Embiid 50 point playoff game!

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,588

Re: Embiid 50 point playoff game! 

Post#241 » by Alatan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 pm

liquidswords wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
Pacernation wrote:The most physical dominant player in the league gets more fts in one game than the entire knicks team. I didn't watch the game but this looks like the refs still give him those bulls*** calls when they let everybody else in the playoffs play physical as hell. Embiid is just like Harden to me - he will fail when the refs swallow their whistle and things get tough because he's not used to not getting dozens of free throws. Those dirty plays are just the icing on the cake..

Neutral Fan here.
A majority of those were legit fouls (by the book). Watch the game, you're missing out on an intense series.
Embiid definitely has an excellent sense of what gets called and what doesn't AND he's able to gamify it. But the refs have no choice to blow the whistle; otherwise you're tossing out the rulebook.

Yes, that play on Mitchell Robinson was extremely dangerous and dirty. And he probably should have been ejected

The popular, casual take is to now just question any of Joel's FTs. He's this generation's Shaq - he's impossible to guard and physically dominant. You could realistically call a foul every time he goes to work on the offensive end.

bull. Embiid is the softest of jumpshooters. Big for nothing as they say. Once a talented player now resorts to flailing and begging for fouls... This eras Shaq... Give me a break.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#242 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:46 pm

rapstarter wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:The wahmbulance out in full force, I wonder what ya'll would think of Bill Laimbeer

Embeast

But if a Knick player intentionally took out Embiid’s knee…

:lol:

Yeah no kidding. I hope they just do it, because Embiid would deserve it.

Embiid took a hit from OG/thought he got fouled, saw that Robinson was about to have an easy putback as a result and did what he did to make him earn it. It wasn't a clean play and deserved the flagrant call, but it was nothing more than the desire to win + an "I'll dish it right back" mentality. He wasn't trying to intentionally injure anyone and if that were the case it would have been OG not Robinson.

Ya'll already have narratives in your mind that inform the facts rather than vice versa. Not to mention the irony of using the narrative to justify the very thing you accuse Embiid of by wishing injury onto another person. At this point it's kind of fun being on the villain bandwagon so by all means, carry on. Reason escaped this echo chamber a long time ago.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,378

Post#243 » by rapstarter » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
rapstarter wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:

Embiid took a hit from OG/thought he got fouled, saw that Robinson was about to have an easy putback as a result and did what he did to make him earn it. It wasn't a clean play and deserved the flagrant call, but it was nothing more than the desire to win + an "I'll dish it right back" mentality. He wasn't trying to intentionally injure anyone and if that were the case it would have been OG not Robinson.

Ya'll already have narratives in your mind that inform the facts rather than vice versa. Not to mention the irony of using the narrative to justify the very thing you accuse Embiid of by wishing injury onto another person. At this point it's kind of fun being on the villain bandwagon so by all means, carry on. Reason escaped this echo chamber a long time ago.

And one can argue your interpretation of the event is also entirely based on a narrative that existed in your mind. You think Embiid is the only player to have desire to win and want to dish it back after a no-call? At least I have a history of Embiid's dirty plays to point to, in addition to a quite shocking replay of this foul.

And where's the irony? I never claimed the eye-for-an-eye would be a moral thing to do. It would be dirty but that's just wanting justice and teaching a dirty/dangerous player a lesson because the league's not. But yeah, carry on indeed and keep believing Embiid's words that he was just trying to protect himself if that's the narrative you prefer. Reason's still here. It's just not with Embiid apologists similar to Draymond apologists.
web123888
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#244 » by web123888 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm

May have been dirty plays by him but whole thread is filled with bashing a dude who dropped 50 in a must win game down 0-2 against an elite defense, all while having facial nerve palsy.

Mad respect where it’s due. Whether or not he ever wins a title or even reaches a conference finals, he’s one of the greatest centers ever.

