Stephen Curry Broke NBA Fans

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

LockoutSeason
Ballboy
And1: 32

Re: Stephen Curry Broke NBA Fans 

Post#21 » by LockoutSeason » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:35 pm

Lebron is 39 years old and not capable of finishing in traffic like he used to. If he has a wide open 3, he’s taking it.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,421
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#22 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
blueNorange wrote:lebron took a wide open three

even in 1995 that’s the right shot to take

A 40-44% shot for game when there's an open layup available and 16 seconds on the clock is never a good look.

Where was the open layup? I don’t see it. In fact I see 3 players standing directly in the lane in position to contest an open layup.

Gordon was face guarding AD with his back to the play he's technically in the paint but effectively out of the play. Jokic is shading AD at the other end of the paint . The third defender is Jamal **** Murray. LeBron gets a full head of steam and what happens? Murray who never draws charges draws one on LeBron? Jokic makes a spectacular play to go around both AD and Gordon to meet Lebron at the rim and packs it? Doubt it.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#23 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:38 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:I don't totally agree, however, I will agree that Lebron had been killing the Nuggets driving to the rim in the 4th quarter. They couldn't keep him from driving hard with his left. Then again, he did look gassed at the end as well. I think fatigue played a factor in his decision to settle for the three. Even if he had stopped and taken a midrange jumper as opposed to the 3, no one would be upset that you gave a man who had hit 3 threes up until that point an open look with the potential to break the tie.

You see these guys get absolutely gassed every game and you start wondering if the next big advancement in strategy doesn’t involve getting some mid range back in the game for energy management. It might not win in a math contest but maybe Tim Duncan was right to take some 15 foot bankers every now and then. Keep some energy in the tank throughout the game at the cost of some %. And it’s more reliable, longer shots and drives drop off the most during fatigue. Mid range is a bit more reliable especially when the refs are letting stuff go more in the playoffs

Isn't the fatigue mostly on the defensive side guarding that much space? I don't see why mid range is less energy consuming vs a 3. And do you just pull up at 15 when driving from the 3? Is that helping?
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,369

Post#24 » by levon » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm

He should've taken it in and dunked it over 3 Nuggets in the clutch as a 40 year old. Such a weak ass player.

I don't think Curry's the one that's broken fans.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#25 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
blueNorange wrote:lebron took a wide open three

even in 1995 that’s the right shot to take

A 40-44% shot for game when there's an open layup available and 16 seconds on the clock is never a good look.

You make it sound like Lebron was on fastbreak all alone, the paint was still guarded. I need to look back, but I dont remember being outraged he took a 3, and I really would have if a wide open lay up was an option.

EDIT: Ok, I watched the tape, and literally 3 Nuggets and 1 Laker was inside the paint when it happened. Someone on PC will no doubt provide a screenshot. Even tho a chance at a lay up was possible, where was the open part?

Gordon will have to leave AD to contest, Murray might as well be a cone to Lebron, and Jokic needs to stay with AD so AD doesn't get an easy putback. A contested LeBron layup with a full head of steam is more likely to go in than any wide open 3.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,833

Post#26 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm

Opened this thread thinking it was about broke NBA fans hating on Curry smh
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,895

Post#27 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 pm

E-Balla wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
E-Balla wrote:A 40-44% shot for game when there's an open layup available and 16 seconds on the clock is never a good look.

You make it sound like Lebron was on fastbreak all alone, the paint was still guarded. I need to look back, but I dont remember being outraged he took a 3, and I really would have if a wide open lay up was an option.

EDIT: Ok, I watched the tape, and literally 3 Nuggets and 1 Laker was inside the paint when it happened. Someone on PC will no doubt provide a screenshot. Even tho a chance at a lay up was possible, where was the open part?

Gordon will have to leave AD to contest, Murray might as well be a cone to Lebron, and Jokic needs to stay with AD so AD doesn't get an easy putback. A contested LeBron layup with a full head of steam is more likely to go in than any wide open 3.

Maybe, but the lane was not nearly as obvious ss initial comments would suggest. Most guys where there inside, playing defense, Lebron just dropped his man on perimeter. Looked like a good decision to me.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,515

Post#28 » by Myth » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm

He may be 68% around the rim, but so much of that is opportunistic, as much of basketball is. He can’t get 68% whenever he wants. With limited time and a tie, refs are also more likely to swallow the whistle with contact. A 40% three point shooter at the top of the 3 with game time beyond the shot clock and about 15 feet of space between him and the next defender is a great shot. He’d be crucified if he dribbled in and missed a contested layup (both Gordon and Jokic were under the basket) or got another turnover doing a pass out if D collapses.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Opened this thread thinking it was about broke NBA fans hating on Curry smh

I thought it was about Steph "breaking" fans hearts, due to his early exit or smth. Steph being so liked and all.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#30 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:50 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
UcanUwill wrote: You make it sound like Lebron was on fastbreak all alone, the paint was still guarded. I need to look back, but I dont remember being outraged he took a 3, and I really would have if a wide open lay up was an option.

Maybe, but the lane was not nearly as obvious ss initial comments would suggest. Most guys where there inside, playing defense, Lebron just dropped his man on perimeter. Looked like a good decision to me.

This is why I said Curry broke y'alls brains because on what planet was that a good shot? In real time when I saw the push off I thought he was about to go straight to the rim, when he picked it up I thought maybe a give and go with DLo, I didn't think he was going to shoot it until he did. I've been on this website saying LeBron needs to take more contested layups for game for years now. It's just a way more consistent look than an open 3. Situational basketball if you need 2 to win you get that.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#31 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:52 pm

Myth wrote:He may be 68% around the rim, but so much of that is opportunistic, as much of basketball is. He can’t get 68% whenever he wants. With limited time and a tie, refs are also more likely to swallow the whistle with contact. A 40% three point shooter at the top of the 3 with game time beyond the shot clock and about 15 feet of space between him and the next defender is a great shot. He’d be crucified if he dribbled in and missed a contested layup or got another turnover doing a pass out if D collapses.

