Bow Down to Spo. "Again??" Yes, Again

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Re: Bow Down to Spo. "Again??" Yes, Again 

Post#101 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 pm

marson wrote:Hypothetically speaking, If we switch our coaches, then the Celtics would've had 2–3 titles by now.

Tatum and Brown's potential would be unlocked so hard by Spo. I'm quite jealous they have this all talent, but they can't do **** about it. ALL HAIL SPOELSTRA

Jimmy Butler and Adebayo as a duo are as talented as Tatum and Brown. Let's stop this nonsense about Spo being a miracle worker. They've had outstanding talent and a deep bench the whole time he's been there. Let's also not forget his coaching is so good Jimmy Butler took that ill-advised three which shouldn't happen with a well-coached team. Or the fact that despite all this talent and a weaker Eastern Conference he hasn't won a championship since Lebron left. Or that with that Lebron super team they only won two championships and one of those is due to a fluke shot by Allen. How different would the narrative around Spo be if that shot doesn't go down? He's clearly one of the few good coaches in the NBA but like all the supposed great coaches, he's overrated. Players win games. You either have them or you don't.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,100

Post#102 » by Effigy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pm

tmorgan wrote:Contrast that with oh, I don’t know, Monty Williams. Jamming square pegs into round holes all over the place and blaming it on inexperience. That dude sucks.

Cheer up, only 5 more years left on his contract!
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,867

Post#103 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Spo and Udoka are some of the best coaches. As a rockets fan I'm thankful for that front office execs wife who had an affair with Ime lol

She took several for your team
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,867

Post#104 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

dockingsched wrote:
picc wrote:
One of the best teams in history on their homecourt.

Are people really saying this? Am I totally out of touch cause I’ve never heard this.

I was. Their RS was off the charts dominant. Better than any showtime, Spurs, Shaq/Kobe era lakers. And their G1 looked in line with that RS.

Obviously the PS will decide how they get regarded.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#105 » by Anderson Hunt » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:00 pm

I'm great at evaluating players, but evaluating coaches has always seemed far more subjective. Spoelstra seems to do more with less, and that's obviously apparent and worthy of praise, but critiquing every action and inaction of a coach is beyond me.

Evaluating coaches is like evaluating running backs. Similar to a RB rushing for 150 yards, last night, the Heat beat the Celtics, so Spoelstra (and the RB) must have been great, right?

Or maybe no one noticed the offensive line was miraculous, so the RB had no choice to not succeed, or the Heat players got super hot from deep while the Celtics went cold, and Spoelstra's coaching was secondary or tertiary in the victory.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,188

Post#106 » by Flash4thewin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:05 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
Hoop Hunter wrote:Great coach. I remember when LeBron was there, every day someone was calling Spo the worst and he should be fired.

Thank god the Heat had Riley because a lot of GMs would have probably listened to Lebron and fired Spo after the Heat lost in 2011.

It's here that I feel bad for a guy like David Blatt, who was one of the most decorated coaches in the world for decades, won multiple Euro league titles, led Russia to a bronze medal in the Olympics, and he gets fired despite the Cavaliers taking the Warriors to 6 without Love and Kyrie.

Not really. Spo at that time was not the right coach for that team. With Pat we win year one. Spo is good today a good decade later full or experience. Today Spo is very good but a decade ago not so much.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,932

Post#107 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm

Eagle4 wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Im surprised it only looks like a single thread about the heat win last night.

Celtics played like dumbasses
Joe ran drop coverage all game
Heat got hot and made 58% of their threes
Kp and Jrue forgot to show up
Joe played them alot anyways

Heat won.

Congrats, you stole a game because the celtics gave it to you.
such a pompous bunch. What happened to sweep by 20+ points? :lol: :lol:

Didnt expect the heat players to literally set team records with their shooting. Caught a heater, and rode it to the win thanks to Jrue, KP and Joe napping through the game.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,899

Post#108 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:27 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:The gap between Spo and the 2nd best coach in the league right now is massive

Thibs is pretty elite.

The way Denver executes down the stretch is something to consider.

I struggle to allocate their success between Jokic greatness/raw talent level and coaching excellence.

But yeah Denver is impressive.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,473

Post#109 » by phanman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Old Dirk + other old guys beat Spo + Lebron + Bosh + Wade, damn they were good.

You also think the 2014 Spurs are an average champion. That pretty much epitomizes your takes.

So I see you stalk my posts but are too afraid sometimes to comment? You could have brought up your rebuttal in that thread but you wait, it's because you know you aren't good at disproving someone with facts on the spot you have to wait a day or two later and just put in a petty insult. You are really one of the worst posters here. Just go around being negative about what other people post all the time but when it comes to what you post it's garbage.

They were an average champion, no one higher than 16 ppg. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been done since before the merger.