Probably looks more likely to end up with the Robinson/Ewing/Mourning rather than the Kareem/Russell/Wilt/Shaq/Jokic/Hakeem category, but an ATG and easy HOFer nonetheless.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,896

Post#245 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:08 pm

vobot wrote:Embiid is talented, but there is an aspect to his game I do not enjoy watching at all. Most plays he is involved in, has him falling to the ground constantly. Always falling and flopping. Crashing into peoples knees and legs playing reckless. He is really privileged when it comes to getting free points at the line.

Definitely falls down a ton, sometimes it's flopping though a lot of the falls are just falls. Sometimes it seems clear why (often protecting his knees/feet) but it also looks pretty dumb and harmful a lot too. And he also scores too much on FTs--he's doing the thing where he hunts FTs instead of good moves to the cup less but he still does it plenty, and it probably costs him more than it gets him. He also flops and grifts at the wrong times, part of a general pattern of poor decision making/judgement.

There's a lot more there though. He's the best big man at attacking one-on-one from the short perimeter that we've seen, very quick first step and has really good counters after his first move too, and it's wild how good his jumper also is given how good the driving game is. He's basically become Dirk from midrange over the last couple seasons.

web123888 wrote:May have been dirty plays by him but whole thread is filled with bashing a dude who dropped 50 in a must win game down 0-2 against an elite defense, all while having facial nerve palsy. Mad respect where it’s due. Whether or not he ever wins a title or even reaches a conference finals, he’s one of the greatest centers ever.

Probably looks more likely to end up with the Robinson/Ewing/Mourning rather than the Kareem/Russell/Wilt/Shaq/Jokic/Hakeem category, but an ATG and easy HOFer nonetheless.

Yeah he's a very faulty player, bad judgment in general (especially navigating help defense) and ends up relying on streaky jump shooting in part because of that. And he acts the fool a lot too in interviews etc. But he's also still really sick. I don't know why it's so hard for people to be good with both but it is, and has been this way for years.

I always wonder why people need to say that every time though. Honestly. How many years do people have to spend their wods about him re-articulating the same things--falls down, flops, doesn't go as strong as he should--before you can add it to your picture of him and then say something else.
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 382

Post#246 » by famicommander » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:17 pm

web123888 wrote:May have been dirty plays by him but whole thread is filled with bashing a dude who dropped 50 in a must win game down 0-2 against an elite defense, all while having facial nerve palsy.

Mad respect where it’s due. Whether or not he ever wins a title or even reaches a conference finals, he’s one of the greatest centers ever.

Embiid will never, ever be worthy of comparison to David Robinson. Robinson is one of the most underrated players of all time and to mention him with Ewing or Mourning is disrespectful as hell.

Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Jokic, Robinson, Moses, Dirk, and Duncan are all a tier far above Ewing or Embiid. I know people tend to think of Dirk and Timmy as forwards but they actually both spent more than half their career minutes at center.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,528

Post#247 » by Zenzibar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 pm

rapstarter wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
rapstarter wrote:

And one can argue your interpretation of the event is also entirely based on a narrative that existed in your mind. You think Embiid is the only player to have desire to win and want to dish it back after a no-call? At least I have a history of Embiid's dirty plays to point to, in addition to a quite shocking replay of this foul.

And where's the irony? I never claimed the eye-for-an-eye would be a moral thing to do. It would be dirty but that's just wanting justice and teaching a dirty/dangerous player a lesson because the league's not. But yeah, carry on indeed and keep believing Embiid's words that he was just trying to protect himself if that's the narrative you prefer. Reason's still here. It's just not with Embiid apologists similar to Draymond apologists.

You're not alone in your comparisons ay.

Read on Twitter
Stop All Genocides
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,707

Post#248 » by cgf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 am

famicommander wrote:
web123888 wrote:May have been dirty plays by him but whole thread is filled with bashing a dude who dropped 50 in a must win game down 0-2 against an elite defense, all while having facial nerve palsy.

