Jokic brothers Update: NBA investigating an assault on fan by one of the Jokic brothers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,904

Re: Jokic brothers Update: NBA investigating an assault on fan by one of the Jokic brothers 

Post#241 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 pm

Drakeem wrote:
rand wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:Don't talk crap and don't get hit. Simple.

You have the right to talk crap. You don't have the right to hit someone for talking crap.
I think here lies the problem in general with a lot of what goes on outside today, and while I still maintain my stance of the punch was unwarranted and escalated things way too far, we as a society reward or shield the instigators of situations far too often. More should be done to punish the person who throws the stone and hides their hand because if the spirit of the law is to keep society orderly and peaceful, people instigating situations to happen is going against that ideal.

I mean he did get hit in the face for instigating. It's not like he got nothing out of it.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,063

Re: Jokic brothers Update: NBA investigating an assault on fan by one of the Jokic brothers 

Post#242 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Drakeem wrote:
rand wrote:You have the right to talk crap. You don't have the right to hit someone for talking crap.
I think here lies the problem in general with a lot of what goes on outside today, and while I still maintain my stance of the punch was unwarranted and escalated things way too far, we as a society reward or shield the instigators of situations far too often. More should be done to punish the person who throws the stone and hides their hand because if the spirit of the law is to keep society orderly and peaceful, people instigating situations to happen is going against that ideal.

I mean he did get hit in the face for instigating. It's not like he got nothing out of it.
But it wasn't a legal action. The brother got punished for the punch. There needs to now be a separate punishment for escalating the situation to a physical one.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,904

Post#243 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:49 pm

Drakeem wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Drakeem wrote:I think here lies the problem in general with a lot of what goes on outside today, and while I still maintain my stance of the punch was unwarranted and escalated things way too far, we as a society reward or shield the instigators of situations far too often. More should be done to punish the person who throws the stone and hides their hand because if the spirit of the law is to keep society orderly and peaceful, people instigating situations to happen is going against that ideal.

But it wasn't a legal action. The brother got punished for the punch. There needs to now be a separate punishment for escalating the situation to a physical one.

Maybe just me, but I think he's learned his lesson. I don't see value in constantly trying to create even increasing punishments for everything. Sometimes we're all better off just moving on.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#244 » by lambchop » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Drakeem wrote:
lambchop wrote:
Drakeem wrote:I think here lies the problem in general with a lot of what goes on outside today, and while I still maintain my stance of the punch was unwarranted and escalated things way too far, we as a society reward or shield the instigators of situations far too often. More should be done to punish the person who throws the stone and hides their hand because if the spirit of the law is to keep society orderly and peaceful, people instigating situations to happen is going against that ideal.

The outcome is still a bunch of dudes acting on impulse and normalizing all kinds of violent physical behavior.

Most verbal instigators are mentally ill anyway. The stoic approach usually works best. They retreat and go back to their caves to masturbate to hentai once they realize no one is giving them any attention.

The end game of that is just a bunch of honour killing, because guys want to "keep it real". People are getting their feelings hurt over mere words. Sometimes even one single word is enough to lead to homicide. It's just silly.

Those 2004 Pacers also felt like they were doing the right thing and keeping it real. It just ended up being an awkward experience for everyone involved and then bogus dress codes and other garbage were implemented to help guys behave.
Stop placing words in my mouth that I didn't say. People who take the law into their own hands should be punished. However, the same way how we have laws regarding obscene acts in public to make sure people can get through their day normally is the same way we should be policing the people who end up being the ones at the root of some of these problems.

Whether its the workplace, just on the street, at a group meet up, etc, the instigator almost always gets off free. It's showing people that being an **** is promoted and supported as long as you can get the other person to bite on it. Lets punish all parties to the extent that they escalated the situation. The dude throwing the punch can get a much bigger penalty, but lets not let the first guy just be the victim either (no longer talking about this particular situation).
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,257

Post#245 » by socal74 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:13 pm

This is hilarious. The lengths that people would go to to protect a violent act just becuase the perpetrators last name is Jokic. Some of you "fans" really take it to the next level of fandom
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,312

Re: Jokic brothers 

Post#246 » by Biff » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:33 pm

DLoMor wrote:
Meeksology wrote:
DLoMor wrote:Should Jokic get fined or suspended for his brothers actions? That isn’t right.

Wtf why should Jokic get suspended? I agree this isnt right and his BROTHERS should get punished, but Nikola had NOTHING to do with it.

It’s his brothers though, he needs to keep them in control especially in the arena. His brothers his responsibility, isn’t that how it is? Or should be?

