Pompliano: How Glen Taylor sabotaged the Wolves' Ownership Deal (thread)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,704

Re: Pompliano: How Glen Taylor sabotaged the Wolves' Ownership Deal (thread) 

Post#41 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:39 pm

Domejandro wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:It seems like this could be resolved easily. Taylor comes out and says “we had a hard cut off date for the final payment. Lore and Arod needed full league approval by date X. They missed it so I’m keeping the team.” The fact that he has not said this makes me believe their must be more we don’t know.

For what it is worth, Glen Taylor has pretty much directly said this. This article goes over Glen Taylor's perspective (to be clear, don't take this for gospel, it is just important context to respond to your point).
https://www.startribune.com/glen-taylor-interview-timberwolves-sale-marc-lore-alex-rodriguez-patrick-reusse/600354754/
Spoiler:
"The deal is not done. There are deadlines to be met. As always, the NBA must be satisfied with new ownership, as well as its financials."

The Lore-Rodriguez tandem already had been given an extension. That was reached on March 27 — this Wednesday.

"They missed it," Taylor said.

This was in a short phone interview with Taylor from his home in Mankato on Thursday. A couple of hours earlier, the Timberwolves sent out a news release that the NBA team and their partners, the Lynx, were no longer for sale.

"Lore and ARod now own 36 percent," Taylor said by phone. "I will work with them, as I do with my other limited."

There have been "NBA insiders" stating that the relationship between Lore, ARod and Taylor had "deteriorated" in recent weeks. Not enough so that Lore declined to make a pitch to Taylor for an investment in another company in February.

On Thursday, Taylor was asked about those reports. "I don't know if that's accurate," he said. "Lore told me he has been busy 24/7 with other projects. And ARod — he has a lot of people to meet when he's at a game.

"The deadline had been pushed back, and they missed it. That's what led to this."

2:42 his lawyers directly state that they failed to complete the process on time.

Note: This is a fluff piece, but Glen Taylor directly commits to paying as much as it takes to keep the team together.

This has been an ongoing issue, here is an interview from 18 days before the deadline.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

If this is true then I think you have to side with Taylor. Lore and Arod dropped the ball big time.

I guess the question is: do Lore and Arod want to own 36% of the team? Taylor/Lore/Arod probably won’t have the best working relationship going forward. Does Taylor want to keep Connelly as President (if was in fact a Lore/Arod hire)?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,138

Post#42 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:56 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:It seems like this could be resolved easily. Taylor comes out and says “we had a hard cut off date for the final payment. Lore and Arod needed full league approval by date X. They missed it so I’m keeping the team.” The fact that he has not said this makes me believe their must be more we don’t know.

For what it is worth, Glen Taylor has pretty much directly said this. This article goes over Glen Taylor's perspective (to be clear, don't take this for gospel, it is just important context to respond to your point).
https://www.startribune.com/glen-taylor-interview-timberwolves-sale-marc-lore-alex-rodriguez-patrick-reusse/600354754/
Spoiler:
"The deal is not done. There are deadlines to be met. As always, the NBA must be satisfied with new ownership, as well as its financials."

The Lore-Rodriguez tandem already had been given an extension. That was reached on March 27 — this Wednesday.

"They missed it," Taylor said.

This was in a short phone interview with Taylor from his home in Mankato on Thursday. A couple of hours earlier, the Timberwolves sent out a news release that the NBA team and their partners, the Lynx, were no longer for sale.

"Lore and ARod now own 36 percent," Taylor said by phone. "I will work with them, as I do with my other limited."

There have been "NBA insiders" stating that the relationship between Lore, ARod and Taylor had "deteriorated" in recent weeks. Not enough so that Lore declined to make a pitch to Taylor for an investment in another company in February.

On Thursday, Taylor was asked about those reports. "I don't know if that's accurate," he said. "Lore told me he has been busy 24/7 with other projects. And ARod — he has a lot of people to meet when he's at a game.

"The deadline had been pushed back, and they missed it. That's what led to this."

2:42 his lawyers directly state that they failed to complete the process on time.

Note: This is a fluff piece, but Glen Taylor directly commits to paying as much as it takes to keep the team together.

This has been an ongoing issue, here is an interview from 18 days before the deadline.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

If this is true then I think you have to side with Taylor. Lore and Arod dropped the ball big time.

