"Marginal Contact"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 20,011

Re: "Marginal Contact" 

Post#81 » by thebigbird » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

LeBron hatred really has people trying to rationalize a situation where the refs call a foul live, the refs watch a reply showing DLo get smacked across the face, and the refs overturn the foul call. It’s unbelievable
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,538

Post#82 » by codydaze » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 pm

Officials have been using "marginal contact" as reasoning for overturning calls all year and I absolutely hate it. Giving the refs subjectivity on what is, and what is not, "marginal" is the worst thing they can possibly do.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,843

Post#83 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:57 pm

In-N-Out 247 wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
In-N-Out 247 wrote:
I get that, but at the same time if you hit someone in the face it should be a foul. I can't think of a single scenario in which that would be considered a legal play.

I also get that on practically every play there is contact that could be a foul that the refs either don't see or choose not to call a foul and that is fine. In this specific scenario it was a challenged call, they went to the replay, can clearly see there was contact to his face and decided that it was in fact not a foul. I think it just sets a bad precedent. Basically what they are saying is that it is ok to make contact to an offensive players face so long as he has already released the ball.

And of course the contact affected the shot - he saw it coming, knew he was gonna get hit, rushed the layup, missed it and then got hit.

I should add that I am of the opinion that this call did not impact the outcome of the game. The Nuggets would have found a way to make up the 2 free throws.

Thats going too far. All bad calls under 2 minutes matter. I dont think we need to bullshyt this here. You cant call a touch foul one one end and let a head slap go on the other end. Thats just not right

Had to look it up to confirm, but the foul on DLO that was challenged and overturned happened with 39.1 seconds left to play in the 3rd quarter. It was a 10 point game at that point 79-69. There was plenty of time for Denver to make that up.

I slept through the game, so thats my mistake
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,503

Post#84 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:03 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
ChiTownHero1992 wrote:IT was a foul, absolutely no doubt about it however it also has no significance to the game, Lakers had plenty of opportunities to win this game after this situation...

Yea, so youre saying a bad no call at the end of the game has no significance? See, its idiotic crap like this that calms be down and lets me know not to engage, lol.

Absolutely not, i firmly believe a foul is a foul is a foul....at any point in the game. I hate the concept of biting the whistle at the end of the game.

I'm more saying that this 1 play did not impact the blown 20 point lead...they squandered numerous opportunities to win, this 1 play does not cause the entire loss.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:35 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
ChiTownHero1992 wrote:IT was a foul, absolutely no doubt about it however it also has no significance to the game, Lakers had plenty of opportunities to win this game after this situation...

Yea, so youre saying a bad no call at the end of the game has no significance? See, its idiotic crap like this that calms be down and lets me know not to engage, lol.

Absolutely not, i firmly believe a foul is a foul is a foul....at any point in the game. I hate the concept of biting the whistle at the end of the game.

I'm more saying that this 1 play did not impact the blown 20 point lead...they squandered numerous opportunities to win, this 1 play does not cause the entire loss.

ok, my bad.

I will say i still dont like a bad call being excused because of a blown lead though. I dont get the connection.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,834

Post#86 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 pm

The Lakers got some gift calls last night, too.

I almost never talk about the refs on here but I think I mentioned them twice in the game thread last night.

Refs need to improve.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,575

Post#87 » by drekwins » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:33 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:We all saw the hit to the face on a Lakers player that got reversed because it was "Marginal Contact". I've never seen this before during a regular season game I don't think, especially when the player is hit in the face. Is this a regular thing, or only during the playoffs?

Read on Twitter
?t=pckIFpP2Ym0KNObfi7ipoQ&s=19

This and the Divo reversal was insane.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,575

Post#88 » by drekwins » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm

I question if some of the refs ever played ball. There are situations where a lot of contact doesn't make a difference. Then, there are situations where little contact makes a huge difference. Touching someone's shooting elbow is a no-no, even if it's as light as a feather.

