"Marginal Contact"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,634

Re: "Marginal Contact" 

Post#41 » by Revived » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 am

So this was a flagrant 2 from two weeks ago but play in OP’s post isn’t even a common foul?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#42 » by zeebneeb » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 am

Meh. I'm from the old school. No blood, no foul. The further down this road the NBA goes, and more intense the competition will get, and I am 100% here for it.

Bring it back to the late 80's. Punches thrown, benches cleared, no ejections, play on.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,775

Post#43 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

The basic tenor of the game was that the refs were letting them play so that call was a bit too soft to be made in the moment. In a regular season game it probably stands.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,954

Post#44 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Lakers are losing their minds that the refs didn't gift them a win LOL

Finally suffering what we’ve felt for years. LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,024

Post#45 » by AussieCeltic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 am

This was a no call and the ball is in his hands.

MPJ hit was after the shot and has been ruled no foul for awhile now.

eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 639

Post#46 » by madskillz8 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 am

infinite11285 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Lakers are losing their minds that the refs didn't gift them a win LOL

It's a clear foul. Since when could you hit a shooter across the face?

Wait, what? I thought slaps and elbows to face is allowed in the last minutes of close playoff games, since 2002.

All I see is consistent reffing here :lol:
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,586

Post#47 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:29 am

infinite11285 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
It's a clear foul. Since when could you hit a shooter across the face?

They've been calling it like this for most of the 2nd half and especially in the playoffs. The contact happened after the ball was released...

If DLO took a straight jump shot and was hit in the face following the release of the ball, is it a foul? I thought rules allow for offensive players to land, even after release.

No, its not a foul anymore. Like i understand the idocy to be changing rules midway through the year but this applies to ALL teams.

Dlo was hit after his release and was able to land on the floor without being undercut. There have been like a 100 plays called like this after the allstar break and even in these playoffs, not sure why this is the call that's confusing to Laker fans.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 639

Post#48 » by madskillz8 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 am

Revived wrote:So this was a flagrant 2 from two weeks ago but play in OP’s post isn’t even a common foul?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

An excessive and intentional elbow shove to the behind of his head/neck for 3-4 seconds - and looking at his reaction towards the opponent following the possession, I think he probably did that because of previous altercations during the game. In 43-44 seconds mark in the video, you can see Naz Reid looking at him and still pushes his elbow to his head even though the possession already finished. Completely in line with the textbook definition of flagrant 2: "Unnecessary and excessive contact."

TBH, not a good example as it has nothing to do with today's possession.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#49 » by naabzor » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 am

Maybe they should have labelled it Accidental Contact, I dunno. Like accidental contact after the play died?
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,230

Post#50 » by socal74 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:16 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
They've been calling it like this for most of the 2nd half and especially in the playoffs. The contact happened after the ball was released...

If DLO took a straight jump shot and was hit in the face following the release of the ball, is it a foul? I thought rules allow for offensive players to land, even after release.

No, its not a foul anymore. Like i understand the idocy to be changing rules midway through the year but this applies to ALL teams.

Dlo was hit after his release and was able to land on the floor without being undercut. There have been like a 100 plays called like this after the allstar break and even in these playoffs, not sure why this is the call that's confusing to Laker fans.

Oh I get it. It's confusing until it happens to your favorite team amirite?
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,943

Post#51 » by Sofia » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 am

Foul. Rest of the discussion about who is involved is irrelevant.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
rand
Starter
And1: 3,170

Post#52 » by rand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:42 am

Why didn't the crooked NBA refs give that call to the Lakers? They're the highest TV draw in the league and have the game's biggest star.

Lakers are allowed to blow a 20 pt 2nd half lead while being -4 in FTAs in a low scoring game? That 4 FTA deficit comes entirely from the 4th qtr too. The last three FTs shot by the Nuggets were in the final 2:18 and although both calls were correct IMO (the Jokic and1 at 2:18 and the LeBron handcheck on Murray at 57.6), crooked refs could have gotten away with swallowing the whistle. Instead they let the league's flagship franchise and most popular player go down 0-2.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,960

Post#53 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 am

Seems right to me :)
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,869

Post#54 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:56 am

Lakers don’t get minimum 10 more free throws than their opponent and the entitled toddlers start having their tantrums
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,099

Post#55 » by deck » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 am

KyRo23 wrote:
JRoy wrote:Great chance for LAL to see how the other half lives.