I guess the question is: do Lore and Arod want to own 36% of the team? Taylor/Lore/Arod probably won’t have the best working relationship going forward. Does Taylor want to keep Connelly as President (if was in fact a Lore/Arod hire)?

To be fair, it is entirely possible that Glen Taylor is leaning on a technicality that wouldn't be upheld in court (if Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore are correct about how the extension process works). My impulse is that this is not true, given that Glen Taylor is the Bill Russell of business-related lawsuits, but discounting that completely would be wrong.

I expect this to be an extended battle that could take a while, but we will see. The optimistic angle is that Glen Taylor now has an incentive to drive up wild Luxury-Tax payments to squeeze both of them financially. The pessimistic angle is that this is a huge distraction that could implode things. That said, Glen Taylor is fully comfortable with spending money on the Minnesota Timberwolves (it is one area where he is legitimately a reliable owner), and he has repeatedly praised Tim Connelly + Coach Finch, so I don't think there is a flight concern from those two for financial reasons.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,300

Post#43 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:05 pm

Domejandro wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
Domejandro wrote:For what it is worth, Glen Taylor has pretty much directly said this. This article goes over Glen Taylor's perspective (to be clear, don't take this for gospel, it is just important context to respond to your point).
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

To be fair, it is entirely possible that Glen Taylor is leaning on a technicality that wouldn't be upheld in court (if Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore are correct about how the extension process works). My impulse is that this is not true, given that Glen Taylor is the Bill Russell of business-related lawsuits, but discounting that completely would be wrong.

I expect this to be an extended battle that could take a while, but we will see. The optimistic angle is that Glen Taylor now has an incentive to drive up wild Luxury-Tax payments to squeeze both of them financially. The pessimistic angle is that this is a huge distraction that could implode things. That said, Glen Taylor is fully comfortable with spending money on the Minnesota Timberwolves (it is one area where he is legitimately a reliable owner), and he has repeatedly praised Tim Connelly + Coach Finch, so I don't think there is a flight concern from those two for financial reasons.

He's paid a total of 25M in luxury tax over 30 years.

I wonder how much he's taken in from staying under...
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,138

Post#44 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

The Minnesota Timberwolves have been in the Luxury-Tax four times, which is tied for 16th place (they've paid the 20th most). Glen Taylor was willing to stay in the Luxury-Tax during a brutal 16-50 season less than five years ago. They will be in the Luxury-Tax this season if they win the Championship (easily could have traded a player + second to avoid that possibility!). Additionally, Glen broke the NBA salary cap with the Kevin Garnett contract, and played a key role in ruining Kevin Garnett's prime by trying to circumvent the new salary cap rules to give Joe Smith a ton of money.

For Glen Taylor's many faults (primarily making terrible hires and then being hands-off), he is open to spending money on the Minnesota Timberwolves. He's largely eaten the costs of renovating parts of the arena to facilitate the Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez purchase, and threw down huge amounts of money to make high profile hires (from Tom Thibodeau to Tim Connelly).
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,825

Post#45 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Personally, I'm team math and logic.

Anyone can choose to answer this simple sample question if they like.... you buy shares of a team for $1.50 at the start. Your $1.50 shares are now valued at $2.94. You can offer to anyone to sell a share anywhere from $1.50 to $2.94 without technically losing a single dollar, because your deal is buying every share for $1.50 average price at every tier in the sale, vs the current value. But "ALL through the process" you can't find money and financing, or sell stakes, even by offering what is basically instant free money (or double the collateral if you like) and "are having trouble getting the money"?

Riiiiiiight? Something isn't right.

I think this is a good point. They have a great deal! But ..

- If Lore and ARod truly have the bucks, why are they using an extension at every deadline?

- If Lore and ARod truly have the bucks, why did they bring in the Google Exec for 4% of their 20% last buy in?

- And if Lore and ARod truly have the bucks, why did their first financing group, Carlisle, dump them? Why are they using a finance group at all?

It’s a very scary time to be a Wolves fan, regardless of the outcome.
shrink
RealGM

Post#46 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 pm

Domejandro wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Domejandro wrote:To be fair, it is entirely possible that Glen Taylor is leaning on a technicality that wouldn't be upheld in court (if Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore are correct about how the extension process works). My impulse is that this is not true, given that Glen Taylor is the Bill Russell of business-related lawsuits, but discounting that completely would be wrong.