You are correct nobody average >16ppg in the regular season but if you dig in closer:
- Nobody played >30mpg or shot more than 14 FGA
- They won 62 games en route to the #1 seed in one of the most competitive years as the 48 win Suns missed the playoffs and the 10th seeded Minnesota team would have been 8th in the East with 40 wins.
- The finished with 7th in ORTG and 3rd in DRTG
- They completely destroyed Miami in the Finals and preventing their 3peat and cementing a potential dynasty in Miami

It's a shame Spo will most likely finish his career not winning COTY, but that comes with the territory of setting such a low basement for every team he coaches. He's never won less that 37 games and that only came in the year post LeBron with Bosh missing half the year. He will never that sexy year of year game improvement, because he just knows how to get the most of out of his players.

The fact that the line came in at -14.5 and they were able to hold off the Celtics on the road to a 10pt win is credit to his excellence. The media was just trying to give Herro away in all of the Dame scenarios, but Spo was able to maximize his strengths and he was looking like superstar last night with such a great synergy with Bam all night.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,975

Post#110 » by Eagle4 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
Eagle4 wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Im surprised it only looks like a single thread about the heat win last night.

Celtics played like dumbasses
Joe ran drop coverage all game
Heat got hot and made 58% of their threes
Kp and Jrue forgot to show up
Joe played them alot anyways

Heat won.

Congrats, you stole a game because the celtics gave it to you.
such a pompous bunch. What happened to sweep by 20+ points? :lol: :lol:

Didnt expect the heat players to literally set team records with their shooting. Caught a heater, and rode it to the win thanks to Jrue, KP and Joe napping through the game.

You didn't expect Celtics to ever lose, whether this year, last year, a shot away in 2022, 2020, 2011, 2012. What's new? :lol:
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,385

Re: Bow Down to Spo. 

Post#111 » by Heat3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Spo might be the greatest coach of all time.

Who's supposed to win?

32 year old Dirk
old Kidd
old Marion

or

Prime Lebron
Prime Bosh
Prime Wade

It's either those Lebron is an overrated choker or Spo is actually not the greatest coach of all time.

That Mavs team had like double the Heat’s salary and luxury tax. They weren’t bums.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,036

Post#112 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:33 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
He led you guys to that impressive .500 record and couldn't even make the play-in. Impressive stuff from Ime. Seriously, is anyone more overrated than Ime at this point? He inherited one of the best young bigs in the game (Sengun), recent top 3 picks in Smith and Green, Eason, draft picks Thompson and Whitmore and they went out and spent money and resources to add Brooks and VanVleet and a .500 record is all Ime was able to accomplish despite all the injuries and tanking that happened in the West?

And he only got to .500 because of their easy schedule in March:

Clippers sat all their starters last game of the season
Bulls
Wizards x 2
Jazz x 2
Spurs x 2
Trailblazers X 3

He's a fraud. Let's revisit this conversation next offseason. You'll come around.

He made the NBA finals in his only season coaching Boston.

Sengun was injured in March

How many games did you expect the rockets to win this season?

He inherited easily the most talented team in the Eastern Conference. And Brad traded for Horford and Richardson. Then traded for White at the deadline making them much better than the previous season.

They beat the Nets without Harden and Harris. They beat the Bucks without Middleton and it took 7 games to do so. They beat a Heat team decimated by injuries with a gimped Lowry missing two games, a gimped Herro missing three games and Butler hampered as well and it took 7 games. A rookie coach in Mazzulla, taking over a week before the season having lost pivotal assistants, won just three less games than Udoka. If Tatum doesn't roll his ankle in Game 7 versus the Heat they're likely in the Finals.

Rockets fans if asked before the season if they thought going .500 and ending as the 11th seed and out of the play-in was acceptable given how much talent is on the team and Ime's supposed great coaching would be okay with that? I expected exactly how many games they won because I know Ime is a fraud. Literally anyone could have coached that much talent to that record. If not for 11 wins in March against tanking teams it'd look so much worse.

I have no dog in the fight but when he acted the fool I did some research into why he was so highly respected and I just didn't get it. Not only is a despicable husband and person he isn't even a good coach. I think you'll come to agree with me when we're sitting here next year and the Rockets have failed to make the playoffs. Who will they be better than that finished above them? And two teams, the Spurs and Grizzlies, that finished below them will be much improved. It could get ugly and when it does he seems the type to point fingers and not take accountability. I'm not sure he'll see a Year 3 with the team. And if he does, it'll be his last.

That's funny because the question was asked before the year, here

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/poll-how-many-games-does-this-team-win-next-season.320351/

look at poll results, only 1 in 5 rockets fans thought that they would win 41 games or more before the season. Ime exceeded expectations.
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,738

Post#113 » by ryan in Maine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm

picc wrote:Image

One of the best teams in history on their homecourt against your team without 2/3 leading scorers?

Light work.

"But picc, its not Spo, the Heat just hit all their threes"

I got news for you. No matter what team it was, if Spo was coaching they'd ALL hit all their threes. I don't know what voodoo he does to turn people into flamethrowers and make rag tag bunches of nobody's into the 2004 Pistons on defense, but whatever it is I have full confidence in it being him and not them.

