Redraft 2016 - who are the top 10?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who should have gone #1?

J.Murray
19%
J.Brown
21%
Siakam
17%
Sabonis
38%
Dejounte
No votes
Ingram
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 42

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,100

Re: Redraft 2016 - who are the top 10? 

Post#21 » by Effigy » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Effigy wrote:
UcanUwill wrote: Hope and reality are different things. I would call this draft really good.

Not if your team had the number one pick, you wouldn't, lol.

Well, it was working out for 76ers for a while there, but yes :lol: but even if you have hindsight and can pick Siakam or Sabonis or Jaylen, you trully can do much worse very very often even if you have a nimber one pick.

That’s not really what we are saying though. We are saying that even the very best player if you happen to pick him isn’t that great, and most drafts the best player is quite a bit better than anyone in here. At best you have a number two on a title team. No alphas in this draft.of course it always comes down to ‘can you find the gem?’ But in this draft there isn’t a gem, just good players. No superstars.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#22 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 am

Tor_Raps wrote:2 guys have proven to be great number 2 on championship teams. Now that doesn't mean they're automatically better but given how close the talent gap is, I'd give the edge to Siakam with Murray closing the gap.

A good amount of that also was reliant on who they were paired with.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,117

Post#23 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:03 am

Effigy wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Effigy wrote:Not if your team had the number one pick, you wouldn't, lol.

Well, it was working out for 76ers for a while there, but yes :lol: but even if you have hindsight and can pick Siakam or Sabonis or Jaylen, you trully can do much worse very very often even if you have a nimber one pick.

That’s not really what we are saying though. We are saying that even the very best player if you happen to pick him isn’t that great, and most drafts the best player is quite a bit better than anyone in here. At best you have a number two on a title team. No alphas in this draft.of course it always comes down to ‘can you find the gem?’ But in this draft there isn’t a gem, just good players. No superstars.

Yes, I understand. If every draft could send one guy in a contest, this one ain't winning those contests, but overall, I think draft overall is really good, in didn't produce a single Superstar, but it has plenty of good star players. Definitely would not call this draft weak. Overall, considering this years draft, I think anyone who will get number one pick, would like if their guy has Sabonis, Siakam, Brown peaks I imagine. And of course even 2024 draft will probably have at least one super duper HOFer, just no one knows who he is yet, thats how if goes with "crappy" draft classes, or just most draft classes in general.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#24 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:03 am

dk1115 wrote:I mean, Ben Simmons is still a 3-time all star and if I knew I'd get that from him, he's probably still number 3 or 4 to me.

If you think he didn’t get destroyed if he was on another team other than a doc led team , then he’s probably still a top 4 player for the draft , but if he was going to have issues all the same eventually with taking shots, you much rather not have him as he would be such a huge drag on your salary management .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,957

Post#25 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:2 guys have proven to be great number 2 on championship teams. Now that doesn't mean they're automatically better but given how close the talent gap is, I'd give the edge to Siakam with Murray closing the gap.

A good amount of that also was reliant on who they were paired with.

Why let that affect my personal bias of selecting a former Raptor and Canadian :)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,080

Post#26 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 am

A good point, I'm not sure why I had Siakam in a tier below the other 2

JB/Murray/Siakam all seem like fine answers to me for the #1
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#27 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am

Optms wrote:Jamal Murray goes first for me. Everyone else doesn't matter.

Proven as a second option. He's got the clutch gene and performs his best under high pressure games. Just build a competent team around him and you have a perennial sleeper contender.

This. To me it's definitely Jamal Murray #1.

Jamal
Sabonis/Jaylen
Siakam
Ingram
Dejounte
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,512

Post#28 » by shi-woo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:06 am

How in the world is Sabonis leading this poll?

This thread shows how ring bias can really hinder discussions sometimes. I can understand making the argument for Jamal and Pascal over Brown, but not because they won rings. You guys are essentially saying that because Jokic and Kawhi performed better than Tatum against weaker competition (Herro KD Klay hurt) that Brown somehow is a worse 2nd option?

Brown averaged 23/7/3 on great shooting over 24 games that year, and that's been around what he's averaged every year since the Kyrie debacle, which is 100+ games on the big stage. He's also known as a clutch player, and is asked to be the #1 more than any other player in this draft outside of BI. If you are going to make the argument that those 2 are better, make it based on their talent, not on what they did in the playoffs.

Browns only weakness at this point is his shaky handle in traffic, but we've never seen a team where this was mitigated. We don't focus on Jamals size and athletic ability because he's on a team that is huge with a dominant center. We don't focus on Pascals shooting from the perimeter because he's on teams that light it up from deep. It's disengenuous to Brown, who's had to mold his game around others, to not acknowledge this. Nothing about his production or shooting would change if you put him on any other team, it would only get better in some circumstances.

If you are a bottom feeder with no other talent, Brown would certainly be my pick between those 3. He's the most complete player of the bunch, and the easiest to build around. Hes also shown to be an incredible #2, arguably the best in the NBA outside of the Superteam Era and Davis

I also think people are selling Ben Simmons really short here. His career was ruined by injuries physically and mentally, but he was still an incredible player. He was a stud defensively, can run your offense, and before Doc and the gang through him under the bus he was getting to the line, and hitting his FT's. Yall are buggin if you don't think Simmons would excel if he was drafted by a team that had him playing the Aaron Gordon role, or the early Giannis role. He's essentially the Defensive version of Sabonis but with more ball skills and less shooting. He would still be a high pick, and might even go Top 3 in a legit redraft.

BI is similar to Simmons as well. In a vacuum I think he's just as talented as Pascal, just got shafted early on, and then got traded to a team that doesn't really have direction or structure.

1. Brown
2, Pascal
3. Sabonis
4. BI
5. Jamal
6. Murray
7. Ben
8. Brogs
9. Jakob
10 Zu

Great draft, people saying it was n't are wrong. The Top 7 are all All-NBA level guys and could be on championship rosters

Return to The General Board