He's 78% at the rim, 68% on layups, 61% on contested 2 pointers (includes midrange), 53% on tightly contested 2 pointers (also includes midrange), 47% in the paint outside of the restricted area. All of that is better than 44% on open 3s. The most likely result of that shot is what we saw happen.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#32 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm

E-Balla wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Image

This is why I said Curry broke y'alls brains because on what planet was that a good shot? In real time when I saw the push off I thought he was about to go straight to the rim, when he picked it up I thought maybe a give and go with DLo, I didn't think he was going to shoot it until he did. I've been on this website saying LeBron needs to take more contested layups for game for years now. It's just a way more consistent look than an open 3. Situational basketball if you need 2 to win you get that.

I dont think Curry has anything to do with it. In 2005 I would have thought the same. We never had these shots before Curry? Guy takes that shot even in the 80s.

We always had "why doesnt LeBron just drive every time" takes when he was in his prime, but it is easier to say than do.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,621

Post#33 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 pm

NBA offenses are slaughtering NBA defenses now based on ORTG. Basically Steph, MDA is the correct way to run an offense. But it is less enjoyable for me so I'd wish they moved the line back to discourage 3 point spam.
lessthanjake
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,235

Post#34 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:56 pm

I think there’s some truth to this in the sense that, in that situation with the game tied right near the end, the expected number of points scored is less important than the chance of scoring at all. So, even if shooting the three there might actually be the better choice in the middle of the game, it’s much more dubious in that specific situation. That said, it wasn’t the very end of the game, so there definitely would’ve been some marginal value in getting 3 points instead of 2. In a vacuum, driving to the hoop was probably the better play overall, but taking the three wasn’t egregiously stupid IMO. And it may not have been suboptimal at all if LeBron didn’t feel like he had the legs to successfully drive in and finish.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#35 » by VancouverRaps » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 pm

He could’ve taken a step forward for sure, I’ve seen this happen a few times as well and it blows my mind. In a tie game the only thing that matters is fg% not efg% but some players/teams seem to forget that
We the Champs
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#36 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I dont think Curry has anything to do with it. In 2005 I would have thought the same. We never had these shots before Curry? Guy takes that shot even in the 80s.

We always had "why doesnt LeBron just drive every time" takes when he was in his prime, but it is easier to say than do.

LeBron has always had this problem and it's always been a conversation. This is just the first time I've heard people argue so strongly for it. You used to be in the minority, now you're not just a majority but a vast majority. Not to mention usually back then Bron drove to the paint and passed out with two bigs and a G already on him. There's nobody with a realistic shot at making a strong contest on Lebron in this play. It was just an open runway.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#37 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:10 pm

lessthanjake wrote:I think there’s some truth to this in the sense that, in that situation with the game tied right near the end, the expected number of points scored is less important than the chance of scoring at all. So, even if shooting the three there might actually be the better choice in the middle of the game, it’s much more dubious in that specific situation. That said, it wasn’t the very end of the game, so there definitely would’ve been some marginal value in getting 3 points instead of 2. In a vacuum, driving to the hoop was probably the better play overall, but taking the three wasn’t egregiously stupid IMO. And it may not have been suboptimal at all if LeBron didn’t feel like he had the legs to successfully drive in and finish.

It's a bad choice by Bron but not egregious. What's egregious is people saying it was the right play. This thread isn't critiquing LeBron. He was hot and got cocky that's common.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,128

Post#38 » by EmpireFalls » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 pm

E-Balla wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
E-Balla wrote:A 40-44% shot for game when there's an open layup available and 16 seconds on the clock is never a good look.

Where was the open layup? I don’t see it. In fact I see 3 players standing directly in the lane in position to contest an open layup.

Gordon was face guarding AD with his back to the play he's technically in the paint but effectively out of the play. Jokic is shading AD at the other end of the paint . The third defender is Jamal **** Murray. LeBron gets a full head of steam and what happens? Murray who never draws charges draws one on LeBron? Jokic makes a spectacular play to go around both AD and Gordon to meet Lebron at the rim and packs it? Doubt it.

Most likely scenario? He gets fouled and shoots 2 at the line. 75% fT shooter 50% chance of making both. Percentage wise not that different from the 3 ball, no?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#39 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm

VancouverRaps wrote:He could’ve taken a step forward for sure, I’ve seen this happen a few times as well and it blows my mind. In a tie game the only thing that matters is fg% not efg% but some players/teams seem to forget that

Great point, but leading by 3 rather than 2 is still a vast difference. Yes, he gambled on making sure he takes a three instead of just taking a shot, it didn't pay off.

I just do not see how its an open runway, we and E-Bally just see two different things here.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#40 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:36 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Where was the open layup? I don’t see it. In fact I see 3 players standing directly in the lane in position to contest an open layup.

Most likely scenario? He gets fouled and shoots 2 at the line. 75% fT shooter 50% chance of making both. Percentage wise not that different from the 3 ball, no?

If I had to choose, I take FTs on those odds for sure, I probably just take 1 point if if was offered. Personally, I diaagree it was this black or white tho, defense was right at the basket, he could have gotten nothing, I just do not see him passing up sonething guaranteed like its being claimed, either option had risk, he took a wide open shot. If he makes it, they can send Nuggets to the line and have all the cushing at that point.

Return to The General Board