The Minnesota Timberwolves have been in the Luxury-Tax four times, which is tied for 16th place (they've paid the 20th most). Glen Taylor was willing to stay in the Luxury-Tax during a brutal 16-50 season less than five years ago. They will be in the Luxury-Tax this season if they win the Championship (easily could have traded a player + second to avoid that possibility!). Additionally, Glen broke the NBA salary cap with the Kevin Garnett contract, and played a key role in ruining Kevin Garnett's prime by trying to circumvent the new salary cap rules to give Joe Smith a ton of money.

For Glen Taylor's many faults (primarily making terrible hires and then being hands-off), he is open to spending money on the Minnesota Timberwolves. He's largely eaten the costs of renovating parts of the arena to facilitate the Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez purchase, and threw down huge amounts of money to make high profile hires (from Tom Thibodeau to Tim Connelly).

All true, and well said.

One last thing I would add is that the 30 different owners have different spending strategies. A few (like Ballmer) are willing to spend massive amounts of money on the team. A few don’t ever want to cross the luxury threshold, and pick up a lux share at the end of the season. Taylor probably has the commonest approach - he’s an owner that will go into the lux when his team is a contender. The fact that MIN has been typically such a non-competitive team (and that free agent stars haven’t wanted to come to MIN), makes him look cheaper than he has been. He has had less opportunities to spend, but has spent at every opportunity (and sometimes even when the team isn’t that good).
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,601

Post#47 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 pm

Anyone can choose to answer this simple sample question if they like.... you buy shares of a team for $1.50 at the start. Your $1.50 shares are now valued at $2.94. You can offer to anyone to sell a share anywhere from $1.50 to $2.94 without technically losing a single dollar, because your deal is buying every share for $1.50 average price at every tier in the sale, vs the current value. But "ALL through the process" you can't find money and financing, or sell stakes, even by offering what is basically instant free money (or double the collateral if you like) and "are having trouble getting the money"?

Did you read the OP link by any chance? I know you posted immediately trying to summarize it, but it feels like you actually didn't read it. All quotes below are directly from the article

You buy a share for $1.50. But it isn't any share. As the article mentions, normal shares go for 1.50. However, shares without control go for significantly less. They only go for a huge discount:

The easiest way to explain this dilemma is that limited partners typically receive a 30-40% discount on their investment because LP stakes don’t have any control or liquidity

{This is why Taylor was sued, his minority investors wanted out at 1.50 so much they even sued and lost.}

Suddenly your simple math problem starts looking pretty complicated, and the margin for selling at a gain is much smaller.

And lets also remember there is 4% annual escalation, as per the OP article again.
4% price escalator in the original agreement, meaning not only did these LPs not get their money out at a $1.5 billion valuation in 2021, but they are now earning just 4% annually on that locked up money

So now we are at not 1.50 a share but after 3 years we are at 1.68 a share. {I did an even 3 years, but if anyone wants to make that monthly and figure the months by all means correct it and let me know. At a certain point laziness is needed.}

So, what are the full market shares that have control worth? Personally I would feel safer using Forbes 2.50 a share price or Sportico's 2.80 price instead of 2.97, which feels a little aggressive imo as the most favorable to the Lore/Arod/Mystery financiers tbd. {Happy to give links if google is down elsewhere}

Using the most conservative numbers of 2.5 and a 40% discount those minority shares would be worth... 1.50 and would be a loss to buy. Using the 2.97 value you want, and still 40%, they are worth 1.78, and there is a chance to gain 10 cents a share. After lawyer fees (no way this deal isn't having lawyers, lol). Using the mid point Sportico value you get to 1.68 and the shares are perfectly break even.

This is at the 40% discount, while at 30% discount you get better math for Lore and Arod: $2.08, $1.96, and $1.75, so profitable at all 3 suggested valuations depending upon how high your transaction costs are.

All of which shows the actual margin and profit from selling the shares they don't yet even own doesn't appear to be as substantial as the initial cutesy math suggested..

Put another way, if this was such a slam dunk, why has the reporting all been about the struggle to find partners? Carlyle dropped out versus trying to make it work by the NBA rules, and any new owner needs to not just get NBA approval, but deal with the restrictions that come with that.

