Are players actually better ball handlers today? Or are they getting away with a carry?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,714

Are players actually better ball handlers today? Or are they getting away with a carry? 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Iverson modernized the crossover arguably. It was a carry half of the time he did it. This play I’ll post from Kyrie is very common for him too, and he’s considered by many to be the best “balls handler” of all time. It’s an incredibly egregious non call IMO. It made me wonder if guys are actually better with handles today, or is it more that refs have stopped actually calling palming or carrying?

If it’s a rule enforcement thing is it formally no longer a thing? Or they just don’t care anymore? You watch guys like Jerry West handle and it looks kinda boring, but it was playing within the rules that were enforced.

Read on Twitter
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,103

Re: Are players actually better ball handlers today? Or are they getting away with a carry? 

Post#2 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:36 pm

I'd say worse overall, the lax rules enforcement certainly makes it easier. Defenses aren't pressuring the ball nearly as much also.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,729

Re: Are players actually better ball handlers today? Or are they getting away with a carry? 

Post#3 » by Yoshun » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 pm

At the top, I don't think ball handling is better. The top ball handlers from the 80s/90s can definitely match today's. I also don't think players today get away with more.

I do think there are more players who can handle the ball effectively though. Most teams today have multiple guys who are effective ball handlers.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,095

Post#4 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

I think a little of column A, a little of column B. Best players will always try to push the rules.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#5 » by Alatan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:48 pm

Ballhandling rules have been significantly relaxed but i think its for the better. Robotic dribbling of the past is ugly, boring and limits driving possibilities.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#7 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:58 pm

Prince187 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2371082

I missed that being off the forum for 8 months or whatever until yesterday. Thanks for sharing, I’ll read through it.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,409

Post#8 » by DOT » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:58 pm

Yes.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,963

Post#9 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 pm

Every dribble is a carry compared to the original rule.

Section II—Dribble

A player shall not run with the ball without dribbling it.
A player in control of a dribble who steps on or outside a boundary line, even though not touching the ball while on or outside that boundary line, shall not be allowed to return inbounds and continue his dribble. He may not even be the first player to touch the ball after he has re-established a position inbounds.
A player may not dribble a second time after he has voluntarily ended his first dribble.
A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and (1) carry it from one point to another or (2) bring it to a pause and then continue to dribble again.
A player may dribble a second time if he lost control of the ball because of:
A field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring
An opponent touching the ball
A pass or fumble which touches his backboard, basket ring or is touched by another player.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. Ball is awarded to the opposing team on the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

Under is basically the south pole at this point, as opposed to under the equator. Pause? I think the ignore this more than they would admit.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,607

Post#10 » by Harry Garris » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

Why not both?
GusFring
Starter
And1: 2,671

Post#12 » by GusFring » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:12 pm

And1 era was obsessed with ball handling flash, other than kyrie I'm not sure ball handling is more elite now than in the past.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#13 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:31 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

Great example, thanks.

G35
RealGM
And1: 7,791

Post#14 » by G35 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

Yes, I remember you did any kind of hesitation move with the ball it was a violation. You were taught that your hand could not be on the side of the ball...of course you tried to get away with as much as you could, but nowadays, it is a different type of dribbling and it gives a huge advantage to the offensive player by making the defender think you are going to pull up or pass the ball.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,202

Post#15 » by dolphinatik » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:09 pm

So... the example is one of the best ball handlers in history in super slow motion? Yes players have better handles now, more drills and more dedication to training. Overall athleticism is up and more balanced than previous generations where u had athletic players but few and far between. Those players would still be good in todays game AI, Tim Hardaway etc.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,419

Post#16 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 pm

It's both. The average player, especially big men, are better ball handlers than they have been in the past.

The NBA has also unofficially decided not to call most carries unless they're extremely egregious. It's clearly a business decision to embrace the flash rather than restrain it.

It's obviously a carry, but the instances like the Kyrie example above aren't actually the ones that send me up a wall. I get irritated at how often the refs don't bother to call carries in the backcourt. Refs have seemingly given up on enforcing the rule in low-stakes instances like that. Guys will just catch the inbounds without a defender in sight and take a short stroll before dribbling without any consequences. I love him, but Kemba was one of the worst offenders in those situations.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Post#17 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 pm

Both
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,474

Post#18 » by reload141 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm

Have you seen Jaylen Brown dribbling the ball with his left hand?

Oof.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,350

Post#19 » by rapstarter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm

Both. The plumbers had zero leeway.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,965

Post#20 » by meekrab » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 pm

Obviously, but if you didn't let seven foot tall dudes carry the ball they'd get it stolen the minute they tried to drive from the simple physics of how long a dribble has to last.

Return to The General Board