How can we replicate this in the regular season?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,264

Re: How can we replicate this in the regular season? 

Post#21 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:56 pm

Shorten it.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,264

Post#22 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
bledredwine wrote:When I was young, I remember how competitive and exciting regular season games were, particularly between contending teams.
I've got to admit that so far, the playoffs have been really enjoyable and exciting.

I literally can't bare to watch regular season games now, and I know that many fans share this sentiment.
It seems that the in-season tournament was created for this reason and it didn't really pan out.

So biases and cliche "yells at cloud" answers aside, what would you answer if proposed the following question by Silver.......

How can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

..... Imagine the excitement if we had games more similar to these DEN/LA games in the regular season. They're far more competitive.

Only way to get the same excitement in the RS is by limiting the number of teams that make the PS. The NBA basically allows every team with a decent record into the PS so teams go on autopilot.

Contrast that with something like college football in which very few teams make the post-season. So everyone goes all out in the RS.

Problem with this theory is it's unsupported by the data; as games have gotten more competitive, not less since the Play-in was introduced. The top teams care about getting into the top 6 instead of just the top 8 so they have to try harder, and the mid teams have a reason to keep playing after the ASB.

Without the play-in we don't get that great game against the Bulls on the last of the season that was so much fun.

The only problem with the NBA regular season is that it's way too long and as a result, condensed. Because of that players have to pace themselves more for the grind and are more likely to be injured for the playoffs.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,007

Post#23 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 pm

expand the NBA In Season Tournament.
GamecockFan1024
Junior
And1: 371

Post#24 » by GamecockFan1024 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 pm

Regular season will never be important when over 50% of the league makes the playoffs. 20 out of 30 teams have the opportunity to make the playoffs. The regular season just isn't that interesting. NCAA basketball struggles with the same issue though, so it's not purely an NBA thing.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,870

Post#25 » by HotelVitale » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 pm

bledredwine wrote:When I was young, I remember how competitive and exciting regular season games were, particularly between contending teams.
I've got to admit that so far, the playoffs have been really enjoyable and exciting.

I literally can't bare to watch regular season games now, and I know that many fans share this sentiment.
It seems that the in-season tournament was created for this reason and it didn't really pan out.

So biases and cliche "yells at cloud" answers aside, what would you answer if proposed the following question by Silver.......

..... Imagine the excitement if we had games more similar to these DEN/LA games in the regular season. They're far more competitive.

Not saying this is happening 100% for you, but the easiest thing is to stop letting any and all outside narratives get in the way of you just watching a game. Teams definitely play hard and are definitely trying to win regular season games, I watch a lot of basketball both in the arena and on TV and this is indisputably and fully true. I honestly don't recognize what people are talking about when they complain about RS , I'm just looking for some good competition as a hobby/distraction and I pretty rarely feel like I'm being cheated of that in a RS game (though it sometimes happens).

I think a LOT of people have let stories about what's trending badly with the game, how much better it was, where it all went wrong, etc get in the way of the basic fact that RS games are still elite professionals battling to win. Honest advice to just forget about that discourse and watch the games--and also to go to a few games in person if you don't do that much. You can see much better how physical the games are and how nothing is just given to anyone.

In the PO that reaches a different level, and I think that just is what it is. It's one thing to be motivated to win as a pro and for win totals and positioning, and another for a competitor to know this is where everything--their whole season, their legacy, their paycheck--is riding on. Having players hyper/over-motivated shouldn't really happen outside of the games that really matter ofr that stuff. You'd probably be talking about greatly reducing the # of games so that each one in some direct way determines season outcome for that to happen.
trevorthyme
Ballboy
And1: 34

Post#26 » by trevorthyme » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm

do regular season games need to matter ? I don't watch all 1230 games now and even if we cut the 82 in half I won't be watching all 615 games. the benefit of having so many games and a long season is that you can live your life and if you happen to want to watch basketball you can.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#27 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
bledredwine wrote:

Go back to having 95% of the games only shown on regional TV so fans get a massively skewed view of what a regular season game looks like because players used to get up for the national tv games more so because it was the only time people saw them. Now every game is available to anyone with internet and google. So they don't get up for the massively biased selection of games we as fans got to see.

That's a damned good point and maybe the best yet. That hadn't even crossed my mind. TV coverage was prime time and before the streaming boom, we all had it.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#28 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:12 pm

tsherkin wrote:

[b]How can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

You can't. And the regular season has never been as exciting as the playoffs on a consistent basis. In any season. Ever. That is just nostalgia talking, straight up.

False and apparently 80%+ of this thread disagrees with you. Try thinking about it.

If you really think that a variety of factors don't influence the way the game is played, then you haven't really thought about it at all- that, or you're just posting with your desire in mind.

Examples -

TV Coverage -
As dhsilv2 pointed out, they had games on tv, which were watched by everyone.
How would that not impact the competitiveness, seeing as how televised games now are even hyped up?
Everyone knows how important that is in all sports.