Again, the article makes it sound like the idea of selling at a profit wasn't happening (or at least was significantly reduced):

Sources with direct knowledge of the financing process told me Rodriguez and Lore had Dyal Capital Partners ready to go as a backup plan. The terms weren’t as good — Rodriguez was reportedly trying to sell shares at a higher price than the 2021 valuation and pocket the difference — but Dyal already owns several minority equity stakes across the NBA and was seen as a safe backup plan because the firm is already a pre-approved NBA investment partner.

And this is with Dyal itself limited to just 20% ownership (or 11% more than Arod could muster when he was supposed to reach 20% by now). The potentially new owners needed to both sell off enough to afford the team *and* keep enough that the NBA approved an ownership group that, if spread too thin and financially too cash poor, would be problematic.

I think the last one would be the real kicker as a Lore at 27%, Arod at 9%, Dyal at 20% and maybe Schmidt at 24% might do more than raise eyebrows. It looks much safer if we saw more reporting that Lore was ready to put more money in of his own, but I haven't seen that.

And then all this is before the put option. Which is linked to directly in the OP article, and gives Taylor (and any remaining original investors) the right to sell the remaining 20% even if Lore Arod didn't want to buy it. I haven't heard this discussed much, but to actually get the NBA to approve you might think the NBA might ask a few questions like where is the next couple of hundred million coming from that you would need to be legally able to buy.

And if you are wondering what happens if the Put option fails and Lore and Arod cannot find that money in time, well, then they are in debt. At 12% interest. On hundreds of millions. All while also not having enough money. It is a pretty scary scenario. Hopefully either they have tons of money, or the sale fails, or someone like Schmidt comes in and saves the day and becomes the new actual general partner, because the simple sell something for 2.50 and get even richer doesn't look like the simple math to me.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,440

Post#48 » by phanman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 pm

The more I read into this entire saga, the more I view Glen Taylor as some sort of Final Boss or premier villain on a TV show or movie. :lol:

From his POV, he wins either way:

- He's 83yo and a litigation process is almost guaranteed to go long. If it extends a few years out, he gets to enjoy the success of his team now and if he loses he gets the remaining balloon payment to finalize the deal
- He stepped aside to allow Lore & A-Rod to poach Conelly and the results is the team we are seeing today
- The team is projected to be in luxury tax hell but he has cut his ownership % in half while remaining a majority owner. He has pretty much cut his tax bill in half with A-Rod and Lore now responsible for their 36%
- All of his future tax bills will be funded by the 500m he now has sitting in his bank since he got 100% of the proceeds

What a damn G.

With all that said, I can understand the level of excitement for Minnesota fans to finally free themselves from Glen. A-Rod and Lore gave the franchise a jumpstart they desperately needed but I think with their limited capital and having to find funding elsewhere it was always going a nightmare scenario to keeping paying that bill.

The positive I do see here is that Glen Taylor is very old man and this is probably his last chance to see his NBA team win a championship. He now has the capital to fund these luxury tax bills to come and trapped A-Rod/Lore to help foot the bill without the control. I'd like to think he will have no issues paying to keep this team together, especially if they make it past Phoenix.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 pm

shrink wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

All true, and well said.

One last thing I would add is that the 30 different owners have different spending strategies. A few (like Ballmer) are willing to spend massive amounts of money on the team. A few don’t ever want to cross the luxury threshold, and pick up a lux share at the end of the season. Taylor probably has the commonest approach - he’s an owner that will go into the lux when his team is a contender. The fact that MIN has been typically such a non-competitive team (and that free agent stars haven’t wanted to come to MIN), makes him look cheaper than he has been. He has had less opportunities to spend, but has spent at every opportunity (and sometimes even when the team isn’t that good).

And there is your biggest red flag if he wins this.

He's been completely incapable of hiring/running an NBA franchise.

I'll admit I'm slightly terrified that Lore/ARod do not have the money to keep this going, but they've shown more about transforming a franchise in 2 years than Glen has for most of 30.

The fact that Connelly has an out the same offseason that controlling interest was to change hands also scares me. Maybe he's developed a good relationship with Glen and will stay no matter what, but maybe he came here tied to Lore/ARod.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,713

Post#50 » by Clav » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:16 pm

phanman wrote:The more I read into this entire saga, the more I view Glen Taylor as some sort of Final Boss or premier villain on a TV show or movie. :lol:

From his POV, he wins either way:

- He's 83yo and a litigation process is almost guaranteed to go long. If it extends a few years out, he gets to enjoy the success of his team now and if he loses he gets the remaining balloon payment to finalize the deal
- He stepped aside to allow Lore & A-Rod to poach Conelly and the results is the team we are seeing today
- The team is projected to be in luxury tax hell but he has cut his ownership % in half while remaining a majority owner. He has pretty much cut his tax bill in half with A-Rod and Lore now responsible for their 36%
- All of his future tax bills will be funded by the 500m he now has sitting in his bank since he got 100% of the proceeds

What a damn G.