So then do we agree it's not rigged for LA?

This happens every year :lol: all I hear is the refs are gifting LA wins, then it happens the other way and everyone goes "see how it feels?!"... but no wait... you can't have both. The logic can't work both ways if the first part is true.

This is one questionable call. LA has gotten favourable calls for 2 years straight now. Give your head a shake. Your team should not even be in the playoffs.

And you are incorrect, it can be both ways. This can be a questionable call, and LA can still have a 500+ free throw differential vs. the next closest team.

What is rich is Lebron suddenly now playing victim. What a fking flower this guy is.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,039

Post#56 » by KyRo23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:27 am

deck wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
JRoy wrote:Great chance for LAL to see how the other half lives.

This happens every year :lol: all I hear is the refs are gifting LA wins, then it happens the other way and everyone goes "see how it feels?!"... but no wait... you can't have both. The logic can't work both ways if the first part is true.

This is one questionable call. LA has gotten favourable calls for 2 years straight now. Give your head a shake. Your team should not even be in the playoffs.

And you are incorrect, it can be both ways. This can be a questionable call, and LA can still have a 500+ free throw differential vs. the next closest team.

What is rich is Lebron suddenly now playing victim. What a fking flower this guy is.

I'm not disputing anything you just said... I think you might be misunderstanding. It's not even about a call, it's about the narrative around why LA gets calls. Is it rigged or is it not? If it's rigged, why did they stop tonight with a great chance to tie the series 1-1? That's all I'm asking
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,449

Re: 

Post#57 » by JRoy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:37 am

durden_tyler wrote:

Finally suffering what we’ve felt for years. LOL

Now it’s a problem.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,099

Post#58 » by deck » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:42 am

KyRo23 wrote:
deck wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:

I'm not disputing anything you just said... I think you might be misunderstanding. It's not even about a call, it's about the narrative around why LA gets calls. Is it rigged or is it not? If it's rigged, why did they stop tonight with a great chance to tie the series 1-1? That's all I'm asking

I have no opinion on whether the game is rigged or not. For there to be an intentional and deliberate attempt by the NBA to prop up LA seems unlikely to me.

But what Jroy said is still correct; this is a glimpse for LA (and for Lebron) into what it is like to be a non-marquee team in the league. This kind of thing happens all the time. Lebron is a hypocrite for only being critical of officiating when it doesn't benefit him.

If after the egregious Raptors / Lakers game when the Raptors head coach went off on the officiating, Lebron had said something to acknowledge the unprecedented disparity in the 4th quarter, maybe I would be less critical of his character. Instead we got a dead face Lebron saying 'They fouled, we didn't'.

So yes, I feel zero sympathy for Lebron or the Lakers if a hand-full of times through the course of the season they are on the wrong side of a bad call. And Lebron reacting like he always does in these circumstances makes him look like a little bitch.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,365

Post#59 » by rockmanslim » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 am

AussieCeltic wrote:This was a no call and the ball is in his hands.

MPJ hit was after the shot and has been ruled no foul for awhile now.

First time I've seen this. That looks like a foul to me, but that one is at least arguable either way since the contact to Jaylen's head isn't a straight up whack like what happened to D-Lo.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,039

Post#60 » by KyRo23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:44 am

deck wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
deck wrote:

I have no opinion on whether the game is rigged or not. For there to be an intentional and deliberate attempt by the NBA to prop up LA seems unlikely to me.

But what Jroy said is still correct; this is a glimpse for LA (and for Lebron) into what it is like to be a non-marquee team in the league. This kind of thing happens all the time. Lebron is a hypocrite for only being critical of officiating when it doesn't benefit him.

If after the egregious Raptors / Lakers game when the Raptors head coach went off on the officiating, Lebron had said something to acknowledge the unprecedented disparity in the 4th quarter, maybe I would be less critical of his character. Instead we got a dead face Lebron saying 'They fouled, we didn't'.

So yes, I feel zero sympathy for Lebron or the Lakers if a hand-full of times through the course of the season they are on the wrong side of a bad call. And Lebron reacting like he always does in these circumstances makes him look like a little bitch.

This is fair, but I don't think he's asking for sympathy form the fans. It is simply lobbying for calls next game. Every team does this. Sure it's funny to see LA do it, but I'm glad they're doing it. I just don't want them to think they lost this game because of the whistle because that is not true

Return to The General Board