Another example;
Contratcs -
how would contracts not impact motivation? You see evidence of this in all sports. Denying that is biased.
Heck, players have openly spoken of this, past and present.

Another example;
Defensive rules -
The defensive rules changed, yet it doesn't impact competition? Really? Aggression is proven to raise testosterone,
male competition, and yet this doesn't impact it? Come on now. Every one of the top four superstars from Europe has discussed how easy it is to score here than overseas. But the funny thing is, I didn't create this thread to discuss defense. We all know this by now and it's been argued to death. Heck, it'd be the best way to fix it, hence why so many are still posting about it.

This thread is specifically for ideas, not dismissing my OP without a good reason.

Now, I respect posts like "There are still plenty of competitive games" from an earlier poster who disagree because he actually stated why rather than trying to deny the original post. That's the way to have a discussion- creative and fun instead of shallow.
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
GusFring
Starter
And1: 2,671

Post#29 » by GusFring » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:Give defense a chance.

This is the answer, half of the game is missing during the RS and it makes it agonizing to follow.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#30 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 pm

Prince187 wrote:Get rid of guaranteed contracts. Make salaries directly related to the amount of games your team wins. Imagine how much intensity and passion players would have each game if they knew their weekly paycheck was at stake

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2338717&p=109793680#p109793680

Let's take that further and in our dream league we could pay players for minutes played in wins, and the more wins the higher it goes.

Alas, there's just too much money to be thrown around, and I'm afraid the only answer for anyone who who would like to see the league go backwards in time would be to just stop watching, stop buying shoes ... just walk away.

When a new basketball league forms from the ashes of the NBA and her players and owners have to fight tooth and nail for your attention, their livelihood, and your $$$; that's when it will turn back in to what it was.
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#31 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:24 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

Not saying this is happening 100% for you, but the easiest thing is to stop letting any and all outside narratives get in the way of you just watching a game. Teams definitely play hard and are definitely trying to win regular season games, I watch a lot of basketball both in the arena and on TV and this is indisputably and fully true. I honestly don't recognize what people are talking about when they complain about RS , I'm just looking for some good competition as a hobby/distraction and I pretty rarely feel like I'm being cheated of that in a RS game (though it sometimes happens).

I think a LOT of people have let stories about what's trending badly with the game, how much better it was, where it all went wrong, etc get in the way of the basic fact that RS games are still elite professionals battling to win. Honest advice to just forget about that discourse and watch the games--and also to go to a few games in person if you don't do that much. You can see much better how physical the games are and how nothing is just given to anyone.

In the PO that reaches a different level, and I think that just is what it is. It's one thing to be motivated to win as a pro and for win totals and positioning, and another for a competitor to know this is where everything--their whole season, their legacy, their paycheck--is riding on. Having players hyper/over-motivated shouldn't really happen outside of the games that really matter ofr that stuff. You'd probably be talking about greatly reducing the # of games so that each one in some direct way determines season outcome for that to happen.

I 100% hear what you're saying but that's not it at all.

I've excitedly turned a game on only to be disappointed multiple times. I mostly watch highlights instead and boxing now.

The difference in competitiveness is tremendous. In boxing, you have to defend or you get punched in the face.
They're all 100% engaged. Now, you'll see some players not even caring about defense and many just
trying to avoid contact.

There's a difference in competitiveness for sure. Now, I'm not trying to make this post to simply address defense - we all understand the issue with this and how rule changed have impacted the boom.

I'm hoping for alternate ideas, since the defense seems not to change.

As much as posters would like to deny it, the all star game is a direct reflection of how competitive the league is at any given time in history. There should be legit team rivalries and players should want to take it to each other. That's sport.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,586

Post#32 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:27 pm

This is just pure nostalgia, there has always been plenty of coasting in the regular season.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,942

Post#33 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 pm

Basically make it more like the NCAA. Shorten the season. Expand the league to 64 teams - 4 regions. Every team makes the playoffs, which are either 1 & done, or best 2 out of 3 series. The level of urgency would increase significantly.
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,954

Post#34 » by playoffs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:38 pm

I used to feel the same way but since they added the play-in tournament I enjoy the regular season a lot more. It used to be that by January, half the teams in the league were either tanking or coasting. The playing made it so teams have a lot more to play for, whether it's to get into the play-in, to get at least 6th seed and avoid the play-in, or to get 7-8 which gives you a much better chance of actually making the playoffs compared to 9-10. This made a much larger percentage of the games played meaningful. Sure, no one wants to watch a Pistons-Hornets game, but if a team like Houston had something to play for until almost the end, which had them win 11 straight (iirc), that's a huge improvement.

The only other thing that could make the regular season games more meaningful is having fewer games, but that means less money so will never happen. Maybe making point differential matter might help. But overall I really have no more complaints about the regular season.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,606

Post#35 » by dc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 pm

GamecockFan1024 wrote:Regular season will never be important when over 50% of the league makes the playoffs. 20 out of 30 teams have the opportunity to make the playoffs. The regular season just isn't that interesting. NCAA basketball struggles with the same issue though, so it's not purely an NBA thing.