While reading your post, I had to put on the Succession theme song because the part reads like Glen Taylor is the real-life version of Logan Roy. 8-)

Edit: "Alex, Marc. You are not serious people."
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,960

Post#51 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:23 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Did you read the OP link by any chance? I know you posted immediately trying to summarize it, but it feels like you actually didn't read it. All quotes below are directly from the article

You buy a share for $1.50. But it isn't any share. As the article mentions, normal shares go for 1.50. However, shares without control go for significantly less. They only go for a huge discount:

The easiest way to explain this dilemma is that limited partners typically receive a 30-40% discount on their investment because LP stakes don’t have any control or liquidity

{This is why Taylor was sued, his minority investors wanted out at 1.50 so much they even sued and lost.}

Suddenly your simple math problem starts looking pretty complicated, and the margin for selling at a gain is much smaller.

And lets also remember there is 4% annual escalation, as per the OP article again.
4% price escalator in the original agreement, meaning not only did these LPs not get their money out at a $1.5 billion valuation in 2021, but they are now earning just 4% annually on that locked up money

So now we are at not 1.50 a share but after 3 years we are at 1.68 a share. {I did an even 3 years, but if anyone wants to make that monthly and figure the months by all means correct it and let me know. At a certain point laziness is needed.}

So, what are the full market shares that have control worth? Personally I would feel safer using Forbes 2.50 a share price or Sportico's 2.80 price instead of 2.97, which feels a little aggressive imo as the most favorable to the Lore/Arod/Mystery financiers tbd. {Happy to give links if google is down elsewhere}

Using the most conservative numbers of 2.5 and a 40% discount those minority shares would be worth... 1.50 and would be a loss to buy. Using the 2.97 value you want, and still 40%, they are worth 1.78, and there is a chance to gain 10 cents a share. After lawyer fees (no way this deal isn't having lawyers, lol). Using the mid point Sportico value you get to 1.68 and the shares are perfectly break even.

This is at the 40% discount, while at 30% discount you get better math for Lore and Arod: $2.08, $1.96, and $1.75, so profitable at all 3 suggested valuations depending upon how high your transaction costs are.

All of which shows the actual margin and profit from selling the shares they don't yet even own doesn't appear to be as substantial as the initial cutesy math suggested..

Put another way, if this was such a slam dunk, why has the reporting all been about the struggle to find partners? Carlyle dropped out versus trying to make it work by the NBA rules, and any new owner needs to not just get NBA approval, but deal with the restrictions that come with that.

Again, the article makes it sound like the idea of selling at a profit wasn't happening (or at least was significantly reduced):

Sources with direct knowledge of the financing process told me Rodriguez and Lore had Dyal Capital Partners ready to go as a backup plan. The terms weren’t as good — Rodriguez was reportedly trying to sell shares at a higher price than the 2021 valuation and pocket the difference — but Dyal already owns several minority equity stakes across the NBA and was seen as a safe backup plan because the firm is already a pre-approved NBA investment partner.

And this is with Dyal itself limited to just 20% ownership (or 11% more than Arod could muster when he was supposed to reach 20% by now). The potentially new owners needed to both sell off enough to afford the team *and* keep enough that the NBA approved an ownership group that, if spread too thin and financially too cash poor, would be problematic.

I think the last one would be the real kicker as a Lore at 27%, Arod at 9%, Dyal at 20% and maybe Schmidt at 24% might do more than raise eyebrows. It looks much safer if we saw more reporting that Lore was ready to put more money in of his own, but I haven't seen that.

And then all this is before the put option. Which is linked to directly in the OP article, and gives Taylor (and any remaining original investors) the right to sell the remaining 20% even if Lore Arod didn't want to buy it. I haven't heard this discussed much, but to actually get the NBA to approve you might think the NBA might ask a few questions like where is the next couple of hundred million coming from that you would need to be legally able to buy.