Embiid will never, ever be worthy of comparison to David Robinson. Robinson is one of the most underrated players of all time and to mention him with Ewing or Mourning is disrespectful as hell.

Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Jokic, Robinson, Moses, Dirk, and Duncan are all a tier far above Ewing or Embiid. I know people tend to think of Dirk and Timmy as forwards but they actually both spent more than half their career minutes at center.

Just curious what your argument for putting Robinson and Ewing in separate tiers is.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,528

Post#249 » by Zenzibar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 am

Milenkovic wrote:50 points off 13 fgs, that's embarrassing for the league

And Draybiid did nothing else, unlike The Joker. 21 free throws?

I'd be good props, if it was without the straight up don't give a sht, nothing is going to happen to me, unsportsman like behavior.

This is what the league wants to PR? Or the Villaonova Knicks?

BTW, an OKC vs the Knicks Finals would be dope. Refreshing, jj
Stop All Genocides
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,522

Post#250 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 am

This whole game needs an asterisk lol

Honestly though me as a Coach i'd be telling my Knicks team we're going to be as physical as possible, run him through screens, chip box outs, everything because that was dirty and he just needs to be banged up all game long

Me as a player, would be looking for the first blockout that i can take out his knee...you play dirty i'm gonna be even worse right back to you!
Context
RealGM
And1: 13,648

Post#251 » by Context » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 am

Read on Twitter
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#252 » by Context » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#253 » by Context » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#254 » by Context » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:07 am

Read on Twitter
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#255 » by axeman23 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 am

LockoutSeason wrote:
alebaba wrote:James Harden of big man, never seen a big gets those kinda calls before. 21 fta vs 19 fta...

Most of his FTs came at the end of the game when the Knicks were intentionally fouling.

You mean "the end of the game", where he should've been tossed well before half-time? :lol: So the Knicks should've been intentionally fouling someone ELSE. OR if a game without him on the court for the 2nd half goes as expected, the Knicks run away with it and have no need to be fouling anyone... :dontknow:
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 382

Post#256 » by famicommander » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 am

cgf wrote:
famicommander wrote:

Just curious what your argument for putting Robinson and Ewing in separate tiers is.

Is this a joke?

Robinson:
2X NBA Champion
1X NBA MVP
10X All NBA (4X 1st team, 2X 2nd team, 4X 3rd team)
1X Defensive Player of the Year
8X All-Defense (4X 1st team, 4X 2nd team)
1X Scoring Champion
1X Rebounding Champion
1X Blocks Champion
26.2 career PER
.250 career WS/48
7.5 career BPM
81.9 career VORP

Ewing:
7X All NBA (1X 1st team, 6X 2nd team)
3X All-Defense (0X 1st team, 3X 2nd team)
21.0 career PER
.150 career WS/48
2.9 career BPM
50.1 career VORP

Robinson is a top 10 all time NBA player. Top 15 at worst.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,466

Post#257 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 am

Context wrote:
Read on Twitter

You step over a guy you're asking for it. DiVincenzo tackled Oubre when he tried.

Every damn player in the league would do something. You're reaching...
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#258 » by levon » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
rapstarter wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:

You're one of the posters I really enjoyed reading throughout the years. Really knowledgeable.

Lost respect for you today.
Context
RealGM

Post#259 » by Context » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Context wrote:
Read on Twitter

You step over a guy you're asking for it. DiVincenzo tackled Oubre when he tried.

Every damn player in the league would do something. You're reaching...

Reaching…Embiid is the dirtiest player in this league. He has 23 flagrant fouls in half the time that Draymond Green has. His scent is whining - injury to himself - injury to other players - etc…

I didn’t know it was this bad…
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,466

Post#260 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 am

Context wrote:
Read on Twitter

Danny must have been really pissed given that he came back and played for the Sixers this year. Dude must have hated him. Lol, you guys take this stuff far more personally than the actual players.

Return to The General Board