Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,742

Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV 

Post#1 » by GIMME_DATT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:48 pm

These sport shows are going through the playoffs and not even talking about this series at all. Shouldn't they be taking about the entire playoffs. Paolo had a good game yesterday isn't he one of the young players you want to let the general public know about into the future.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,900

Re: Why is there no talk about Magic/Cavs series on TV 

Post#2 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 pm

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around, does it make a sound? Lol
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,336

Post#3 » by Statlanta » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 pm

None of these teams will beat the 2nd round opponent and there might not be a single award winner from this series.

Basically mid basketball.
Read on Twitter
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,457

Post#4 » by JXL » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 pm

GIMME_DATT wrote:These sport shows are going through the playoffs and not even talking about this series at all. Shouldn't they be taking about the entire playoffs. Paolo had a good game yesterday isn't he one of the young players you want to let the general public know about into the future.

No, because its boring. When Paolo gets more exposure in the general public's eye, then they'll talk about him.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,443

Post#5 » by Bornstellar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 pm

Honest answer? Because no one aside from those two fanbases cares. Not trying to be mean or anything, but it's just the truth. They're also not "interesting" teams and don't have any kind of rivalry going like the Heat/Celtics, Nuggets/Lakers, Sixers/Knicks, etc.
LaLover11
Rookie
And1: 676

Post#6 » by LaLover11 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 pm

Because that might be the most unattractive series in a long time
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,931

Post#7 » by LarsV8 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 pm

Neither are contenders, no real super stars, both are small markets.

Classic NBA TV playoff matchup.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,089

Post#8 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 pm

Too much defense :P
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,962

Post#9 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 pm

I can tell you that no one knows the series exists. I’ve been watching though. It’s just the forgotten series
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,045

Post#10 » by whatisacenter » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 pm

BORING-Reading this thread will probably be more exciting than watching these two teams play.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,627

Post#11 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 pm

Statlanta wrote:None of these teams will beat the 2nd round opponent and there might not be a single award winner from this series.

This mindset is part of the reason the NFL destroys the NBA in ratings.

I fully understand there are other factors in play, but the media really does a great job of covering every NFL team to some degree. The media pushes the Cowboys more than others, but they at least still focus on other teams and players a good bit.

The NBA/media only really pushes a handful of teams/players. Every other team is essentially a Harlem Globetrotters opponent to them. Would be interesting to see a tally of the amount of times ESPN mentioned the Lakers this season vs the amount of times they mentioned the Cavs. Meanwhile, the Cavs are likely to be in the second round while the Lakers are in danger of being swept.

From a marketing standpoint, I somewhat get it. The Lakers have the biggest fan base, therefore talking about them constantly will get more views, but I feel it’s a bit shortsighted as when you ignore teams to the degree the NBA/media does, it just creates a wider gap in interest between the most popular teams and least popular.

Like I said, I know there are other factors, it’s just interesting to see the different marketing strategies. For me, the NBAs is dreadful, but I’m sure Lakers fans love it haha.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,338

Post#12 » by jkvonny » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm

The marketing in the NBA stinks.

You don't see this issue with the NFL. No matter what kind of market the teams plays in.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,034

Post#13 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm

because it's one of the least paid attention to 1st round playoff series that I can ever remember.
TimDunkin
Freshman
And1: 139

Post#14 » by TimDunkin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:32 pm

As others have already said, neither team is expected to make it past the second round and there aren't any particularly compelling storylines to promote.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 287

Post#15 » by WentzerWuver » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:36 pm

GIMME_DATT wrote:These sport shows are going through the playoffs and not even talking about this series at all. Shouldn't they be taking about the entire playoffs. Paolo had a good game yesterday isn't he one of the young players you want to let the general public know about into the future.

They play a clean came by creating no drama but that's not the only series. No one really talking about OKC and Pelicans or the Pacers and Bucks.

If they start drama, it will be covered If that's what interest you.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,338

Post#16 » by jkvonny » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Statlanta wrote:None of these teams will beat the 2nd round opponent and there might not be a single award winner from this series.

This mindset is part of the reason the NFL destroys the NBA in ratings.

I fully understand there are other factors in play, but the media really does a great job of covering every NFL team to some degree. The media pushes the Cowboys more than others, but they at least still focus on other teams and players a good bit.

The NBA/media only really pushes a handful of teams/players. Every other team is essentially a Harlem Globetrotters opponent to them. Would be interesting to see a tally of the amount of times ESPN mentioned the Lakers this season vs the amount of times they mentioned the Cavs. Meanwhile, the Cavs are likely to be in the second round while the Lakers are in danger of being swept.

From a marketing standpoint, I somewhat get it. The Lakers have the biggest fan base, therefore talking about them constantly will get more views, but I feel it’s a bit shortsighted as when you ignore teams to the degree the NBA/media does, it just creates a wider gap in interest between the most popular teams and least popular.

Like I said, I know there are other factors, it’s just interesting to see the different marketing strategies. For me, the NBAs is dreadful, but I’m sure Lakers fans love it haha.

I remember back in '99, when the San Antonio Spurs won their first NBA championship ever, beating the NY Knicks. E$PN SportsCenter showed our RiverWalk Parade/Alamodome ceremony highlight.....only briefly talked about it and showed a 20-30 second clip of the celebration...... and then on to the next topic. :lol:
While FoxSports Southwest (regional) had extensive coverage of it.

In the meantime, the very next season. 2000. LA Lakers beats the Indiana Pacers in the NBA Finals. Lakers first NBA title in over a decade ('80s Showtime Lakers) . E$PN SportsCenter was all over that one! Like a 10-15 minute segment of the parade, stage celebrations, speeches, interviews, trophy presentation, etc
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,975

Post#17 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm

On Monday, Knicks/Sixers had almost 10x as many viewers as Cavs/Magic did. Not that crazy when you consider everything, but the Tru TV simulcast of Knicks/Sixers alone had more viewers than Cavs/Magic did.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,856

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:42 pm

If it wasn't for JAFRO there'd be no reason to watch that series... it's just two mid placeholder teams.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,089

Post#19 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:On Monday, Knicks/Sixers had almost 10x as many viewers as Cavs/Magic did. Not that crazy when you consider everything, but the Tru TV simulcast of Knicks/Sixers alone had more viewers than Cavs/Magic did.

Where do you find these numbers?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,868

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:On Monday, Knicks/Sixers had almost 10x as many viewers as Cavs/Magic did. Not that crazy when you consider everything, but the Tru TV simulcast of Knicks/Sixers alone had more viewers than Cavs/Magic did.

Where do you find these numbers?
He makes stuff up. He was in the Magic Cavs thread trashing both teams before the series.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board