"Marginal Contact"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Re: "Marginal Contact" 

Post#61 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:44 am

I would love the refs to explain this one because I don't get it.
Is there a different angle that shows that Russell hasn't been really hit on his head?
Слава Украине!
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,843

Post#62 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 am

The problem is you all posted an actual video and the box score watchers are coming back at it with numbers.

Maybe laker faces are in play being that AD got knocked out of two games with pops to the face and no foul was called either time.

BUT BUT, the FT discrepancy!!!!
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,502

Post#63 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

IT was a foul, absolutely no doubt about it however it also has no significance to the game, Lakers had plenty of opportunities to win this game after this situation...
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,094

Post#64 » by slick_watts » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

i don't mind changes to the rules that made the game more enjoyable to watch. that might include reducing advantages to the offensive player when it comes to foul calls. but i think it's a mistake to change these things mid-season and again in the playoffs. it's jarring to watch teams that have been built for one set of rules (and refs) having to adapt on the fly like this. if the league got together in the offseason and made points of emphasis and everyone was prepared that's one thing. this is just unfair and bush league imo.
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 313

Post#65 » by Handlez » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm

What in the world lmao.

Professional sports...yikes.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:08 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:IT was a foul, absolutely no doubt about it however it also has no significance to the game, Lakers had plenty of opportunities to win this game after this situation...

Yea, so youre saying a bad no call at the end of the game has no significance? See, its idiotic crap like this that calms be down and lets me know not to engage, lol.
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,618

Post#67 » by srhcan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:09 pm

meekrab wrote:It only matters what the refs want to be true on any given night.

Refs have too much power and there is no check on them to not abuse that power. NBA has not learned anything from Timothy Francis Donaghy fiasco,
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,725

Post#68 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 pm

Look if you're emotionally invested in nba, the only way to stay sane is to accept that nba basketball doesn't really have rules. There is a ref who is basically the equivalent of a roulette, you spin him and he produces random decisions.
If you don't accept that it will just drive you nuts sooner or later.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,309

Post#69 » by Lunartic » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
I'm fine with missed calls. LA is no victim to officiating usually. I just want to clear it up for the people saying it's rigged, because it's always rigged until it isn't... Not one of you guys have explained it to me, I'll give you another shot

Refs had a great chance to make this 1-1. Why wouldn't it happen?

Rigging = orchestrating a specific outcome by any means necessary

Favoritism = giving the Lakers insane amounts of FTA in an effort to bolster their chances at making the playoffs

I doubt anyone is actually saying the League is cheating to ensure the Lakers win the title, they just have repeatedly been the beneficiaries of soft calls all season long.

For sure, but if you can do that for an 82 game season to ensure LA makes the playoffs, why just ditch that as soon as it starts? Great chance to add extra games to this series, or at least make it 1-1. You'd think if they wanted LA in the playoffs THAT bad, they'd want them to play more games in the playoffs, no?

It all sounds kind of dumb when you break it down. Is the NBA really hurting for 4 singular Lakers playoff games that they would favorite them for 6 months? Surely they could keep doing it and keep them in there

Just because you propose a logical argument, it doesn't mean that the argument is correct

Equally logical reasoning would be that the league realizes a postseason without Lebron is one with reduced ratings. This is extra meaningful when the league is courting suitors for tv deals.

So the NBA ensures the Lakers never fall too far behind in the rankings to help their chances. This is record breaking type FT differential, not just some ho-hum superstar calls.

Once the playoffs start, the game is called tighter and there are more eyes on every single foul. Lebron has always been a great playoff performer despite weaker teams and it's reasonable to assume the league decided to let them sink or swim. To be determined actually, because it's not as if the Lakers didn't get significantly more FTA in Game 1 and they weren't exactly mistreated by the refs in game 2.

I don't think there is a grand sweeping conspiracy to give any single team the title. I do however, believe the RS is when meddling happens and "superstar calls" aren't just singular refs acting on their own volition.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,064

Post#70 » by queridiculo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:13 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:I would love the refs to explain this one because I don't get it.
Is there a different angle that shows that Russell hasn't been really hit on his head?

I'd imagine that the argument that's made here is that the contact had no bearing on the shot (which was released before contact was made) and was incidental.

I get that argument to a degree.

Catching stray contact to the head can happen from time to time in basketball.

NBA Rules wrote:1. Incidental Contact

The mere fact that contact occurs does not necessarily constitute a foul. Contact which is incidental to an effort by a player to play an opponent, reach a loose ball, or perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should not be considered illegal. If, however, a player attempts to play an opponent from a position where he has no reasonable chance to perform without making contact with his opponent, the responsibility is on the player in this position.

The hand is considered “part of the ball” when it is in contact with the ball. Therefore, contact on that part of the hand by a defender while it is in contact with the ball is not illegal.

Porter attempts to make a play on the ball and makes contact after the ball is released.

