Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,657

Re: Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV 

Post#61 » by SFour » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
SFour wrote:I'd rather watch NHL playoffs over the Cavs/Magic

You’re a Toronto fan. Of course you would.

Raptors won like 10 games this year.

I wish they only won 10 games, we'd have a better chance of keeping the pick :winkgrin:
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,379

Post#62 » by Scalabrine » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Statlanta wrote:None of these teams will beat the 2nd round opponent and there might not be a single award winner from this series.

Basically mid basketball.

This mindset is part of the reason the NFL destroys the NBA in ratings.

I fully understand there are other factors in play, but the media really does a great job of covering every NFL team to some degree. The media pushes the Cowboys more than others, but they at least still focus on other teams and players a good bit.

The NBA/media only really pushes a handful of teams/players. Every other team is essentially a Harlem Globetrotters opponent to them. Would be interesting to see a tally of the amount of times ESPN mentioned the Lakers this season vs the amount of times they mentioned the Cavs. Meanwhile, the Cavs are likely to be in the second round while the Lakers are in danger of being swept.

From a marketing standpoint, I somewhat get it. The Lakers have the biggest fan base, therefore talking about them constantly will get more views, but I feel it’s a bit shortsighted as when you ignore teams to the degree the NBA/media does, it just creates a wider gap in interest between the most popular teams and least popular.

Like I said, I know there are other factors, it’s just interesting to see the different marketing strategies. For me, the NBAs is dreadful, but I’m sure Lakers fans love it haha.

I personally didn't hear much at about the Atlanta Falcons outside of them not playing Bijan Robinson more. Hell, the Texans made the playoffs and they barely got any exposure. The NFL is a whole different beast but they have a large set of hteir own issues too. I have three fantasy football teams and won 2 of them so it's not like I'm just some guy not paying attention either.
Go Knicks!
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,798

Post#63 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:44 pm

Why would they talk about these two teams when they can do a 20 minute segment on Lebron's social media activity?
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,519

Post#64 » by nbafan38 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm

This might be the best chance at a 7 game series in the first round lol.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,112

Post#65 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 pm

It's not relevant to most fans. Both teams need to continue to evolve but Cleveland has some concerns that need to be addressed this off-season. For instance, is Donovan Mitchell going to be part of the teams future, because I believe he doesn't want to be.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,421

Post#66 » by MrGoat » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 pm

When's the last time either of these teams have been past the first round? Casual fans only watch the playoffs and tune more in the deeper it gets and that's when players make their names known. Casual fans have probably never heard of any of the players on the Magic, and may only be familiar with Donovan Mitchell on the Cavs. There isn't much established bad blood between these teams either and the games have all been blowouts so far.

The best chance to get some eyeballs on this series would be for it to hit game 7. A game 7 is a game 7 and that will bring some viewers and maybe help these teams' visibility in the future
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,769

Post#67 » by dakomish23 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 pm

It’s more about the appeal of the other series in comparison
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 327

Post#68 » by uncleduck13 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 pm

They don’t wanna televise Paolo’s ascension
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,023

Post#69 » by shrink » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:56 pm

It’s like the WNBA. We feel like to be fair, we should care, but we just don’t.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,519

Post#70 » by nbafan38 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 pm

Once the lakers are done people will start noticing other teams. Also this series may outlast the rest which would give it a little attention. The only other one I could see maybe going 7 is 76ers/Knicks.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,379

Post#71 » by EmpireFalls » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 pm

It’s too sad.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,680

Post#72 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 pm

It's been four straight blowouts now, which isn't particularly interesting to watch for non-fans of the teams, yet it's also somehow been the closest series so far with it being tied 2-2.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#73 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm

dakomish23 wrote:It’s more about the appeal of the other series in comparison

I'm not watching one more second of OKC vs NOP though.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 633

Post#74 » by Chokic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 pm

Paolo is one of the least hyped/talked sbout good 1st picks by media and rgm in recent memory. Scrubs like ben simmons got way more hype attention.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,121

Post#75 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 pm

Chokic wrote:Paolo is one of the least hyped/talked sbout good 1st picks by media and rgm in recent memory. Scrubs like ben simmons got way more hype attention.

And Paolo made the all-star team and Team USA. Literally makes no sense.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,857

Post#76 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 pm

Adam Silver was at today's game, so hopefully, he'll have them start hyping the Magic.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#77 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm

GIMME_DATT wrote:These sport shows are going through the playoffs and not even talking about this series at all. Shouldn't they be taking about the entire playoffs. Paolo had a good game yesterday isn't he one of the young players you want to let the general public know about into the future.

Player and teams with less fans get less media attention. The lack of media attention for relatively unpopular players and teams make it harder for them to build fanbases. Opposite is true for teams with national followings (Lakers) and players with national followings (Steph). The business logic of media coverage makes the rich richer and poor poorer when it comes to attention.

Clubs like Cleveland and Orlando and players such as Donovan Mitchell need deep playoff runs to develop fan bases and get the attention of the broader basketball media.

It isn't a conspiracy. Just plain reality that these are for-profit companies and that influences coverage.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,627

Post#78 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 am

Scalabrine wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Statlanta wrote:None of these teams will beat the 2nd round opponent and there might not be a single award winner from this series.

Basically mid basketball.

This mindset is part of the reason the NFL destroys the NBA in ratings.

I fully understand there are other factors in play, but the media really does a great job of covering every NFL team to some degree. The media pushes the Cowboys more than others, but they at least still focus on other teams and players a good bit.

The NBA/media only really pushes a handful of teams/players. Every other team is essentially a Harlem Globetrotters opponent to them. Would be interesting to see a tally of the amount of times ESPN mentioned the Lakers this season vs the amount of times they mentioned the Cavs. Meanwhile, the Cavs are likely to be in the second round while the Lakers are in danger of being swept.

From a marketing standpoint, I somewhat get it. The Lakers have the biggest fan base, therefore talking about them constantly will get more views, but I feel it’s a bit shortsighted as when you ignore teams to the degree the NBA/media does, it just creates a wider gap in interest between the most popular teams and least popular.

Like I said, I know there are other factors, it’s just interesting to see the different marketing strategies. For me, the NBAs is dreadful, but I’m sure Lakers fans love it haha.

I personally didn't hear much at about the Atlanta Falcons outside of them not playing Bijan Robinson more. Hell, the Texans made the playoffs and they barely got any exposure. The NFL is a whole different beast but they have a large set of hteir own issues too. I have three fantasy football teams and won 2 of them so it's not like I'm just some guy not paying attention either.

Houston was a story all year long, I'm not sure how you missed that.

Atlanta didn't get talked about as much as others, but they still got talked about significantly more than a team like the Hornets or Pacers do in the NBA.
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 239

Post#79 » by JT3000 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am

kuclas wrote:Cleveland choose this series by losing on purpose. Plus Orlando likely is a year away from being a real playoff team. I doubt Orlando would have made it out of the play in.

So just a weird match up Cleveland wanted by losing to charlotte end of the seaoson. Cleveland settling for first round win and likely losing in second round

If the 5th seed isn't a "real playoff team" then what the hell are the Sixers? :lol: The Magic didn't participate in your coveted play-in because THEY DIDN'T NEED TO!
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,657

Post#80 » by schnakenpopanz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 pm

just look at the games who are throughout the week not on national tv.
this shows you how popuplar these teams are.
a nightmare for nba media would be a final between twolves and magic
hell they struggle to promote jokic because he is not the usual attention seeking superstar
free steve nash!

Return to The General Board