I really dont think these refs know what they're doing.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,544

Post#89 » by KrAzY3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:38 pm

I think the issue is, on that play at least you can't call a shooting foul on something that happened after the shot. It was called a shooting foul right?
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,099

Post#90 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:43 pm

The rules are the problem!!! this was overturned because dlo didnt flop. we all say "stop flopping". when they do, this is the result. I totally see why they did what they did. Next time you see embiid sprawled on the ground like a beached whale, just know that the refs made him do that.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,366

Post#91 » by WiggOuts » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 pm

I hope this isn't laker fans complaining that a call didn't go their way...
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

WiggOuts wrote:I hope this isn't laker fans complaining that a call didn't go their way...

All while complaining about FT discrepancy, not one of you ever posted a video or bad call that backed it up.

The other team almost always shot more 3s and didnt have an AD or AR shooting in the lane the same way.
DuallyNoted
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#93 » by DuallyNoted » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 pm

Man I thought he must have blatantly slapped him or something given the initial reaction by everyone. If anything it should be a tech for flopping after that light breeze went across his face. LOL at people trying to say this was a flagrant.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,111

Post#94 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

thebigbird wrote:LeBron hatred really has people trying to rationalize a situation where the refs call a foul live, the refs watch a reply showing DLo get smacked across the face, and the refs overturn the foul call. It’s unbelievable

Review the rules, it has nothing to do with "LeBron hatred" unless you think the Refs/Review office are "A bunch of LeBron haters."
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,472

Post#95 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 pm

I'm 100% okay with the refs calling every marginal contact (such as the D-Lo one) a foul for the Lakers if they are willing to call a foul on AD every time he grabs Jokic around the waist when Nikola spins past him. It'll take just 6 post ups and AD will be out of the game.

Deal, Lakers fans? :lol:
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,177

Post#96 » by Darthlukey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Lakers are losing their minds that the refs didn't gift them a win LOL

The call was the wrong call. But given the astronomical benefit the lakers have had from the refs for the past 2 seasons (we can go back longer im sure), its hard to take them complaining about calls seriously. Without the huge benefit of free throws relative to the rest of the league its unlikely they make the play this season or last.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#97 » by Darthlukey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:I'm 100% okay with the refs calling every marginal contact (such as the D-Lo one) a foul for the Lakers if they are willing to call a foul on AD every time he grabs Jokic around the waist when Nikola spins past him. It'll take just 6 post ups and AD will be out of the game.

Deal, Lakers fans? :lol:

Reggie had the audacity to call one of those plays clean defence, completely ignoring the off hand tying Joker up
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#98 » by Darthlukey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
thebigbird wrote:LeBron hatred really has people trying to rationalize a situation where the refs call a foul live, the refs watch a reply showing DLo get smacked across the face, and the refs overturn the foul call. It’s unbelievable

Review the rules, it has nothing to do with "LeBron hatred" unless you think the Refs/Review office are "A bunch of LeBron haters."

How could the league hate lebron, the league got the lakers to the play in the past 2 seasons?
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#99 » by Darthlukey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
WiggOuts wrote:I hope this isn't laker fans complaining that a call didn't go their way...

All while complaining about FT discrepancy, not one of you ever posted a video or bad call that backed it up.

The other team almost always shot more 3s and didnt have an AD or AR shooting in the lane the same way.

To be fair though, AR is good due to the free throws he benefits from as a laker, not the other way around. If some team is ever foolish enough to trade for him, his drop off will be huge
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,369

Post#100 » by levon » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:12 pm

KrAzY3 wrote:I think the issue is, on that play at least you can't call a shooting foul on something that happened after the shot. It was called a shooting foul right?

The Lakers were in the bonus anyway, so that would've been two free throws if it was a "loose ball" foul, which it wasn't. It was clearly a shooting foul. This is no different than when a defender blocks a shot up top but hits a defender elsewhere. It's a terrible call.

Return to The General Board