose against them after being up 3-2. lose first round in 2013.

Won a ring, I won't call it a failure cause they won 1, but for sure they just did the bare minimum considered what they had. In a line that goes from failure to success, its closer to failure than success, we can put it like this. Bare minimum. Also the first 2 rounds of the championship run going to game 7 are crazy, and also 2 losses from being up 3-2.

-Los Angeles Clippers (14-20) The recap of his clippers career was that yeah, there wasnt one year where the clippers were THE favorites to make it out of the west, but they were always an elite team, and for all these years they could never to anything more than the bare minimum, they never exceeded expectations. Also, these last few years, like, did we know that the heat were going to make the finals those 2 times? that the nuggets would be these juggernauts? could we predict the 22 warriors? were the 19 raptors, 21 bucks heavy favourites? did we know that the 2014 spurs were gonna be this historically great team in the playoffs? so, its not like you need to be this chose one team to become one. and the clippers always did just the bare minimum. also, now we have players talking about the fact that the problem of that team was the enviroment, players not getting along with each other etc. Failure, disappointment, could never make it.
14 decent year, 57-25, beat a good warriors team, lose against a better thunder team, 15 they blow up 3-1 lead against rockets, 16 first round lossagainst an inferior blazers team, 17 first round loss against inferior jazz team, 18 paul goes away no playoffs, 19 a great year with no paul and blake, the teams goes way above expectations in winning 48 games and putting up a good fight against the kd warriors in 1st round. 2020 the team is arguably the one with highest expectations before the season, having acquired pg and kawhi, but in the bubble in 2nd round they blow a 3-1 lead against the nuggets

-Philadelphia 76ers (21-23) Embiid's career so far is made of playoff failures/no playoff success, and so are these 3 years of doc coaching him. underwhelming playoff results, below expectations as usual. 21 2nd round game 7 loss against an inferior hawks team. famous simmons blunder. 22 2nd round loss against inferior heat team. 23 2nd round loss agains the celtics (who were better than the 76ers) after being up 3-2. Again, the 76ers are a team that every year could have potentially been the best team in the east and made it to the finals or eventually win, there were not one year when it was a given that somebody was better. but no, 2nd round losses.

-Milwaukee Bucks (24-24) So far bad regular season, bad interviews and bad feel overall. lets see.

The thing, if i was to make a post to say that actually his results was amazing, what can i see? what can i see to make his magic tenure look great? is there a way to say that winning that 1 ring with the celtics was actually amazing? is there a way to say that actually he could not have done better with the 76ers or with the clippers? Like how do you make the opposite bias post.
Doc was voted by all the top coaches and players as a top 10 greatest HC in the league. So it sounds like misinformed or bias hate to me, especially once the Bucks beat the Pacers without Giannis.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 715

Post#38 » by UglyBugBall » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 pm

Doc is a top 5 coach ever. Winning in Boston cemented him as such. Is he perfect? No one is, but he proved in Boston that he could take a talented but rag tag team of guys and turn them into an absolute unit. Anything after that is gravy
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,792

Post#39 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:18 pm

Mk0 wrote:
DOT wrote:That 2008 championship has to be the most milked title in history.

I refer to it as the 08 Dynasty because of the way those mfkers gas themselves up about it.

Like don't get me wrong if the Bulls won a chip after 30yrs of being ass I would be super hyped but I am sure as hell gonna cringe if the players/coach act like these guys have.

We get it, had KG not been injured you could have had another, but you don't and injuries are a part of every post-season.

* Just imagine there is a world where Kendrick Perkins remains irrelevant

Actually, Perkins is relevant to this thread.

His injury in Game 6 of the Finals loss had a lot to do with it being a loss.

So, I presume, did the thigh injury Ray Allen was playing through.

I'm not aware of any OTHER season Rivers gets a bad rap for, but dinging him too hard for that particular one is a bit unfair.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 253

Post#40 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 am

UglyBugBall wrote:Doc is a top 5 coach ever. Winning in Boston cemented him as such. Is he perfect? No one is, but he proved in Boston that he could take a talented but rag tag team of guys and turn them into an absolute unit. Anything after that is gravy
Top 10. Top 5 might be stretching it unless the Bucks beat Denver in the finals.

Return to The General Board