Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,853

Re: Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV 

Post#41 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:31 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
I didn't say it matters; it was just interesting to me. The bigger story to me and something which does matter is that they didn't chose to put Cavs/Magic on Tru TV instead.

I'm sorry but people who aren't Cavs or Magic fans simply do not care too much about this series, even on a forum of die-hard NBA fans. As the Magic improve and Paolo becomes a bigger name, they'll generate more interest, but it hasn't happened yet.

This isn't how any of this works. You're aware they've been doing one team on NBATV on most week nights for playoff series for years, aren't you? They do all series on broadcast TV on the weekend, and then in nearly every case if there's three series being played on a week night one is delegated to NBA TV. There's no broadcasting that third series on simulcast for any of TNT's sister networks.

Pacers/Bucks game two was on NBA TV.

Today's unique because they're for some reason broadcasting this game on ESPN at 5:30PM EST/2:30PM PST. Again, the whole simulcast angle is irrelevant.

Yes, and it's always the series people care the least about. It's not random.

As for NBATV vs Tru TV, there's nothing I know of preventing them from putting the series on Tru TV to reach more viewers and putting the simulcast on NBA TV. If there's something in the contracts preventing that then I'm mistaken. I'm no longer sure what point you're trying to make though.

I think you're probably unsure of my point because your entire point seems to be to take a lot of random unrelated facts and try to paint it that no one cares about the Cavs/Magic and that it's such an irrelevant series that they wouldn't even broadcast it on TruTV.

Which doesn't happen anyways.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,930

Post#42 » by kuclas » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 pm

Cleveland choose this series by losing on purpose. Plus Orlando likely is a year away from being a real playoff team. I doubt Orlando would have made it out of the play in.

So just a weird match up Cleveland wanted by losing to charlotte end of the seaoson. Cleveland settling for first round win and likely losing in second round
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,269

Post#43 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:39 pm

Two small market teams that lack star power recognition. Small market teams can get attention but they need to be either excellent or interesting.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,978

Post#44 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:43 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
This isn't how any of this works. You're aware they've been doing one team on NBATV on most week nights for playoff series for years, aren't you? They do all series on broadcast TV on the weekend, and then in nearly every case if there's three series being played on a week night one is delegated to NBA TV. There's no broadcasting that third series on simulcast for any of TNT's sister networks.

Today's unique because they're for some reason broadcasting this game on ESPN at 5:30PM EST/2:30PM PST. Again, the whole simulcast angle is irrelevant.

As for NBATV vs Tru TV, there's nothing I know of preventing them from putting the series on Tru TV to reach more viewers and putting the simulcast on NBA TV. If there's something in the contracts preventing that then I'm mistaken. I'm no longer sure what point you're trying to make though.

I think you're probably unsure of my point because your entire point seems to be to take a lot of random unrelated facts and try to paint it that no one cares about the Cavs/Magic and that it's such an irrelevant series that they wouldn't even broadcast it on TruTV.

Which doesn't happen anyways.

Is your point that people do indeed care about the Cavs/Magic series, but it's not reflected in viewership numbers because people don't have access to the cable network the games air on? If that's what you're getting at, then I disagree.

And I didn't say "no one cares". I said people outside of Cavs/Magic fans don't care too much. It's obvious it's the first round series people care about the least. You can look at Game 1 viewership numbers across all 8 series if you want more direct evidence of that, or even just the 5 on cable since I'm sure you'll tell me ABC games will generate more viewers, which is true. The why can be debated, but you can't tell me there's a series people care less about.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,420

Post#45 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:On Monday, Knicks/Sixers had almost 10x as many viewers as Cavs/Magic did. Not that crazy when you consider everything, but the Tru TV simulcast of Knicks/Sixers alone had more viewers than Cavs/Magic did.

I mean the national carrier for that game on Monday was NBA TV.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Post#46 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:56 pm

Because all they play is basketball, very defense heavy but offense light.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,208

Post#47 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 pm

Bro nobody cares about Cleveland. I never seen someone say hey let's go to Cleveland for vacation. What's so special about Cleveland?

Joakim Noah is a legend.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 818

Post#48 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 pm

Every game in the series has been completely non-competitive.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,524

Post#49 » by nbafan38 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 pm

Three reasons imo

1. Nobody sees either of these teams making any serious noise in the playoffs
2. The games have been totally non competitive
3. The cavaliers style of play is not that appealing to most fans (although personally I like the defensive grinders).
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Post#50 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
I didn't say it matters; it was just interesting to me. The bigger story to me and something which does matter is that they didn't chose to put Cavs/Magic on Tru TV instead.

I'm sorry but people who aren't Cavs or Magic fans simply do not care too much about this series, even on a forum of die-hard NBA fans. As the Magic improve and Paolo becomes a bigger name, they'll generate more interest, but it hasn't happened yet.

Bally Sports carry both Magic and Cavs games. Not sure if that is why TruTV doesn’t carry it. But regardless we get your point, you and others aren’t interested in watching it. But for both fan based we will go on and cheer loudly for our respective teams.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,658

Post#51 » by SFour » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 pm

I'd rather watch NHL playoffs over the Cavs/Magic
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,978

Post#52 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Bally Sports carry both Magic and Cavs games. Not sure if that is why TruTV doesn’t carry it. But regardless we get your point, you and others aren’t interested in watching it. But for both fan based we will go on and cheer loudly for our respective teams.

As you should, and it's not like I have some weird rooting interest in seeing teams not generate excitement across the league. It would be great if that happens with every team and every series.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,518

Post#53 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 pm

Honestly neither team is quite worth watching "yet", i like both teams on paper but when the MIL/IND series is headed towards upset, the NYK/PHI series is super chippy, the MIA/BOS series tied, the LAC/DAL series tied, Lakers getting swept...there is no need to talk about a series like CLE/ORL
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,130

Post#54 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 am

Aight.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,090

Post#55 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 am

kuclas wrote:Cleveland choose this series by losing on purpose. Plus Orlando likely is a year away from being a real playoff team. I doubt Orlando would have made it out of the play in.

So just a weird match up Cleveland wanted by losing to charlotte end of the seaoson. Cleveland settling for first round win and likely losing in second round

what is a "real play off team"? The Magic won 47 games. More often than not, that gets you to the play offs in either conference. If you mean not "real contenders" sure, neither are most teams in the play offs.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 338

Post#56 » by trebone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 am

The issue i see is when these aging stars retire, the nba has done a poor job promoting alot of these young up and comers to the point the casuals wont know or care much about them.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,962

Post#57 » by tundraknight » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 am

GIMME_DATT wrote:These sport shows are going through the playoffs and not even talking about this series at all. Shouldn't they be taking about the entire playoffs. Paolo had a good game yesterday isn't he one of the young players you want to let the general public know about into the future.

Probably a similar reason as to why several non Cavs and Magic fans have went to the playoff series thread just to say how much both teams suck and neither team would even make the playoffs in the West.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,163

Post#58 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm

SFour wrote:I'd rather watch NHL playoffs over the Cavs/Magic

You’re a Toronto fan. Of course you would.

Raptors won like 10 games this year.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,185

Post#59 » by GooniesNeverDie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

I don’t get the media silence on Paolo going back to last year. But personally I don’t think either of these teams are legit so I don’t care to watch em. Until they win a playoff series that makes people take notice, I think they’ll be largely ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,144

Post#60 » by Lalouie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

because it's the cavs and magic. it's like watching a ukrainian art film doc. only windworst bontemps and lowe cares about those.

Return to The General Board