And if you are wondering what happens if the Put option fails and Lore and Arod cannot find that money in time, well, then they are in debt. At 12% interest. On hundreds of millions. All while also not having enough money. It is a pretty scary scenario. Hopefully either they have tons of money, or the sale fails, or someone like Schmidt comes in and saves the day and becomes the new actual general partner, because the simple sell something for 2.50 and get even richer doesn't look like the simple math to me.

What a long yet terrible understanding of the point if what I was asking. did I read it.... good lord. Yes, it me that doesn't understand my own question. :roll:

Yes, they would have preferred a better deal, and looked for other shareholders that they could sell closer to cost that were cheaper than Dyal, but Dyal understood exactly the math I just stated and how good a deal it is and is why they are invested in multiple teams (and use $2,50 instead if you like over 2 years, its immaterial to the point that in 3 years that's a ridiculously good return).

And that's how easy is was to find the other partner. And to find the money, they already had a deal in principle waiting. The entire point was.....As opposed to believing all the tweets/"reporting" saying they can't raise the money, can't find other shareholders, THAT IS the entire point of the question is ....why would anyone actually beleive that with what the franchise is valued at NOW.

And with that....why would Taylor not want to shut them out, give them all of it back, and find another buyer where he can sell it all over again for near double? But why would anyone then take any of those tweets/"the reporting" or Taylor at face value. Seems to me its all more likely from the same one place.
shrink
RealGM

Post#52 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 pm

Double post
shrink
RealGM

Post#53 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:
Domejandro wrote:For Glen Taylor's many faults (primarily making terrible hires and then being hands-off), he is open to spending money on the Minnesota Timberwolves. He's largely eaten the costs of renovating parts of the arena to facilitate the Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez purchase, and threw down huge amounts of money to make high profile hires (from Tom Thibodeau to Tim Connelly).

All true, and well said.

Well he was completely capable of hiring and running a WNBA franchise, right? What changes?

Taylor’s biggest problems have been that he has made several bad hires on the GM side, and that he’s given them too long a leash before he fires them. For the record, he has acknowledged that, and has stepped aside, and uses a consulting group led by CEO Ethan Cassan, if I recall.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:All true, and well said.

Well he was completely capable of hiring and running a WNBA franchise, right? What changes?

Taylor’s biggest problems have been that he has made several bad hires on the GM side, and that he’s given them too long a leash before he fires them. For the record, he has acknowledged that, and has stepped aside, and uses a consulting group led by CEO Ethan Cassan, if I recall.

I wouldn't equate winning in the NBA to winning in the WNBA, but he absolutely made a great hire in Reeve and then got out of her way completely.

Do we know if Ethan Cassan is good at the job? Would he have gotten us Tim Connelly?

I also question how much he's willing to "step aside"...
HartfordWhalers

Post#55 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:31 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

What a long yet terrible understanding of the point if what I was asking. did I read it.... good lord. Yes, it me that doesn't understand my own question. :roll:

Yes, they would have preferred a better deal, and looked for other shareholders that they could sell closer to cost that were cheaper than Dyal, but Dyal understood exactly the math I just stated and how good a deal it is and is why they are invested in multiple teams (and use $2,50 instead if you like over 2 years, its immaterial to the point that in 3 years that's a ridiculously good return).

And that's how easy is was to find the other partner. And to find the money, they already had a deal in principle waiting. The entire point was.....As opposed to believing all the tweets all saying they can't raise the money, can't find other shareholders, THAT IS the entire point of the question is ....why would anyone actually beleive that with what the franchise is valued at.

And with that....why would Taylor not want to shut them out, give them all of it back, and find another buyer where he can sell it all over again for near double? But why would anyone then take any of those tweets or Taylor at face value.

Did you literally just skip all content not just in the article on why your math is wrong, but also when I spoonfed you what it said in quotes from the article even? And then just repeat it again? This might not be your lane.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#56 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:33 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Did you literally just skip all content not just in the article on why your math is wrong, but also when I spoonfed you what it said in quotes from the article even? And then just repeat it again? This might not be your lane.

Its not me that's out of my lane in the least, I completely understood it, and I can really see how that other thread got shut down now.
HartfordWhalers

Post#57 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Did you literally just skip all content not just in the article on why your math is wrong, but also when I spoonfed you what it said in quotes from the article even? And then just repeat it again? This might not be your lane.