Seems to fit the incidental criteria.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,104

Post#71 » by Hugi Mancura » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

In NBA contact after the shot has been released have been allowed long time. It happens multiple times in a game. Just check layups; there are tons of contact caused by defender after the shot has been thrown and none of this are called. So this is contact after the shot and referees figured the contact didn't affect the shot or wasn't causing any physical harm to Russell, so they let it go. Like they did all other contacts after the shot in this game.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,381

Post#72 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 pm

Mrakar wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
Mrakar wrote:He hit him in face after the shot. Marginal contact was around waist. It is a stupid rule because you cant contest a 3 nowdays, otherwise you will get in "landing space" and that will be a 3 FTs but you can smack a player in the face after the shot on a layup attempt.
Can we add that Lebron push-off in this thread also? He missed wide open one but it shouldnt have been wide open.

Can we add the foul call on LeBron when he “fouled” Murray the possession right before?

Ofc course if we can add Lebron "and1" before that, i can do it all day long.

Except it was a legit and-1. Look it up.

Either way, Mr. “I can do it all day long”, you started this crap lol.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 237

Post#73 » by In-N-Out 247 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:52 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:In NBA contact after the shot has been released have been allowed long time. It happens multiple times in a game. Just check layups; there are tons of contact caused by defender after the shot has been thrown and none of this are called. So this is contact after the shot and referees figured the contact didn't affect the shot or wasn't causing any physical harm to Russell, so they let it go. Like they did all other contacts after the shot in this game.

I get that, but at the same time if you hit someone in the face it should be a foul. I can't think of a single scenario in which that would be considered a legal play.

I also get that on practically every play there is contact that could be a foul that the refs either don't see or choose not to call a foul and that is fine. In this specific scenario it was a challenged call, they went to the replay, can clearly see there was contact to his face and decided that it was in fact not a foul. I think it just sets a bad precedent. Basically what they are saying is that it is ok to make contact to an offensive players face so long as he has already released the ball.

And of course the contact affected the shot - he saw it coming, knew he was gonna get hit, rushed the layup, missed it and then got hit.

I should add that I am of the opinion that this call did not impact the outcome of the game. The Nuggets would have found a way to make up the 2 free throws.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,240

Post#74 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm

RunOKC wrote:That was plain wrong

Almost seemed like Scott Foster didn't agree with it when he was announcing that so maybe it was all on the replay center?

I wondered about that myself.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 pm

In-N-Out 247 wrote:
Hugi Mancura wrote:In NBA contact after the shot has been released have been allowed long time. It happens multiple times in a game. Just check layups; there are tons of contact caused by defender after the shot has been thrown and none of this are called. So this is contact after the shot and referees figured the contact didn't affect the shot or wasn't causing any physical harm to Russell, so they let it go. Like they did all other contacts after the shot in this game.

I get that, but at the same time if you hit someone in the face it should be a foul. I can't think of a single scenario in which that would be considered a legal play.

I also get that on practically every play there is contact that could be a foul that the refs either don't see or choose not to call a foul and that is fine. In this specific scenario it was a challenged call, they went to the replay, can clearly see there was contact to his face and decided that it was in fact not a foul. I think it just sets a bad precedent. Basically what they are saying is that it is ok to make contact to an offensive players face so long as he has already released the ball.

And of course the contact affected the shot - he saw it coming, knew he was gonna get hit, rushed the layup, missed it and then got hit.

I should add that I am of the opinion that this call did not impact the outcome of the game. The Nuggets would have found a way to make up the 2 free throws.

Thats going too far. All bad calls under 2 minutes matter. I dont think we need to bullshyt this here. You cant call a touch foul one one end and let a head slap go on the other end. Thats just not right
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,753

Post#76 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
RunOKC wrote:That was plain wrong

Almost seemed like Scott Foster didn't agree with it when he was announcing that so maybe it was all on the replay center?

I wondered about that myself.

Sounded to me like he just messed up his wording a bit, nothing more.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,469

Post#77 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Lakers are losing their minds that the refs didn't gift them a win LOL

It's a clear foul. Since when could you hit a shooter across the face?

It's a clear foul, but the refs get to choose what they want to call and what they don't want to call.

You're not allowed to literally wrap your arm around the waist of a guy posting you up, yet AD does it to Jokic on pretty much every post up. You'll see Jokic run up to the ref showing it a few times a game lol. Ref decides "Yeah by the rulebook it's a foul but I'm not gonna call it..." probably using the same marginal contact BS.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,179

Post#78 » by cpower » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 pm

clearly he is no Steph Curry, oh wait
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,240

Post#79 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 pm

That's a tough reversal. A hit to the face should never be considered marginal. If you want to say it occurred after the shot and was a non-shooting foul, I can squint and see it, but hitting a guy in the face should be automatic.

That aside, AD disappearing in the second half has plagued the Lakers for years and it's pretty remarkable they haven't fixed it yet. Also, doubling Joker when they were up 20 was dumb. You got the lead by not doubling him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 237

Post#80 » by In-N-Out 247 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:10 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
In-N-Out 247 wrote:

Thats going too far. All bad calls under 2 minutes matter. I dont think we need to bullshyt this here. You cant call a touch foul one one end and let a head slap go on the other end. Thats just not right

Had to look it up to confirm, but the foul on DLO that was challenged and overturned happened with 39.1 seconds left to play in the 3rd quarter. It was a 10 point game at that point 79-69. There was plenty of time for Denver to make that up.

Return to The General Board