They're grown men and responsible for themselves. Jokic is not in any way shape or form responsible for his brothers actions. If the NBA finds them at fault they can ban them from attending games.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,133

Post#247 » by The-Power » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
stoo wrote:i am pacifist, but i support hitting people in the mouth when they talk too much.

Then you're not a pacifist at all lmao

"I'm a vegetarian but of course I do enjoy my daily spare ribs and hamburgers."
"I'm religious but I really don't understand how people can believe in God."
"I'm a feminist but this whole idea of equality is just not something I can get behind."

Sometimes people just make sense.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,852

Post#248 » by Pointgod » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm

These guys are the definition of thugs and not in the racially coded way. This **** is a lifetime ban, don’t care what was said. Have security deal with disrespectful fans. You can’t just be assaulting people.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,870

Post#249 » by Beethoven » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:58 pm

Not a good characteristic running through this family. Championship or not, nothing compares to how you deal with people and your character in life. That's first and foremost.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,870

Post#250 » by Beethoven » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:59 pm

The-Power wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
stoo wrote:i am pacifist, but i support hitting people in the mouth when they talk too much.

"I'm a feminist but this whole idea of equality is just not something I can get behind."

You absolutely don't make any sense. Thanks.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,230

Post#251 » by stoo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:03 pm

The-Power wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

being pacifist doesn't mean you're not going to respond to a verbal provocation with physical force when such respond is the best course of action. it means your preferred way of resolving problem is via dialog etc. but sometimes it is not possible, because it depends on other people too
NotSinceWilt
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,133

Post#252 » by The-Power » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 pm

stoo wrote:
The-Power wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

being pacifist doesn't mean you're not going to respond to a verbal provocation with physical force when such respond is the best course of action. it means your preferred way of resolving problem is via dialog etc. but sometimes it is not possible, because it depends on other people too

Yeah, the brother could have died had he not thrown that punch. No alternative solution to the problem here, really.

I am also against stealing but sometimes people don't just give me their stuff when I want it and so what else can I do?
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,230

Post#253 » by stoo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:32 pm

The-Power wrote:
stoo wrote:
The-Power wrote:"I'm a vegetarian but of course I do enjoy my daily spare ribs and hamburgers."

Yeah, the brother could have died had he not thrown that punch. No alternative solution to the problem here, really.

I am also against stealing but sometimes people don't just give me their stuff when I want it and so what else can I do?

life is not only about living or dying. if that guy, for example, said "what, u're gonna hit me", jokic's brother had a full right to hit him. not legally, but legitimately

also, when somebody tries to steal something from you, let them have it. don't involve physical force as they didn't punch you
NotSinceWilt
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,852

Post#254 » by Pointgod » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 pm

What’s there to investigate, Jokic’s brother threw that punch. Caught in 4K!
dWadeOwnzYou
Rookie
And1: 577

Post#255 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 pm

So whats the verdict? Sorry, not gonna sort through 11+ pages of bickering.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#256 » by lambchop » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm

stoo wrote:
The-Power wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

The whole responding to words with physical force is literally why domestic violence exists. Those dudes get into arguments with their women, who then "crosses the line" verbally whereupon the guy responds with physical force.

It never makes sense.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,698

Post#257 » by PlatinumState » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 pm

What if this is true
A man who said he was nearby posted on TikTok that the fan "spat on Nicola Jokic's child and tried to grab his wife, but his account of what may have started the altercation was not confirmed by The Denver Gazette.

Im not saying it is, we dont know but would that justify punching? What would you do in that situation?

Source
https://denvergazette.com/sports/denver-nuggets/nikola-jokic-brother-fan-punch/article_761e98ee-01ab-11ef-8da8-fbbba0ce3461.html
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,969

Post#258 » by AleksandarN » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 pm

PlatinumState wrote:What if this is true
A man who said he was nearby posted on TikTok that the fan "spat on Nicola Jokic's child and tried to grab his wife, but his account of what may have started the altercation was not confirmed by The Denver Gazette.

Im not saying it is, we dont know but would that justify punching? What would you do in that situation?

Source
https://denvergazette.com/sports/denver-nuggets/nikola-jokic-brother-fan-punch/article_761e98ee-01ab-11ef-8da8-fbbba0ce3461.html

If that is true then they are both wrong and I see how the family would react. Who spits on a baby?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#259 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 pm

Soooooo... what's the update? What are the FACTUAL penalties and reasoning for the incident?
HanzGruber
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,094

Post#260 » by HanzGruber » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 pm

PlatinumState wrote:What if this is true

Source

If that was true then of course it warrants a punch. But that seems far fetched

Return to The General Board