Its not me that's out of my lane in the least, I completely understood it, and I can really see how that other thread got shut down now.

I mean you clearly don't.

Lets go step by step, slowly with numbers.

1) Do you get that non-controling shares are worth 30-40% less than the franchise value you keep saying they can be sold for? Franchise value is for ownership with control. The price for minority partners has always been less. {See quote in article or quote in post you ignored or do research on why minority owners sued in the Minnesota case even, or ...}

This seems a real basic one and reduces your margin of profit by over 'a dollar', yet you keep repeating it suggesting it is an issue. If we can get this one, we can go on to harder ones...
shrink
RealGM

Post#58 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I'll admit I'm slightly terrified that Lore/ARod do not have the money to keep this going, but they've shown more about transforming a franchise in 2 years than Glen has for most of 30.

The fact that Connelly has an out the same offseason that controlling interest was to change hands also scares me. Maybe he's developed a good relationship with Glen and will stay no matter what, but maybe he came here tied to Lore/ARod.

Tied to .. what? If he sticks with Lore/ARod, they aren’t looking to hire a GM.

Apparently opt clauses aren’t that rare, and GMs use them for negotiating extensions. The timing of this release had its intended effect - it scares you. But let’s look at it another way. Set aside all the names: What would I look for in a boss if I was a GM?

First, Connelly moved his family to Minnesota, and has talked about how he and his family love it in Minnesota. Maybe that’s just lip service, but I would want a GM job where I wouldn’t have to relocate. Taylor has shown he refuses to move the team.

Second, I want to get paid. We know Taylor has the bucks, and we know he agreed to pay Connelly $8 mil a year, 2nd highest GM salary.

Third, I want job satisfaction. That means I don’t want the owner empowering me, and not second guessing me. This may have been a downside for us as fans when he made bad hires, but Taylor doesn’t kibbitz. In fact, he showed it to Connelly, allowing him (and taking on the salaries) to do the Gobert trade, even when he (like most), thought it was a bad deal at the time.

Fourth, I don’t want to have to gut the team I built because the owner won’t pay the lux. Do we know that this opt-out wasn’t timed to Lore and ARod taking over because of the continual questions nationally if they could afford the team if/when they took over?

Fifth, I want to enjoy the spoils of the very successful team I constructed. Connelly missed out on a ring in Denver, even though he was a big reason the Nuggets won last year. If he stays in Minnesota, they could be a contender.

Taylor has been nothing but complimentary of him, even thinking he was too good to want to come here. I don’t just assume that because fans dislike Taylor, Connelly does too, and so much so, that he will quit an $8 mil a year dream job over it.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#59 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

I mean you clearly don't.

Lets go step by step, slowly with numbers.

1) Do you get that non-controling shares are worth 30-40% less than the franchise value you keep saying they can be sold for? Franchise value is for ownership with control. The price for minority partners has always been less. {See quote in article or quote in post you ignored or do research on why minority owners sued in the Minnesota case even, or ...}

This seems a real basic one and reduces your margin of profit by over 'a dollar', yet you keep repeating it suggesting it is an issue. If we can get this one, we can go on to harder ones...

Wow....

The "non-controlling shares" would never go at that much of a discount and given the fact we have just seen what minority stakes (with ZERO voting rights) were just sold for in Toronto and Dallas, being based on the entire team valuation and of far more. What you are even proposing is beyond unlikely. And if they did go at a discount, it's not likely going to be further from $2.94, or $2.50 if you like, and closer to $1.50.

Again the entire point is.... why take the reporting that they were having such a hard time at face value? You did get that part of the question right? There have been two buyers in other locations that just stepped up and paid far more for no discount.

But again, I'm not out of my lane here, before we "move onto harder ones", it's not me that still doesn't understand my own question.

Reallly understanding how that other thread was shut down again though.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 949

Post#60 » by Decipher » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

Domejandro wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Domejandro wrote:To be fair, it is entirely possible that Glen Taylor is leaning on a technicality that wouldn't be upheld in court (if Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore are correct about how the extension process works). My impulse is that this is not true, given that Glen Taylor is the Bill Russell of business-related lawsuits, but discounting that completely would be wrong.

Cheers

Not a Twolves fan but I was always under the impression that Taylor threw money at the team and that there were worse owners out there

As for this article, simply looks like the team is worth a lot more now and Taylor saw an opportunity to take advantage- just business

Return to The General Board