I wish Spo was our coach. I think we'd look pretty good and he'd be Coach of the Year.

Gotta root for Mazz though. This is on the job training.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,747

Post#114 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
marson wrote:Hypothetically speaking, If we switch our coaches, then the Celtics would've had 2–3 titles by now.

Tatum and Brown's potential would be unlocked so hard by Spo. I'm quite jealous they have this all talent, but they can't do **** about it. ALL HAIL SPOELSTRA

Jimmy Butler and Adebayo as a duo are as talented as Tatum and Brown. Let's stop this nonsense about Spo being a miracle worker. They've had outstanding talent and a deep bench the whole time he's been there. Let's also not forget his coaching is so good Jimmy Butler took that ill-advised three which shouldn't happen with a well-coached team. Or the fact that despite all this talent and a weaker Eastern Conference he hasn't won a championship since Lebron left. Or that with that Lebron super team they only won two championships and one of those is due to a fluke shot by Allen. How different would the narrative around Spo be if that shot doesn't go down? He's clearly one of the few good coaches in the NBA but like all the supposed great coaches, he's overrated. Players win games. You either have them or you don't.

How do people still spout this nonsense?

We know that good players make a team better

We know that a good front office makes a team better

Coaching? Nope. Overrated.

You're a King fans. You have seen enough terrible coaches to know how much of an effect a good one can have. How can people still not acknowledge that like every job, some people are much better than others. Same applies to coaching.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,145

Post#115 » by Lalouie » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:04 pm

without spo, and by association riley, did was give lebrob his two rings, lebrob was complaining about spo and pat had to step in and give lebron the middle finger
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,113

Post#116 » by Iwasawitness » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
The following are the oldest teams to have won an NBA championship:
Championship Team Weighted Age (WAGE)
1. 1997-98 Chicago Bulls 32.096
2. 2010-11 Dallas Mavericks 31.607
3. 1968-69 Boston Celtics 30.914
4. 1996-97 Chicago Bulls 30.790

I'd say collectively they were pretty dang old if they were the second oldest team to win a championship.

Yeah but you are using "old" to say bad in order to be dismissive of how good Spo is. The Mavs might have been old, but they were also really good (hence the whole championship thing).

It's fair to sports hate the Heat. I do too, but we should also give greatness credit. Makes us look petty to not.

I never said they weren't good. But no one can deny Miami had more star power and they were younger, that's all I meant. They had 3 of the best 4 players in those Finals.

Marion for example was getting max contracts when he was younger, he signed with Dallas for the MLE. Kidd was 38.

More star power and being younger doesn’t always make you the better team…
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,113

Post#117 » by Iwasawitness » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm

Lalouie wrote:without spo, and by association riley, did was give lebrob his two rings, lebrob was complaining about spo and pat had to step in and give lebron the middle finger

Your anti LeBron takes are getting more hilarious by the day.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#118 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
Lalouie wrote:without spo, and by association riley, did was give lebrob his two rings, lebrob was complaining about spo and pat had to step in and give lebron the middle finger

Your anti LeBron takes are getting more hilarious by the day.

The idiotic shyt is acting like Spo was a finished product in his first year.

Putting THIS much energy in it really feels like a reach just to throw shade. Either that or stupidity.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,170

Post#119 » by MrBigShot » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:The gap between Spo and the 2nd best coach in the league right now is massive

Thibs is pretty elite.

The way Denver executes down the stretch is something to consider.

Thibs, Mike Malone, Lue, Kerr...all great. Mike Daigneault, Udoka, Finch all also doing an incredible job.

But the way Spo manages to get so much more out of his team than the sum of the parts every single year is just so damn impressive. The last 4 years they got to the finals twice, and were a game away from making it 3 finals in one of those years. Butler/Bam and co are good but spo has overachieved.

Iwasawitness wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Yeah but you are using "old" to say bad in order to be dismissive of how good Spo is. The Mavs might have been old, but they were also really good (hence the whole championship thing).

It's fair to sports hate the Heat. I do too, but we should also give greatness credit. Makes us look petty to not.

I never said they weren't good. But no one can deny Miami had more star power and they were younger, that's all I meant. They had 3 of the best 4 players in those Finals.

Marion for example was getting max contracts when he was younger, he signed with Dallas for the MLE. Kidd was 38.

More star power and being younger doesn’t always make you the better team…

The heat were a better team if lebron played up to the level he had prior to the finals that year. LeBron in that finals had quite possibly the single most horrific playoff series i've EVER seen from an all time great. 17.8 points a game, including an 8 pt performance. He mega choked.

Not to take away from the mavs who deserves every single bit of credit for what is one of the most amazing playoff runs ever.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
DorianRo
Senior
And1: 619

Post#120 » by DorianRo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 pm

I dont know.. Celtics aren't a playoff team.. They're a regular season team.. They remind me of those 2000's Suns. They aren't going to win the title regardless even if they do get by Miami

Return to The General Board