How can we replicate this in the regular season?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,940

How can we replicate this in the regular season? 

Post#1 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:46 pm

When I was young, I remember how competitive and exciting regular season games were, particularly between contending teams.
I've got to admit that so far, the playoffs have been really enjoyable and exciting.

I literally can't bare to watch regular season games now, and I know that many fans share this sentiment.
It seems that the in-season tournament was created for this reason and it didn't really pan out.

So biases and cliche "yells at cloud" answers aside, what would you answer if proposed the following question by Silver.......

How can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

..... Imagine the excitement if we had games more similar to these DEN/LA games in the regular season. They're far more competitive.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,775

Re: How can we replicate this in the regular season? 

Post#2 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:46 pm

Give defense a chance.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#3 » by Nuntius » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm

bledredwine wrote:Beyond surface-level answers, how can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

We can't. The playoffs are 7-game series that determine which team's season ends. The regular season are 82 games that only determine whether you make the playoffs or not and which team you're playing against.

They aren't supposed to be the same. One is a marathon, the other is a duel.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#4 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Nuntius wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Beyond surface-level answers, how can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

We can't. The playoffs are 7-game series that determine which team's season ends. The regular season are 82 games that only determine whether you make the playoffs or not and which team you're playing against.

Part of me wants to agree, but part of me remembers the Bulls/Knicks games in the 90s, which were just as intense as the playoff games. Maybe the added aggression to the game naturally created more competitiveness though.

Then again, Miller, Ewing, and Jordan were some of the fiercest competitors and maybe it was for that reason.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,888

Post#5 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:53 pm

58 game season. It will never happen though
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#6 » by Nuntius » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 pm

bledredwine wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Part of me wants to agree, but part of me remembers the Bulls/Knicks games in the 90s, which were just as intense as the playoff games. Maybe the added aggression to the game naturally created more competitiveness though.

Then again, Miller, Ewing, and Jordan were some of the fiercest competitors and maybe it was for that reason.

There are still a lot of very intense games throughout the season. As a Pacers fan, I have to say that most of the games we played against the teams that ended up close to us in the standings (New York, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Orlando, Philly, Miami) were pretty intense, with the ones against Milwaukee having playoff-level atmosphere.

But you will only get those kind of times when there's some kind of history between the two teams or when the two sides are close in the standings and it's close to the end of the season.

You are never, ever going to see this kind of intensity in a random Denver-Washington or Boston-Portland game in November.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,137

Post#7 » by EmpireFalls » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:00 pm

Only possible way is shortening the regular season and/or giving some extra incentive in the games.

But that’s what makes the playoffs the playoffs. They are meaningfully different games than regular season. This is true in every single sport with a playoff format not just the NBA.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,033

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 pm

…and you never did in the past, either. Selective memory.

Yes, the game used to be a lot more physical, so if that’s what you want, you need rule changes to allow it. Not going to happen, though. But even in the Bad Boys to KG Celtics time frame, there were tons of meaningless, low effort games. The only sport mostly immune to this is football, and they play 17 games.
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,819

Post#9 » by Prince187 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:08 pm

Get rid of guaranteed contracts. Make salaries directly related to the amount of games your team wins. Imagine how much intensity and passion players would have each game if they knew their weekly paycheck was at stake

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2338717&p=109793680#p109793680
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,317

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:12 pm

Maybe the problem is you have become more jaded than when you were a kid.

Your team wins a game when you're young and you're excited for what seems like eternity. For days your team is on top of the world. The playoffs arent on your mind. Theyre a lifetime away. Win the same type of game these days, and especially if you are tuned into the ridiculous Twitter crowd, it becomes "WHY DID THE COACH PLAY X PLAYER 40 MINUTES JUST TO WIN A MEANINGLESS REGULAR SEASON GAME".
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 499

Post#11 » by SeanieWard » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 pm

Less games for one. Another thing I'm seeing is the refs are letting the players play much more physical on defense in the playoffs without question. If they called the games this way during the regular season we might be a more physical, defensive game during the regular season
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,616

Post#12 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 pm

bledredwine wrote:

Go back to having 95% of the games only shown on regional TV so fans get a massively skewed view of what a regular season game looks like because players used to get up for the national tv games more so because it was the only time people saw them. Now every game is available to anyone with internet and google. So they don't get up for the massively biased selection of games we as fans got to see.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,848

Post#13 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:15 pm

Gotta let the dawgs out. I mean those dudes who go hard and play physical just to survive. Give them a place in the league again and the intensity gon rise.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,007

Post#14 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Play in tournament
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,369

Post#15 » by levon » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm

Cancel the regular season

Okay, good-faith response: create series' in the regular season. Have teams play each other 3 times in a row so that adjustments can be made, mimicking small playoff series'. You can't fake the urgency but you can at least create more nuanced and less broadstrokes basketball.

Right now most teams are just on auto-pilot all year and hardly even practice.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,309

Post#16 » by mademan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 pm

This year was the most competitive ive ever seen teams play in the regular season. Your memories are biased
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,252

Post#17 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:32 pm

20 total regular season games lol
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,139

Post#18 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 pm

Some people hate it, but the answer has pretty clearly been the Play-In. The end of the season has gotten much more exciting with teams jostling for sixth place, eighth place, and tenth place.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,376

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:44 pm

bledredwine wrote:When I was young, I remember how competitive and exciting regular season games were, particularly between contending teams.
I've got to admit that so far, the playoffs have been really enjoyable and exciting.

[b]How can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

You can't. And the regular season has never been as exciting as the playoffs on a consistent basis. In any season. Ever. That is just nostalgia talking, straight up.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,624

Post#20 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:44 pm

bledredwine wrote:When I was young, I remember how competitive and exciting regular season games were, particularly between contending teams.

I literally can't bare to watch regular season games now, and I know that many fans share this sentiment.
It seems that the in-season tournament was created for this reason and it didn't really pan out.

So biases and cliche "yells at cloud" answers aside, what would you answer if proposed the following question by Silver.......

..... Imagine the excitement if we had games more similar to these DEN/LA games in the regular season. They're far more competitive.

Only way to get the same excitement in the RS is by limiting the number of teams that make the PS. The NBA basically allows every team with a decent record into the PS so teams go on autopilot.

Contrast that with something like college football in which very few teams make the post-season. So everyone goes all out in the RS.

Return to The General Board