Pat Riley once said the regular season has 2 purposes: paying the bills and positioning for the playoffs. It's basically spot on.

I mean if people think 82 game regular seasons are pointless, I wonder what they think of baseball......
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,621

Post#36 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:56 pm

bledredwine wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
bledredwine wrote:

Go back to having 95% of the games only shown on regional TV so fans get a massively skewed view of what a regular season game looks like because players used to get up for the national tv games more so because it was the only time people saw them. Now every game is available to anyone with internet and google. So they don't get up for the massively biased selection of games we as fans got to see.

That's a damned good point and maybe the best yet. That hadn't even crossed my mind. TV coverage was prime time and before the streaming boom, we all had it.

Just to add to this, but I remember one year the Kings were looking pretty good and I wanted to watch Mitch Richmond to see how good he really was. They had ONE national game! 25 points per game guy who was making allstar games and had been all nba. We got to see him once unless you had regional coverage which I did not. Now how good would I think Mitch was if I based his career on that ONE game a year where you KNOW he played his best?

BTW I'd add, I've seen some NON national games that made it to youtube...I think most of those games were just as trash as trash can be. But most of us didn't see those. So I still think 90% of regular season games were terrible back then. We just didn't see those games, unless it was our local team (and a LOT of us weren't in a market with a regional team).
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 470

Post#37 » by swyftdahoe » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 pm

Perhaps the playoff format just works cuz familiarity breeds contempt.

Maybe something like this could work. Kinda stealing from baseball's playbook.

Teams can play 5 game series against same-division opponents (that's 20 games). And 3 game series against other-division conference opponents (that's 30 games). Then play each non-conference opponent once home and away, scattering those games somehow (that's another 30 games). Plus, account for the in-season tourney somehow which can add some additional games for certain teams.

Currently, teams play 16 games total against same-division opponents. 36 games against other-division conference opponents. And 30 games against non-conference opponents.

Having typed all this, I don't think it'll work. But anyways.
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,524

Post#38 » by SomeBunghole » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 pm

The facts have not changed significantly in decades. We've had roughly the same amount of teams and the same amount of playoff teams for the past 30 years. The regular season, objectively, is as important as was back in the 1990s.

What's changed is the perception. It's like so many other things in life. The system existed because of everyone's collective belief in the system. Once people stopped believing, it collapsed. It's like how Wile E. Coyote could walk on air, but only until he realized he was walking on air.

There was never an actual, objective reason for teams to go all out in regular season games, but it used to happen because everyone thought it should happen. Once teams realized, like Wile E., that there was no benefit to doing it, it stopped.

This isn't necessarily a brand new thing. The Shaq Lakers showed a surprising(for the time) lack of regard for playoff seeding. They won 67 games during their first title run and they had the first seed. The extra 8 games over the Blazers made absolutely no difference. They could've won 60 and everything would still be the same. Next year, they didn't bother as much.

Not only that, but they believed they were comfortably the best team in the league and the seedings and home court and all that didn't really matter. They finished behind the Spurs next year and only just above a couple of other teams. They did something like that the next year, too. This was the time when Shaq would miss 10-15 games a year because of his toe and used to get flak for it. Why run yourself into the ground when it doesn't matter?

Karl Malone missed 10 total games over the first 18 years of his career. More than half of those were suspensions. What for? What did it matter? Do they give trophies out for that?

It was almost 15 years ago that Pop started casually resting Tim Duncan in pointless games. If you're old enough, you'll remember the uproar. The league still likes to claim that the benefits of resting players are marginal at best. Even if you accept that as true, what's the benefit of playing a player? There is none.

The league simply realized they were walking in the air, that's all. There is absolutely no benefit for going all out in a regular season game on a January Wednesday night.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,202

Post#39 » by dolphinatik » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 pm

Op im right there with you, Sunday games on regular TV were brawls. This first round has been amazing but to OP question its not fixable. With load management and the massive contracts you are not going to see full effort until the playoffs.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,796

Post#40 » by MarcusBrody » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:35 pm

bledredwine wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Beyond surface-level answers, how can we replicate more of a playoff atmosphere during the regular season?

We can't. The playoffs are 7-game series that determine which team's season ends. The regular season are 82 games that only determine whether you make the playoffs or not and which team you're playing against.

They aren't supposed to be the same. One is a marathon, the other is a duel.

Part of me wants to agree, but part of me remembers the Bulls/Knicks games in the 90s,
which were just as intense as the playoff games. Maybe the added aggression to the game naturally created more competitiveness though.

Then again, Miller, Ewing, and Jordan were some of the fiercest competitors and maybe it was for that reason.

And there is also likely a good deal of recollection bias going on. The 90s was 25+ years ago. Even as fans, we now only remember the games that truly stuck out, and those were the competitive ones. There were a bunch of good regular season games this year. In 2050, we'll remember a couple of those, forget more of them, and totally forget the dross. I became a fan in the 1990s, but I'm not sure that games were consistently better (at least to the extent of matching current playoff intensity).

Return to The General Board